The Glades: Sunny with a Chance of Homicide

• Please log in to reply

1044 replies to this topic

NYC2007

NYC2007

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 7:47 AM

I enjoyed the episode. Seemed like the show was back to season 1 orignal formula. I like Callie and Jim together. I just hope we're not in for too much angst.

I was wondering, is Kiele Sanchez pregnant? She doesn't look any different, but it seemed to me they were hiding her behind a lot of stuff. Just her walking into the dojo carrying a pair of sneakers was weird.

So happy the show is back and earlier on Sundays.

cosmom

cosmom

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 10:00 AM

I watched Season 1, but did not bother with most of Season 2 - the storyline got annoying for reasons I've blocked out of my brain. I gave last night's S3 opener a shot and was pleasantly surprised that it seems to have gone back to the S1 rhythm. I'm ridiculous fond of Carlos and Daniel, Jim was a touch snarky, a touch sweet and loads of charming, the story had some nice little twists, the pretty people were pretty in that oh-so-obvious way that is common in Florida...so I'll stick around for another ep or two if they keep this up.

I noticed that the filming of Kiele was oddly not taking advantage of showing off her figure which I always thought was quite good and thought she looked stockier than I remember. If she were pregnant, that would explain it.

rivermet

rivermet

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 2:07 PM

I didn't notice the camera tricks with Callie but I will be sure to watch next week. I thought it was a good season opener - a little bit of everyone, cute relationship bits without being too over-the-top schmutzy, decent case. I don't understand not telling Jeff about them though. Hasn't it been a few months?

WolverineGal

WolverineGal

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 2:20 PM

I totally agree that last night's ep was back to the S1 feel. Last year was too angsty. And, puh-lease no more games about Jim and Callie getting together!

Was very happy to see Daniel since I didn't catch him in any of the previews.

I didn't notice any tricks with Sanchez but I assumed the hemming and hawing in the previews for next week were going to be because Callie was pregnant so it's possible the actress is in real life.

I don't understand not telling Jeff about them though. Hasn't it been a few months?

At the end of last year, the hospital was supposed to close in six weeks. No guarantee that means anything though.

And, yes, Jeff has grown!

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 5:28 PM

I loved the line about "You're not stupid or an idiot. You're both." Or some such. It was just in the delivery. It just tickled my funny bone.

catray

catray

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 7:56 PM

[snip]

I liked this episode-- things are pretty much back to normal after all the angst of last season. I like that Callie and Jim are together and they don't seem to be all angsty. I don't like that Jeff appears to be in the dark about the whole thing-- because inevitably that will lead to some hurt feelings, I'm sure.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Jun 4, 2012 @ 9:58 PM.
15/15

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 8:45 PM

don't like that Jeff appears to be in the dark about the whole thing

I think the dinner scene, where he said he was going to a friend's to "study," showed that he's not completely unaware. Callie hasn't officially told him she and Jim are back together, but it shouldn't come as a huge shock. Callie needs to suck it up and tell Jeff, though. Despite her protestations, there isn't a good reason not to.

Edited by dubbel zout, Jun 4, 2012 @ 8:45 PM.

SisterOfSylar

SisterOfSylar

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

So I ended up watching the first season a while ago and never got the chance to see the second season, which seems to be a good thing according to a lot of the discussion here.

I missed this season's premiere but watched tonight's episode. For some reason I really like Jim's smugness. Usually with most people in most shows, it makes me really dislike the character, but for Jim and this show, I like it. And it's not a grating smugness, more like a downplayed I'm smart smugness, if that makes sense.

Is the actress that plays Callie pregnant? If she is, then her taking the job in Atlanta is probably the show's way of working around the actress's pregnancy. Because seriously, the last thing Jim and Callie need is a baby complication.

I liked this ep. I actually had the sister pegged, with the one hit wonder singer/producer helping her cover it up. I was wrong about that, but oh well.

leela46

leela46

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 12:19 AM

I too wondered if the actress who plays Callie is pregnant. That would explain Callie leaving for the job in Atlanta. It's so weird that Callie would just take off and leave for a job so far away when she and Jim are finally together in a committed relationship. And if she's pregnant it's much too soon to write in a baby for her and Jim. I love these two together to I hope we see her back soon.

NYC2007

NYC2007

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 7:42 AM

I think they handled Callie leaving in a good way. I would have been more upset if they had a fight, broke up and she left. Should be interesting to see how they handle long distance. I know they just started dating, but I wondered why Jim didn't offer her money in the beginning to help with school. Also, what ever happened to her part-time forensic nurse job at FDLE.

I thought this was another good episode. The octopus was an interesting twist. Love Daniel. Especially when he was at the end of the swimmers by the pool and the spotlight went on him.

cosmom

cosmom

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 8:01 AM

For some reason I really like Jim's smugness.

