2-12: "Years of Service" 2010.06.07 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

82 replies to this topic

TWoP Mars

TWoP Mars

Stalker

Posted Jun 7, 2010 @ 1:42 AM

From Sho.com:

In the season finale, Jackie returns to All Saints where she must confront everyone.

All Over Blue

All Over Blue

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 7, 2010 @ 9:32 PM

Fucking awesome!!! Blow ME!!!

She told you she's no damn good and you just don't listen! It's your fault!

Mrs. A crawling up the ladder...love you Mrs. A.

Jackie and Thor dancing a soft shoe for Sam.

Our little Zoey jumping up like a gymnast completing a routine on the pummel horse..."Fully clothed!"

Awesome just awesome episode.

SheenieB

SheenieB

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 7, 2010 @ 9:39 PM

I enjoyed this finale way more than season one's finale. I'm glad that Kevin found out part of Jackie's deception. He knows she's a drug addict, but not about Eddie, yet. Maybe that'll be next season. God, that's gonna be an extra knife to the heart considering that he's friends with Eddie.

At first, I thought that Gloria was going to see that rat from last season chewing on a wire or something. But, heh, it was God. Awesome.

Jackie's good, though. Way to deflect shit onto others. "Kevin left me." "You know I'm no prize." I wonder if O'hara is going to snitch to Gloria about Jackie's addiction.

Edited by SheenieB, Jun 7, 2010 @ 9:46 PM.

iolamorgenstern

iolamorgenstern

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 7, 2010 @ 11:04 PM

If I could edit out all the storylines and scenes that I didn't care about, this season would run about 105 minutes. The attempt at an intervention was laughable; last season's cliffhanger was totally ignored so I have no reason to think there will be any real repercussions. The drug dealer is another example of this - I'd bet good money we'll never see him again. The writers / showrunners keep coming up with interesting plot twists and they're getting better at characterization, but 90% of what they set up, they never follow through on.

So far Nurse Jackie has been 23 hours of foreplay and 55 minutes of sex. Edie Falco is amazing but I'd rather see her on Broadway than watch season three of this show.

valsinger

valsinger

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 7, 2010 @ 11:09 PM

This was a very good episode. Laughs and shudders both, and some of the pigeons coming home to roost. I loved it when Thor took out the drug dealer, and when Sam knocked Coop's legs aside to get out of Gloria's office. I hated the feeling that this cliffhanger could not pay off. O'Hara looked beaten down in the confrontation with Jackie, whom she dearly loves. I don't quite grasp the reason that Jackie seemed to take such pleasure in believing that Kevin hated O'Hara; I always thought she wanted them to like each other. Zoe's relationship with the ambulance driver (whose name I cannot remember no matter how hard I try) is progressing nicely, and he does seem to care about her. All in all, I want next season to start now.

Babiicakes

Babiicakes

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2010 @ 12:39 AM

Man, I loved that! It's been awhile since I've had a good openly bitchy character to root for. I'm a little disappointed that they didn't follow up on last season's finale, especially since it was stated that they would, but I love how they completely took our expectations of what was going to happen and turned it on its ear. I'm loving Zoe and Lenny's budding relationship more and more. At first it seemed like they were just going to make it mirror Jackie and Eddie's, but I'm glad that there's genuine affection there from both of them and they're not just using each other.

At first, I thought that Gloria was going to see that rat from last season chewing on a wire or something.

Me too.

I found O'Hara's acceptance of Jackie's explanation so wonderful because it's exactly how people tend to react to loved ones. They don't want to be mad, they just want an explanation, any explanation so they can wrap things up and move on. You could tell by the resignation on her face in the chapel that she was ready and willing to take whatever lie Jackie was going to come up with just so she could bury the whole thing and she could go back to trusting her friend again, even if it meant shouldering some of the blame herself.

Green

Green

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2010 @ 12:49 AM

I don't quite grasp the reason that Jackie seemed to take such pleasure in believing that Kevin hated O'Hara; I always thought she wanted them to like each other

That was once her goal, but it changed the second they became a united front against her. Suddenly, she was desperate to split them up, weaken their strength by pitting them against each other. Pointing at Kevin and telling O'Hara he hates her guts is just another deflection, a stir she was trying to create so she could leave the room hidden under the dust it kicked up.

Edie Falco only gets more amazing, and watching her show all the things she was thinking after she closed herself off in the bathroom - before the beach scene, when she was trying to process what the hell just took place and if her earrings were even still in her ears...brilliant. I'm so glad she is on TV because if she only did Broadway, I would never get to watch her.

