2-11: "What the Day Brings" 2010.05.31

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

75 replies to this topic

TeresaDee

TeresaDee

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 12:52 AM

From Sho.com:

After avoiding Eddie, O'Hara and the drug dealer who has come looking for his stolen pills, Jackie takes off early for a family vacation upstate. Kevin and the girls are excited, but every activity they've planned is a disaster. Still, Kevin and Jackie make it work and things seem better between them. But when Jackie misplaces the stash of pills she brought to get her through the vacation, she starts to unravel bit by bit. Meanwhile, we see All Saints without Jackie for the first time – Dr.Cooper confesses to Eddie he's been sleeping with Sam's girlfriend and Eddie tells Sam. The drug dealer keeps waiting around to find Jackie. After a nice dinner and an honest conversation, Jackie lets slip that she took the money from Dr. O'Hara. Kevin's furious and takes off, leaving Jackie stranded on vacation with the girls.

Edited by TeresaDee, Jun 1, 2010 @ 12:52 AM.

michellems

michellems

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 3:22 AM

Eddie tells Sam? When did Eddie tell Sam?

This episode was amazing. It was very interesting to see Coop this way. He was insightful, kind, self-aware, and yet also a bit of a dick. I'm so disappointed in him for banging Sam's girlfriend. More disappointed still that he tried to brag to Eddie about it.

It's the way Jackie's usually presented--golden moment, then a crap moment, then another golden moment, etc....This time Jackie was stripped of her superpowers, and all we got to see was her struggling to hide the addiction from her family. And seeing that was plenty. I could feel the headache and the backache as they came on, and it was painfully obvious that all she wanted was her dose. That she only wanted to go home so she could maybe find another stash and get her dose.

Consequences came looking for Jackie, and as expected, she slipped out the back door, only to have Fiona dial them for her. The meltdown with Kevin was amazing.

I won't be at all surprised if by the end of the season, the only person left still talking to Jackie is Eddie. Sam knows she tried to get him fired, Eddie knows she lied about the money, O'Hara knows she lied about the MRI and that she's ducking her calls. Zoey still idolizes Jackie, and Akalitus still trusts her, but this episode left me wondering how long that can last.

DuckyinKy

DuckyinKy

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 3:38 AM

When Akalitis said "I have this much tolerance for drug addicts.." Oh you have NO idea!

When they were doing the name game in the car, I thought they left off at E, so I was thinking "find the floss!"

Having said that, what a dick Kevin was to leave his wife on the street in the dark, poor little girls in the car while he stormed off in a tantrum. That's a shitty thing to do if not to Jackie, then the girls especially knowing one daughter suffers from paralyzing anxiety.

As far as the MRI, why can't Jackie just tell O'Hara she had it done somewhere else? At another facility? Especially since in the pilot episode Jackie said a nurse with a back injury would be unemployed. She could have gone to another county even, and had the MRI done.

nocturnelle

nocturnelle

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 4:11 AM

Oh man, my palms were sweaty this entire episode. So much tension, especially at the end. I wish this show was an hour long. Some half hour shows like Weeds can drag at times but Nurse Jackie always leaves me wanting more.

Having said that, what a dick Kevin was to leave his wife on the street in the dark, poor little girls in the car while he stormed off in a tantrum. That's a shitty thing to do if not to Jackie, then the girls especially knowing one daughter suffers from paralyzing anxiety.

This. As someone who has dealt with crippling anxiety, agoraphobia, and panic disorder, I often wonder how much of this has been caused (in part) by the highly contentious relationship between my parents for most of my life. OTOH, it was mad fucked up for Jackie to (essentially) steal that money from O'Hara. Kevin realized it in that very moment and was probably unable to even process the situation, let alone what Jackie actually used the money for. So maybe bolting from the car was the best thing he could do, to shield his daughters from any scary rage-y fight that might ensue. That scene was crazy, yet quietly, emotional. This show really is something else.

Loved the parallel of Jackie beginning to withdraw and the methadone-seeking guy at All Saints. Interesting how the person seeking treatment for their addiction is met with open derision while the other, quietly suffering but not confronting jack shit about her addiction, is offered peach schnappes.

