Raising Hope

• Please log in to reply

3431 replies to this topic

theatremouse

theatremouse

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 9:39 AM

I think they said that their tv doesn't go over 60, which is still cable.

I can't remember if they specifically stated cable or no cable in previous episodes, but "doesn't go over 60" doesn't necessarily imply cable. Growing up our local Fox affiliate was 64 over the air, and UPN was something in the 50s.

Edited by theatremouse, Apr 6, 2012 @ 9:40 AM.

Kev

Kev

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 2:00 AM

I loved the scene where Jimmy and Sabrina were trying to get Hope to say Sabrina's name. She doesn't but then she yells out Shelly's name.

Ankai

Ankai

Stalker

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 8:08 AM

Funny, but fair. Shelly has been her caretaker for quite a while. Has Hope even said "Daddy" to Jimmy? She may have, but I have forgotten.

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 6:25 PM

This may be a dumb question, but what day and time is this show on?

I've only seen the newer episodes OnDemand.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 8:45 PM

The schedule was a little different while Glee was gone, but basically it's Tuesdays at 9:30.

AmazingGrace

AmazingGrace

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:31 AM

I don't mean to nitpick on my favorite show, but upon watching Sabrina's New Jimmy a few times I noticed,if Shelly has a drinking problem severe enough to have an AA sponsor why is she making drinks for her girls-night-in with Sabrina? I also think they're broadcasting some episodes out of production order because in Spanks Butt, No Spanks, Jimmy refers to Hope's crib, but she's really sleeping in a playpen. In Hogging All the Glorythat aired after we see Hope's wooden crib and Jimmy has an accident, "my nipple, my nipple, my nipple!" which causes the crib to be taken away. Ankai, In SBNS, when Hope shows Jimmy the knobs she removed from the stove, she kind-of says "da" or it could be "na." I don't know how Jimmy carried Hope, opened the kitchen windows, and helped a semi-conscious Burt out of the house, but that's another nitpick for later. ;)

Great news! According to Raising Hope FOX' Twitter:

#raisinghope will return for a 3rd season this Fall and we're letting the fans know first!

YAY!!!! :)

FOX Renews Raising Hope for a Third Season

Edited by AmazingGrace, Apr 9, 2012 @ 1:14 PM.

namrog

namrog

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 2:21 PM

TVLine and other sites are reporting that the show has been renewed for Season 3!

CGRealms

CGRealms

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 3:37 PM

I don't mean to nitpick on my favorite show, but upon watching Sabrina's New Jimmy a few times I noticed,if Shelly has a drinking problem severe enough to have an AA sponsor why is she making drinks for her girls-night-in with Sabrina?

I do believe that was the joke.

TVLine and other sites are reporting that the show has been renewed for Season 3!

Awesome!

Edited by CGRealms, Apr 9, 2012 @ 3:38 PM.

AmazingGrace

AmazingGrace

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 5:10 PM

CGRealms, True. And she's allowed to own her home-based daycare. But it's just a sitcom. ;) I found another nitpick, when I wasn't looking for one. I re-watched Don't Vote for this Episode, which was last year's season finale. Burt didn't start the lawn care business until Jimmy was 18. There was an episode in this season where Burt had a business proposal with a Jerry Maguire theme. "Mow Me the Money". So when did he exactly start his business? I'm glad the show is getting renewed so we can watch more of the Chances' antics and see Baylie and Rylie getting some minor speaking parts as they learn to talk. :)

Edited by AmazingGrace, Apr 9, 2012 @ 5:11 PM.

Bella

Bella

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 8:59 PM

Season 2, Episode 21: Inside Probe

In a very special "mockumentary" episode, Nancy Grace examines the "real story" of Hope's mom, serial killer Lucy Carlisle. Grace interviews each member of the Chance family, all of whom relay personal accounts of exactly what happened when Jimmy met Lucy back in 2008. At the end of the program, the Chances are shocked to find out developing details about Lucy.

Preview 1
Preview 2
Preview 3
Preview 4

CGRealms

CGRealms

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 11:14 PM

CGRealms, True. And she's allowed to own her home-based daycare. But it's just a sitcom. ;)

One of the things I love about both this and "My Name is Earl" is the way it presents a low income universe that operates on its own set of rules. In an ideal world, alcoholics wouldn't run daycares. And yet today thousands of kids across the country probably were dropped off at home-run day care operations run by alcoholics. The parents may not be aware, or consciously choose not to be aware, because they can't afford anything better. And on any given day, the vast, vast majority of those kids probably make it through A-OK. Garcia's shows find a way to mine both the truth and the humor of less-than-perfect, and see the human beings past the flaws. Shelly's got a drinking problem, and she runs a day care. We've been shown no reason to believe the two cross over. On a drama, they inevitably would to tragic consequences. In the real world, 1 out of every 5 are high functioning alcoholics who mask the effects of their disease and successfully compartmentalize professional, personal and drinking lives.