I like it too - it seems true to life. It sometimes comes off funny, sometimes annoying and sometimes fails - just like real people. The character who is always ready with a snappy, witty comment or comeback is the one that irks me.

Being extremely shallow, I was greatly disappointed by the lifeguard in the opening seen. He was a bit soft in the midsection. Having spent an excessive amount of time on the So Florida beaches growing up, the lifeguards are not soft in the midsection - they work hard and it is very competitive to get those jobs. This show has no shortage of blatantly pretty people as extra so I find it very disappointing that they missed the boat here.

I love that Carlos can recognize a $40 manicure.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 7:31 PM

I too wondered if the actress who plays Callie is pregnant.

I think she is: Her face is fuller than it has been, and you could just see her belly in some of the shots. She's at the point where they can't hide it much longer, so sending Callie off to Atlanta was a good move.

liz26111

liz26111

Stalker

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 8:09 PM

As someone who works in higher education going to a bank for a school loan is a horrible idea. The federal government and med schools will totally give her financial aid. Since med students and graduate students have a history of paying them back.

Edited by liz26111, Jun 11, 2012 @ 8:10 PM.

rivermet

rivermet

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 2:56 PM

I don't really get the point of getting Callie and Jim together for two episodes only to split them up again. I think they should either be in a committed relationship with her here and part of the show or he should be single and able to flirt with women. Cause otherwise it could get kind of boring.

firedragon76

firedragon76

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 13, 2012 @ 9:03 AM

The fist two eps really seemed to get the show back to season 1 quality. There were some great one-liners from Jim (although the 'Let me be that jackass' was predictable) and the Jim/Carlos/Daniel interactions pretty much make the show for me.

I also thought Kiele Sanchez had pregnancy-face (that probably only makes sense to the females here, but I usually see if someone is pregnant before there is a belly because the face changes).

catray

catray

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2012 @ 10:55 PM

For some reason I really like Jim's smugness.

Me too! In the first episode, his smugness totally turned me off (and I know it did a lot of other people too) but now I totally love his smug ass. Seriously. He's smug to a point, but somehow it comes off as more endearing than arrogant douchebag.

As someone who works in higher education going to a bank for a school loan is a horrible idea. The federal government and med schools will totally give her financial aid.

Ugh, this. I also work in higher education and it's ridiculous of Callie to go to bank for a loan to go to school. Does no one on this show do research?! Argh.

I liked this episode a lot. Mermaids are fun! I also like how they handled Callie and Jim in this episode. Yay for mature adults! While I agree that it seems to be silly to get Callie and Jim together for two episodes only to split them apart, I am ok with it if the writers continue to handle the relationship between these two. While I have my doubts about that (based on the season previews) I hope this doesn't get all stupid and full of angst. Please?!

Also, just restating my love of Jeff. I think they got a great actor in that kid-- Uriah and Kiele have a very natural chemistry.

Kiele has to be pregnant. They're hiding her body in baggy, shapeless outfits (see: the yellow dress in the dancing scene) and definitely seem to be strategically hiding her body behind objects.

Edited by catray, Jun 13, 2012 @ 10:55 PM.

Actionmage

Actionmage

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2012 @ 11:23 PM

This was a cool episode and until I realized, like Jim, that the manager was in love with the surviving sister, I wasn't sure whodunnit. I was also glad that the 'good' sister was in fact no angel. Sometimes it's refreshing on procedurals to have a woman on paper, not be saintly.

Can I get a job as researcher for the show? Like others, I can't believe that Callie hasn't applied for various grants or scholarships. She falls into various segments colleges want to give money to: older woman in a profession that needs more folks to continue their education. Add single mom and hello; maybe not a full ride, as promised last season, but I would think a nice chunk.

I hope that Jeff moves in with Jim when Callie's away. It's cool to see that side of Jim.

I'm also loving Carlos and Daniel screen time.

firedragon76

firedragon76

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 15, 2012 @ 8:19 AM

He's smug to a point, but somehow it comes off as more endearing than arrogant douchebag.

I think it's because he also knows when to turn it off. The episode with the blues guitarist comes to mind, where he was respectful and called the guy 'sir' or the end of the last episode.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Jun 15, 2012 @ 10:07 AM

I think Jim can verge into snide sometimes, especially with suspects who haven't earned it yet, as it were, but I agree that for the most part, he knows when to give people respect.

I sometimes wonder if the smugness has more to do with Matt Passmore's American accent than anything else. I haven't heard him speak with his natural Australian accent enough to figure that out.

Edited by dubbel zout, Jun 15, 2012 @ 10:08 AM.

NYC2007

NYC2007

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2012 @ 11:49 AM

Jim also redeems himself by the way he treats the people in his life who are important to him - Carlos, Callie, Daniel, etc...

So even when he's annoying, he's not just one dimensional.