I also enjoyed seeing a new side of Coop (not the cat butt in the face side, though, lol). What he said to Quiznos guy was incredibly heartfelt and sweet. I'm still confused about what Eddie might do now, though, knowing about Sam's girlfriend and Coop. Like, he might use it as some sort of twisted revenge? I just don't know with this dude anymore. There is just something...really shady about Eddie. We shall see how it all plays out.

Floridabound

Floridabound

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 4:39 AM

So maybe bolting from the car was the best thing he could do,

Yes, but...was that the yellow line next to their car? Did he pull over or did he stop in the middle of the street? The man's a shit. Jackie will be so much better off without him.

Oh, and Kevin and Jackie? Two words: seat belts. On the way up, and on the way home. It made it seem like the director couldn't figure out the shot without the girls hanging over their parent's seats. Took me right out of the story.

ShelleySue

ShelleySue

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 5:41 AM

Oh, and Kevin and Jackie? Two words: seat belts. On the way up, and on the way home. It made it seem like the director couldn't figure out the shot without the girls hanging over their parent's seats. Took me right out of the story.

I found this really distracting. Jackie is an ER nurse and must know what happens when children aren't buckled up. She and Kevin had seatbelts on but Grace and Fi were bomping around in that backseat. At one time she told them to buckle up, but didn't follow up on it. Instead of listening to the words I was too busy worrying about those girls (yes, I know it's not real).

antmoose

antmoose

Couch Potato

• Interests:Reading, writing, no 'rithmetic. Exile from the North American zeitgeist but with my nose pressed right up against the glass, which is probably that annoying smear on your computer screen that you can't get rid of, no matter what spray you use.

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 6:15 AM

The stress is really ramping up. Now Kevin's found out that Jackie lied to him about the money and O'Hara's found out that Jackie lied to her about using the money for Fi's school as well as the spinal x-ray. O'Hara is totally going to cut Jackie off at the knees.

Unlike Kevin and Jackie, I didn't think the bed-and-breakfast woman was creepy, though it did seem strange that there was only one room for guests in that whole enormous house, and we didn't see any other guests. I did think she was kind of sad, though I liked her niceness to Jackie about the schnapps. I wondered what her story was.

Coop -- he keeps on justifying what Akalitus wrote on her pad earlier in the season when he complained to her about Jackie: world's biggest asshole! Though Sam's girlfriend isn't exactly a treat. I felt bad for Sam when I saw him in the dispensary, shaking and uncertain. Maybe his girlfriend is a key anchor for Sam's sobriety and he's on his way to falling off the wagon when he finds out (as he almost certainly will) that she hooked up with Coop.

Loved the scene where O'Hara and Akalitus went out for drinks and Akalitus explained why she still wore her wedding ring.

michellems

michellems

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 7:04 AM

I really felt for Sam, but he did cheat on this girlfriend with O'Hara very recently, which could be why it came so easily to the gf to cheat on him. Coop really needs to fix this situation asap.

O'Hara's got me on the edge of my seat. I can't wait to see what she does next.

TeresaDee

TeresaDee

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 8:25 AM

Great episode....it's all coming down. Love you, Jackie, but it was bound to happen.

Interesting that the synopsis from Sho.com is a bit different than what we saw...last minute tweaking, perhaps?

Slapstick

Slapstick

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 8:48 AM

This may give me all kinds of hate, but I can't help it. Coop is an ass for sleeping with the girlfriend, but the girlfriend is even more so. When she said, "He's a nurse" as though Sam was just a rung in a ladder she's using to get to the top rung (a doctor) made me sick. Behavior like that is NOT what women like to hear; we've worked to hard to try to get out of that "sleeping to the top" mentality.

I also was fixated on the lack of seat belts. I kept waiting for someone to broadside their vehicle. And why weren't they buckled up? Because of pretzels????? They couldn't reach the snack bin?

Edited by Slapstick, Jun 1, 2010 @ 8:49 AM.

Floridabound

Floridabound

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 10:16 AM

And why weren't they buckled up?