I found another nitpick, when I wasn't looking for one. I re-watched Don't Vote for this Episode, which was last year's season finale. Burt didn't start the lawn care business until Jimmy was 18. There was an episode in this season where Burt had a business proposal with a Jerry Maguire theme. "Mow Me the Money". So when did he exactly start his business?

The one that always stuck out to me in that episode was that the supermarket was a Howdy Mart when Sabrina first got hired, even though it didn't get converted into one until episode 2.

I'm glad the show is getting renewed so we can watch more of the Chances' antics and see Baylie and Rylie getting some minor speaking parts as they learn to talk. :)

Me too!

LT

LT

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 8:24 AM

I'm glad the show is getting renewed so we can watch more of the Chances' antics and see Baylie and Rylie getting some minor speaking parts as they learn to talk. :)

And I've read that since it got renewed for Season 3 it will most likely get renewed for Season 4 to make it to syndication numbers. Considering how well MNiE does in syndication I'm guessing a Season 4 for RH is more likely than not.

Rockstar99435

Rockstar99435

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:56 AM

CGRealms, True. And she's allowed to own her home-based daycare. But it's just a sitcom. ;)

One of the things I love about both this and "My Name is Earl" is the way it presents a low income universe that operates on its own set of rules. In an ideal world, alcoholics wouldn't run daycares. And yet today thousands of kids across the country probably were dropped off at home-run day care operations run by alcoholics. The parents may not be aware, or consciously choose not to be aware, because they can't afford anything better. And on any given day, the vast, vast majority of those kids probably make it through A-OK. Garcia's shows find a way to mine both the truth and the humor of less-than-perfect, and see the human beings past the flaws. Shelly's got a drinking problem, and she runs a day care.

Have we ever seen Shelly drink at all before? I just assumed that Shelly had been arrested for something alcohol related and had to go to meetings as part of her plea bargain, not that she was an alcoholic. I don't know what this says about me and my friends back when I was in my early 20's, but I knew several people who had to go to meetings because they got in trouble. The vast majority of these people weren't alcoholics, but bored, drunk college students who did something stupid. Southpark even did an episode a couple of years ago about the problems with making non-addicts go to meetings as part of their court-ordered punishments.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:16 PM

In a flashback, Shelly was drunk at a party. (Her first episode I think.)

AmazingGrace

AmazingGrace

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 9:07 PM

Some good jokes, Cloris was hysterical, but I'm going to have to watch this again before reviewing, except to say, WTF --Jimmy married Lucy, Lucy is alive (even though Jimmy with Hope on his lap) witnessed the execution. Now we know who files for custody of Hope. Lucy. How is Greg Garcia going to make this one right? She better have a twin or something.

CrimsonGirl

CrimsonGirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 9:11 PM

I often find the TV trope of framing of a documentary - as they did in tonight's episode - gimmicky.

However, I actually laughed out loud several times tonight. Especially during the prison wedding.

Good episode.

DMike

DMike

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 9:18 PM

All I can think is maybe Lucy somehow survived being electrocuted, but I'm still clueless on why she wouldn't still be in prison.

AmazingGrace

AmazingGrace

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 9:40 PM

Speaking of tropes, I normally hate the "It was just a dream", but in this case, I will gladly make the exception. I don't see how they are going to justify all this next week. I hope Jimmy is just dreaming all of this.

iCrap

iCrap

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 9:55 PM

So it looks like the season finale is going to be the original season premiere.

For those that don't know, there was a cut cliffhanger from the first season finale that featured Lucy's return. It was cut before the episode originally aired, but was included in the extended cut of the finale on the DVD.

Back in September 2011, Greg Garcia discussed the season premiere that would have been had the cliffhanger not been cut:

The idea was going to be at the beginning of the season I was going to do an episode which basically said that she survived the execution, they’ve been hiding her and now she wants the baby back, but at the end of the first episode this year I was going to kill her again.

The only reason we didn’t do it was that we were kind of thinking that over the summer we’d get some new viewers and then to do the whole thing in the first episode where we introduce this woman only to kill her again it was like maybe that’s a bad idea, maybe we should do a bread and butter episode of what this show is really like. So as much as I kind of dug the idea, we decided not to do it.

