Raising Hope

• Please log in to reply

3431 replies to this topic

Cejaye

Cejaye

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 22, 2010 @ 1:54 AM

I liked it a lot, and thought it was really funny. I'm setting the season pass for sure, here's hoping it does well, ratings wise.

The My Name is Earl nod: Right after the story about Lucy being a boyfriend killer finishes, the newscaster goes, "And in lighter news, a small time crook with a long list of wrongs he was making amends for has finally finished, and you'll never guess how it ended!" And then the mom unplugs the tv.

I kinda hope they do a My Name is Earl nod every now and then through out the first season. Nothing as big as the news blurb, but maybe a tabloid cover or newspaper article or something more creative than I can come up with.

Edited by Cejaye, Sep 22, 2010 @ 1:56 AM.

Yvaughn

Yvaughn

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2010 @ 4:34 AM

I too turned in mainly because of Plimpton and because of the great reviews.

I'm glad I did.

Rocker73

Rocker73

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 22, 2010 @ 7:06 AM

Thanks, Cejaye...I completely missed that reference to Earl! I am one who also tuned in because I couldn't find anything else to watch on a Tuesday night (sorry, but I am proud to NOT be a "Gleek", or whatever it is they call themselves). I hadn't read any reviews and the only cast member that I recognized was Cloris, but I will definitely be back!

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Sep 22, 2010 @ 8:22 AM

Oh man. I missed that reference, too.

When I had seen the clips of this a while back, I thought it looked hilarious. I'm sorry to say I didn't think the same thing watching the whole thing. Maybe that has to do with watching it at 6 in the morning.

But I felt like the pilot was a good setup for the series. I love Garrett Dillahunt and Martha Plimpton. Their characters seem to have a great relationship. I also really like the store clerk (I remember the actress from The Riches). It's great to see Kenny. I think the cousin is a hoot. The baby is cute. (How did they get it to cry so much?) I smiled a lot seeing the Glarkware.

I don't know the characters' names yet. Except for Hope.

zoetta

zoetta

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 22, 2010 @ 8:27 AM

I just KNEW I'd find the MNIE fans here. (Sigh of near contentment.) I was feeling pretty good about the show as it progressed, but I was HOOKED with the Earl reference on the tv news. Nice to know GG is thinking about us. BUT I STILL WANT TO KNOW WHAT"S HAPPENING IN CAMDEN COUNTY! (Or is this Camden County? Although if it is, Kenny is in disguise.)

I like the continuing theme of seeking a purpose in life, a la Randy; the odd details and references; the development of a larger community around the main characters, the sweetness mixed with the strange....

esprit15d

esprit15d

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 22, 2010 @ 9:23 AM

The My Name is Earl nod: Right after the story about Lucy being a boyfriend killer finishes, the newscaster goes, "And in lighter news, a small time crook with a long list of wrongs he was making amends for has finally finished, and you'll never guess how it ended!" And then the mom unplugs the tv.

I missed that too. Awesome!

BettyPoz

BettyPoz

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 22, 2010 @ 9:25 AM

I LOVE this show! I missed the whole Earl reference because I was so busy watching Martha Plimpton that I didn't catch it.

I like the continuing theme of seeking a purpose in life, a la Randy; the odd details and references; the development of a larger community around the main characters, the sweetness mixed with the strange..

Well said zoetta! They're just a family trying to make their way through life.

I can totally believe Martha Plimpton as the mother - she always had an "older" look to her face and besides - baby at 15, son who's 18? 20? makes her only 35!

It's a totally sweet and funny show - hope it makes it!

esprit15d

esprit15d

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 22, 2010 @ 9:34 AM

It was dark how they got rid of the baby's mother and would a baby really be kept in a prison for six months?

I don't know about a maximum security place--a little more doubtful--but i knew a girl who had twins in jail, and they were with her. But it was a lower security facility.

Fave line (thank you Cloris): "Get that dog off my couch!!"

FTW

callie lee 29

callie lee 29

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2010 @ 9:38 AM

I'm so happy this was as good as I had hoped. After reading negative upon negative reviews, I was getting worried. I'd wanted to see this show since they started doings adverts for it, cute premise, adorable baby... I'll try it. And I loved it. Between this and the rest of Fox's lineup Tuesday, NCIS & LA might get DVR'd...

Oh and thanks GG for the Earl shout-out!

zoetta

zoetta

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 22, 2010 @ 9:55 AM

Oh -- and the potential for running jokes! I'm a sucker for running jokes!

