WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 2:48 AM

Oh Littledick. You choke, AGAIN.

LurkerNan

LurkerNan

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:38 AM

Hah! I love it when the "amateur" shooter ends up winning the whole thing, especially when it's some unassuming but appealing IT guy like Chris.

I especially love it because I think it chaps the asses of those military & law enforcement guys who think they are God's Gift to Shooting. Remember that one season where the military guys all felt only they were worthy of competing, and kept sending the non-military to the shoot-outs? Yeah, this win is for them.

The only thing that could have made that better is if Chris had said he learned how to shoot from playing first-person shooter video games - that would have just added insult to injury to guys like that.

Ananayel

Ananayel

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:50 AM

Dustin was self-taught as well, I believe, but had been doing it much longer than Chris. I'm starting to think self-taught shooters are just more adaptable than police/military shooters. The exception I think was season 1 Pete, who outright stated that his job was to shoot as well as he could with the weapon he'd been given. He didn't really grumble about getting something he wasn't proficient in or had never used or didn't like, he just got on with it.

Ailiana

Ailiana

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 6:06 PM

I liked Chris from the beginning, and am very glad he won, and hope he will really be able to do something with the contract, but I think it is a mistake to paint all the law enforcement or military contestants with the negative brush of a few. Kyle, for example, is a police officer but he was very accepting of Chris and Gary (both basically self-taught) and was open with his comliments and praise for them.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:19 PM

While I'm sure everyone appreciated the pics of Michelle, it's somewhat disappointing that her footnote was that she's gonna be in Maxim magazine.

I never thought she was a serious shooter, she was just there to flirt and show off. If the show is going to fill its apparently limited female slots I wish it were with real markswomen and not model wannabes. More Gabbys and Taras and no more Michelles, please.

So much word. I was kind of appalled that Michelle of all people expressed surprise at how well Gaby shot in one of the after show. Hearing that from guys doesn't surprise me (it's annoying but not surprising) but from a fellow female shooter? Maybe she just assumed the only other female contestant was there to pose with guns in bikinis too. I honestly did not like Michelle from the beginning and that only increased with her stupid budding showmance, so after hearing that little sound bite, I'm really glad that Gaby stuck around to show how awesome a shooter she is. Of course, I still find it hard to believe that people KNEW Gaby was an Olympic shooter and were still SHOCKED that a tiny woman could shoot so well. Sheesh.

Anyway, I whooped it up when Chris hit that final shot. Littlejohn has annoyed me less in recent weeks but I still dislike him, so the last thing I wanted was for him to win this season. Each time they did an elimination in the finale and he somehow stuck around, I kept yelling, "What will it take to get this guy off my tv?!" He weaseled his way out of going to elimination challenges a few times in the past, so in my opinion he shouldn't have even been final four.

In contrast, I love Chris. He has been so calm, cool, and drama-free so even without taking into consideration his shooting background vs. the more trained guys, I liked him. The fact that he ended up being so good with different weapons made me like him even more. I'm so glad that he won. Of the final four, he was by far my favorite.

Fingers crossed that we get a season five!

taalsi

taalsi

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 6:12 AM

Anyway, I whooped it up when Chris hit that final shot. Littlejohn has annoyed me less in recent weeks but I still dislike him, so the last thing I wanted was for him to win this season.

All of this! I did a little jig when Chris won. I know Littlejohn had to have felt sick over the fact that Chris beat him on the grenade launcher. How in the world does someone who's never fired one beat someone who's an expert? Chris was amazing. Gosh, I hope the show returns. I've never held a gun and I'm not interested in doing so but I love this show.

Ananayel

Ananayel

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:28 AM

How in the world does someone who's never fired one beat someone who's an expert?

I think this has to do with what I said earlier about self-taught shooters. Those who have been taught in the military or police have learned specific ways of shooting, often specific to individual weapons. Some (not all) get so caught up in following those guidelines that they have a hard time going outside their comfort zones. They are still great shots, it just seems to take them longer to figure out what parts of their instruction to let go or modify when faced with new weapons.

