Season 10 Predictions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

33 replies to this topic

Cherry Wire

Cherry Wire

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2010 @ 8:47 PM

Well, Simon Cowell has left the building and Idol is coming off arguably its weakest season, but apparently the show goes on next year with a 10th season - complete with MySpace auditions (which I'm sure will go well).

Anyone want to predict what will happen?

In particular, who will be the chosen one? They'll surely want a girl to win after three male winners...maybe they'll aggressively push an anti-Crystal, someone more like a Britney pop-starlet type?

What happens to the judging panel? Just Randy, Ellen, and Kara?

What else will they try to do to keep this lumbering beast of a show going?

NaturalBlonde

NaturalBlonde

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 28, 2010 @ 11:54 AM

They could be honest and call it "Guy I Wanna Snuggle With" Idol. Other than that, I got nuthin'...

Occasional Hope

Occasional Hope

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2010 @ 3:34 PM

My predictions:

Desperate efforts to get a female winner - maybe reverting to a non-gender balanced semi-final system
Reduced viewing figures right from the start and declining through the season
Increasingly obvious signs of desperation from TPTB until the inevitable announcement that it is the Final Season (just in time to clear the ranks for Simon's X Factor)

I think there will be a new judge, probably a useless one.

BootStar

BootStar

Couch Potato

Posted May 28, 2010 @ 4:41 PM

After that finale this past week, I'm not convinced there's going to BE a season 10!

Bastille

Bastille

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2010 @ 5:04 PM

Within the first four weeks of live shows, a results show will inspire some version of this sentiment: "Thank God the producers were able to get Lee/Crystal/Casey/Mike to come back and show these hapless kids how it's done. There was more energy and conviction in his/her performance than in the sum total of what we've heard so far from this dreadful group. Yes, that includes the so-called standouts, Branden and Danielle, who would already be gone in any other year. I wasn't even a fan of Lee/Crystal/Casey/Mike when S9 was going on; now I realize how good we had it. I even downloaded that song."

Also, MySpace auditions? Ah, Idol. I love that you're persistently three or four years behind.

At this point I have no plans to watch, but you know how that is. People also say that at this point they have no plans to smoke more cigarettes or eat more candy. We'll see come January.

Ashlae

Ashlae

Channel Surfer

Posted May 28, 2010 @ 5:32 PM

My predictions:

Season 10's cast will be even more bland, dull and terrible than Season 9's cast. We complain about Season 9 now but we never know a good (okay?) thing until it's gone.

TPTB will be even more desperate for a female winner than ever before and that includes the guys being even more worse vocally than season 3 guys. I even think we will be seeing less guitars from the guys and maybe more pianos from the cast as a whole.

We will get a new judge and it won't even compare to Simon. Randy and Kara are going to team up and become BFFs. Ellen will be even more useless in season 10 than ever before.

Ratings will fall in the 13-15 million range. Idol will only last for 1 more year and will go off the air in season 11 due to it not being the same without Simon.

We will see a WGWG named Ty in the top 12 and due to the Kristy Lee Cook trend people will be afraid that he's going to win.

I predict the TCO to be play piano and be an current pop female artist like Natasha Bedingfield and TCRU to be a rocker chick similar to Allison in season 8.

Big Machine

Big Machine

Video Archivist

Posted May 28, 2010 @ 6:23 PM

I predict that unless there is a very concerted effort to address concerns of viewers (and they are widely held concerns) and fans, they are really in for a bag of hurt. They will not do this. Some people will watch, but not nearly as many as this season.

X Factor will tack right at the middle of the ratings, but just below Idol's average.

jacecks

jacecks

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2010 @ 11:20 AM

I expect a return to older style idol, with more belters and less guitar players.

EolivetB

EolivetB

Couch Potato

Posted May 30, 2010 @ 8:45 AM

13-15 million viewers won't get the show cancelled...most networks would kill for that. It'd be disappointing for Fox, sure -- but it would still be one of their highest-rated series.

I am predicting a huge overhaul of the judges. Does Kara have a contract? If not, I'd expect her to be gone. The four-judge panel has not seemed to work the last two years (and I would bet anything people who took the survey said the same thing). Without Simon there, who cares how much time the judges have to talk?