Bad writing. Really, really, really, really, really bad writing.

frostedglass

frostedglass

Stalker

• Interests:Comedy, yoga, reading TWoP

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 10:42 AM

Maybe the no seat belts part was intentional. Jackie is reckless as hell, Kevin shows an uncharacteristic very bad dad moment at the end...The parents are so wrapped up in their problems, one of their daughters pulls her hair out and has severe anxiety. It doesn't seem off the mark that they'd be lax about buckling the girls up when they are so in their own shit. I think this a good example of the shit show that drug abuse can bring to a family. Jackie has been falling apart piece by piece since the show started, and Kevin is being brought down with his suspicions of Jackie and leaving them on the side of the road. Jackie's abuse doesn't just effect herself, it effects friends, co-workers, spouse and children.

I liked O'Hara's anger and bonding with Akilitis. Zoey stepped in for Jackie just fine and Coop was just Coop the good and the bad. The show at the hospital goes on even without Jackie there. I'm not all that invested in Sam and his gf's relationship and I saw the Coop hook-up coming form a mile away, like most people who tuned in last episode. I wonder if it is a plot device to drive Sam back to drugs and somehow cross paths with Jackie over drugs again.

Edited by frostedglass, Jun 1, 2010 @ 10:49 AM.

Binet

Binet

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 10:49 AM

Maybe the no seat belts part was intentional. Jackie is reckless as hell, Kevin shows an uncharacteristic very bad dad moment at the end...The parents are so wrapped up in their problems, one of their daughters pulls her hair out and has severe anxiety. It doesn't seem off the mark that they'd be lax about buckling the girls up when they are so in their own shit. I think this a good example of the shit show that drug abuse can bring to a family. Jackie has been falling apart piece by piece since the show started, and Kevin is being brought down with his suspicions of Jackie and leaving them on the side of the road. Jackie's abuse doesn't just effect herself, it effects friends, co-workers, spouse and children.

I hope you're right, frostedglass, because that's a much more optimistic explanation than shitty writing. The one thing that makes me think you could be on to something is that Jackie did tell the girls to buckle up, then failed to follow up. It's not like the writers totally ignored the seatbelt issue.

dick simple

dick simple

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 10:52 AM

it's all coming down. Love you, Jackie, but it was bound to happen.

You think so? They've brought Jackie to an edge before . . . let js dangle all summer . . . and then pfft! nothing.

It must be very liberating to be a writer knowing if you don't want to or can't you don't need to come up with an ending to your story.

philmphile

philmphile

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 11:13 AM

I was on the edge of my seat during the entire episode. Also, I was distracted by the non-buckling of the seat belt, but I forgave the writer/director. This is Showtime, not Nickelodean. We're all adults and we know we should buckle up. Between Eleanor's boxing her in on one side and the epileptic drug dealer on the other, the suspense was killing me. I, too, wondered what was up with the wacky B&B lady with one guest bedroom, but, again, I must forgive the writer/director because it was hilarious.

ShelleySue

ShelleySue

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 11:14 AM

It must be very liberating to be a writer knowing if you don't want to or can't you don't need to come up with an ending to your story.

As frustrating as that was for all of us, it's still better than a character waking up and finding out it was all a dream. I just hope that the writers follow-up next year without leaving so many unanswered questions.

Floridabound

Floridabound

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 11:24 AM

It's not like the writers totally ignored the seatbelt issue.

But the parents did. So Kevin sucks at being a parent as much as Jackie.

And if the writers were top notch, they would have found another way to show both parents suck that didn't take the audience so violently out of the story. It was similar to the kid in the box scene in Medium. Gratuitous, disturbing, graphic and piss poor suck writing.

Incredible. Tara's writers suck beyond all suckhood, and now Jackie's writers are joining them.

Sad.

sordidheart88

sordidheart88

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 11:39 AM

And if the writers were top notch, they would have found another way to show both parents suck that didn't take the audience so violently out of the story. It was similar to the kid in the box scene in Medium. Gratuitous, disturbing, graphic and piss poor suck writing.