Phred62

Phred62

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 7:01 PM

Also, what ever happened to her part-time forensic nurse job at FDLE?

I keep wondering about tht too....

liz26111

liz26111

Stalker

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 7:44 PM

I chalk to that up to lets pretend that never happened because it does not fit into the storyline we want to do and hope that audience is stupid. I HATE when show runners etc think their audiences are stupid and incapable of having good or even better ideas than them.

catray

catray

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2012 @ 11:12 PM

Loved Carlos giving Daniel a little boost in front of a girl he clearly liked at the beginning of the episode. That was really sweet. I was thinking she would end up the murderer (that usually seems to be the case in similar shows) so I was glad she wasn't.

Lord, I was rolling my eyes over the Bureau Chief. WTF was she wearing?! My eyes practically rolled out of my head when she was first introduced. I'm assuming she's being brought in as some sort of distraction for Jim, but as she had about one line and was only in two scenes, it seemed really pointless.

Also eye-roll inducing-- the idea that a body donor program at a university (any university!) would be run by students on a volunteer basis. Again, WTF?! I work in a university department that has a body donor program associated with it and just hell no. They would at least have an admin staff to process paperwork and intake, etc etc.

Anyway, I enjoyed how Callie and Jim were handled this episode. Callie looks to be for a rough year, that's for sure. That whole situation is of course, a little too coincidental, but... whatever. I hope this doesn't send Callie running back to Tampa.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Jun 18, 2012 @ 1:54 AM

I hope this doesn't send Callie running back to Tampa.

I am more in the please god make her run back because I don't find Callie off on her own talking to her son and Jim on the telephone engaging or having a separate story-line with some ridiculously unprofessional doctor (I mean seriously it sucks that your fiance didn't get the job but that isn't Callie's fault and he was apparently trying to use his connections the same way Callie was trying to use hers so SHUT IT! Especially because Callie's connection didn't have any ulterior motives for getting her the job!) at all interesting.

Edited by biakbiak, Jun 18, 2012 @ 1:55 AM.

NYC2007

NYC2007

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2012 @ 8:36 AM

Lord, I was rolling my eyes over the Bureau Chief. WTF was she wearing?! My eyes practically rolled out of my head when she was first introduced. I'm assuming she's being brought in as some sort of distraction for Jim, but as she had about one line and was only in two scenes, it seemed really pointless.

I kept thinking- here's the Bureau Chief and what kind of respect would she get from her staff dressed like she's going clubbing.

I kind of also wanted an explanation as to why Jeff stayed in Florida. I guess so he wouldn't have to have to move schools, but it would be nice to have some confirmation.

I hope the Jim/Calllie stuff doesn't get too angsty.

liz26111

liz26111

Stalker

Posted Jun 18, 2012 @ 9:06 AM

I kept thinking- here's the Bureau Chief and what kind of respect would she get from her staff dressed like she's going clubbing.

Don't you know tight dress are the new professional dress for cops and lawyers.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Jun 18, 2012 @ 9:27 AM

There was a lot of WTF in this ep, as posters have noted. I did like that Daniel had his moral-struggle moment and did the right thing, and I like that the girl realized that but didn't insta-forgive him. Though given that she knew he interned at the FDLE, what did she expect when she told him that stuff?

The Bureau Chief was ridiculous. Why couldn't she just be a hot friend of Manus's? She didn't do anything professionally related anyway.

Callie's boss is absurd. I do not want to watch her sabotage Callie every chance she gets. That's not going to do anyone any good, and listening to Callie whine about her situation isn't good television.

catray

catray

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2012 @ 10:35 AM

I kind of also wanted an explanation as to why Jeff stayed in Florida. I guess so he wouldn't have to have to move schools, but it would be nice to have some confirmation.

I'm assuming this too. The flow of time in The Glades is very vague and it sounds like Jeff is in school right now (doing homework, etc) so I guess that's why Jeff is staying in Florida with his grandmother. (Which grandmother, I wonder? We did meet Ray's mom in Season 1.)

crowsworks

crowsworks

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2012 @ 11:33 AM

Want to bet that the boss's lady friend turns out to be her 'lady friend'. These shows love the lesbian titillation (NPI) hints.

WolverineGal

WolverineGal

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2012 @ 6:31 PM

I am more in the please god make her run back because I don't find Callie off on her own talking to her son and Jim on the telephone engaging or having a separate story-line with some ridiculously unprofessional doctor (I mean seriously it sucks that your fiance didn't get the job but that isn't Callie's fault and he was apparently trying to use his connections the same way Callie was trying to use hers so SHUT IT! Especially because Callie's connection didn't have any ulterior motives for getting her the job!) at all interesting.

This. I see absolutely no point to Callie being "gone" if we see her more on the telephone than we did before. Unless they are going to try more S2 angst shit.

Loved Daniel and Carlos as usual.

Totally agree with the comments about the Bureau Chief.