1-21: "Future Shock" 2010.05.27 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

152 replies to this topic

TWoP Roxy

TWoP Roxy

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2010 @ 11:11 AM

From zap2it.com:

April 29, 2010, arrives as everyone waits to see if the flash-forward predictions take place; Mark uncovers the date of the next blackout; Simon and Demetri break into the NLAP mainframe.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted May 27, 2010 @ 8:03 PM

Ah, what might have been.
So, it looks like the second blackout was disparate, differing points in time depending on the individual. Charlie's looked a good decade down the road.
I liked how, for the most part the Flash Forwards came true with little differences, like Janis' kid being a boy.

You had potential show, but you wasted it.

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2010 @ 8:04 PM

So sad it was canceled. That was a great season finale but a terrible series finale. I thought I read somewhere that there were alternate endings in case it was canceled, but I guess not.

NTLurker

NTLurker

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2010 @ 8:08 PM

This was a good season's finale but a pretty crappy series finale. I thought it was going to be 2 hours long.

This show had so much potential but failed. Glad to see that Demitri didn't die after all. And judging from Charlie's flash forward, I'm going to assume that Mark went missing after the building blew up.

hanzz

hanzz

Couch Potato

• Interests:TAR, Lost, The office, Heroes

Well, so long FlashForward. You literally had me at the edge of my seat that entire episode. What a shame you had me bored to tears for most of your fall season.

There certainly was something epic about that second blackout, although I missed seeing people fall like rag dolls. I would love to mull over all the images we saw in that last montage ("Execute Order" and a wedding date in particular stick out to me), but since it won't make any difference, ah, well. Perhaps the ratings for this episode might be good enough for a midseason replacement? If only to at least end on a good note. V, here I come.

Bussy

Bussy

Fanatic

I feel so let down and like such a chump for having cared all year about the Bryce/Nicole/Keiko plot. What a complete and utter douchebag! He is not nearly good enough for Keiko. The only good thing about that storyline ended up being the drowning thing, because at least SOMEONE gave a shit about Nicole’s life. However, that storyline was supposed to be about reality vs. a dream. I don’t want Nicole to fall for her rescuer, because he strikes me as another Bryce---falling in love with his FF girl. I’m so furious.

Mark continues to be the most hilarious runner. I wish they hadn’t done that slo-mo thing for so long. And how dare they leave us on a cliffhanger with his life? Also, Olivia and Lloyd’s constant about faces were awful. At least John Cho and Dom were amazing; they made the show this week. The blackout sequence was really beautiful, though.

Edited by Bussy, May 27, 2010 @ 8:09 PM.

Demian

Demian

Stalker

Posted May 27, 2010 @ 8:12 PM

"Execute Order"

Was there an "execute order" in addition to the "executor" (as in a will)?

Oh, whatever. Why am I even asking? Like we're ever going to find out.

BooBear

BooBear

Couch Potato

Posted May 27, 2010 @ 8:13 PM

I have been a Bryce and Nicole shipper since the fall, um, what was that? Bryce seemed like kind of a super jerk. I wrote it off last week to shock at knowing that Kieko was in LA but um... let Nicole down easy will ya? And he didn't seem concerned at all, from a human to human standpoint that Nicole might actually drown. Good friendship there -- what a guy.

And did I see Tracy come back to life? huh? What?

On the main plot, it is a shame that the show got canceled because I am actually now interested in that plot line. I would have liked to seen where it went and it could have been great to give Mark Benford a rest because I have always thought he was the worst character on the show. So have him in the show, but not really.

sunburyrs

sunburyrs

Channel Surfer

Posted May 27, 2010 @ 8:14 PM

I'm horrible at recognizing characters. Who was pushing Janis in the wheelchair during the blackout? Were were supposed to have recognized her?

hanzz

hanzz

Couch Potato

• Interests:TAR, Lost, The office, Heroes

Posted May 27, 2010 @ 8:15 PM

Was there an "execute order" in addition to the "executor" (as in a will)?

Oh, that's probably what I saw. Oh well, tomato, tomatoes.

