Cupcake Wars: Icing at 50 Paces

• Please log in to reply

574 replies to this topic

Gloworm

Gloworm

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 11:48 AM

What I get less and less from this show is actual cupcake baking. So much of these recent episodes is finding the least dessert-y ingredients (mac and cheese, tacos?) and baking something with them.
As a budding little baker myself, I feel like in earlier episodes, I got a little something from the competition. A tip here or an idea there. Maybe insight on certain ingredients and how to use them.
Now, it's just a baking freak show. The singing in the most recent "Glee" episode was completely silly. I fast forward through most of the final round because I don't need to see these guys making more obvious statements for the camera or yelling "go go go!" in harmony.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 11:18 PM

While I do feel like the Championship episodes have upped the freak factor a bit, I think this show has always been a culinary freak show.

What kind of tips do you remember getting? I can't honestly think of one but since they didn't think they provided recipes, I haven't been watching this with the intent to replicate what they're doing.*

*When I was writing that, I decided to double check if they offered them and to my surprise, they do.

Edited by Irlandesa, May 28, 2012 @ 11:22 PM.

eliza422

eliza422

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 3:26 PM

I'm not sure why I watch this show, but I do!

This champions season is really crazy...and I would never eat any of the "savory" cupcakes ever...if I want a taco flavored thing, I'll eat a taco!

Then I'll eat a vanilla cupcake for dessert...

I'm not liking the extra challenges, like the extra cupcake, the mosaic, etc. I don't think it adds to the competition.

Will I continue to watch? Of course! I'm a total loser...

Edited by eliza422, May 29, 2012 @ 3:27 PM.

MsLawDawg

MsLawDawg

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 8:41 AM

There's something about Kyra that rubs me the wrong way. I think it's the fake smile and her superior blahblahi'mglutenfreecakes attitude that unnerves me. But Candace and Florian seem gaga over her so we'll see how she fares in the final.

Totally agreed. She is such a special snowflake. Her talking head confessionals are just so rah-rah-for-me and I would have sworn she was a former tutu wearer, but maybe not. What I can't figure out is whether her tan is spray-on, tanning bed or natural, but she has the clear raccoon-eyes markings. Maybe she just has undereye circles, but she's too precious to have them. If she wins the whole thing, I will be pissed, but not surprised.

I'm glad the guy this week won--his name escapes me, but I think he's very talented.

I still can't figure out why I watch this show, but I continue to.

Neeney

Neeney

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 10:14 AM

Her talking head confessionals are just so rah-rah-for-me and I would have sworn she was a former tutu wearer, but maybe not. What I can't figure out is whether her tan is spray-on, tanning bed or natural, but she has the clear raccoon-eyes markings. Maybe she just has undereye circles, but she's too precious to have them. If she wins the whole thing, I will be pissed, but not surprised.

She was the tutu wearer, but the way she wore it in the episode you couldn't see it unless you looked hard.

mlp

mlp

Couch Potato

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 12:51 PM

I'm glad the guy this week won--his name escapes me, but I think he's very talented.

Kevin. I've liked him since his intro at the beginning of his first show. He sounded intelligent and he looked clean, well-groomed and appropriately dressed. By the end of the show, I could see he's also a good baker, a creative thinker and a nice guy. He didn't disappoint during the semi-final. I hope he wins the whole thing.

I thought this show was totally goofy when I first started watching it but it's grown on me. Once I realized that Justin's role is to be the corny moderator, I began to appreciate how well he does that. I also like Florian and Candace so now I'm a regular viewer.

kittykat

kittykat

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 3:13 PM

Not totally. It cost a lot of money, had technical and response issues that kept it in previews, and people predicted an early death but it's actually making money. Here's an article about it. I don't know if it'll ever make money but it's defying expectations.

Huh, interesting. I hadn't heard about it for a while so I just figured it closed.

I'm glad Kevin won too, seems cool enough and I like him better than Kyra, though I almost died a little when he mentioned that he was making Red Velvet for his extra cupcake. I'm curious what the Round 4 twist will be. They've had "Use all ingredients in Challenge 1", "Make a silly mosaic", and "Extra Cupcake in Challenge 2." I like how they've all been different but still fair.

Shnuglet

Shnuglet

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 4:29 PM

The added "challenges" have turned what was pleasant entertainment into a freak show. Why can't they just let us watch the contestants bake some delicious, uniquely flavored, beautifully decorated cupcakes? Why do they have to sing and do art projects and figure out how to make tasty buttercream using kalamata olives, horseradish and beef jerky?

