Top Shot

• Please log in to reply

1331 replies to this topic

DolfinWings

DolfinWings

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2010 @ 4:37 AM

Okay, can someone explain to me how you can be in the U.S. Army and be a former Marine, as in Andre Robinson's tag line?

You can't. Seriously that's made of TOTAL FAIL! I was wondering why there were only ex- marines on this show. I guess the caption people are just too lazy to get it accurate.

The USMC isn't even part of the army. It's a component of the Navy.

I bet Andre and his buddies are all yelling at the TV whenever it says that he's a former marine.

Another possibility, is that the web page people are made of fail, and Andre is a marine, and they guffed up on the website.

Either way, it's a really lame F**k up.

mlooney

mlooney

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 17, 2010 @ 6:03 PM

Okay, can someone explain to me how you can be in the U.S. Army and be a former Marine, as in Andre Robinson's tag line? It's not that I don't believe him, I just didn't think it worked that way and now am very curious.

You can't. Seriously that's made of TOTAL FAIL! I was wondering why there were only ex- marines on this show. I guess the caption people are just too lazy to get it accurate.

Actually it's fairly easy to do.
Here is how it works:

You enlist in the USMC, do 2-4 years, get out. Have issues with civilian life, decide to go back in to the military, but for what ever reason you don't want to go back into the USMC, so you join the Army. It's not common, but it's not unheard of. I knew several men (and one woman) that did the above back when I was in the Army.

From the Top Shot web site:Andre trained with the Marines, earning "Rifle Expert" status in four competitions before joining the Army, where he earned the same status two more times.

Given that you qualify once a year, that means he did four years as a Marine and is in his 3rd year in the Army.

Edited by mlooney, Jun 17, 2010 @ 6:09 PM.

Jextella

Jextella

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2010 @ 6:51 PM

I'm not into guns, but I appreciate marksmanship.

I'm a gamer for just about anything with Colby Donaldson in it.

Split Ends

Split Ends

Stalker

Posted Jun 20, 2010 @ 4:08 PM

You enlist in the USMC, do 2-4 years, get out. Have issues with civilian life, decide to go back in to the military, but for what ever reason you don't want to go back into the USMC, so you join the Army. It's not common, but it's not unheard of.

Thanks, mlooney! I figured there are too much military and ex-military personnel involved with the show to let something like that slide if it was untrue, but I know next to nothing about the military and its rules.

mlooney

mlooney

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 20, 2010 @ 10:10 PM

Well, the long bows weren't real English Yew bows, but at least they were the "classic" design, if under strength.

The flaming indicators for where you hit on the big ass target were coolish, but but not quite like the splody bits of the first show.

The elimination challenge was a meh for me.
  • I don't like crossbows, and I really don't like modern xbows with scopes
  • I really didn't care which one of Brad or Bill went home, both were on my twit-o-meter
  • No Splody. Not even apple splody in that classic CSI sort of way.

Looks like Red Team has interpersonal issues, which may or may not have been resolved by Bill going home.

Next week. My weapon of choice, the AR-15 (a.k.a M16)

Mooncake76

Mooncake76

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 21, 2010 @ 1:32 AM

I'm actually enjoying this show (although to be fair, the competition this summer is The Bachelorette). Kelly, from the first episode has really impressed me. I don't know if it's just the editing, but I like the underdog thing and he seems to adapt well to the different weapons (although next week's preview seems to indicate otherwise). I think his response to Bill relating personal information about his life was unfortunate, but he's still young, and I'm not going to ban him to hell just for making a tasteless joke about Bill's ex-wife.

I would like to get to know the Blue Team more. I realize the Red Team has been featured in the last few episodes because they've been the losers, but it would be nice to see some more substantial downtime footage of the rest of the competition. Also, because the Red Team keeps losing, I find myself rooting for all of them and would like to see them pull one out down the line. Even Brad.

Quilt Fairy

Quilt Fairy

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2010 @ 11:47 AM

ITA that we're seeing much more of the Red team because they have been losing, and I would like to see as much of the folks on the Blue team. Since the team challenge is finished half-way through the show, we don't see much of the Blue team at all after that. I would really like it if they eliminated the interpersonal DRAH-MAH! I would be quite happy if we only saw them on the practice field and at the challenges and never saw where they stayed at all.

It's really unfortuate the the way things are set up, you may not even have a chance to compete in the team challenge and yet may find yourself in the elimination challenge. Also, with the archery challenge it was a toss-up as to which team would win. I'm assuming that the Blue team kept their mouths shut about how good JJ was with the bow.

I found the archery episode interesting, but I didn't quite understand the target setup that was partially flat on the ground and partially raised up as on a terrace. Although it had lovely bright colors, it was hard to see where the arrows were going. Why didn't they shoot at butts? Aren't those more classic?

