S7 - Adéchiké Torbert

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

88 replies to this topic

spicegurrl

spicegurrl

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2010 @ 2:25 AM

Adechike could win :)

dizzyfeet: The vote was 68% up this week. The difference between first place and second place was 1.17% there's no guaranteed winner. The game's afoot.

Kent has been the pre-ordained winner for so long. It would be pretty epic if there was a surprise upset. I can see Mia's head exploding which brings me great joy. Nigel... I'd love to see the look on his face, LOL.

In fact, Adechike would look the best in a Gatorade commercial. He is the most athletic one. Kent is too effeminate. Lauren can't even keep herself hydrated. Robert is cute but not really the "sporty" type.

Adechike FTW!!

Edited by spicegurrl, Jul 30, 2010 @ 2:29 AM.

WhirlyBird

WhirlyBird

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 30, 2010 @ 1:57 PM

I'm thrilled he's safe. Per spicegurrl's post, I wonder if there's any chance that the top two were Robert and Kent?

IMO Adéchiké is just as talented a dancer as Kent (and needs, like Kent and Robert, some intense time at the barre for his arms/hands), obviously not as outgoing a personality as Kent (but who is), hard to compare with Robert (not as good a center but better ballon, not quite as fluid, but better musicality and solos and athletic control), a better lifter than Robert or Kent (I'd pick Adéchiké if I had to do lifts with him every time, hands down, which is something Toni Redpath should have mentioned) and . . . he's probably going to continue to get slaughtered by Mia, subtly. I think her toxicity about him has affected the other judges. They're all so uneven with their praise and critiques it's silly.

He needs his chance at standout choreo. He rocked with Comfort because they both danced the hell out of what they were given and both brought pathos.

And no more Courtney. She seems to be having a harder time than Kathryn or Allison or Anya connecting.

Once again, I caught Adéchiké taking a moment to murmur encouragement to Billy, even grasped the back of Billy's head like before. Sweet, too, was Billy's reach to rub Adéchiké's shoulder in the middle of the package recaps. Adéchiké looked like he was going to hurl from nerves.

I think he's a sweet guy who has withstood a load of judges' uneven crap (and outright vitriol) with aplomb and grace. Maybe they'll just dispense with the final three silliness (what a weird number) and keep everyone next week.

Pretty please, can we see the two Adés dance?

Edited by WhirlyBird, Jul 30, 2010 @ 1:59 PM.

totes4totes

totes4totes

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 31, 2010 @ 1:47 AM

Pretty please, can we see the two Adés dance?

That would be so lovely.

I want him to have a standout routine. One that is meant to stand out (Alex, Robert, Billy, Kent, and even Jose have had them) not one that he has to make standout (which makes him even better in my opinion).

Compared to all of the other dancers this season (and even across seasons) Adéchiké is one dancer that I get excited to see dancing. Alex and Billy are the other two this season.

rulesoftravel

rulesoftravel

Stalker

Posted Jul 31, 2010 @ 7:23 AM

I'm wondering who he'll do the hiphop routine w/ since Comfort is not coming on tour. That was so good.

Edited by rulesoftravel, Jul 31, 2010 @ 7:24 AM.

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted Aug 3, 2010 @ 5:52 AM

Article > (TV.COM) SYTYCD 7 Dancer Analysis: Adéchiké Torbert

WhirlyBird

WhirlyBird

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 3, 2010 @ 2:56 PM

I'm wondering who he'll do the hiphop routine w/ since Comfort is not coming on tour. That was so good.

Kathryn? True, she'll almost certainly perform her HH with Russell. But she's adaptable and a good emoter. Lauren is adaptable but I don't see her being the kind of emoter this routine requires. Ashley? (Number of routines per female dancer might dictate who partners, or even if the routine gets showcased at all. If so, boo.)

IHeartDVR

IHeartDVR

Fanatic

Posted Aug 3, 2010 @ 3:29 PM

Kathryn? True, she'll almost certainly perform her HH with Russell. But she's adaptable and a good emoter. Lauren is adaptable but I don't see her being the kind of emoter this routine requires. Ashley? (Number of routines per female dancer might dictate who partners, or even if the routine gets showcased at all. If so, boo.)

Courtney should be the number one choice for contemporary girl doing HH, with Allison second, then Kathryn (if we are avoiding Lauren G). I submit Courtney/Gev's "Lights, Camera, Action" routine and Allison/Ivan's "Sexy Love" as evidence. They both smash Kathryn in HH, even though she does a respectable job. C and A get the flavor and the steps, of course Allison would probably do a better job capturing the emotion of the piece.

I'm not sure they'll even try to include that one because Comfort can't really be replaced, the chemistry was just too perfect between the two of them. They can always choose the upbeat one with Lauren, even though the NT one had more impact.

