Cupcake Wars: Icing at 50 Paces

• Please log in to reply

574 replies to this topic

iggystar

iggystar

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 23, 2010 @ 1:26 PM

I never watched this show because I love cupcakes so much that it would be like torture to see such yumminess without having one to eat.

This is from someone who's paid four bucks for one cupcake.

However, it seems like the show is getting bad reviews so I guess I'm not missing anything.

TiffanyNichelle

TiffanyNichelle

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2010 @ 1:43 PM

I watched it last night it was so awful. It took itself far too seriously but at the same time was way too silly with the whole "would you date this cupcake" mess. When the lady with the curly hair and the crazy eyes started talking about hand feeding someone breakfast in bed to the guy she was working with (I missed the beginning, who was that) and he gave her a "seriously, you're nuts" look, I about lost it.

I knew the vegan chick, who I could not stand, would win just based on her cheesy display. Cheesy yes but a lot easier to work with than a giant bed in the middle of a club.

MsLawDawg

MsLawDawg

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2010 @ 3:17 PM

I guess the handwriting was on the wall with the George Lopez golf challenge. I couldn't believe that the "cupcake" who had the most ridiculous display won. I thought the nice glass table atop the metal golf tees was much better than some stupid "Ken and Barbie play mini-golf" display. Shame on me for continuing to watch this tripe.

needschocolate

needschocolate

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2010 @ 4:27 PM

I dislike that French (?) judge so much, besides the fact that I can't tell at times what the hell he is saying.

At one point last night they used subtitles for one of his sentences - but only for one of his sentences. It was very random. It wasn't like that sentence was any harder to understand than anything else he says. If anything, that sentence was easier to understand. Maybe it was the only sentence the guy that does the subtitles could figure out.

Not only does the prettiest cupcaker win, but you can always tell who is the next to go by who brags the most. Didn't need that rule this time because it was all so obvious. They had nothing but praise for Barbie, but always had negatives for everyone else. Yet at the end they tell us how it was thisclose.

The only good thing I can say about this show is that it makes me want to bake cupcakes (I don't think my scale would think that is a good thing though).

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Moderator

Posted Jun 23, 2010 @ 11:10 PM

I just figured who the French judge reminds me of: Mr Rumbold from Are You Being Served, sans big ears

I'd actually rather listen to Mr. Rumbold; at least I can decipher what he's saying. It amused me last night that one of the contestants had something they muttered subtitled (something like "I'm so screwed"), but they don't subtitle Judge the Indecipherable.

eliza422

eliza422

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 23, 2010 @ 11:23 PM

Just watched the matchmaker episode. It made me laugh when the guy baker said something like, "these are not your grandmother's cupcakes."
Yeah, OK, I totally didn't notice the HUGE cupcake phenomenon sweeping the nation over the past few years...I thought only little old ladies baked cupcakes.
Same feeling with vegan cupcake girl. I get it, you want to make vegan cupcakes...there are tons of people out there like that too.
Does anyone fall for this crap?

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Jun 24, 2010 @ 1:19 AM

You know what's bad? The graphic they use in the commercial to promo this show with the cupcakes falling down looks very similar to one they did for Breaking Bad a few weeks ago, only it started out as chicken falling and morphed into meth rocks. So in my twisted brain every time I see the commercial all I see is crystal meth.

wyndham

wyndham

Fanatic

Posted Jun 27, 2010 @ 5:32 PM

Just watched the "aphrodisiac" show-that was a big mistake! Why isn't there a hard and fast rule that anyone (male or female) that is baking MUST fasten back their nasty hair? I couldn't begin to enjoy the show for imagining biting into one of those cupcakes and finding a big old nasty hair!

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Jun 29, 2010 @ 9:04 PM

Okay I think I'm done with this fake show. I only watched tonight because it was for Ace of Cakes 100th anniversary and featured Duff as the guest judge. I was certain that the guy had won. His cakes where fair more daring and his display with the exception of the flowers looked like something I would expect to see representing Charm City bakery. The woman makes a cupcake that taste like cigarettes (ew!) and then has a cake that looks more like a party at the Hard Rock and she win?! I guy you really do just need to be cute and female to win this.

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 1:04 AM

you really do just need to be cute and female to win this

This is exactly what I've been saying. I wasn't sure at first which female was going to win, but the winner had the tightest jeans, so I had a feeling it would be her (despite the fact that her eyebrows scare the hell out of me). I don't even know why men even bother to compete, this guy lost to someone who made tobacco cupcakes, I mean seriously, who makes tobacco cupcakes?