Kelly's remark was tasteless, but he is young and not fully mature. He acknowledged it and tried to apologize, he really couldn't do anything more. I'm glad Bill is gone just to release the tension between him and Kelly. Kelly has shown himself to be an amazing natural marksman even with weapons that are not his forte. The Red team needs him. You shouldn't be trying to eliminate him just because you hate his guts.

At some point soon they're going to have to even up or merge the teams. That should prove interesting.

avast wasteland

avast wasteland

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 21, 2010 @ 12:36 PM

IMO from the first three episodes, Kelly is the Top Shot. So I wonder if his "problems" with the AR-15 aren't editing drama. Conversely, being an expert at long-range rifle - which is un-timed - he may be shooting too fast in a timed course, with easier targets.
I also assume Bill not accepting Kelly's apology, and ignoring him at the end was scripted - or whatever they call the improved reality in these shows.

DolfinWings

DolfinWings

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2010 @ 1:21 PM

I would like to get to know the Blue Team more. I realize the Red Team has been featured in the last few episodes because they've been the losers

I would too. The only people I recognize from the Blue Team is the filipino guy, the girl, and the old guy. The rest kind of blend as generic middle aged white guys. Though I kind of recognize Blake for his cockiness during pistol training.

Looks like Red Team has interpersonal issues, which may or may not have been resolved by Bill going home.

It won't, because the majority of the red team has problems with Brad. Which could be resolved if Brad just learn to keep his mouth shut, and stop whining all the time.

I think his response to Bill relating personal information about his life was unfortunate, but he's still young, and I'm not going to ban him to hell just for making a tasteless joke about Bill's ex-wife.

Yeah, I thought it was a weird response he gave, "I don't like the man your becoming" or something to that effect. Though, I gotten the sense that Bill has had it in for Kelly since day one, since Bill voted for Kelly to put him in elimination.

Mertvaya Ruka

Mertvaya Ruka

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 21, 2010 @ 1:48 PM

Yeah, I thought it was a weird response he gave, "I don't like the man your becoming" or something to that effect. Though, I gotten the sense that Bill has had it in for Kelly since day one...

I think it's a combo of being shown up by a younger pup who's a better shot and gay panic. I don't know if Kelly is gay or not but I think Bill might suspect there's "something" about Kelly and Bill's freaking out about it.

Regardless I'm glad Bill's gone because I'm sick of his dick-waving.

I don't know what Brad thought he was trying to accomplish with his complaining, it's a shooting show and it doesn't take a genius to figure out that non-gun weapons are part of that. Sack up, Brad.

MeeMaw

MeeMaw

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2010 @ 1:58 PM

IMO from the first three episodes, Kelly is the Top Shot.

I hope you're right, avast wasteland, because I really like him and want him to do well. He is very young, and his comment about the ex-wife was very juvenile, but I appreciate the way he handles himself during the competitions. He seems really gifted as a shooter, but he doesn't feel the need to brag about himself or whine when things go wrong. He could teach some of the older competitors a thing or two.

eliza422

eliza422

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 21, 2010 @ 11:29 PM

I agree about Kelly - he's a young guy and said a stupid thing, true - but Bill is going to condemn him forever for that one thing? I've said some *really* stupid things in my life and I'm glad I've never had to deal with a "one strike" policy like Bill has.
Kelly's also one of the most awesome competitors on the show! The red team would be fools to get rid of him at this point.

Split Ends

Split Ends

Stalker

Posted Jun 21, 2010 @ 11:57 PM

I know that a bunch of people living together in a house while competing against each other is going to lead to drama, but honestly, I don't want that here. If they spent a lot more time on the gun range and shooting stuff (that goes kaboom a little, of course), I'd be fine with that. I'm grateful that we've been spared the "war stories" mentioned in the first episode because a bunch of people bragging how badass they are is wow, boring as hell (and the whole reason I don't watch VH1, I think).

But to speak to the drama, I do wish Bill had been more relaxed about Kelly -- by making a big deal of it, he came off really insecure. Brad, on the other hand, couldn't stop whining about the longbow (I kept hoping he would just admit he hated being terrible at an aspect of the game instead of claiming that archery isn't shooting). No matter who went home, I was happy; I imagine Kelly is pretty happy it was Bill. Or it was "improved reality."

I still wish we had seen them shoot more. I can't imagine we'll get the longbow again and it's just so pretty.

polka dots

polka dots

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 22, 2010 @ 1:12 AM

I still wish we had seen them shoot more. I can't imagine we'll get the longbow again and it's just so pretty.

