Cupcake Wars: Icing at 50 Paces

• Please log in to reply

574 replies to this topic

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 1:04 AM

Maybe they didn't, maybe his name is Ed, or Tom, or Stan, or something like that & he changed it for something different.

It was the female finalist, but maybe. I don't know why though.

LOL, I wasn't paying attention to their names, so maybe her name was Sue, or Mary, or Jane :-)

Edited by Ginandtonic, Apr 4, 2012 @ 1:11 AM.

annonshay

annonshay

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 12:19 PM

Does anyone know what happens to the runner-up cupcake-filled displays after they lose? My 6-year-old and I watch the show all the time, and we always wonder aloud about this.

Some of the displays (like the wedding episode) could be repurposed to almost any event, but others are so specific to the event that they're being asked to create cupcakes for that I imagine it would be hard to donate to a different event.

Any idea if they donate the cupcakes/display somewhere, or just trash the whole thing?

I don't know about the displays, but Justin Willman shared on Twitter that the cupcakes are donated to an L.A. homeless shelter, The Midnight Mission.

Edited by annonshay, Apr 4, 2012 @ 12:20 PM.

needschocolate

needschocolate

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 12:18 PM

I believe that the cakes maybe remade for the event. The cakes are remade in Ultimate Cake Off as this is advertised in very small print at the end of the show and I noticed that some of the cakes on that show have their faults touched up.

I also think the cupcakes are re-made for the actual event, though I can't pinpoint why I think so.

I wonder if the actual event includes the first round cupcakes that have ingredients like hot dogs, brussel sprouts, and nacho cheese.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:00 AM

And because she has to use some vegetable-fat based product, the "healthiness" of her cupcakes is questionable!

Vegan/vegetarian baking is not proclaiming to be more healthful than regular cupcakes (sweets, etc...). I mean a sweet is a sweet. However, just because someone has opted to follow a vegan/vegetarian diet whether for ethical or health reasons doesn't mean they don't want to enjoy desserts and cupcakes. There may be a slight bonus in how the body process plant based foods, but honestly most times it just comes down to wanting to eat a cookie without having to harm and animal to do so. As a vegetarian who tried to eat as cleanly as possible, it's amazingly simple to substitute animal fats for plant based fats. However I imagine that even in the vegan/vegetarian world there are people who don't like to cook and having a bakery to turn to would be a godsend.

eliza422

eliza422

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 8:28 AM

Vegan/vegetarian baking is not proclaiming to be more healthful than regular cupcakes (sweets, etc...). I mean a sweet is a sweet.

It was the baker herself who said that - she made that claim for her cupcakes. I have no problem with vegan style baking at all, but I didn't like her holier-than-thou attitude about the healthiness of her cupcakes, as if by them being vegan that they were by definition better for you.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 9:08 AM

There is some evidence that a plant based diet is better for you, but I have to admit I hate the holier than thou attitude a lot of my fellow veggie demonstrate.

psychsi

psychsi

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 8:33 PM

Just watched the Yo Gabba Gabba competition, and got s little irritated with the ADD guy who made the teeny tiny cupcake display. I was especially appalled by his doing a cartwheel while wearing gloves, then immediately grabbing decorations and putting them on the cupcakes. Yeah, I want to eat a candy flower handled by a guy who just had his hands on the floor.

mlp

mlp

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:20 AM

I was especially appalled by his doing a cartwheel while wearing gloves, then immediately grabbing decorations and putting them on the cupcakes.

I was too. That guy just looked unclean - unshaved, greasy hair, bleccch. Kevin had a proper beard and he was clean and well-groomed and seemed very pleasant. His display also made a lot more sense. I definitely thought the right person won.

Pomone

Pomone

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:57 AM

I couldn't believe they brought the guy who got cut in the second round back. The episode that he won was one of the worst in the show's history I think.

His original episode had Cirque du Soliel theme, and I swear that guy only won because in every single round somebody did way worse than him. His final display looked terrible, but his competitor made something that would never work.

I thought that Yo Gabba Gabba was a fun theme, but I can't believe that guy went with a cucumber topping on his cupcake.

Gloworm

Gloworm

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 2:50 PM

I wonder if a mini-competition for the baking assistants (a la Project Runway's models) could be tossed in. Otherwise, I don't see the incentive for them to take the screaming from the bakers. Well, I guess they get to be on TV and bake which isn't a bad gig.
I always think while watching the final round "those baking assistants aren't sharing your $10 grand or going to the event... you can chill with the screaming, lady in tutu".

I don't understand the outcome of the Roller Derby episode. Mediocre cupcakes with little decoration but a fitting final display outweighs inventive cupcakes with good taste and a lesser display. Makes no sense to me.

MsLawDawg

MsLawDawg

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 9:40 AM

I don't understand the outcome of the Roller Derby episode. Mediocre cupcakes with little decoration but a fitting final display outweighs inventive cupcakes with good taste and a lesser display. Makes no sense to me.