Incredible. Tara's writers suck beyond all suckhood, and now Jackie's writers are joining them

Really? The issue with the seatbelts takes you that much out of the story? You are honestly this enraged by such a completely minor detail in a genuinely very good and tension filled episode? I'm not trying to attack your p.o.v. honestly I'm just having a hard time understanding it. In real life parents forget to tell their kids to buckle up occasionally, it happens. It's been mentioned that Jackie told them to once and then didn't push it. Given her mindset I can completely understand why Fi and Grace's seatbelt safety would be the very last thing on her mind. Kevin seems like he would normally be more on top of that kind of thing but hey they were in happy vacation mindset at the time and they appeared to be the only car on the road so mybe Kevin just wasn't thinking about it. I'm genuinely surprised that Grace wasn't the one to say something actually, while Fiona stricks me as the type who would constantly unbuckle herself wouldn't Grace always, always keep her seatbelt buckled and refuse to even let her parents start the car until everyone else was safely strapped in too? That was more out of character to me than Jackie and Kevin's parental faux paus.

And for the record I like this season of The United States of Tara.

Edited by sordidheart88, Jun 1, 2010 @ 11:41 AM.

Morbs

Morbs

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 11:41 AM

I think it was more that the director wanted the kids to be right in the space between Jackie and her husband in the car. It is pretty common in car scenes.

DuckyinKy

DuckyinKy

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 11:47 AM

It's not like the writers totally ignored the seatbelt issue.

I saw that but figured maybe it was better for the camera shot to have the girls along with the actors in the front seat.

I'm loving Akalitis more and more, she's my favorite character. Her in her suit, she's catnip to men! And she knows best, she's been fucking the system for years!

Did he pull over or did he stop in the middle of the street? The man's a shit. Jackie will be so much better off without him.

That's what it looked like to me, in the dark on the side of the road and not even in their neighborhood. Leave your wife, but never let your kids see you give up ship.

The Solution

The Solution

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 12:15 PM

You think so? They've brought Jackie to an edge before . . . let js dangle all summer . . . and then pfft! nothing.

I just watched last season's finale again and think she just got pretty high. No OD, nothing dramatic like that, just good and high. We don't even see her pass out. She saw the rat running around in the light fixture and had enough presence of mind to say "Did anybody else see that?" All in all, just another day for a drug addict.

Omnomnomicon

Omnomnomicon

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 12:45 PM

I just watched last season's finale again and think she just got pretty high. No OD, nothing dramatic like that, just good and high. We don't even see her pass out.

But weren't there other things happening too? I seem to recall a sense that everything was closing in on her from all sides, and that's why she took a huge amount of whatever it was. None of the circumstances really got addressed.

Didn't notice the seatbelt debacle. Don't care.

decades

decades

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 12:57 PM

tension? what exactly happened? More Kevin " cherishing" his unavailable woman? ohhh Kevin is SO UPSET. Watch out Jackie! And Ohara really looks like she is going to lower the boom on Jackie! please. this series never goes anywhere.

Edited by decades, Jun 1, 2010 @ 12:58 PM.

peridot16

peridot16

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 1:08 PM

Sam mentioned that his girlfriend cheated on him before. If his sobriety really depends on a flaky woman, he really needs to get out of that fucked up relationship.

I felt bad for O'Hara during this episode, she really seemed depressed. I loved O'Hara and Akalitus scene and Coop's scenes with the Tourette's guy. It was shitty that he slept with Sam's girlfriend, is he really that hard up for a date? He easily got with that model last season.

That drug dealer guy looked and sounded creepy.

The Solution

The Solution

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 1:29 PM

But weren't there other things happening too? I seem to recall a sense that everything was closing in on her from all sides, and that's why she took a huge amount of whatever it was. None of the circumstances really got addressed.

But they kind of did get addressed.

The Eddie thing is still ongoing, ad nauseam.

Kevin must have given her the new ring and obviously knows nothing about Jackie's relationship with Eddie.

Jackie's finger has healed.

Jackie didn't get caught stealing the morphine because the ghetto pyxsys thing is a piece of shit.

Since Jackie didn't OD, she may well have gone on to assist O'Hara with her mother. Jackie is a functioning addict. Even three vials of morphine didn't do her in.

Coop still wants to have hatesex with her. You can tell.