I agree. For the final challenge, I hope they bring back all or most of the weapons used throughout the show. I'd like to see more of the longbow as well.

No matter who went home, I was happy

Same here. Although I found I was actually pretty happy that Bill went home first. His not accepting Kelly's apology was just so stupid. Because I'm sure Bill has NEVER said ANYTHING dumb and impulsive when he was in his twenties. That bullshit response he gave to Kelly at the poker table was so condescending. Ugh. STFU, Bill.

Also, I think I'm getting some kind of sick glee out of watching Brad annoy the hell out of everyone on the Red team. So I'm fine with him lasting another week.

Edited by polka dots, Jun 22, 2010 @ 1:13 AM.

green55

green55

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 22, 2010 @ 6:26 AM

I know everyone is sticking up for Kelly, but didn't he make a joke of someone's suicide? (If I'm wrong, correct me, but I thought he snarked on Bill's ex-wife's husband/boyfriend shooting himself by asking if the ex-wife was 'that bad.')

I think a comment that awful deserves more than a "It's all right, little fellow."

eliza422

eliza422

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 22, 2010 @ 8:39 AM

I think a comment that awful deserves more than a "It's all right, little fellow."

I'm not excusing what Kelly said - it was a heinous thing to say, but Bill was extrapolating out Kelly's entire adulthood from this one comment, and I think that is what I didn't like. I know I've said some really awful things, and without the excuse of being that young, and I would hate someone to condemn me permanently for that.
I think Kelly would have been OK if Bill had something like, "Kid, that was really low. Stay away from me for now becuase I'm really angry. Just focus on the game and stay out of my way until I can talk to you again"....you know, acknowledging that it was horrible and he was still super angry, but not judging him forever for that one thing.

green55

green55

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 22, 2010 @ 8:57 AM

Perhaps it was that "joke" and the apology that was being judged. We didn't get to see either one. If both were equally galling, then I could cut Bill some slack.

addicted_aardvark

addicted_aardvark

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2010 @ 10:54 AM

It seems to me that this show is that it is trying to appeal to both the "Summer Reality Fare" viewer and someone interested in firearms/weapons and a marksmanship competition -- and the combination causes a [bad pun] misfire. While the weaponry/marksmanship viewer pool may not be that huge, I can't believe that manufactured drama - detracting from competition time as well - by itself is enough to pull in reality viewers with no interest in this type of a competition. There isn't enough of the faux crises and spats for that.

The producers ought to embrace the main concept of the show and go ahead and substitute character development and "normal" interaction for the drah-ma. And, as said upthread, more competition and more splody! (Yes, I was excited to see the apples in the elimination challenge, expecting cool slo-mo "CSI" shots. And was quite disappointed that all we got was the kind of flying apple juice at standard speed.)

I too was disappointed to see the modern crossbow for the final competition. It would have seemed more in tune with the intent of the initial competition to have a more rustic one. With the contemporary one they used, it seemed that more of the adapting and challenge came with the loading and setup, while the sighting and firing seemed more similar to the handguns and rifles they had experience with. (Plus, I wanted it to be harder for whiner Brad, so he would go into the elimination round with severely undermined confidence. Hey Brad: if you wanted a competition in your weapon specialty, you should have found a show about that!)

Mertvaya Ruka

Mertvaya Ruka

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 22, 2010 @ 11:48 AM

I have to admit I'm getting a kick out of watching Colby. He's not an imposing guy and he's surrounded by cops, military people and other chest-puffers and watching him posture and butch it up to try to fit in is kinda funny.

I think Kelly would have been OK if Bill had something like, "Kid, that was really low. Stay away from me for now becuase I'm really angry. Just focus on the game and stay out of my way until I can talk to you again"...

That would have been a good response.

Bill had it out for Kelly since day one, after Kelly established himself as an expert long-range rifleman and gave tips to the rest of the red team on how to handle the first challenge, Bill says in his confessional that he was voting for Kelly to leave becuase he didn't think that Kelly contributed anything useful. Huh?

If anyone else had made the ex-wife joke I think Bill, maybe not would have laughed, but would have forgiven that other person pretty quickly. (And if Bill was really sensitive about it, why was he telling this story to a group of people who are still virtual strangers and in front of rolling cameras?) Bill just used it as an excuse to beat up on someone he, for whatever reason (probably insecurity and envy) already didn't like and it made him look like a total ass.

I hope Kelly wins it all...with smiley face patterns.

Edited by Mertvaya Ruka, Jun 22, 2010 @ 12:02 PM.

Aarond23

Aarond23

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 22, 2010 @ 4:32 PM

I'm not a huge fan of the drama either, but you knew it would be coming thats why they do it in the reality show format instead of an ESPN 'World Championship of Marksmanship' format.