TheRabbi

TheRabbi

Fanatic

• Interests:Currently watching:<br /><br />The Amazing Race - not quite what it once was, but still an addict<br />Chuck - ditto<br />Dexter- great stuff<br />30 Rock - season 5 is the funniest its ever been! Probably my favorite show currently airing<br />The Office - nowhere near where it once was, but still alright<br />Modern Family - good stuff!<br /><br />New shows this year I'm still watching (have dumped a few):<br /><br />Walking Dead - great stuff!<br />No Ordinary Family - mediocre<br />The Event - Reading the recaps and board comments is immensely more entertaining than the show, so I watch!<br />Raising Hope - awesome!<br />Running Wilde - good! (will they ever burn off the remaining eps?)<br />The Cape - started out awesome, starting to fizzle<br /><br />RIP:<br /><br />Pushing Daisies - possibly the greatest show of all time<br />Lost - lackluster resolution to most mysteries, but still a monumental show<br />24 - downward spiral the last couple years, but once again, still a monumental show

Posted May 27, 2010 @ 8:17 PM

Everything felt a bit too contrived to fall into place so perfectly (especially Mark getting back in the office by himself), but overall it was a good finale. I can't really say I'll miss the show next season, but I'm not thrilled it wont be back either. This show got so bad in the fall, that the recovery for the spring season was too little, too late.

Overall, it was good. I had some fun with this show, especially the episode that took place on March 15 (the Demetri in danger episode). I would like to see some interviews with the showrunners to see what the master plan was for the show.

marko52

marko52

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:Lawyer, reader of books, smoker of cigarettes, drinker of scotch, and teller of tales. Liberal, but a damn good shot with a .45.

Posted May 27, 2010 @ 8:22 PM

That sucked enough to lower worldwide atmospheric pressure.

Clearly, the producers knew they were at risk of cancellation by the mid-season break. That being the case, shooting a cliff-hanger season finale with regard to the main protagonist is unconscionable.

It was interesting that the general outlines of most flashforwards were correct, but almost all the details were wrong:

Unless I'm way off base here, Mark wasn't drunk at zero hour.

My relief that Lloyd and Olivia didn't wind up in the sack was greatly attenuated by Olivia losing no opportunity to suck face with Lloyd while potentially millions of lives were at risk unless Lloyd could solve the equation. And no, telling Mark to "be safe" on the phone did not make up for her infidelity (with two kids downstairs).

Glad to see Dem make it through alive. Here's hoping Zoey was on an airborne aircraft when FF2 hit.

I'm sure Season 2 could have made something of Janis' pregnancy being a boy instead of a girl; but I can't for the life of me think what it could be.

Farewell, show. You let me down by letting a great premise get fouled up by poor execution, and then let me down again with your final episode. Whatever good will I had for you was fried by 8:58:30 CDT tonight.

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2010 @ 8:23 PM

This was a good season's finale but a pretty crappy series finale. I thought it was going to be 2 hours long.

I could also swear that I saw a promo for a two-hour finale.

Well, too bad the show wasn't that good along.

I wonder if Janis would have still named the baby Willa.

mezz98

mezz98

Posted May 27, 2010 @ 8:24 PM

You had potential show, but you wasted it.

THIS! if they'd paced it better and dropped some of the dead weight (*cough*Aaron & Tracy*cough*), it could have been really good. That said, it still may not have gotten the ratings.

This was a good season finale and set up for season 2. Too bad we'll never see it.

That whole Lloyd/Olivia convo before they kissed her bedroom? FAIL. Lazy writers.

Well, at least with this show, I got a full season, which is more than ABC gave me with The Nine. Yes, still bitter about that.

Edited by mezz98, May 27, 2010 @ 8:26 PM.

marko52

marko52

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:Lawyer, reader of books, smoker of cigarettes, drinker of scotch, and teller of tales. Liberal, but a damn good shot with a .45.

Posted May 27, 2010 @ 8:26 PM

I'm horrible at recognizing characters. Who was pushing Janis in the wheelchair during the blackout? Were were supposed to have recognized her?

It was Lita, the bad girl who took Simon to bed on Hellinger's orders last week.

Edited by marko52, May 27, 2010 @ 8:34 PM.

Dcbi

Dcbi

Video Archivist

Posted May 27, 2010 @ 8:34 PM

Those guys with machine guns shooting at Mark were lousy shots even by tv standards. There had to be five of them blasting away at him while he ran shooting a shotgun at them.

marko52

marko52

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 27, 2010 @ 8:36 PM

re: Simon's inability to stop the second FlashForward -- to quote General Berringer from WarGames, "why didn't they just unplug the goddam thing?"

