Raising Hope

• Please log in to reply

3431 replies to this topic

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2010 @ 9:58 PM

Coming this fall, Tuesdays at 9/8c on Fox...

Raising Hope (official description and news)

Trailer

I'm really looking forward to this one. The description was unsettling (his baby's mother is in prison?) but I actually thought the preview was really funny. Not too broad, and it seems to have a nice mix of humor and heart. And I love the cast. Martha Plimpton is an incredibly underappreciated actress, and she looks awesome here. I hope they use that snarky girl from the grocery store a lot. And Cloris Leachman can be good. I just hope the role will be more than "wacky grandma says inappropriate things."

But frankly, my first thought upon hearing about this show was, "But if Garrett Dillahunt has a full-time job, where will he find the time to guest star on every other television show I watch?"

LiberryLady

LiberryLady

Stalker

Posted May 31, 2010 @ 10:23 PM

As a big My Name is Earl fan, I am completely on board with this show. I gotta tell you, though, that when I read Martha Plimpton was in it, I was thrown when I realized she was supposed to be the grandma. I know she supposedly had the main character when she was young, but the actress is stuck in my head as about twenty-three years old.

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2010 @ 11:12 PM

The trailer looks funny.

I love who's playing the grandparents - Martha Plimpton and Garrett Dillahunt - so I'll be tuning in.

Nutjob

Nutjob

Stalker

Posted Aug 24, 2010 @ 2:28 PM

I gotta tell you, though, that when I read Martha Plimpton was in it, I was thrown when I realized she was supposed to be the grandma.

Seriously... me too. It doesn't help that she has aged really well (or perhaps that she looked a little worn out when she was younger--take your pick), but I don't look at her and see anyone's grandma.

I'm on board, too, though. It looks like it has the potential to be hilarious. Let's do this, whojackie!

sordidheart88

sordidheart88

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2010 @ 8:34 PM

I'm surprised with how much I enjoyed this! Really the only reason I watched is because there was absolutely nothing else on. I didn't hate any of the characters which is a very good sign. It was dark how they got rid of the baby's mother and would a baby really be kept in a prison for six months? Why wasn't the baby given to him as soon as serial killer mama gave birth? The scene of the grandparents singing to the baby was too sweet and I actually liked the love interest with her delight in tormenting her boss "The melon doodler is back again!" So I will definitely be giving this a chance. It'll be nice to have something to watch on tuesdays;)

P.S. That was a sweet little gift/shout out to the My Name is Earl fans when they let us know that this series apparently takes place in the same universe and he actually finished his list:)

Edited by sordidheart88, Sep 21, 2010 @ 8:35 PM.

fifty8th

fifty8th

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2010 @ 8:34 PM

I wasn't going to watch but I saw it had good reviews, and have been a fan of Martha Plimpon since Goonies, so I checked it out and I have to say I liked it, I hope it lasts, I really hope it lasts.

keeperrox

keeperrox

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 21, 2010 @ 8:38 PM

I'm not usually a sitcom watcher, but I left it on after Glee (good move Fox schedulers!) and I, too, really enjoyed it! I love Martha Plimpton and I just melted when she started singing. I'll continue watching for now as long as there is nothing better opposite it.

Edited by keeperrox, Sep 21, 2010 @ 8:39 PM.

prodigalchicken

prodigalchicken

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2010 @ 8:38 PM

Absurdly hilarious. I loved it, therefore, it is doomed.

Millie

Millie

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 21, 2010 @ 8:41 PM

I thought the pilot was cute but more importantly I will now be on the look out for more Glarkware....thanks Greg Garcia.

TheMents

TheMents

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 21, 2010 @ 8:43 PM

I almost never laugh out loud. But I did watching this. Really liked it.

Fave line (thank you Cloris): "Get that dog off my couch!!"

Qui

Qui

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 21, 2010 @ 8:47 PM

That was dark. And hysterical.

Please don't be doomed!

brandmed

brandmed

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2010 @ 8:50 PM

I watched this based on various critics' recommendations, but I didn't really have high hopes for it. I was surprised by how much I loved it. I didn't watch Earl so I don't know how it compares to that, but I got a Malcolm in the Middle-ish vibe from it. I really liked all the characters and I have high hopes (no pun intended) for the series.

DuckyinKy

DuckyinKy

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2010 @ 9:05 PM

Thank you Greg Garcia! I haven't laughed this hard since I don't know when.

I could not believe the girl got the electric chair. And I laughed. And he put his hand over the baby's eyes, the baby who was wearing....a prison uniform.

They both threw up on the baby. Both of them!

Edited by DuckyinKy, Sep 21, 2010 @ 9:06 PM.

juneboy44

juneboy44

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 21, 2010 @ 9:08 PM

Wow that was fantastic! From the water filled gloves as a pacifier to the naked Doris Leachman. Brilliant!

Fave line (about the baby): "She just took a shower. I think we'll start doing this weekly!"

Absurdly hilarious. I loved it, therefore, it is doomed.