And another thought. It's weird that in the waiting room, while the judges are deliberating, none of the contestants talk to each other, even to their partners. On Chopped and all of the other competition shows I've seen (a large sample), everyone chats about their performance and what they think will happen. These guys just sit there looking nervous or despairing.

katnapped

katnapped

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 3:56 PM

Well this should be fun for everyone...Bob and Susie (yeah, THEM) will be (helping?) determine who actually wins the $50,000.

needschocolate

needschocolate

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 4:54 PM

A helpful tip for all those watching Cupcake Wars on a DVR --- anytime someone tastes their batter and says "This isn't right" start Fastforwarding. They always go to a commercial and then repeat the same 20 seconds after they come back. Same for anytime someone drops or burns something.

davout1806

davout1806

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 9:52 AM

I haven't watched Cupcake Wars in the past year or so, but I wondered how people felt about Susie Fogel and Tuchman being on the Championship series. I'm not fond of either of them from Next Food Network Star and I just wondered if they are better on this show? Thanks for any info.

Neeney

Neeney

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 11:00 AM

They aren't regulars. They are only on the last one of the series and that doesn't air until Sunday.

MsLawDawg

MsLawDawg

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 12:19 PM

Geez, I saw the commercial for Suze and the Tusch as judges and about flipped. That means for The Next Food Network Star Viewers, who also watch Cupcake Wars, we can look forward to 2 1/2 hours of "The Network" (a.k.a. Suzie and Bob). I hate to admit it, but I'm somewhat looking forward to it in a "trainwreck" kind of way. I'm interested to see what event the cupcakes will be used for.

Kevin, no matter what you do in the finale, never underestimate the power of the tutu!

goodlucinda

goodlucinda

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2012 @ 4:09 PM

I agree Kevin (Minneapolis) is awesome. Gluten-free Kyra does rub me a little bit the wrong way, but she's local for me (Portland) and I will probably try her shop at some point.

Anyway, my question from the Glee episode: how did you interpret the mac & cheese cupcakes? (I like that guy from Omaha but can't remember his name--Jone Brothers shop?) Were they just cupcake-sized servings of m&c or actually muffiny things? Recipe doesn't seem to be on the FN site. Thanks!

Neeney

Neeney

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 8:01 PM

I'm very happy with the winner.

Fuzubanu

Fuzubanu

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 8:04 PM

Me too. I was super worried that it was going to be Vegan girl, since she's a pretty girl and this is Cupcake Wars. I muted my tv any time Bob and Susie got ready to talk. Those two are so in love with themselves that it detracts from any program they're on.

xingcat

xingcat

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 8:13 PM

I'm so glad that Kevin won. His cupcakes always looked the best to me, and he didn't rely on gimmicky crap. Both displays were great, though the Champions rounds really underscored that the displays are only very barely representations of what the bakers want and are really just whatever the carpenters can come up with.

I think next season, they're going to have to revamp this show so that the format isn't so predictable. Give them something other than weirdo ingredients to incorporate, and make the finale based on something other than who can build the coolest set of cupcake shelves.

Neeney

Neeney

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 9:26 PM

I really thought they were setting up Kyra for the win, so I was thrilled when Kevin won. I've liked him each time I've seen him and think I'd really love to eat his cupcakes!

mlp

mlp

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 10:15 PM

I've liked Kevin since his first show but I didn't realize how invested I was in him winning until I thought he might lose the first round to the snippy young woman with the odious mother. I liked the black woman and the pretty gluten-free girl but I really wanted to see the intelligent guy with beautiful eyes take the win. His cupcakes all looked good and he was very creative. Needless to say, I was happy with the outcome.

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 1:49 AM

I can't believe Medusa said something to one of them about knowing the cupcakes but not knowing the contestant. WTF???? This isn't TNFS, it's Cupcake Wars, nobody is getting their own show, nobody needs to come up with stories for you.

CPP83

CPP83

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 8:20 AM

I think Kevin deserved the win, if not for his cupcakes which did sound quite delicious, but for the fact that his display was the best by far, probably of this entire season. He really knew how to win on this show, and it showed through in the end. I can almost forgive him for his Glee win, almost.

I thought the writing was on the wall for he and Kyra to face off in the final two, I don't even know why the other two showed up really, they never had a chance unless Kevin or Kyra set fire to their station, Justin, or the double mint twin guest judges of ineptitude.

nobody is getting their own show, nobody needs to come up with stories for you

Now we all know what goes on in the dark recesses of her mind. To her everybody lives in a permanent state of battling to get onto her amazing channel to create an amazing show on which they cook amazing food while beguiling the world with amazing life stories that amaze us all, amazingly.

