S7 Winner - Lauren Froderman: Appropriate for the Kids, but Still a Good Time

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

183 replies to this topic

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2010 @ 12:50 AM

Froderman, not Gottlieb.

chesslover

chesslover

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2010 @ 9:56 AM

Too hot for tv!

quince

quince

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 10, 2010 @ 11:04 AM

Hated her stripper-y audition but was entranced by her Broadway. Her strength and flexibility are pretty spectactular, and I'm starting to like her against my will. I wish she'd stop presenting her ass like a baboon in heat though.

Scade

Scade

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2010 @ 11:46 AM

I'm grudgingly starting to like her too, but I'm still sick of that googly-eyed, upside-down face she does in her solos.

BBDi

BBDi

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2010 @ 11:50 AM

I wish she'd stop presenting her ass like a baboon in heat though.

LOL. My sentiments exactly. She definitely looks promising, though, and it will be fun to see her across a variety of genres.

Cherry Wire

Cherry Wire

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2010 @ 11:52 AM

I'm grudgingly starting to like her too, but I'm still sick of that googly-eyed, upside-down face she does in her solos.

Was about to say likewise. Her face-pulling really bugs. It comes across like she's still in hot cheerleader mode and playing for the cameras, instead of really losing herself in the performance. Totally inappropriate for a song like "At Last".

She's got some moves, though.

overg

overg

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2010 @ 11:59 AM

I liked her smile. I got the vibe that she just genuinely loves dancing, and it makes her smile. I always had the same impression of Allison and even Kherington.

The ass can stay, too. I think Lauren can move sexy without looking like she's *posing* sexy, which I hate.

So I'm a fan, so far. If anything, she reminds me of S2 Natalie, who I thought brought the sex appeal a lot of the time without overdoing it.

thebends

thebends

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 10, 2010 @ 12:16 PM

I agree. I think a lot of people immediately pigeonholed her when they heard the word 'cheerleader'.

But she's an amazing dancer. With just as much training as anyone else in the Top 11. And I find her personality dorky & endearing.

ci ci

ci ci

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 10, 2010 @ 2:36 PM

I love her. She is easily my favorite contestant this season. Her performance quality is wonderful. She's very alluring and captivating on stage. Her technique is very solid. Her extensions are beautiful and her flexibility is amazing. She also appears to be pretty versatile. I don't think she'll have a problem picking up anyone's choreography.

I don't understand why so many people are turned off by her. Because she's a cheerleader? So what? It was obvious in her first audition that she has extensive ballet and contemporary training IN ADDITION to cheering. It's not like she's just a cheerleader and not a real dancer. Is it because she's overtly sexual in her performances? This doesn't turn me off at all. And I say that as a straight female. It actually makes me find her even more appealing.

She also has a very fun loving, upbeat personality that I love.

Edited by ci ci, Jun 10, 2010 @ 2:37 PM.

TwizzWhizz11

TwizzWhizz11

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2010 @ 4:04 PM

I agree. I think a lot of people immediately pigeonholed her when they heard the word 'cheerleader'.

I think this was me. And to further degrade my viewpoint, I was totally put off by how much make-up she was wearing in her audition, more so than her song, and didn't really like the whole package as a result (and looking back, it really wasn't that much - the eyelashes were a bit much).

After seeing her in Vegas, I've converted. Not voting for her for sure yet, but I'm keeping my eyes out. I love her voice too - it's not all perky and perfect. And so far, her personality doesn't grate :)

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted Jun 10, 2010 @ 7:26 PM

Video > (KorbiTV) SYTYCD Top 11: Lauren Froderman

R2szoo2

R2szoo2

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 11, 2010 @ 5:46 AM

I totally agree about her voice, and I really like her personality in that video! It's not over-the-top happy and she seems humble and approachable. I think her control she shows when she dances is fantastic as well. I do wish she wouldn't smile so much in her solos. Not because it bothers me that much, but because it's definitely one of the things leading people to peg her as "Nigel's Blonde" or "Peppy Cheerleader!". Her expression when she turns around at the very beginning of her Vegas solo is fantastic, and I wish she would keep more of that up, and give people less reason to pigeon-hole her.

The one thing I'm worried about for her is ballroom... it's the only thing we haven't seen her do, and she said she had very little training with it during her audition.

overg

overg

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2010 @ 7:01 AM

Thought she showed her first real weakness tonight, which would be getting into character. Or at least, getting into a gothic character. Which is actually a fairly significant weakness on a show that regularly has Sonya, Wade, and Travis choreograph.

She wasn't terribly out of character like Kent, but Katheryn was a level beyond her.

* comparing her . . . or heck, anyone . . . to Mark is just unfair. He's miles better than anyone else who's ever been on the show at that sort of thing.

Still a favorite of mine, but she'll need to work on her "acting" a bit to really shine in some of the pieces she's very likely to get.

Purplish

Purplish

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 11, 2010 @ 10:43 AM

I can't take my eyes off Lauren. She is outstanding.

I predict that in next seasons auditions, the HMA will replace the HMV as the go to move.

vallegirl

vallegirl

Stalker

Posted Jun 11, 2010 @ 11:15 AM

She's 18, just out of high school and was a cheerleader. To my eyes, she's already shedding a lot of the cheerleader mannerisms that were in her audition and she is pretty dynamic, so I'm looking forward to seeing what else she can bring.

provencal

provencal

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2010 @ 12:45 PM

She is a great dance, but her solos are still too sex kitten-ish for me. Gives off a pervy vibe.