If Ellen is the only one with a contract, I might even see them parting ways with Randy. Completely overhauling the Idol judges -- as they found this year, only replacing one took a long time to gel, and messed with the chemistry of the panel. Replacing 2-3? They all have a similar learning curve (and Ellen doesn't look quite so out-of-place).

Not sure whether this is speculation or wishful thinking...

fireflii

fireflii

Couch Potato

Posted May 31, 2010 @ 8:43 AM

I predict a judges overhaul, and that Ellen will get the boot. There must be a kill-clause in her contract, they'll pay her off to be done. Then I think they will go for high profile guest judges to fill the third chair.

I also think they will cast more diverse singers and focus on quality singing instead of backstory *dreams*.

Hopefully they will clear more current songs. People are sick of the same tired themes.

realitycynic

realitycynic

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 31, 2010 @ 11:52 AM

I also think they will cast more diverse singers and focus on quality singing instead of backstory *dreams*.

I would love to see them make this change. I especially dislike the edited backstories that make it appear that some people have no background at all in the music biz.

Based on the comments on the survey they had more people seem to want Kara gone than Ellen.

New themes would be an improvement. Time to part with some cash for music rights.

chesslover

chesslover

Couch Potato

Posted May 31, 2010 @ 12:28 PM

I'm going to predict that Ellen is going to actually study music and give logical critiques. Okay that's more a wish than a prediction. But there you have it.

l2stevejovi

l2stevejovi

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 3:47 PM

Well, if you are a person of color and female, you might want to try your luck elsewhere because not only will you not win (or come even close) but everything you do will be deemed as "diva" or "R&B" by both the judges and audience alike. God help you if you have any meat on your bones, too (see: Mike Lynche), because people will outdo themselves in coming up with clever names for "fat".

spinMove

spinMove

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 3, 2010 @ 10:14 PM

Well, call me super cheesy, but I have really enjoyed this show and want to like it again. So I am optimistic they will make some drastic changes. That they did the survey tells me they may be interested in an overhaul of sorts.

Kara has to go, she just has to. Bitch ruins and will continue to ruin the show for me. She simply is not right for this show. She needs to go back behind the scenes and I never want to see her face or hear her again. Okay, seriously, if they do that one thing I will be so happeeeeeeeeeeee!

Honestly, past that, I don't care. LOL.

But for fun, okay....

The word *artistry* shall be banned.
The phrase "you made it your own" will also be banned.
Three judges ONLY. Randy will remain, Kara and Ellen replaced.
More interviews with contestants about relevant things such as how the song was selected, the collaboration on how the song is arranged. Clips of practices, learning the songs, are shown.
All contestants live together in the mansion. This makes for a more interesting, cohesive, stronger group. Which makes better TV.

mshepnj

mshepnj

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2010 @ 9:00 AM

Based on the comments on the survey they had more people seem to want Kara gone than Ellen.

I agree but apparently when the executives at Fox were asked at a press conference about the survey, they knew nothing about it. One of show producers who did know about it just said they had nothing to do with posting the survey. It sounds like the survey was about giving the appearance that they give a shit about public opinion, but I wouldn't expect them to do anything about it.

So far the only change that's been announced is that they will be lowering the audition age to 15. Ugh.

My predictions/snark:

The pre-season publicity will say this is a boys' year and that they are looking for the next Bieber. They will cast young teenage males (maybe not even changed voices) with "Bieber hair", plus some not-conventionally-attractive older males and females and a pretty/sexy "pop princess" or two. All of the Bieberesque teenage boys, save one or two, will be gone before the finals and none that remain will win.

They will invest in more "radio friendly" music mainly done by other 19 artists written by Kara DioGuardi and other "stable" songwriters. They will have at least one theme week that will put their favored Bieber-boy in the best possible light... maybe the Teen Idol theme that was abruptly changed this season.

They will continue to choose mentors that they think will appeal to the younger demographic, whether they have the kind of experience that warrants that gig or not. Taylor Swift or Rascal Flatts will mentor country week.

The will abandon the iTunes song lists because they weren't that successful and got a lot of negative press when it was seen how crappy the song lists the contestants have to choose from really are.