Someone like Chris or Dustin, who have figured things out on their own and discovered what works best for them, regardless if it's technically "correct" or not, seem to be able to adjust on the fly faster, and distill things down to simply getting the projectile to the target, without "unlearning" what they've "learned."

piccolascimmia

piccolascimmia

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:09 AM

I've never held a gun and I'm not interested in doing so but I love this show.

Yeah, I'm a middle aged woman and have never held a gun let alone shot one - who'd peg me as a loyal viewer who loves watching this kind of action? But I love seeing how they can pick up all these different weapons and use what they know to excel at hitting a tiny thing far away that might be moving. And then add in the tension of self-taught vs military/law enforcement, and you've got me interested.

And agreed - no more jackassery from the lame "drama" - just shoot and prove what you can do with minimal fuss.

MeeMaw

MeeMaw

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:22 AM

Yeah, I'm a middle aged woman and have never held a gun let alone shot one - who'd peg me as a loyal viewer who loves watching this kind of action? But I love seeing how they can pick up all these different weapons and use what they know to excel at hitting a tiny thing far away that might be moving. And then add in the tension of self-taught vs military/law enforcement, and you've got me interested.

I'm in this same category - never shot a gun and don't particularly like being around them - yet I really enjoy this show. I was trying to explain to some friends recently why I watch it faithfully, and in formulating an explanation for them, I realized why I like Top Shot. I enjoy watching people who are extremely competent in very difficult tasks. I like the competitive nature of the show, but it's the interest I have in watching very capable shooters performing at such a high level that keeps drawing me back.

Bucky FourEyes

Bucky FourEyes

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:39 AM

I enjoy watching people who are extremely competent in very difficult tasks. I like the competitive nature of the show, but it's the interest I have in watching very capable shooters performing at such a high level that keeps drawing me back.

Manly, yes - but I like it, too. Unlike the cooking and fashion competition shows, we don't have to trust the judges' tastes. There's no doubt who nailed it and who fizzled.

Also, it's fun to watch shit blow up.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 4:14 PM

That is EXACTLY why I love Top Shot. With other reality shows, there's subjective judging. Sometimes I see a hideous dress and the Project Runway judges are drooling about how awesome it is while I scratch my head and question my taste in fashion. Other times, the contestants aren't all given the exact same assignment so I wonder how you can judge one person's dessert versus another person's main course on Top Chef (and of course I can't taste the food so I'm just going by the description and what it looks like). And Top Shot requires actual skill, not just raw talent or untrained potential. No matter how naturally gifted you are, you need at least a minimal amount of practice and training, unlike many contestants on singing shows like American Idol or The Voice where any yahoo who sings along with the radio thinks they're as good as Mariah Carey.

Even when the Top Shot contestants are given slightly different tasks within a challenge (shooting a row of larger targets versus smaller targets), at least they're using the same gun. I know sometimes certain people have an advantage if they've dealt with a particular weapon before, but it's a much more level playing field, in my opinion, and the results are much more clear cut because we can all see whether they hit the target or not. I just wish that before they had team meetings to decide who is going to elimination, they got to see who hit how many times. I love seeing that! And based on some people's claims during those team meetings, it just goes to show that people's memories are not as good as they'd like to think they are!

ETA: I forgot to mention the most obvious thing: I love watching shit explode too!

Edited by ElectricBoogalo, May 4, 2012 @ 4:15 PM.

happy turtles

happy turtles

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 12:22 PM

One thing I'm trying to figure out re: Michelle and her modeling:
When they showed her bikini/gun pictures early on in the show, I actually assumed that she had used those as part of her application to get on the show, which, ewww. But then in the quick profiles at the end of the show, they mentioned that she is going to be in Maxim. So were those pictures they showed actually from the Maxim shoot, i.e. after the show? I don't know if that would really make it any better, but at least I wouldn't feel like she took such a cheap way on to the show...Look, I'm hot! With a gun!