Can't wait for Season 3.

Caryn

Caryn

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 8, 2010 @ 1:00 AM

Jackie and Thor dancing a soft shoe for Sam.

That was a nice bit of continuity, wasn't it?

Belley

Belley

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2010 @ 1:17 AM

last season's cliffhanger was totally ignored so I have no reason to think there will be any real repercussions.

Last year's cliffhanger is completely different from this year's. Jackie getting out of the on call room without anyone noticing isn't some giant mystery. It would be easy for her to sneak out and sober up somewhere. I think it was bullshit that they ignored that, but whatever. Now people know she's a drug addict. It's happening.

I'm so over Sam. The last 3 episodes have really shot his character to hell for me. For starters, the rapping on the street. Be lamer! And hitting Coop at work. Yes, Coop sucks on a variety of levels. But Sam should've been fired. And he was the one who picked his girlfriend, who talked about how people should "expand their minds." Clearly she was awful.

Edited by Belley, Jun 8, 2010 @ 1:22 AM.

Floridabound

Floridabound

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2010 @ 3:44 AM

Fucking awesome!!! Blow ME!!!

So fucking awesome!

Blow me -- I love it. Jackie unrepentant. Perfect ending. Perfect.

Zoey and the rest, but especially Zoey, were wonderful. Even Sam didn't irk. But Jackie... you rule, girl.

Edie Falco only gets more amazing

She is incredible. Thank you, Falco, for an amazing year of acting, and writers for not taking the politically correct bullshit everyone can be saved nay everyone should be saved direction. IF you promise not to try to rehabilitate Jackie next year, I'll even forget about Seatbeltgate.

Now this is an actor who deserves the Emmy.

rissatx

rissatx

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2010 @ 4:16 AM

I am pretty convinced despite her "blow me" statement Jackie will start next season either in rehab or at the very least pretending to follow a 12 step program.

I delighted in seeing Jackie fall apart. I hope to see more of that in the future. This episode was full of filler for me. While I like Zoey I really didn't care about her budding romance for the finale, nor did I care about Sam's gf and him hitting Coop. The only things I wanted to see was the tension building up on the things that were falling down around Jackie. I wanted more of that totally vulnerable conversation she had with her husband. More of her trying to lie her way out unsuccessfully, more of the Kevin and Ohara figuring things out.

While the other stuff was pleasant the season finale wasn't the place for them especially since all those scenes did was break up the tension that was building between Jackie and those that love her finding out about her drug habit.

Floridabound

Floridabound

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2010 @ 7:03 AM

I am pretty convinced despite her "blow me" statement Jackie will start next season either in rehab or at the very least pretending to follow a 12 step program.

Nah. TPTB know there won't be a show if that happens.

It's a perfect show just as it is.

goofball

goofball

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 8, 2010 @ 7:10 AM

They tried to send her back to rehab
and she said
blow
blow
blow
.me

Edited by goofball, Jun 8, 2010 @ 7:11 AM.

All Over Blue

All Over Blue

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 8, 2010 @ 7:31 AM

I plan on rewatching this epi tonight. I do want to say that I found the kitchen scene with Jackie, O'Hara and Kevin to be so real and very well acted by all. I have been in a situation similar to that one and the feeling is one of such intensity that you really aren't thinking so much as reacting...like a cornered animal. Jackie lashed out with any hurtful thing she could find to say in that moment of pure unadulterated panic. Then she fled. The scene in the bathroom was also perfect. Trying to calm down and assess her condition. Then her addict's mind slips into gear and she is figuring out a way to emerge from this intact, that is, still able to use and still maintaining her relationships. And she believes she can do it. Just awesome.

Slapstick

Slapstick

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 8, 2010 @ 7:46 AM

Sam should have been fired; I'll give you that. HOWEVER, Coop is the biggest asshole ever. That whole speech about how "she wants a doctor". Can his ego possibly be any more overinflated? I LOVED IT when Sam pasted his sorry ass. It's what I've wanted to do in just about every episode. He is insufferable to the nth degree.

Love Akalitis. She seems to be such a down-to-earth administrator (something you rarely find) who's concerned about the well-being of the patients. While she is obviously concerned about the bottom line for the hospital, that's not her primary concern.

TeresaDee

TeresaDee

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2010 @ 8:12 AM

I'm still processing, need to rewatch....

I do agree with those who love all the detail in the final (bathroom) scene. And we go back to the beach, where the season began. It seems that the beach is a comforting place for her--well, at least until she imagines herself for a brief moment as an addict in recovery. Loved the "blow me" ending.