Demian

Demian

Stalker

Posted May 27, 2010 @ 8:39 PM

Clearly, the producers knew they were at risk of cancellation by the mid-season break. That being the case, shooting a cliff-hanger season finale with regard to the main protagonist is unconscionable.

Nah. They did it with the first season of Supernatural, and that ending (a semi driven by demon comes from out of nowhere to T-bone the Impala, leaving the two main characters suspiciously dead-looking) was pretty awesome, especially when compared to its second-season finale, where they did try to hedge their bets by giving the characters a happy ending, which sucked.

That said, I'm not sure I'd call this episode awesome.

Maka

Maka

Stalker

Posted May 27, 2010 @ 8:40 PM

I actually hadn't been watching this show since it returned from the break, but I wanted to see how the show went out. And sadly, I don't feel like I missed a dang thing. Everything pretty much played out like it was shown it was going to in the very first episode! Most of this show seemed to be about finding out when the next blackout would happen, and stopping it, but then Mark goes and figures out it's going to happen in like, the next 2 minutes. Bah!

I was comforted for a hot second by the thought that we'd at least get to see our main character's new flashforwards, but then when we saw them, they were all muddy and vague and didn't show actual faces of people I recognize. Just a bunch of images that could be for anyone. Bah, again!

My relief that Lloyd and Olivia didn't wind up in the sack was greatly attenuated by Olivia losing no opportunity to suck face with Lloyd while potentially millions of lives were at risk unless Lloyd could solve the equation. And no, telling Mark to "be safe" on the phone did not make up for her infidelity (with two kids downstairs).

This is probably what ticks me off the most. I stopped watching the show partly because Olivia and Mark's angstiness was getting on my nerves - I assumed she'd eventually cave and fall for Lloyd and I'd be irritated that she was still married to Mark while he ran from gun toting bad guys and she hung out in her underwear with Lloyd. But then I tune in tonight to see her STILL trying to fight it, until the last 20 minutes or something, at which point she's suddenly all "I couldn't fight you Lloyd, we're meant to be!!" *kiss kiss*

Then she finds out her husband is supposedly dead and she's just kinda hanging out? Bah, three times.

Good riddance show. You were irritating.

Edited by Maka, May 27, 2010 @ 8:43 PM.

TidalCreek

TidalCreek

Just Tuned In

Posted May 27, 2010 @ 8:43 PM

It was Lita, the bad girl who took Simon to bed on Hellinger's orders last week.

Wait a minute ... what? Was that Janice? I recognized bad-girl-who-bedded-Simon (missed that her name was Lita), but didn't catch Janice. Wonder what's the significance there. Not that we'll find out. Damn it, show!

Also: I was kind of hoping that Mark would say to Olivia on the phone: "Hey, just so you know, I'm not drunk. Ok?"

TheRabbi

TheRabbi

Fanatic

• Interests:Currently watching:<br /><br />The Amazing Race - not quite what it once was, but still an addict<br />Chuck - ditto<br />Dexter- great stuff<br />30 Rock - season 5 is the funniest its ever been! Probably my favorite show currently airing<br />The Office - nowhere near where it once was, but still alright<br />Modern Family - good stuff!<br /><br />New shows this year I'm still watching (have dumped a few):<br /><br />Walking Dead - great stuff!<br />No Ordinary Family - mediocre<br />The Event - Reading the recaps and board comments is immensely more entertaining than the show, so I watch!<br />Raising Hope - awesome!<br />Running Wilde - good! (will they ever burn off the remaining eps?)<br />The Cape - started out awesome, starting to fizzle<br /><br />RIP:<br /><br />Pushing Daisies - possibly the greatest show of all time<br />Lost - lackluster resolution to most mysteries, but still a monumental show<br />24 - downward spiral the last couple years, but once again, still a monumental show

Posted May 27, 2010 @ 8:45 PM

Well, at least with this show, I got a full season, which is more than ABC gave me with The Nine. Yes, still bitter about that.

I'm still bitter about not getting a back 9 of Pushing Daisies season 2, because that ended on just about the biggest cliffhanger ever (and the pseudo-ending added in post production didn't really cut it).

I always find things I missed when checking out these threads, like how Mark could have told Olivia "Hey, I'm sober." lol

Shelley Bee

Shelley Bee

Couch Potato

Posted May 27, 2010 @ 8:50 PM

"I'm sorry, sir, your daughter's dead."
"Really, doctor?"
"Oh wait, there she is. My bad."