For tour, I'm guessing they'll use the Dave Scott, the Dee Caspary with Kent, probably the second Tyce Jazz with Courtney. If you remember, they only let Evan dance twice in pairings on tour, right? They may not have Chike in more than a couple routines.

Edited by IHeartDVR, Aug 3, 2010 @ 3:39 PM.

aprilrainsong

aprilrainsong

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 4, 2010 @ 9:02 PM

Wow, I am so surprised by the love for this dancer. I just find his routines so forgettable, and half the time I can't even pay attention long enough to actually see his dances all the way through.

Hubble

Hubble

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 4, 2010 @ 9:29 PM

Wow, I am so surprised by the love for this dancer. I just find his routines so forgettable, and half the time I can't even pay attention long enough to actually see his dances all the way through.

Sigh. I have to agree. I read the boards and think I am missing something so I watch more intently the next time and still. Nothing. I have not seen one thing this season which has made me say: wow.

rulesoftravel

rulesoftravel

Stalker

Posted Aug 4, 2010 @ 9:42 PM

Every time the judges open their mouths, I want to punch them. I'm amazed at the restraint Adechicke has shown. I really loved his teacher talking about him...she was so positive and affectionate and sincere. See, it can be done, judges.

I liked both of his dances, but they definitely gave him two routines that would not move the audience to tears.

Tasya

Tasya

Fanatic

Posted Aug 4, 2010 @ 10:02 PM

Adechike has been the epitome of grace under pressure this season. I think that the judges would absolutely LOVE for him to react badly and go all stereotypical "Angry Black Man" on them. Then they could further eviscerate him for having bad reactions. Thank goodness he hasn't obliged them.

*Second part moved to the knoll.*

Edited by Tasya, Aug 4, 2010 @ 10:04 PM.

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted Aug 5, 2010 @ 4:45 AM

Video > (Danceplug) SYTYCD S7 Top 4 Post-Performance Interview: Adéchiké Torbert

ETA: Video > (InPulse) SYTYCD S7 Top 4 Post-Performance Interview: Adéchiké Torbert

Edited by ByTheWay, Aug 5, 2010 @ 6:03 AM.

WhirlyBird

WhirlyBird

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 5, 2010 @ 1:59 PM

Adechike has been the epitome of grace under pressure this season.

Yep. I detected discouragement in him last night, though. There's only so much unfairness that a person can take.

For the first time I watched routines first, no packages, no judges. In terms of the dancing and performance I came to a tie for first: Kent with Travis and AdeChike with Sean. (Though first place tie for non-voting purposes and which outdoes either of the voting dancetestants goes to Pasha and Ade O - wow.)

Then I watched comments. The agenda poison increased geometrically with Tyce on the panel. I don't mind dancers' faults being pinpointed, but can we please have evenhandedness of SOME sort?

I think Tyce is pissed that AdeChike is well-respected at Tyce's alma mater and that Tyce's scores weren't . . . well, so good, as I recall.

Hee! From ByTheWay's first link, AdeChike on the judges' opinions: "They're only four people. And I respect their opinion very much, but . . . I'm not going to lose any sleep over it." That's a gracious fuck you, I think. I hope he means it!

And in the second link from ByTheWay, AdeChike pushes back on Mia (he hints that he doesn't believe she's really delivering "tough love," though he partly neutralizes as a good diplomat) and the judges generally. Good for him. Gutsy.

He also points out that he hasn't gotten to dance with a male all-star, which I hadn't noticed, and he rightly hints that they're "powerhouses." I got the sense he wanted to say, " . . . and those powerhouses would complement my style of dancing."

Edited by WhirlyBird, Aug 5, 2010 @ 2:11 PM.

rulesoftravel

rulesoftravel

Stalker

Posted Aug 5, 2010 @ 2:09 PM

OK... I now love him , because he used "fruition."

I think he is discouraged, but he's determined not to get down on himself. The judges are doing way too good a job of that.

IHeartDVR

IHeartDVR

Fanatic

Posted Aug 5, 2010 @ 2:12 PM

I think Tyce is pissed that AdeChike is well-respected at Tyce's alma mater and that Tyce's scores weren't . . . well, so good, as I recall.

Tyce just strikes me as an unpleasant person for a variety of reasons that extend beyond this season. I love his Jazz, hate his Broadway and divatude. Plus, I credit him for the presence of Misha Chan in Season 3. This is a guy who said Katie Holmes was a fantastic dancer. I love Katie, I'm sure the Cruises pay well, but GTFO here.