A rat in the ceiling would have been a great way to come full circle, but I loved the whole God-Akalitis storyline. They did such a beautiful job in developing the character of Akalitis this season, making great use of a wonderful actress. While I love O'Hara, the development of her character feels a bit forced in comparison.

I feel that Eddie's character can actually go somewhere now. He said he would "step aside" for Jackie and (even more for) Kevin. I didn't get the stalker vibe that was grating earlier in the season.

I think Zoey and Lenny are more than adorable. Their young love is a sharp contrast everyone else's complicated romantic lives.

Tommysgrl

Tommysgrl

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 8, 2010 @ 8:58 AM

Recently got my pay TV service back up for some other channel's summer programming, and had COMPLETELY FORGOTTEN how much I flove this show!!! The first season blew me away and this one only got better...so glad I have my sho for a whole year now for next to nothing! ha! i heart u comcast!

pando

pando

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 8, 2010 @ 10:14 AM

I do want to say that I found the kitchen scene with Jackie, O'Hara and Kevin to be so real and very well acted by all. I have been in a situation similar to that one and the feeling is one of such intensity that you really aren't thinking so much as reacting...like a cornered animal. Jackie lashed out with any hurtful thing she could find to say in that moment of pure unadulterated panic. Then she fled. The scene in the bathroom was also perfect. Trying to calm down and assess her condition. Then her addict's mind slips into gear and she is figuring out a way to emerge from this intact, that is, still able to use and still maintaining her relationships. And she believes she can do it. Just awesome. - All Over Blue

Word.
"...like a cornered animal."
So very true.

Sometimes this show scares me at how brilliant it is.

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2010 @ 10:47 AM

The only things I wanted to see was the tension building up on the things that were falling down around Jackie. I wanted more of that totally vulnerable conversation she had with her husband. More of her trying to lie her way out unsuccessfully, more of the Kevin and Ohara figuring things out.

I wanted more of this too. That scene at the kitchen table between Kevin and Jackie felt real but at the same time I found myself wondering how much of that was just an act too.

I feel that Eddie's character can actually go somewhere now. He said he would "step aside" for Jackie and (even more for) Kevin. I didn't get the stalker vibe that was grating earlier in the season.

This was the first time in a looong time that I've liked Eddie. I thought it was nice that he's almost more bothered by what Jackie's duplicity has done to Kevin ("he's ripped in two") now that he's gotten to know him than he is about how it's affected him, or even Jackie.

"Jesus Christ! It's God." -- Akalitus rules. Period.

I really hope that that's not the last we see of the drug dealer guy. He, or someone, lost $12,000 after all.

Leftcoast

Leftcoast

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 8, 2010 @ 10:58 AM

Jackie in the bathroom, in the mirror, I bet she hasn't looked at herself that closely in the mirror for a long time. Just perfect. Blow me indeed! I also think the creepy drug dealer doesn't continue as a problem, his only purpose was to provide Jackie with what she thinks she needs to make her life work - all the drugs she can use for free! I am hoping next season we get to see the functioning addict function much less efficiently with all those free pills at her disposal. She isn't busy drug seeking and finding money to pay for the pills, now we might get to see Jackie really too fucked up to function.

Love Zoey and Lenny, maybe Jackie and her simpy husband Kevin were once young and in love. It was nice to see Kevin do something, I am not a big fan of the character, some combo of the writing and the acting, he looks lobotomized most of the time, YMMV. But his anger was appreciated.

Arline

Arline

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2010 @ 11:17 AM

What a great episode. I usually just post to say nitpicky, critical shit, but this show is so good. I was on the edge of my couch the whole time. I love how Coop keeps getting punched in the nose. I love how Jackie stood up to that drug dealer. I love 50 packets of duck sauce, how God was so perceptive, tap dancing routines, how quickly Kevin put things together, and every single thing Edie Falco did this episode. Give that woman a dump truck full of Emmys.

Edited by Arline, Jun 8, 2010 @ 1:26 PM.

annalisa

annalisa

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2010 @ 11:24 AM

I plan on rewatching this epi tonight. I do want to say that I found the kitchen scene with Jackie, O'Hara and Kevin to be so real and very well acted by all. I have been in a situation similar to that one and the feeling is one of such intensity that you really aren't thinking so much as reacting...like a cornered animal. Jackie lashed out with any hurtful thing she could find to say in that moment of pure unadulterated panic. Then she fled. The scene in the bathroom was also perfect. Trying to calm down and assess her condition. Then her addict's mind slips into gear and she is figuring out a way to emerge from this intact, that is, still able to use and still maintaining her relationships. And she believes she can do it. Just awesome.