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2012 @ 2:52 AM

I'm really tired of the disgusting savory items they have to use, collard greens? okra? Why? Why can't they just make good cupcakes instead of trying to make a cupcake using ingredients that should never be used.

Eyevee

Eyevee

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 27, 2012 @ 8:42 PM

I always wonder about the people at these events that bite into a cupcake made out of kale and baked beans. Maybe in the first round they could all make the same cupcake. If all four of them made a vanilla cupcake or chocolate or whatever, the differences in the quality of the bakers product would be more apparent.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 7:23 AM

Savory ingredients would have to be used carefully in a cupcake I'd think. Bacon and maple icing are said to go well together. But the episode with the Mercury Space Program anniversary party...the "moon" ingredients. Swiss cheese? Rock salt? I can't think it would be nice to bite into a bunch of that. Not in a cake. I thought they all did pretty well with what they had to work with, including the time limit. But why did the one woman keep crying?

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2012 @ 2:12 AM

They brought back scary eyebrow lady! And this time she was orange too! She absolutely freaks me out, I have never seen eyebrows like that before on anyone. Rasta head lady was also on again, I don't know how she can keep her head up with all those dreadlocks piled on her head.

MsLawDawg

MsLawDawg

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2012 @ 9:37 AM

They brought back scary eyebrow lady! And this time she was orange too! She absolutely freaks me out, I have never seen eyebrows like that before on anyone. Rasta head lady was also on again, I don't know how she can keep her head up with all those dreadlocks piled on her head.

I hate to say this, but WTH happened to scary eyebrow lady? Now it's not just her eyebrows, it's her whole face. She looked like she'd just come back from the beach and was peeling from a really bad sunburn. And what was with her hair? It looked like she was growing out one color, yet it was long enough for her to cut the other color off. I couldn't even concentrate on the stupid mistakes she made, for looking at her. Did she do a chemical peel before competing? It was very weird. That "patriotic" cupcake she made the second round looked like a cupcake for a child who had a July 4th birthday.

And I too wonder how Rasta/Pasta Head lady's head can tolerate all that weight. Where was Rasta/Pasta Head lady's friend? I thought last time she had a female assistant with that same hairstyle and the ridiculous outfit that looked like they should be serving at a cheap German restaurant. I was frightened that after all Anthony did, Rasta/Pasta Head would win on her display because Anthony made the fatal flaw of not putting USO on the display. Rasta/Pasta's display was pretty good, although I was amazed that Anthony could inspire Florian to say he had no criticims about his cupcakes. I would have fainted dead away if I were him. Glad that he won, and I noticed they put the USO logo on the display at the event.

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2012 @ 8:58 PM

I hate to say this, but WTH happened to scary eyebrow lady? Now it's not just her eyebrows, it's her whole face. She looked like she'd just come back from the beach and was peeling from a really bad sunburn.

I think it's just fake bake, probably from a tube, that stuff usually leaves people pretty orange.

I was frightened that after all Anthony did, Rasta/Pasta Head would win on her display because Anthony made the fatal flaw of not putting USO on the display.

I couldn't believe that either, how could someone who won this show before not know enough to put the name of the event on your display? I thought Rasta lady had a much better display, but I think he actually won for his cupcakes.

pcthegreat

pcthegreat

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 7, 2012 @ 8:04 PM

So is Cupcake Wars the new "Food Network Challenge"? Because this show is on in the same time slot and is on every single week just like FNC was. Does anyone know if FNC was officially cancelled?

AwNutz

AwNutz

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 12:21 AM

pcthegreat - I kind of think it is. Did a little sleuthing over on the Food Network website, and no episodes for the show have been shot since 2011. It's only airing on Friday mornings at 10 EST/9 CST.

I was so glad that Rasta lady didn't win. Beyond the fact that I abhor dreadlocks (nasty, smelly, dirty) as a general rule, much less in a kitchen (bound or otherwise), she just grated. His cupcakes sounded DIVINE! I was thrilled to see a man win again. (I usually want to beat the bleached blonde, tu-tu wearing twits over the head with their spatulas.)

xyzzy

xyzzy

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 7:04 AM

One of my favorite things about cupcakes is the inventiveness of the decorations, and this show just doesn't give them enough time to do something stunning. Melting icing makes me angry. And I don't like the third display round, because they're just making tweaked versions of the round 2 cakes. And the inevitably savory first round bugs me, too. I suppose I could be convinced to eat a chicken cupcake, but my mind would be thinking "muffin," not cupcake, icing and all.