No consequences for Jackie. Yet.

frostedglass

frostedglass

Stalker

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 1:36 PM

Maybe it's because I don't have children, or maybe I'm a horrible person, but I didn't even notice the seat belt thing until I came here. After watching the episode again, I'm wondering f it was on purpose and not really caring if it were an accident. It was the least of my thoughts during this episode, which I found almost too fast-paced. That is the problem for me with these Showtime series that only have 12 episode seasons...the pacing is sometimes too slow per episode, then it's like "wham, we have to cram everything in the next episode or 2!" I was going along with the tension of the episode though. Kevin is finally onto one of Jackie's deeds, but I feel like he's been suspicious of her all season. I'm eager to see Kevin and O'hara confront Jackie on the drugs and maybe Kevin confronting her on Eddie.

I wonder if the very first opening shot of the series, which was similar if not the same show as the season one finale is intentionally being left out of the show's frame for now. To me, it seems that is where the series will end...with what was going on with Jackie all a long, and her half in and half out of reality/life. I don't really dwell on the cliff hanger form last year not being addressed so far. I think it will be at some point. I'm more interested on what's going on now than wondering what the opening shots of the series and closing shots of one finale may or may not mean.
plus this...

I just watched last season's finale again and think she just got pretty high. No OD, nothing dramatic like that, just good and high. We don't even see her pass out. She saw the rat running around in the light fixture and had enough presence of mind to say "Did anybody else see that?" All in all, just another day for a drug addict.

Edited by frostedglass, Jun 1, 2010 @ 1:59 PM.

dick simple

dick simple

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 1:58 PM

THANKS! I'll take it.

iolamorgenstern

iolamorgenstern

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 2:04 PM

this series never goes anywhere.

Pretty much. I forgot it was on yesterday, and it wasn't just the holiday weekend, because I damn sure remembered to watch "Breaking Bad" on Sunday.

The seatbelt thing makes perfect sense as a deliberate choice for the writers to make - Jackie's not watching the kids and Kevin's assuming that she is. I don't think it's shitty writing at all to put that detail in. Granted, I don't think the writers really have a plan other than "let Jackie lie, cheat and steal for the next few seasons without getting caught" - but this was one detail that actually worked.

What's really starting to bug is not only are the patient stories reflections of what's going on in Jackie's life (a la "Grey's Anatomy") but now her coworkers are living out twisted fragments of her reality as well. Sam's an addict, O'Hara was in love with someone who didn't care about her, and now Coop's an adulterer. I keep thinking the last shot of the series finale will be Jackie in a locked ward, shaking a snow globe and grinning to herself.

Rockbell

Rockbell

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 2:07 PM

Maybe it's because I don't have children, or maybe I'm a horrible person, but I didn't even notice the seat belt thing until I came here.

Oh, you're not a horrible person because you didn't get worried enough for the safety of characters in a scripted TV show.

Personally, I don't think it was supposed to mean anything, except that it was just easier to frame the shot that way.

I'm still confused about what Eddie might do now, though, knowing about Sam's girlfriend and Coop.

I think Eddie already did it (i.e., let Sam know who's banging his GF).

I thought that was bit of lazy writing there, actually. Coop comes in to tell Eddie that he's banging Sam's GF (that, I can believe), and exactly 5 min. later, Sam's telling Eddie that he thinks someone is banging his GF. Uh huh.

But I did like Eddie calling Coop a dick to his face, and Coop just went, "Yeah, you're so awesome." Ha.

When she said, "He's a nurse" as though Sam was just a rung in a ladder she's using to get to the top rung (a doctor) made me sick. Behavior like that is NOT what women like to hear; we've worked to hard to try to get out of that "sleeping to the top" mentality.

True. But it WAS funny. And even funnier when Coop replied, "Yeah."

However, I did think it was a bit weird. She apparently stuck with Sam during his addiction, which you would think would be much more difficult to deal with than the so-called ignominy of dating a nurse.

I keep thinking the last shot of the series finale will be Jackie in a locked ward, shaking a snow globe and grinning to herself.

And in the snow globe is the All Saints hospital, and the whole series was nothing but a dream?

Ha, sorry. I just read this recently:

http://en.wikipedia....e#Final_episode

frostedglass

frostedglass

Stalker

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 2:13 PM

I need to pay closer attention, because I missed the seat belts and I thought Sam's gf said "he's a curse," not "he's a nurse." Given Coop's pride and insecurity about being alpha-Dr-man, "nurse" makes a bazillion times more sense!