Yes. This is what addicts do. They will throw anyone under the bus to avoid dealing with reality. Jackie would gladly sacrifice Kevin or O'Hara to avoid hitting bottom.

Akilitis: It looked like the thought in her head in the meeting with Coop and Sam was..."yes, I should fire an employee for hitting and breaking another employee's nose...but...it was Coop who got hit and it was Coop's nose that was broken so, I'm going to let this slide because EVERYBODY wants to punch Coop in the face.

I'm starting to really like Eddie. First, his line with Coop last week when Coop told Eddie that he was sleeping with Sam's girlfried and Coop asked "Does that make me an asshole?" And Eddie said something like "No, there are so many things that make you an asshole......"

Then, when he told Jackie "anyone who knows you knows they don't know you." I love that line.

The tap dance was awesome. I love all the characters on this show.

Belmont

Belmont

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2010 @ 11:43 AM

Great finale that hit on all cylinders. Gloria in the vents with God was hilarious, just the way she tracked him down and got up on that ladder had me laughing. Jackie's final defiant line. And everything in between. Coop getting punched in the nose, the menacing confrontation with the drug dealer, Eddie's "a thank you would have been cool" to Jackie, Jackie's lie to Kevin that there were no more secrets, Kevin's detective work to uncover that lie (and there's still one more - Eddie). Great show, can't wait till next year.

Green

Green

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2010 @ 1:36 PM

Ya know, I wonder if maybe some of us (including me) were so much expecting one thing re: the writer's addressing last year's finale, that we didn't completely notice that they addressed it another way. The core issue of the final scene was that Jackie had said FUCK IT, and taken a handful of drugs from the Pill-O-Matix. It ended up not being an issue of whether or not she would get busted in the room while high, it was more of a question about what the consequences would be once someone realized the machine's stock was off due to pilching.

So if you look at it that way, it WAS addressed, by Akalitis calling meetings about it, hiring security for the room, etc. - everything she had to do, all the way to the point where she finally just gave up and hired back Eddie, was caused by what Jackie did in last season's finale, and afterward.

Seeing it from that perspective makes me feel better about things, because I don't want next season to start out with everything fine again, like a reset button was hit, because it wouldn't be. I want the tension to continue mounting and mounting, until I can hardly stand it.

rissatx

rissatx

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2010 @ 2:43 PM

Nah. TPTB know there won't be a show if that happens.

It's a perfect show just as it is.

That is very debatable.

It would make absolutely no sense for Jackie to not even PRETEND to address her drug issues. I suppose they could have her husband leave her and take the kids. Plus O'Hara stop being friends with her etc but to me that seems out of character for Jackie.

There is absolutely no way a drug addict could talk their way out of the stuff that Kevin and O'Hara found out about her unless her husband and friends are all just utter and complete morons.

Edited by rissatx, Jun 8, 2010 @ 2:45 PM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jun 8, 2010 @ 2:52 PM

I do wonder how god was able to get into the ceiling undetected. There would have had to be something still on the floor that allowed him to get up there.

jenrising

jenrising

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 8, 2010 @ 4:11 PM

It would make absolutely no sense for Jackie to not even PRETEND to address her drug issues.

Agreed. I think she'll put on a show of trying to get help, but it's Jackie. Kevin and O'Hara will buy it because they both need her.

I do wonder how god was able to get into the ceiling undetected.

Well, he is god. How dare you question his ways?

hoodooznoodooz

hoodooznoodooz

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 8, 2010 @ 4:46 PM

I loved this season finale. Edie Falco hit it out of the park. Thank you to the poster who compared Zoey's popping up in the chapel to a gymnast's move -- so perfect and funny a comparison.

Could someone please explain why Jackie went to such lengths to help Sam? Was it simply b/c she always tries to play supernurse or did she have an ulterior motive?

Could someone remind me when tap dancing was referenced before? I think I remember Jackie taking a dance class with Grace, but how did Thor know that he & Jackie had tap dancing in common?

The only thing that I didn't love was Jackie keeping the key to her secret mailbox with her housekeys. I'd think she'd be ultracautious with something like that.

I'm surprised more people don't watch this show.

c crean

c crean

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 8, 2010 @ 6:17 PM

Does anybody know when the Season 2 DVD'x will be released?

I have to say it again - I love, love, love Jacob's recaps. Thank you for your wonderful writing.

Milburn Stone

Milburn Stone

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2010 @ 6:34 PM

O'Hara may not want to, but I don't see how she can responsibly not tell Akalitis about Jackie's drug use.