Well its on after Glee so we'll see what the ratings are tomorrow!

BTW, taking a baby to an execution? Fuckerbitching awesome!

tomsmom

tomsmom

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 21, 2010 @ 9:09 PM

Now that, was funny! Loved how his Mom kept trying to convince him to drop the baby at the fire station,

"You wanna go see the fire trucks, pumpkin?"

They both throw up on the baby. Both of them!

And then the baby puked! Lmao!

GageWhitney

GageWhitney

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 21, 2010 @ 9:12 PM

I was sort of only watching because I love me some Garret Dillahunt, but I actually really enjoyed it! Really like the cast. The scene in the car was great. "How am I still alive?"

Edited by GageWhitney, Sep 21, 2010 @ 9:13 PM.

patriotickid

patriotickid

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 21, 2010 @ 9:21 PM

I liked it though it oscillates between endearing and too quirky a bit too much. Bringing a baby to an execution was a bit much yet the family dynamic was nice and you root for them to succeed.

Edited by patriotickid, Sep 21, 2010 @ 9:22 PM.

TheRabbi

TheRabbi

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2010 @ 9:40 PM

That was absolutely hilarious. I just about spit up my drink when Jimmy said "Why does it need to be strapped in?" and the mom did a quick turn. And there were so many great little things. I think I'm going to watch this again at some point this weekend. That was a great, hilarious pilot and I hope the ratings for this are good.

pipkin

pipkin

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 21, 2010 @ 9:43 PM

I was only half-watching b/c of some phone calls and things, but I liked what I saw. I knew nothing but what was in the commercials beforehand, and so I, too, was shocked when the main character referred to Martha Plimpton as Mom! Also, I'd paid little enough attention to those commercials that I thought the reveal of his boss as his dad was hilarious.

Love the checkout girl, too, can't wait to see more of her. :)

Adele613

Adele613

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 21, 2010 @ 9:48 PM

I'm already in love with this show! I can't help but be drawn to a comedy that makes me literally laugh out loud, because so few shows today are able to elicit more than a chuckle out of me. I really hope it makes it!

jbreckenridge

jbreckenridge

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2010 @ 10:23 PM

I loved how yet again we don't get to find out how Earl ends!

Kiss My Grits

Kiss My Grits

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2010 @ 10:24 PM

Really enjoyed this- will add to my season pass.

I have always had a soft spot for Martha Plimpton since the 1980s when she was in the Goonies and then dating River Phoenix. I liked her character and enjoyed a lot of the characters.

DMike

DMike

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2010 @ 10:34 PM

I only realized about ten minutes after the show ended that the guy with the list was a reference to Earl, yet oddly enough I picked out immediately that grocery girl's boss was played by Gay Kenny from the same show.

babyblackcat

babyblackcat

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2010 @ 10:53 PM

I too first knew of Martha from Goonies, so to hear she was the grandma freaked me out, but if she had her son at 15 and he's now 20...whew. I'm not ancient.

I liked it - it's definitely quirky and different, and the whole thing with the baby's mother was a bit OMG are they really doing that?? On a TV comedy??? but I think it was funny and has great potential.

wendymarx7

wendymarx7

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 21, 2010 @ 11:23 PM

Ok, so I just caught the intro recorded from my dvr of another show. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the pool kid wearing like 1st generation glarkware (the tee-shirt with the ape and Lincoln)? If so, yay glarkware! Also, yay Plimpton! I gotta check this one out.

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2010 @ 11:36 PM

I liked it! It was funny and the lead is likeable and I am loving his parents.

Please, ratings gods, be kind to this show...

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Sep 21, 2010 @ 11:45 PM

That? Was awesome.

"See, I told you having a baby at 15 would be good for something."

The actress who played young Virginia is gorgeous.

LiberryLady

LiberryLady

Stalker

Posted Sep 22, 2010 @ 12:09 AM

P.S. That was a sweet little gift/shout out to the My Name is Earl fans when they let us know that this series apparently takes place in the same universe and he actually finished his list:)

Wait, what? I've seen this twice... where was that line?

The bit with the execution was fabulous. I think what made it hilarious instead of tragic (a baby! At her mother's execution!) was the beat before Jimmy covered the baby's eyes. That delayed oops! drove home what a goofus Jimmy was.

I also adored Virginia's dry "What's the rush? You know we're on our way to clean toilets." Ha!

I'm not usually a sitcom watcher, but I left it on after Glee (good move Fox schedulers!)

I saw Greg Garcia talk about this; he joked that they were going to start each show with a song, so people wouldn't realize they weren't still watching Glee.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2010 @ 12:17 AM

I'm still laughing an hour later. My first new must watch tv show of the season.

Edited by angelita100, Sep 22, 2010 @ 12:17 AM.

corgi-ears

corgi-ears

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2010 @ 12:39 AM

I have the fridge magnet in the top left of this picture: http://bit.ly/d2hgW8. It shows a bird saying, "I puke in my kids' mouths." I never thought I would see it dramatized on a network sitcom.