They will try to find a youth-appealing judge to replace Simon but will fail and will pick someone outrageous or controversial instead. Maybe it will be Bret Michaels (who would be awesome) but I wouldn't count on it. Kara, Ellen and Randy will be back and will be exactly the same as they were this season. Jamie Foxx will be the new band leader.

Known already: The elimination shows will be shorter. That means, only one special! guest! performer instead of two or more. The special guests will be more former Idols (a good thing, in my opinion) but the eliminated contestant will still be cut-off during the sing out.

The audience will continue to shrink as more older folks lose interest and not as many of the tweens/teens that the PTB covet tune in to replace them.

jassmine12

jassmine12

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 4:19 AM

Yeah its right that American Idol's popularity has been effected without Simon but still this is my favorite..

Phan

Phan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2011 @ 1:23 PM

So, with the TOp 24s performances over and done with, I'll make some predictions for the rest of the season:

Predicted Top 10 through votes:

Men: Casey, Jacob, James, Scotty, Paul
Women: Lauren A., Thia, Naima, Karen, Pia

Wildcards:
Lauren T, Brett. Add Stefano if it's 13. If any of the above don't get through on votes, sub them in as Wildcards. Sans Paul, I'm not sure Nigel would let a WGWG happen if he doesn't get through on votes.

Lauren Alaina is hitting the seal (Bottom 3) at least once before Top 8.

Casey will not hit the seal ever before getting booted.

First three weeks a front runner will show themselves to not be such a prime choice and the judges will turn. I can't decide between Scotty or Jacob. But it will be a man.

Paul will be a shock boot. Not sure when.

Rachel might be a shock entrant into the Wildcard round. She may get picked, I'm not sure they're done with her yet, but I think she's the VFTW Tatiana villain and Nigel will let them play with her(which sucks cause I like her).

cfarluch

cfarluch

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 6, 2011 @ 1:28 AM

If fans don't get complacent, the F5 will be Paul, Casey,
Scotty, Pia, & Laura. If Pia and Laura shine, we might have our first female 2 since 2004. I think its time for a female winner. I'm sick of a guy who plays guitar/instrument winners.

AddictedToMars

AddictedToMars

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 7, 2011 @ 2:09 PM

If fans don't get complacent, the F5 will be Paul, Casey,
Scotty, Pia, & Laura. If Pia and Laura shine, we might have our first female 2 since 2004. I think its time for a female winner. I'm sick of a guy who plays guitar/instrument winners.

I can see this happening right now but I don't think we will have an all female final 2 this year. I have a feeling one of the guys will sneak in with a girl for the final 2. I also think the girls will be dropping like flies the next few weeks (ex: Ashton, Karen, Naima, Haley). So I guess I'm predicting final 2 of Lauren with Paul, Casey or Scotty (Lauren wins, one of these guys will probably take the runner up spot). But I was so sure of a female winner, these past weeks of watching the show I wouldn't be surprise if we have another male winner AGAIN.

Edited by AddictedToMars, Mar 7, 2011 @ 2:11 PM.

Double Down

Double Down

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 9, 2011 @ 6:11 AM

If there is a female winner, it will probably be Pia (not my personal fave) - though she needs to spice her act up a little. The other girls are either too boring, carry too much baggage, not popular enough, not cute enough or too hootchie-fied. They know who they are.

If TPTB truly wanted a female winner this year they should have done their due diligence and vetted the contestants a whole lot better than they did. Not saying there are no good female contestants, but based on what usually scores with voters, they missed the mark with this field of ponies.

Edited by Double Down, Mar 9, 2011 @ 6:15 AM.

Occasional Hope

Occasional Hope

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2011 @ 4:59 PM

Long term prediction: Scotty wins.

Short term: Ashthon goes home this week. Haley and Shock!Paul in B3 with her.

Double Down

Double Down

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2011 @ 6:08 AM

They will eliminate one more girl again next week (ex: Haley, Lauren). After that they wll start alternating boy/girl eliminations just to make things look fair.

Lauren will survive just long enough to make the tour.

Thia will be eliminated by midseason, but will anyone notice?

Paul will make the tour, but may accept an offer to tour with a Riverdance company instead.

Jacob and Naima will both make the tour, but will be eliminated around midseason.

Scotty is the big commercial prize this season, but they may have to shock boot him before his vocal limitations are completely exposed.