Among many other things that irk me about this show, I think this is #1. You have a carpenter whose tools and materials must be like Mary Poppins' bag, and who creates an amazing display out of marker swirls on white paper. If you have wonderful cupcakes, yet your display has the wrong tablecloth or something easily fixable for the event, you are doomed. Unless you are blond, stacked and wearing a tutu. In the end, it seems your baking skills aren't really worth a damn in the judging.

I could scarcely believe my eyes when there was an all-male panel of bakers returning to the show. I wish I had been there to meet the creator of Yo Gabba Gabba so I could personally thank him for my thinking I had dropped acid when I walked in to see what my daughter and husband were watching. Sid and Marty Kroft have nothing on that show! At least the right guy won. He didn't yell at the team with him or lose it dramatically, and his cupcakes looked and sounded like they delicious.

Edited by MsLawDawg, Apr 24, 2012 @ 9:44 AM.

davout1806

davout1806

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:51 AM

Does anyone know anything about this Cupcake Wars Championship starting on May 13. It sounds a lot like what FN does for its Chopped Championship?

Fuzubanu

Fuzubanu

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 8:38 PM

I stopped by Little Cakes, who won the Funny or Die episode. Besides their normal selection, they had two of the winning cupcakes from the episode on sale today.

• Rhu-Fluffernutter-Nanner-Barb A banana-rhubarb cake filled with marshmallow fluff and topped with Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting.
  • The Pearl A sweet almond cake filled with Bavarian cream, topped with Champagne Italian Buttercream and edible pearls.

They were AMAZING. That first one was especially amazing. There's a lot of interesting flavors in there, and they play off each other in the best way. I've always wanted to try the cupcakes on this show, and getting to sample the ones from a winning team was even better. Next stop - the shop that makes all their cupcakes with beer from the girl scouts episode!

Maverick

Maverick

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 9:31 PM

You have a carpenter whose tools and materials must be like Mary Poppins' bag,

While there's no way they take those displays from conception to completion in two hours (even with the carpenter elves they surely have helpfing them), the carpentry work is done at a prop house so they do have access to much more than lumber and paint to create them.

Does anyone know anything about this Cupcake Wars Championship starting on May 13. It sounds a lot like what FN does for its Chopped Championship?

Yes, it's like Chopped All Stars/Champions. 16 winners will return, 4 each week. The winner from each of the preliminary round will compete in a finale.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:02 PM

I also think the cupcakes are re-made for the actual event, though I can't pinpoint why I think so.

I can't pinpoint why you think so but I can pinpoint why I think so. Production costs. I'm just speculating but I doubt they fly everyone in for the competition the day of or the day before each event. It's likely more economical to film episodes in batches. (For instance, Wheel of Fortune tapes a month's worth of episodes in a week.) By the time the events come around, those cupcakes aren't fresh any longer. I bet the contents of both displays are donated with the cupcakes being remade when the event happens.

MsLawDawg

MsLawDawg

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 8:57 AM

I agree with you, Irlandesa. Given the fact that it was posted that Justin Willman said the cupcakes of the runners-up are donated to a homeless shelter, I'd imagine all of the cupcakes are, even though they want to give the illusion that they are stepping right across the street to the event. I'd imagine there may be weeks of lag time between taping and the actual event. I'm sure they don't want cupcakes that have been touched all over, may be melted under the lights, etc. at the event, so they give the winner plenty of time to make the cupcakes perfectly. What my question is if the event takes place somewhere like Nashville, does the winner have to pick up all their travel expenses? That $10k after taxes could get eaten up in no time!

While there's no way they take those displays from conception to completion in two hours (even with the carpenter elves they surely have helpfing them), the carpentry work is done at a prop house so they do have access to much more than lumber and paint to create them.

Thanks, Maverick. That makes more sense, although I agree there's no way they do those displays alone or in two hours.

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 2:38 AM

Why don't they just make the carpenters the contestants, that's how they keep judging them. When Candace was talking about how she wished the knights looked tougher I wanted to scream at her. The contestant didn't make the display, why are you judging her on how te damn knights look?

sp23

sp23

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:48 AM

Well, the contestants do 'design' the displays, and she did say in her talking head that she wanted the knights to look cartoonish for a 'family friendly' flavor apparently confusing a Ren Faire with Disneyland. So I'm assuming that she did tell the carpenter to make them look that way (I wasn't paying much attention at that point), so it was a valid criticism since their displays are a part of the judging.

BradyB66

BradyB66

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 11:53 AM

While I can agree with you, Ginandtonic that the carpenters are basically given a series of squiggles on a large white sheet of paper and the design is pretty much all on them, I have to also agree with sp23 that she did ask for family friendly knights. And it's pretty hard to make a knight look fierce and regal when he's holding a shield shaped like a cupcake.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 8:07 PM

Branding. How does one get to the finals of the Championship of this show without realizing how important branding is? It's not like this show is new. I knew the apparent front runner would lose, even though I thought her display was visually stunning, because it totally lacked branding.

kittykat

kittykat

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 4:17 PM

I want to know how long ago this episode was filmed considering they were promoting Spiderman: Turn Off the Dark as the most epic thing to hit Broadway. Last I heard it was an epic FAIL! But then this last one was a promo for Madagascar 3, which wasn't even out yet but these are consecutive champion rounds. I'm confused.