JLHSmurf

JLHSmurf

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 11, 2010 @ 6:17 PM

Unfortunately, I don't think she'll be talked down from the sex kitten thing...not on this show. But, for someone so young, she dances like an adult, unlike Mollee. I had no idea she was 18. And she has way more personality than Kayla. I really like her and hope that she'll go far.

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted Jun 12, 2010 @ 6:39 AM

Video > (Danceplug) SYTYCD Top 11 Interview: Lauren Froderman

Reia

Reia

Couch Potato

• Interests:Watching glorious dancing, reading feminist literature, Nerding out over Game of Thrones

Posted Jun 12, 2010 @ 9:42 AM

I hated Lauren's audition. I thought she showed a complete lack of understanding of the groove, the sensuality of that song. It's Marvin Gaye for fuck's sake (no pun intended)! That manic writhing was not sexy; it was forced and at odds with, for lack of a better word, the texture of the song. I was prepared to write her off as another contemporary dancer whose musicality is severely limited in that they don't take the time to incorporate not just the rhythm but the feel of the songs and engage their movement appropriately.

But I'm not gonna lie, I loved her Vegas solo. Everything that I initially disliked in terms of her shoddy musicality was remedied. I'm about three hops from the Lauren train. If she continues to impress in the pairs rounds, I'll bound right on it.

LadyHathor

LadyHathor

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 15, 2010 @ 1:41 AM

I also hated her initial audition. I thought the dancing was totally at odds with the music. Lack of musicality completely dooms a dancer for me. I also hated her phony Pageant Queen smile that she wore the entire routine. I have nothing against cheerleaders. I was a competitive cheerleader. Plus, I knew before the auditions that Lauren was a trained dancer, and not just some cheerleader who stumbled into the auditions. (Sheesh, that edit was terrible.)

Her hip hop in Vegas looked decent in the tiny clip we got. The Broadway section was great for her. I liked her Vegas solo much better. But, she still had that annoying Kherington-like smile on her face. Alexie Agdeppa does this too. (Maybe *this* comes from being a cheerleader.) I need both of them to stop doing this and get more into the character of the piece.

So, while I like her a bit more now, I still wasn't blown away with what she did in Travis's piece. I agree with overg's post above. I thought she wasn't totally out of character, but it wasn't great. And Kathryn was a lot better on this front.

kimmykaybee

kimmykaybee

Fanatic

• Interests:Favorite tv shows: <br />Survivor<br />So You Think You Can Dance<br />Pretty Little Liars<br />Dancing With the Stars

Posted Jun 15, 2010 @ 8:33 AM

So far, I don't mind Lauren, either dance-wise or personality-wise. While I understand the cheerleading shtick can annoy people (and I've gotten annoyed with that shtick at times), I think she's a much better dancer than Mollee and comes off as more mature. Of course, that isn't hard to do, lol!

I thought she wasn't totally out of character, but it wasn't great. And Kathryn was a lot better on this front.

I agree with this, though for her first performance on the show, I thought she wasn't that bad.

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted Jun 16, 2010 @ 6:59 PM

Video > (FOX) SYTYCD Top 11 Interview: Lauren Froderman

Purplish

Purplish

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2010 @ 10:40 PM

Here is an interesting video of Lo Fro performing the "At Last" solo at a dance competition a couple of years ago. Evidently it was choreographed by Mandy Moore.

westsideuhoh

westsideuhoh

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 17, 2010 @ 1:19 AM

Judges are a complete joke.

Ade and Lauren come from the same studio. Go LO FRO!!

CassandraRedux

CassandraRedux

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2010 @ 7:56 AM

I thought the judges were spot-on. She's a great dancer, but she didn't perform that number well. It could have been so much fun and so hot, but all I got was cheer comp from her. She is so talented, though, I think she will get better and better if she listens and if she wants to.

BBDi

BBDi

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2010 @ 8:00 AM

I agree, Cassandra.

I think she is someone who would have benefited from the same partner over the season (providing it was a good partner) to help her grow in this particular area.

The judges certainly signaled to her that she's not going anywhere, so I look forward to seeing what she does next week. At this point I don't have a favorite girl...but I was expecting more from her.

overg

overg

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2010 @ 10:29 AM

Agreed, this was the biggest disappointment of the week. I have no idea what Lauren was going for with her face that routine, but whatever it was it had no business in that piece.

Too bad, because I loved her looks during her solos, and her technique was certainly there last night. She just completely mis-performed it.

She's got a ton of potential though, so I'm hoping she gets it right from here on out.

provencal

provencal

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2010 @ 10:29 AM

I figured out who she looked like: Melissa Hart, Sabrina the Teenage Witch.
Definitely too cheerleadery/pageagnty right now.

ci ci

ci ci

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 17, 2010 @ 3:09 PM

This should probably go in the Mandy Moore thread but I absolutely loved Lauren and Ade's routine last night. I thought it was really playful and cheeky. There were also a lot of fun little nuances in there. I thought she nailed the choreography. And her performance seemed fine to me. Not really sure why the judges gave her so much criticism.

Ulle

Ulle

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 17, 2010 @ 4:16 PM

I figured out who she looked like: Melissa Hart, Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

Heh. I think she looks like Kaley Cuoco, from Big Bang Theory (Penny).