Bucky FourEyes

Bucky FourEyes

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 2:57 AM

If I remember correctly, the shots they had on the show are different from the ones on the Maxim site, so Michelle may well have used the Babe With a Gun pics as part of her Top Shot audition. According to Colby, they get thousands of applicants. Seems like a savvy move on her part to get noticed in the shuffle; 'tis still showbiz, after all. I felt like she showed enough skill to justify her inclusion, and she seemed to be serious about her shooting in the competition.

That said, I cringed out loud when I saw the first spark of Showmance with Michelle and Dylan. God, I hate Showmances. The road to hell is no longer paved with good intentions, which have become scarce; they've been replaced with the discarded bodies of Reality Competition Showmance roadkill. The one scene that was shown with Chee and Gabby didn't bother me quite as much, and I think it's because they were quietly off by themselves, and not being obnoxious about it in front of the whole group.

Edited by Bucky FourEyes, May 10, 2012 @ 2:58 AM.

Ananayel

Ananayel

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:00 AM

Also, isn't Dylan married? I feel sure he referenced a wife and kid(s) in one of his TH segments. Dude, this is going to be on tv, where your family can see it. Chill.

Chee and Gabby were fine - cute and sweet even.

Grimes

Grimes

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 6:43 PM

I was kind of shocked when Chee said he would have thrown the challenge to let Gaby win. I think he might have done it.

MeeMaw

MeeMaw

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 1:57 PM

Colby tweeted yesterday, "Top Shot is coming back! Bring on the All Stars!"

He then asks fans to submit suggestions for which favorites should "get a shot at the ultimate title."

Ananayel

Ananayel

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 2:40 PM

Yes! Did he say to tweet him, or is there a voting page at History's website?

MeeMaw

MeeMaw

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 4:08 PM

I assumed he meant to tweet him. He just said "Lemme me know which of your faves should get a shot at the ultimate title!"

hjmugillecuty

hjmugillecuty

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 9:38 PM

All Stars? They gotta bring back Kelly, JJ and Blake.

seltzer4

seltzer4

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 10:11 PM

If they are going to have their 2 token females, Gaby and Tara are complete locks.
Wish list
Season 1: Kelly, JJ, Blake, Pete, Tara
Season 2: Jamie, Jay, Joe (Really hoping ashley and george don't come back).
Season 3: Mike, Michael, Gary (Please no Jake)
Season 4: Gaby, Chee, Augie, Terry, Kyle

Ananayel

Ananayel

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 11:18 AM

I can get behind that list, though I would like to see George again. First- he's eye candy, second- he's a damn good shot and could potentially have gone all the way. I fall on the "threw it so Chris could at least have a chance" side of the fence. Which is kind of awesome in a human-being sort of way, and something you wouldn't really expect from someone of his age and hyper-competitive demeanor. It would also be interesting to see if he is different without his clique, and if he has learned anything in the past couple of years or from seeing himself on the show.

crimsonjoe

crimsonjoe

Channel Surfer

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 11:37 AM

Some All-Star Thoughts:

* Just a guess- either all four champions are on, or none of them are on (and maybe come back as coaches later on)

* Jake from season 3 is the one competitor I don't want to see on the show (which, given that this is reality tv, is a fantastic percentage)

* It seems to me Littlejohn is a mortal lock for an All-Star. Came in second place, and hit the sweet spot where his antics made him someone you liked to root against, without being outright despised.

* If only two women are going to be on, Tara and Gaby are the best choices. I wouldn't object to having more, though.

niklj

niklj

Fanatic

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 2:36 AM

I'm kinda scared about the idea of an "all-star season." To producers, it might be the best series finale...

Hopefully I'm just being paranoid!