I remember reading in another interview (that I cannot find now) is that the reason she was no longer in prison was that she had technically served her sentence for her crime (even though it didn't kill her), so she couldn't be re-sentenced for it. She was then to kill again in the premiere which would've resulted in her second, and final, electrocution.

I wonder if the story will play out as it was originally planned to, or if they're going to keep Lucy around in a recurring role next season, which could be interesting...

Because I had seen the extended episode previously and had read this interview last year, I had a feeling that tonight's episode was leading up to Lucy still being alive when Virginia started saying that she knows how the story ends. Otherwise the reveal would've been just as awesome as the cut cliffhanger. :(

Edited by iCrap, Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:29 PM.

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:04 PM

I thought this episode was really disappointing. Not just because of the 'hey, look, Lucy's (probably) alive!' gimmick, though that strikes me as a profoundly bad idea, but because I just found the episode incredibly unfunny. Once you got past the documentary conceit, there was just so little there that was clever or creative, at least to me.

I really loved the first season of this show, but aside from a handful of gems, this season's been really meh for me overall. This one may actually rank as one of my two or three least favorite episodes of the series, and I'm pretty sure I'd feel that way even if I happened to like Nancy Grace!

Edited by MsTaken, Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:04 PM.

karra

karra

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:10 PM

That was awesome. I loved all the references to My Name is Earl, which...apparently is a tv show despite the fact that the show takes place in the same universe? Maybe they made a tv show based on Earl's life? I could buy that.

Anyone notice that Lucy's wearing the same outfit in this episode that she was wearing in the first episode and in the unused "she's alive" scene?

Edited by karra, Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:10 PM.

TheAesthete

TheAesthete

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:58 PM

If her sentence was death by electrocution, and she survived, they would have electrocuted her again until she was dead. That, or they would have got a court order to use a different method. Not that I expect tv shows (especially sitcoms) to adhere to how anything (especially the law) really works. But I hope they come up with something so clever I could never expect it, because every possibility I'm coming up with annoys the frogs outta me.

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 12:14 AM

I don't really know how they are going to explain her surviving the execution.

I liked the episode other than that though. Surprised that he married her, did we know that before? I don't recall that coming up, just knew they had the child together.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:27 AM

What the French, Greg Garcia?! I thought y'all decided Lucy being alive was a bad idea! So where has she been the past 2 years? I don't even know if it's worth asking questions about this plot twist.

About the rest of the episode:
Well, MawMaw's funny sitcom dementia was out in full force.

Virginia was named after cigarettes!

I liked seeing the everyone's baby/young photos (along with the made up captions). The prison wedding and Virginia saying no one would watch them every week were funny, but nothing really made laugh out loud.

Jimmy got married? Really?!

It was cool to see Greyson Chance again, though.

Somebody

Somebody

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:37 AM

I just don't understand why even if Lucy survived the execution she wouldn't be In prison? Very stupid.

Also a pretty unfunny episode. As a fairly new viewer(I've been watching mostly all this season), something really dumb like this could make me stop watching the show.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:48 AM

Last year's season-ending flashback episode was funny and sweet; now it's like they're trying too hard to be "wacky".

Edited by Trini Girl, Apr 11, 2012 @ 12:02 PM.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 2:00 AM

I was really unhappy with this episode. Bringing Lucy back really isn't fun or funny to me. It's also ridiculous that they wouldn't know if she had somehow survived the execution or been released from prison. I'm really unhappy about it.

karra

karra

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 2:51 AM

I think that the explanation Garcia had originally been using was that Lucy, being a genius, was able to argue that executing her again would be cruel and unusual punishment. I don't know about the rest.

Brandi Maxxxx

Brandi Maxxxx

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 3:24 AM

Anyone notice that at the end you could hear Sabrina's Howdy's commercial from "Baby Monitor"? She must have found out that Barney never submitted it.

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 3:55 AM

I've been trying to track down the legal technicality they used on Torchwood: Miracle Day but I just keep running into "a legal technicality" with no further explanation, and I forget now what it was. But there's a TV precedent anyway.

I hope this is the last documentary/movie/"how others see them" kind of episode, because I don't enjoy them. They always look too staged and phony, and the more unstaged and unphony they try to make the staged phoniness look. the worse it is. It's actors deliberately doing bad acting, badly. It's just not funny to me. Also, I wonder if this was written to serve as a series finale "just in case," since they mention "who would watch that?" I hope they wrap up Lucy pretty damn fast next year and get back to what I love, the Chances being the Chances.

But I did love the shark melon - that was awesome.

Edited by randomchance, Apr 11, 2012 @ 3:58 AM.