Durbin and Pia may be final 2 (though I don't care for either one). With Durbin winning. Pia could win, but TPTB may have more trouble marketing her. Casey could be in the mix if he is healthy enough to continue.

Toad Persever

Toad Persever

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 12, 2011 @ 12:14 PM

This is so risky...I miss those extra 2 performances we would have with the normal top 24 format. However, based on pure instinct, the fact that Scotty seems to be the favorite to win means he won't. Winners have growth arcs (I'm ignoring last year, since Lee's growth arc was created by the producers rather than his own efforts, IMO), which means the likely winner will be James Durbin.

The next 2 weeks will tell the tale. Given James' issues, a lot could go wrong.

Also, to be honest, 2 weeks ago I was pretty sure TCO was Thia, heh.

Hopeful shock boot, I'll say at top 8: Old McDonald.

yourpointis

yourpointis

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2011 @ 3:06 PM

The top three will probably be James, Pia, and Scotty. Pia will be in the top two with either of the guys and most likely the winner. Somehow by the finale she will have to show some type of personality to win the votes from the fans of the eliminated contestants. (She sings well and is an attractive girl but she bores me to tears whether she sings ballads or uptempo numbers.)

Scotty will have to go out third so that all his media coverage will be eclipsed by the finale. Pia may have a better chance of defeating James in the finale rather than Scotty. The only other scenario I see happening is if Casey is able to stay healthy and manages to surpass James/Scotty in popularity (I seriously doubt it). Season 3 is probably the last and only season there will ever be two girls in the finale.

Edited by yourpointis, Mar 12, 2011 @ 3:08 PM.

miniglik

miniglik

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2011 @ 3:26 PM

I think Paul will end up in the final, propelled by his looks and mellow-hipsters personality, after he picks songs that are better for his voice and stops dancing around like the proverbial drunken uncle. I don't think he'll deserve it, but I still think it'llhappen.

GucciClad

GucciClad

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 13, 2011 @ 8:22 PM

Scotty is the big commercial prize this season, but they may have to shock boot him before his vocal limitations are completely exposed.

If by "vocal limitations" you mean he doesn't scream at me each week, then I consider that a positive rather than a negative and is a big part of why he's so much more popular than most (if not all) of the other contestants.

The screeching diva screamers may get all of the praise, but it's Scotty who will have the last laugh.

moww

moww

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 13, 2011 @ 8:44 PM

Agreed, if Paul and Scotty are in the finale, and they may very well make it, it will be a fresh change.

Anyone notice that so many guys have physical limitations this season? Casey's health issues can really hinder him. James with his social disorders which prevents him connecting with a big part of audience. Paul with his vocal cord problems. Even Jacob with his strange diva eyes, ok this one doesn't count but it really look weird.

miniglik

miniglik

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2011 @ 10:44 PM

If by "vocal limitations" you mean he doesn't scream at me each week, then I consider that a positive rather than a negative and is a big part of why he's so much more popular than most (if not all) of the other contestants

I like Scotty, but I don't think "not screaming" is why he's so popular, given the audience tone every time they seem him. I'd guess his popularity is much more about being the most accessible to young girls. Doesn't mean I don't think he's talented, I do. But the tween vote will get you far.

I wouldn't be at all suprised or unhappy with a Paul vs. Scotty final, even though I think Paul is one of the worst singers left. It is a popularity contest, after all.

Edited by miniglik, Mar 13, 2011 @ 10:45 PM.

Toad Persever

Toad Persever

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 14, 2011 @ 5:52 AM

The screeching diva screamers may get all of the praise, but it's Scotty who will have the last laugh.

Agreed, if Paul and Scotty are in the finale, and they may very well make it, it will be a fresh change.

A fresh change from the non-screeching non-diva non-screamers who came in first and second last year, you mean?

TabbyMom

TabbyMom

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 14, 2011 @ 6:15 AM

A fresh change from the non-screeching non-diva non-screamers who came in first and second last year, you mean?

Along with the non-screeching non-diva non-screamer who won Season 8. Not to mention the winner and runner-up from Season 7.

How much further do we need to go?

Edited by TabbyMom, Mar 14, 2011 @ 8:00 PM.