The only problem with their reality show format is that all the guys have a personality that makes watching paint dry seem interesting.

Its still worth watching as summer filler though.

Mertvaya Ruka

Mertvaya Ruka

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 22, 2010 @ 6:12 PM

I just wish they'd spend more time talking about the weapons. I know little about guns and archery (I'm a blades kind of girl) so more stats, history and trivia about the weapons and less drama would be appreciated. Just saying, "It was used during the Korean War" doesn't tell me much.

Quilt Fairy

Quilt Fairy

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2010 @ 9:05 PM

And if Bill was really sensitive about it, why was he telling this story to a group of people who are still virtual strangers and in front of rolling cameras?

ITA. The more I think about it, Bill was more at fault in this whole episode than Kelly. It's such a bizarre scenario that I might wonder if the person was joking at first.

Cowgunner

Cowgunner

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 24, 2010 @ 12:08 AM

I think Bill was being a bit of an asshat in the last episode. The comment that Kelly made was relatively tame compared to what some of the others shooters might have said. Since most of the competitors are ex-military and LEO's, black humor would have been quit abundant in the house. That's pretty apparent when Kelly was telling the other about his comment on the ex's boyfriend, and everyone else though that joke was pretty damn funny[I did too].
Brad's "I'm an I.P.S.C. Grandmaster and I shouldn't have to compete with[fill in the blank]" rants are really annoying the hell out of me. Especially, when the casting call stated that they were going to compete with a wide range of weapons, not just race-gunned Glocks[he act as a typical Glock fanboy] shooting I.P.S.C. styled shooting. I have a feeling that Brad will be eliminated pretty soon since he does try to fit every event into his specific shooting discipline, such as trying to shoot the Beretta 92F as a racegun for last weeks competition, instead of slowing down and shooting in a slower and more precise Bullseye fashion, which would have resulted in hitting the target on the first shot.
One more rant, Mertvaya Ruka, on having the show provide you with weapons trivia, who ever wrote Colby's voice over information didn't really know too much about guns in general. My biggest gripe was the Mosin Nagant 1891. Since when the heck is 1891[beginning of factory production] in the 20th century? Also, that rifle was used in every Russian conflict since 1892 till about the 1950's, and it was even manufactured in the U.S. for a few years.

mlooney

mlooney

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2010 @ 11:42 AM

On the weapons used, I've been very tempted to link to the Wikipedia page for each weapon, given that the information given has been, well, a bit weird.

Cowgunner

Cowgunner

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 24, 2010 @ 1:08 PM

If your interested in knowing which weapons are featured in the show http://www.imfdb.org...ex.php/Top_Shot have a fairly extensive list of the guns used in the first episode and I know that the page will be updated weekly as the show goes on. I can't wait for next weeks episode with the AR-15's, since the course is set up for close range rapid fire, it will be interesting to see other shooters dominate the competition since most of the first three episodes where mainly about slow precision fire.

Mertvaya Ruka

Mertvaya Ruka

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 24, 2010 @ 3:01 PM

Cowgunner, that's great info. Thanks. I'll ignore Colby's voiceovers and just look here for your posts and links on the weapons. I'll actually learn something that way.

mlooney

mlooney

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2010 @ 9:18 PM

If your interested in knowing which weapons are featured in the show http://www.imfdb.org...ex.php/Top_Shot have a fairly extensive list of the guns used in the first episode and I know that the page will be updated weekly as the show goes on.

Oh that sites rocks. Why didn't I know there was an internet movie firearms data base? I see a time waster in the making

Cowgunner

Cowgunner

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 24, 2010 @ 10:05 PM

But it's going to be time well wasted. I should know, I've spent alot of time on that site.

Quilt Fairy

Quilt Fairy

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2010 @ 8:24 AM

I can't wait for next weeks episode with the AR-15's, since the course is set up for close range rapid fire, it will be interesting to see other shooters dominate the competition since most of the first three episodes where mainly about slow precision fire.

Yes, but it also looks as if they will be shooting at targets based on whether they are friend or foe, so I don't know how rapid you want to be under those circumstances. The next episode looks very interesting.

Cowgunner

Cowgunner

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 25, 2010 @ 2:00 PM

Competitions like those can run pretty fast. It's a fairly common stage in most action pistol and three gun competition for shooters to receive a card with a certain color written on it, so the certain colored target becomes a "no-shoot" target. The top shooters still run the course really fast[since these are more speed matches than pure accuracy matches], though hitting a no-shoot target generally comes with a 5 second penalty, which is pretty bad since times for first and second place can be .5 of a second difference.

Edited by Cowgunner, Jun 25, 2010 @ 2:00 PM.