Ananayel

Ananayel

Fanatic

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 9:04 AM

If it is the series finale, I would actually be okay with that. I would rather have five good seasons and have it go out on top than have endless episodes where everyone in production is phoning it in just to collect a check, the producers cast ever more Jake-types to up the drama factor (since the challenges would have likely had budget cuts and become lame and repetitive,) and the pool of qualified marksmen who want to be involved in such shenanigans has run dry. I can get the dvds and relive it that way.

eliza422

eliza422

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 3:32 PM

If it is the series finale, I would actually be okay with that. I would rather have five good seasons and have it go out on top than have endless episodes where everyone in production is phoning it in just to collect a check, the producers cast ever more Jake-types to up the drama factor (since the challenges would have likely had budget cuts and become lame and repetitive,) and the pool of qualified marksmen who want to be involved in such shenanigans has run dry. I can get the dvds and relive it that way.

I agree with you. I compare it to the show The Mole (the original, with Anderson Cooper as the host)...there were only 2 (or 3) seasons, and it was still early in the realm of reality tv, so it wasn't full of fame whores like shows today.

There's something to be said for ending on a high point - more shows should do that. That's why I like the British system of TV a lot - they allow for short runs...which can really enhance creativity and risk taking.

Quilt Fairy

Quilt Fairy

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2012 @ 8:44 PM

I'm certainly glad there's going to be another season, and there are several contestants I'd like to see again (Tara!), but I don't think four seasons merits an All-star season. Is this for sure? They're going to have to bring back 3-4 people from each season.

ETA: Now that I'm thinking about it, I wonder if an All-star season is a way to get around the expense of casting another season with fresh competitors?

Edited by Quilt Fairy, May 31, 2012 @ 8:46 PM.

ROCKY91182

ROCKY91182

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 8:28 PM

It's a shame that this could be it. I--reluctantly--think they should leave out the four champs and give others a chance. I don't think they should limit themselves to just two women. Tara and Gabby have gotten the most love, and Tara definitely deserves another shot since she looked like she could go a long way before having to leave. But I don't think Maggie is getting enough credit. I just went through the first two seasons--after the opening o-fer(like three others on the team), in the next two challenges Maggie was the blue team's hottest shooter. But one of the best lessons learned on this show is that the true importance of winning the team challenges is in shooters avoiding facing elimination with weapons they're uncomfortable with...especially when those weapons aren't firearms. And Maggie fell victim to that. I think when it comes to guns, she can acquit herself well.

And yes, I want to see all guns this season. The non-firearms challenges can be fun, but these people came here to show off their skills with guns...and that's what I want to see. And if this is the last season, they can just go for broke with all the best weapons and most creative challenges.

By the way, is it just me or were the challenges in season one much harder than in following seasons? And is it wrong that I want to see more of that? My picks:

Season 1: Kelly, JJ, Tara, Blake, Chris
Season 2: George, Maggie, Jay, Jamie
Season 3: Mike, Gary, Chris(He's got the freakin' second amendment tattooed on his arm!)
Season 4: Littlejohn, Kyle, Gabby, Augie

Edited to replace Daryl with Jay 'cause non-pro/non-military shooters give the show flavor. And 'cause no other contestant baffled and annoyed the instructors quite like him. Maybe another season of him and he'll piss off Colby.

Edited by ROCKY91182, Jun 29, 2012 @ 5:14 PM.

Ananayel

Ananayel

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 9:59 PM

I would replace Season 1 Chris with Peter, because I really liked Peter. Also, it would prevent two contestants named Chris so I won't get confused when I'm only half watching. But otherwise that's probably an ideal list. I wonder when we'll find something out.

MeeMaw

MeeMaw

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2012 @ 11:59 AM

Colby just tweeted that Season 5 All-Stars has begun shooting. He said that the first challenge was "epic," but he gave no information on who the competitors were.

Ailiana

Ailiana

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2012 @ 11:40 AM

Any idea when this is coming back? I love watching this while I am on the eliptical. I actually end up working out longer if I have this to watch while I do.