Esco81

Esco81

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 22, 2010 @ 10:36 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the pool kid wearing like 1st generation glarkware (the tee-shirt with the ape and Lincoln)? If so, yay glarkware!

Yes! And I totally own that Sasquatch vs. Abraham Lincoln tee & wear it all the time. Classic Glarkware. I squeeeed for a good ten minutes.

I was happy that this show met my expectations in a good way. I'll be tuning in next week for certain.

wolfdreamer

wolfdreamer

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 22, 2010 @ 11:36 AM

Ok this might be my own prejudice but since the family is so dumb, shouldn't they have had like a half dozen kids running around. I mean the parents are only about 35 and them being dirt poor and stupid there prime candidates for having a large family.

Solea

Solea

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2010 @ 12:49 PM

It was subversive. I liked it. And I love Garrett Dillahunt.
That is all.

acatmaylook

acatmaylook

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2010 @ 12:56 PM

I "Hope" the series continues in the same quality as the pilot. I loved the car scene, with the same hole in the floor that young Jimmy stuck his head through, and the cousin with the tiny tattoo'd mustache on his finger (cool!) who continues to pee in the hedges, despite Garret Dillahunt's pushing him in. I couldn't quite picture an Earlverse revolving around a baby who can't talk yet, or interact with the other characters to any great extent, but it seems to work.

Edited by acatmaylook, Sep 22, 2010 @ 12:57 PM.

pipkin

pipkin

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 22, 2010 @ 1:24 PM

Ok this might be my own prejudice but since the family is so dumb, shouldn't they have had like a half dozen kids running around. I mean the parents are only about 35 and them being dirt poor and stupid there prime candidates for having a large family.

A) I don't think they were portrayed as stupid, just poor, uneducated, and generally taking a cynical and pragmatic approach to things. The mother, at least, certainly. None of them was portrayed as Randy levels of stupid, even the cousin, who was the dumbest of the lot.

B) Way to stereotype the poor. Yes, that is your own prejudice talking.

Fatty McButter

Fatty McButter

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 22, 2010 @ 2:15 PM

B) Way to stereotype the poor. Yes, that is your own prejudice talking.

Where's the "Like" button for that comment?

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2010 @ 2:35 PM

Not everybody poor and under- or un-educated is having lots of children - and I don't think they are dumb people. Indeed, I think the parents - who are still together which bucks the teenage pregnancy statistics right there - seem to have a functioning and contented relationship with each other and didn't do a bad job raising their son. He is not too bright but he is good-natured, and as ignorant as he is - he is trying to do right by his baby.

Qui

Qui

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 22, 2010 @ 4:11 PM

Where's the "Like" button for that comment?

Word.

Just saw a Gerber ad and almost choked laughing thinking about "Asian babies".

As stupid as the question was I've often heard the "male babies" on baby food to give to girls thing, even from reasonably intelligent people. I think it's more of a matter of extreme paranoia re: new parents, than just plain stupid.

Definitely watching next week.

Edited by Qui, Sep 22, 2010 @ 4:12 PM.

McKittenplan

McKittenplan

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 22, 2010 @ 4:14 PM

I wasn't going to watch this show but got distracted after Glee ended and after five minutes I was hooked. I could do without the cousin and I really don't find Cloris Leachman as funny as the rest of the world seems to (plus, old ladies being naked and/or making sexual comments really isn't the pinnacle of hilarity, comedy writers of the world) but otherwise I thought it was great. Just a wonderful blend of absurd and sweet. I'll definitely be watching again.

Inquiry

Inquiry

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 22, 2010 @ 4:54 PM

Well the ratings are in. I expected better, but they were not that bad. Hopefully, word of mouth will make the ratings grow in the upcoming weeks (I know I've been telling all my friends about it). This show has such wonderful potential, it would be a shame if it got canceled.

http://blog.zap2it.c...underwhelm.html

LiberryLady

LiberryLady

Stalker

Posted Sep 22, 2010 @ 5:12 PM

A detail I loved: not only was the baby wearing a tiny denim prison outfit, but she also had a number stitched to the front of her shirt. Ha!

I kinda hope they do a My Name is Earl nod every now and then through out the first season. Nothing as big as the news blurb, but maybe a tabloid cover or newspaper article or something more creative than I can come up with.