AdeChike is very mature and sensitive. I'm sure he's discouraged at times, but I think that maturity makes him take stock and realize how much he's accomplished just by still being there. His brothers were in the audience last night, Desmond and Dwight; it was probably a lot to take in all at once. There's a certain mental toughness that comes from making the kind of strides that he has in his life, and that's apparent to me even when he's letting his emotions show. If he leaves, he can leave this season knowing that he was probably marked for exit weeks ago, but people loved and supported him enough to vote him through with no B3 appearances. There are not too many dancers on this show who can lay claim to that.

Because of the somewhat personal nature of the judging at times, and because dancers live dance, I'm sure they can see rejection from the judges as a rejection of them, not just their dancing. If that's the case, someone should tell Chike that Ameriker appreciated him so much that for WHATEVER REASON, we wanted to see him there week after week. That's a boon.

Edited by IHeartDVR, Aug 5, 2010 @ 2:14 PM.

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted Aug 6, 2010 @ 6:15 AM

Video > (Rickey.org) SYTYCD S7 Top 4 Post-Performance Interview: Adéchiké Torbert

Video > (GMMR) SYTYCD S7 Top 4 Post-Results Interview: Adéchiké Torbert

IHeartDVR

IHeartDVR

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2010 @ 11:44 AM

Interesting reading. I concur with Chike's comments about Mia, and they suggest that he too felt the criticisms were personal.

Oh, and STFU Adam. Isn't there a Step Up 1500 that you should be directing somewhere?

http://tvwatch.peopl...an-dance-top-3/

rulesoftravel

rulesoftravel

Stalker

Posted Aug 6, 2010 @ 12:01 PM

He is so articulate and just so down to earth and would be a great winner for this show. I know better things are in store.

He's the absolute opposite of the "empty" that Mia called him.

invisiblebob

invisiblebob

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 7, 2010 @ 6:44 AM

Watching the videos I was once again struck by what a class act Adéchiké is. 'It is what it is' shall be my new catchphrase!

RomanticRights

RomanticRights

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2010 @ 12:07 AM

Oh, and STFU Adam. Isn't there a Step Up 1500 that you should be directing somewhere?

Actually, the movie is not doing well at all, so no, there isn't.

rulesoftravel

rulesoftravel

Stalker

Posted Aug 8, 2010 @ 4:33 AM

Good. Reaping what he sows.

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted Aug 8, 2010 @ 5:59 AM

Video > (Danceplug) SYTYCD S7 Top 4 Post-Results Interview: Adéchiké Torbert

Pogo Possum

Pogo Possum

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 10, 2010 @ 9:05 AM

From this article in Entertainment Weekly: 'SYTYCD' exit interview: AdéChiké talks judges, elimination, and post-show plans

Any last words?

I encourage all dancers to audition for the show whether...you make it to the actual show or you just make it to Vegas. Just audition. It’s such a life-changing experience. I already grew as a person through Vegas week. That changed me. I think everyone should audition. It builds such strong character and self-belief.

I like this kid so much. I think he's got a great attitude.

Zuleikha

Zuleikha

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2010 @ 12:29 PM

He's one of the rare dancers who I like even more reading his interviews. His grace under fire and positive attitude is inspiring. It's too bad it's so late in the game for thread titles because it would be great to get "Born Fighter" for his title (from his quote "They were tough on me, and I guess they were trying to get me to crack, but that’s the last thing that’s going to happen, you know? I’m a born fighter and I’m just going to keep fighting no matter what.")

kechara

kechara

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2010 @ 4:40 PM

I like Born Fighter, but also would go for Class Act or Grace under Fire. (maybe you can't use that one being a tv show)

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Aug 13, 2010 @ 3:04 PM

This guy was not my favourite (Alex was) but I loved his solo's and his personality - when we finally got to see it. He will go down in my history of SYTYCD as the most ill treated dancer of all time. At least Danny got "redeemed" after the top 10 - and he used to hold the position of most maligned.

This beautiful young man did not deserve the treatment/edit he got, but he took it with grace and found something positive from the experience. More power to him.

Soleil

Soleil

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2010 @ 5:07 PM

How about "Grace Under Bussing," or somesuch? Because I think Adechike's grace (both as a dancer as well as by his comportment) is one of his chief characteristics, but this makes it a little snarky and therefore TWoP-worthy?

stephelena

stephelena

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 9:47 AM

Nice to see you last night on DWtS with the ballerina.

LostLostLost

LostLostLost

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 7:32 PM

Adé Chiké and Michaela DePrince were outstanding last night! I had seen a still photo of him working with her as "his partner", but what a surprise to see the two of them on DWTS! Her story is so inspiring. I will be sure to catch her in the film about 6 young ballet dancers coming out this summer.

Ade Chike, Michaela, DWTS performance

I hope we see more of Adechicke on TV in the future. It isn't fair that most of us live so far from NYC.