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 1:09 AM

I don't even know why men even bother to compete, this guy lost to someone who made tobacco cupcakes, I mean seriously, who makes tobacco cupcakes?

Tobacco cupcakes that Duff himself said tasted nasty! I was completely baffled by that.

radicalmoderate

radicalmoderate

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 7:22 AM

Why isn't there a hard and fast rule that anyone (male or female) that is baking MUST fasten back their nasty hair?

Well I hope you missed last night's episode because there was a ton more cute floppy hair flying around.

I wasn't sure at first which female was going to win, but the winner had the tightest jeans, so I had a feeling it would be her (despite the fact that her eyebrows scare the hell out of me).

I was distracted by the eyebrows the whole episode. Seriously, put down the pencil. And I can't believe this woman won. I thought she was going to be eliminated in the first round they HATED her stuff. I was flabbergasted when she got to the finals.

Tobacco cupcakes that Duff himself said tasted nasty! I was completely baffled by that.

Ok, I missed part of the judging. Did anyone happen to mention that tobacco is POISONOUS and shouldn't be ingested? I can just see some home cook thinking this is a good idea and killing off an enitre wedding party at a shower.

This woman won by poisoning the judges. The other contestant must have served them baby poop in cupcake papers with a cinnamon buttercream frosting.

charmgirl

charmgirl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 7:36 AM

Yeah -- it seems like the cute girl always wins. But, for real what was up with girlfriend's eyebrows!! She always looks surprised. It was freaking me out.

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 8:11 AM

I've always wondered what toddler pageant contestants grow up to be (other than overweight trucker looking mothers who perpetuate the cycle by sending their own toddlers through the machine).

Twice I've seen this show and twice the winner seems to use her icing as makeup, wear over-sprayed hair that I suspect is a kitchen hazard what with open flames and talk like they are six years old at a My Little Pony /Rainbow Bright convention.

The host is so bad and I'm hoping writes his own incredibly stupid lines. I'd hate to think there are two people stupid enough to be involved in that idiocy.

And I like a good cupcake all well and good. But maybe our economy deserved to go in the crapper if there are so many shops that seem to make nothing but cupcakes (or maybe it is just the editing and these people have what I call bake shops that are just known for their cupcakes? But the narrative suggests to me at least that most of these people have "Cupcake Shops"). Cupcake love aside, sometimes I prefer a good cinnamon roll or danish or pastry. And my business always goes to the place that consistently can do more than one thing well no matter how special.

The only way Ace of cakes could be worse as entertainment for me is if Guy Fieri or the Neeleys hosted the show or were perpetual guest stars. That Buddy show on TLC is inexplicable to me as entertainment what with the screaming, the incredibly contrived moments and the fact that his cakes look like the sloppiest pieces of crap my locale grocer puts out on the bargain rack after sitting in the case for a couple of days.

So this show baffles me. How on earth did it get the go? I mean besides the fact that FN craps on a plate and calls it dinner over and over again program wise and somehow gets viewers and therefore sponsors to grab a fork and get in line for seconds.

MoBA

MoBA

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 9:30 AM

The host, Justin, is actually a magician who works under the name Justin Kredible. He's a lot more entertaining in that capacity, and WAAAAAY hotter up close.

Hailey

Hailey

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 1:30 PM

The only way Ace of cakes could be worse as entertainment for me is if Guy Fieri or the Neeleys hosted the show or were perpetual guest stars.

I thought Duff was pretty subdued, but you're right, his douche bar is set really low. And please, for the love of all things holy, DO NOT let the Neeleys near this show. I can't stand her baby voice.

Nutjob

Nutjob

Stalker

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 1:39 PM

I still can't get over it... tobacco cupcakes won. Gross.

I think I'm done with this stupid Barbie-loving show.

FemaleViewer

FemaleViewer

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 1:40 PM

Not only did she make the disgusting tobacco cupcakes, but I thought her final design had nothing to do with the fact that they were celebrating the shows' 100th episode. The display was all about Duff and from what little I've seen of the show, it is an ensemble of bakers working together not a bunch of band members at a jam session. The male baker was robbed and I hate that they don't even give a word of explanation or condolence to the losers.

fruitsnack

fruitsnack

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 2:59 PM

The thing I couldn't get past (well, *besides* the nasty tobacco cupcakes that all of the judges hated) was the fact that the lower levels of the winning display weren't more than six inches from the ground. That . . . just doesn't seem sanitary.

radicalmoderate

radicalmoderate

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 5:29 PM

The display was all about Duff and from what little I've seen of the show, it is an ensemble of bakers working together not a bunch of band members at a jam session.