I wish we'd see little things like that, too, but I don't think we will. :( Greg Garcia said at a panel that there would be one Earl shout-out, and then that would be it. (Thanks, btw, to those who pointed out where the shout-out was. I feel like such a noodlehead for missing it.) I mean, he may change his mind, but as of now that's what his plan is, Earl-wise.

Re: Martha Plimpton's age. I checked imdb; she's turning forty in November. So she's actually a few years older than the character she's playing. At the same panel as the aforementioned one, she said she was apprehensive about the whole grandma thing, but decided it was worth it. She really loved the script. (And seriously, she could just about play her younger self, right? She's changed so little.)

Qui

Qui

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 22, 2010 @ 5:56 PM

Oh and sidenote. Garret Dillahunt is not a complete psycho in this!

So that makes what? two?

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 22, 2010 @ 6:21 PM

I watched the first ep online & just added it to my DVR. Aside from the fact that no way would they have a trial & carry out a death penalty sentence in 15 months (gestation + 6 mos of baby's life) in real life, I loved it.

Any chance we'll get whojackie in here?

Charlie Baker

Charlie Baker

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 22, 2010 @ 6:34 PM

So that makes what? two?

Are you counting Jesus?

This show I liked. Just the right mix of off the wall, down and dirty, and a tiny bit of heart. Kind of like MNIE at its best.

I'll stick with this one.

callie lee 29

callie lee 29

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2010 @ 8:45 PM

I watched the first ep online & just added it to my DVR. Aside from the fact that no way would they have a trial & carry out a death penalty sentence in 15 months (gestation + 6 mos of baby's life) in real life, I loved it.

That's what I was thinking as well. But (and I may be dreaming this) I thought they said she had escaped, so I assumed she had already been convicted and sentenced to death row, broke out, got knocked up, and then went back to jail.

chasityblair

chasityblair

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 22, 2010 @ 11:46 PM

So that makes what? two?

Jim Beaver on Supernatural=Awesome...

John Hawkes on Eastbound and Down=Awesome...

Titus Welliver, Dayton Callie, AND Paula F' in Malcolmson on Sons of Anarchy= Effin Awesome...

Garret Dillahunt in the funniest new show this season= Priceless!

On the show front, I absolutely love Martha Plimpton and have since she was in the original movie "Parenthood". She looks fantastic, better than she did when she was younger even. And she was stone cold awesome. Loved how she got rid of Lucy. I did not see that coming!

I know that the store clerk was supposed to be all snarky and quirky and cute, but she bugged. Hope that gets worked out.

I know a show is going to be good when Cloris Leachman is the weakest link...hope it lasts.

Yvaughn

Yvaughn

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2010 @ 2:29 AM

Indeed, I think the parents - who are still together which bucks the teenage pregnancy statistics right there - seem to have a functioning and contented relationship with each other and didn't do a bad job raising their son. He is not too bright but he is good-natured, and as ignorant as he is - he is trying to do right by his baby.

Nicely said, cyberducks. I'm a sucker for shows where the characters actually like each other.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2010 @ 9:03 AM

If they can maintain the same level of excellence from the premier I think the show will get stronger ratings from word of mouth. I also talked it up a great deal yesterday and I never do that.

esprit15d

esprit15d

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2010 @ 9:22 AM

And she was stone cold awesome. Loved how she got rid of Lucy. I did not see that coming!

I know that was hilarious. I think that's why so many ppl missed the Earl reference.

This show puts me in the mind of Malcolm in the Middle (as I heard someone say at some point either here or on YouTube), which is a very good thing.

lauralius

lauralius

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 23, 2010 @ 9:42 AM

Indeed, I think the parents - who are still together which bucks the teenage pregnancy statistics right there - seem to have a functioning and contented relationship with each other and didn't do a bad job raising their son.

This is what really hooked me, and made me want to stick with this show for at least a few more episodes. They were just so wonderfully sweet during the song, and the bit at the very end after Hope stops crying, where they smile and kind of lean into each other. I love it when married TV couples genuinely seem to like each other, and I hope we get to see more of why they've been together for so long.

So that makes what? two?

Not going to lie, it'is going to be hard to see him as other than a psychopath. And him talking about Charles Manson doesn't really help. Dark mid-season reveal coming?

Another thing I randomly liked, even if it wasn't really original, was the Grandmother's mispronunciation of a few words, like dramastically, and philostrophical. Just absurd enough to be hilarious.

Edited by lauralius, Sep 23, 2010 @ 9:50 AM.