But yeah, that one lady who did so well in the first two rounds totally screwed herself with the display. It was just a bunch of buildings with cupcakes. And don't hide the cupcakes either.

There's something about Kyra that rubs me the wrong way. I think it's the fake smile and her superior blahblahi'mglutenfreecakes attitude that unnerves me. But Candace and Florian seem gaga over her so we'll see how she fares in the final.

Edited by kittykat, May 23, 2012 @ 4:18 PM.

Neeney

Neeney

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 8:22 AM

Has it ever been verified anywhere that they actually do make all of the cupcakes for the final round, or is it just assumed, because making 250 cupcakes from each round adds up to 1000? I'm asking because a friend and I got into a discussion about it and she insists they never include the cupcake from the first round. I told her that they did, but I can't find anything online that says the rules, for sure, or how many they really do include.

There's something about Kyra that rubs me the wrong way. I think it's the fake smile and her superior blahblahi'mglutenfreecakes attitude that unnerves me. But Candace and Florian seem gaga over her so we'll see how she fares in the final.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. The whole episode I was saying, I hope it's not her and then, of course, it was. I hope she doesn't win the whole thing though.

Maverick

Maverick

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 10:20 PM

Yes, they make 250 of each cupcake, including the first round cupcake. This is often one of the cupcakes they adjust after the critic from the judges.

Neeney

Neeney

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 9:40 AM

That is what I thought and that is what I told her, since it makes the most sense. But I haven't been able to find anything online about the rules, so I thought I'd ask.

I hope the episode tonight isn't as bad as the previews are making it look!

Fuzubanu

Fuzubanu

Couch Potato

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 8:28 PM

Since Cupcake Wars was inspired by Glee tonight, I did what I do with Glee and watched something else. I don't need to hear the people from that show patting themselves on the back any more.

Tried a few places that have competed on Cupcake Wars now. Little Cakes from the Funny or Die episode is still my favorite.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 8:34 PM

Last I heard it was an epic FAIL!

Not totally. It cost a lot of money, had technical and response issues that kept it in previews, and people predicted an early death but it's actually making money. Here's an article about it. I don't know if it'll ever make money but it's defying expectations.

I hope the episode tonight isn't as bad as the previews are making it look!

I liked the final displays but the challenge in the first episode was lame. In fact, I was looking forward to these Championship Rounds but there have only been two extra challenges that I liked. In the first round, I liked how they had to use all of the ingredients instead of just one or two. And I did like the concept of the slushie cupcake tonight. But the mosaic and the mosaic just seemed silly.

CPP83

CPP83

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 9:04 PM

As usual with this show, I so very appreciated seeing one of those overrated "actor/singers" chowing down on a brightly pink frosted monstrosity of a cupcake and lo and behold, there was only one cupcake competitor tonight who practically infused every single confection he came up with, with bubble gum pink coloring reminiscent of children's toothpaste.

I have never come across a show that is so willing to give away the winner, literally, before the credits have even rolled. I know I should be used to it by now, this is season 2? 3? But still, you would think a producer, editor, someone, would have put an end to it by now.

Although I will say his display was leaps and bounds better than the other finalist. I mean really, you couldn't have just slapped a sparkly and bedazzled "Glee" sign on top of it or something?

lacey81

lacey81

Couch Potato

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 1:05 AM

This episode reminded me why I don't watch Glee. All that awful singing brought me thisclose to changing the channel.

I generally think taste should outweigh display any day, but the guy who won's display was SO much better it was a landslide. Luckily, it seemed his cupcakes tasted better throughout.

Have any Chicago bakeries ever competed? Love to try one.

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 2:45 AM

WTH was with the contestants having to sing? What was the point? Were they judged on it? What if they refused? I hate when cooking competition shows make people do something stupid that has nothing to do with cooking.

I have never come across a show that is so willing to give away the winner, literally, before the credits have even rolled. I know I should be used to it by now, this is season 2? 3? But still, you would think a producer, editor, someone, would have put an end to it by now.

Not only that, but the show always runs late, so the end of the show is always on the recording of the show that I tape right after it. I have to always remember that if I watch the 2nd show first I have to close my eyes & put it on mute or I get to see the winner talking about winning. Why can't they just end the damn show on time?

CPP83

CPP83

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 5:59 AM

I hate when cooking competition shows make people do something stupid that has nothing to do with cooking

This is FN, after all, that's their bread and butter. What's a little object, and useless, humiliation to earn a nice pay day? I also thought it was pretty crummy that only half of those kid singers got to go to the Glee event, even though they all were huge Glee fans.

At least they gave the carpenters a "helper" this time around, so we could suspend at least a little belief that they could build, and paint, and bedazzle, and find a disco ball for those stands in under two hours.

Edited by CPP83, May 28, 2012 @ 5:59 AM.