That made no sense to me either. This episode was terribly disjointed.

The host, Justin, is actually a magician who works under the name Justin Kredible.

And his cousin Justin Case sells insurance. I disliked the guy before but that incredibly ridiculous backstory makes it practically impossible to even look at him.

ronoolhi

ronoolhi

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 7:08 PM

annoyed that the Barbie contestent won, yet again, especially with nasty tobacco cupcakes over what appeared to be much better ones put up by the guy, then I read this and it makes it all the more annoying...

http://www.azcentral...s.html#comments

Major Misfit

Major Misfit

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 8:05 PM

This woman won by poisoning the judges.

Having seen these judges, this might not actually be construed as a bad thing.

I did not watch this week's episode because my level of self loathing was pretty low, but another hottie wins? How long until Food Network debuts their new show, "Cupcake Cuties?"

Maverick

Maverick

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 8:10 PM

who works under the name Justin Kredible

I'd say the odds of him writing those lame jokes himself just went up exponetially.

luna azul

luna azul

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 8:30 PM

I think the winner won because she knew Duff does guitar, and the loser lost because he didn't know that Duff doesn't do flowers. But winner-girl should have lost because she nearly made me lose my cookies over the shredded cigarettes in the batter and the little fondant ciggies as decorations.

I am at least glad that the judges told the two finalists that neither display was really winner material. Pity they had to give one of them the prize.

Edited by luna azul, Jun 30, 2010 @ 8:31 PM.

AllisonJenny

AllisonJenny

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 1, 2010 @ 1:22 AM

I did not watch this week's episode because my level of self loathing was pretty low, but another hottie wins? How long until Food Network debuts their new show, "Cupcake Cuties?"

I assure you that the lady who won was far from hot. She had weird eyebrows, long bleached hair with a braid across the top & a giant black bow. It made her look like someone slapped a doll wig on her head. Plus she kept switching between little girl talk & Amy Poehler's Cool Mom

Eww at her tobacco cupcakes. I guess she doesn't get that Duff's bakers like the stronger stuff

Edited by AllisonJenny, Jul 1, 2010 @ 1:28 AM.

MoBA

MoBA

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 1, 2010 @ 9:54 AM

And his cousin Justin Case sells insurance. I disliked the guy before but that incredibly ridiculous backstory makes it practically impossible to even look at him.

I actually do like him a lot as a magician, but between this show and a cringeworthy guest spot on "Suite Life of Zack & Cody" (which is, admittedly, completely unwatchable anyway), I'm beginning to fear for the man's career.

I'm glad that someone pointed out that tobacco is unsafe to eat. Why on earth would Duff allow that girl to win, knowing that approximately 300 of the cupcakes at his show's anniversary party would be the inedible cigarette ones?

AllisonJenny

AllisonJenny

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 3, 2010 @ 12:11 AM

I guess Erica in the Ace of Cakes episode won't be the only pilot contestant to return. I was scrolling through my DVR listings and noticed the wife from Whodidily Cupcakes will be on an upcoming episode.

Edited by AllisonJenny, Jul 3, 2010 @ 12:20 AM.

mhinrichs

mhinrichs

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 4, 2010 @ 6:28 PM

Duff's party was really small, wasn't it? There couldn't have been more than 20 people in that room.

I wonder what they do with all the losing cupcakes and display. Set it up at someone else's party?

AllisonJenny

AllisonJenny

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 5, 2010 @ 8:36 AM

Duff's party was really small, wasn't it? There couldn't have been more than 20 people in that room.

I wonder what they do with all the losing cupcakes and display. Set it up at someone else's party?

Natalie Slater, one of the pilot episode judges, mentioned this on her blog:

"My grandpa wanted to know what we did with all those cupcakes."

The ones that didnít go to the Alma Awards were eaten by the cast and crew. Yeah, thatís right. We ate them. Weíre on a show called Cupcake Wars! We obviously enjoy eating cupcakes!

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Jul 6, 2010 @ 9:47 PM

Seems FN finally had a good night. Cupcake Wars actually had a winner that made sense. The other contestants made mistakes that I knew would get them sent home.The Whodidly lady was all bells and whistles. She made basic cupcakes and tried to wow them with a bling of a display. The redhead had more creative cakes and except for the table cloth her display made much more sense.