Worst. Doctor. Ever.

Wish we'd seen how the President's flash-forward panned out.

Best part?

8:42 P.M.
78 MINUTES UNTIL 10:00 PM.

You don't say!

lilith1930

lilith1930

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2010 @ 9:00 PM

AKA the still hot Annabeth Gish.

Damn, Lloyd is a creepy stalker. Olivia should not be finding that charming. At all. Their two idiot selves deserve each other.

Still bummed it was cancelled. I think it was a great show.

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2010 @ 9:01 PM

Those guys with machine guns shooting at Mark were lousy shots even by tv standards. There had to be five of them blasting away at him while he ran shooting a shotgun at them.

I was wondering how they could see to shoot at all with those silly masks on. Did they wear them just to make sure the scene matched their flashforwards? Because, like, who was going to recognize them?

susanstarflower

susanstarflower

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 27, 2010 @ 9:13 PM

I couldn't figure out why they were wasting all that ammunition and making all that noise if they were trying to find someone who was hiding --- loud noise, debris flying around -- kind of counterproductive to just blow-shit-up

Olivia/Lloyd kissy face when they both know Mark is dying/about to die/dead -- wtf wtf wtf -- and the daughter is losing her dad ... If I were Lloyd I might find that a GIGANTIC turn off.

And -- his formula -- huh? where did that lead except for Lloyd to call Mark.

I damn near turned it off when whaz-her-name came back to life.

So I guess we're s'pose to think Mark comes back ... from being whereabouts unknown.

And so what happened to Dem and Dom? The two genuinely interesting characters? Not.a.clue.

Oh, and Mark's a marksman -- lol.

pacejunkie

pacejunkie

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2010 @ 9:38 PM

That was awful. What a tortuous hour. I saw on EW that they were calling this the finale part two so I guess the "two hour finale" was actually shown over last week and this week. Whatever.

the memorexe

the memorexe

Channel Surfer

Posted May 27, 2010 @ 9:38 PM

Someone mentioned Mark's hilarious slow mo running? Seriously, my policy is to respect the efforts of actors, I think Joseph Fiennes pulled his weight in the last few episodes, but the running in slow motion just killed it for me. Overall, such potential wasted--and it's not really the fault of the writers, a show needs time to blossom. I'd have preferred this renewed over the likes of 'V'.
Good finale. And thank you.

humuhumu

humuhumu

Video Archivist

Posted May 27, 2010 @ 9:47 PM

So disappointed by Bryce's behavior. He didn't give two shits about Nicole, and I have been shipping them like crazy. I also don't want to see her fall in love with the guy who rescued her (though it's very heavily implied she will, or at least that he will). That said, Keiko's mom turned out to be kinda awesome.

I expected Dem to be wearing the ring, somehow preventing himself from seeing his future in FF1.

Overall, didn't like how deterministic the finale ended up being, after Al Gough's suicide (remember him, TPTB?). Was it even explained why Wedeck decided to go to the washroom? Was it just that he had to go, and then camped out with his pistol because it was safer?

Anyway, a montage to Band of Horses - The Funeral? Gets me every time, even if it's been on a zillion shows now. Charlie's FF was intriguing, however, and I am going to miss this show.

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted May 27, 2010 @ 9:47 PM

Wait a minute ... what? Was that Janice? I recognized bad-girl-who-bedded-Simon (missed that her name was Lita), but didn't catch Janice. Wonder what's the significance there. Not that we'll find out. Damn it, show!

I presume we're meant to think Janis is In Trouble. Since the show's not coming back, I feel quite free to imagine that Janis survives, and teaches Lita and Pet Shop Girl not to mess with her.

Did Bryce FORGET that Nicole believed her flashforward meant her death, and that she believed she deserved it? Good thing we're done, show, or I'd have to hate you for turning Bryce into a heel.

Bye, Dem; bye, Dom. You were too awesome for this show.

susanstarflower

susanstarflower

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 27, 2010 @ 9:49 PM

oh, and again I wondered why the bad guys entered the bomb-laden building to try to destroy "Mosaic" ??? when it was about to be blown up anyway??

Apparently the "bad guys" had no clue about the timing of the next FastFoward since they would have known it about to hit within say 20 minutes when they entered the bomb-laden building ...

Had they ALL seen themselves dead? Baffling.