5-24: "Doppelgangers" 2010.05.24

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

116 replies to this topic

Cindy McLennan

Cindy McLennan

Fanatic

• Interests:Covering Sherlock, Once Upon A Time, The Vampire Diaries, and The Tomorrow People for TWoP. Past shows include Lost, Supernatural, and How I Met Your Mother.

Posted May 26, 2010 @ 2:07 PM

The recap is up, now. Enjoy.

MrsMVM

MrsMVM

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 26, 2010 @ 2:29 PM

Other shows have had that (Friends for example) & I'd like to see a couple want a baby and then get pregnant very easily. The message i get from sitcoms is if you want a baby, it's a bitch to concieve but if you don't boom baby.

And the Mad About You reference...and actually, the Rules of Engagement one too------------- these are all examples of infertility mentions. I totally forgot- that's why I love forums! :)

So yes, it might be good to see the fun parts of it, minus the vomit-inducing "put a baby in me" phrasing. I think I'd cry at a Lily telling Marshall, "Baby? We're having a baby."

Eh, we'll see.

ZeroForce

ZeroForce

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2010 @ 3:49 PM

Thanks, Cindy! Speaking for myself, I've loved your recaps and hope you come back when the show does. I also hope the Show comes back too.

And I agree with your assessment - this was a nice one-off, but capped a disappointing season.

JoeSpacely

JoeSpacely

Couch Potato

Posted May 26, 2010 @ 5:48 PM

So much word. The infertility storyline was the beginning of the end for Mad About You, too. I understand that there is a lot that writers can mine from infertility plotlines (i.e. Emmy-baiting dramatic moments, the hiLARious sperm-in-a-cup scene with the seen-it-all nurse [/eyeroll], moving characters in a forward direction without actually having to deal with the plot complications of a baby), but this plotline is so DONE.

I so hope that HIMYM does not take the "trying to have a baby" approach, because it is now the stuff of cliché. I do not want an episode with Marshall rushing through NYC to get to Ovulating!Lily in 20 minutes. Nor do I want to hear about Marshall switching to boxers (or wearing the drawers with the ice pack). Hell, just have Lily knocked up in S6, Episode 1, and we can move forward to the cliché pregnancy plots (cravings and childbirth classes and sympathetic labor - oh my!).

boggartlaura

boggartlaura

Couch Potato

Posted May 26, 2010 @ 6:53 PM

I'm not being overly dramatic, but this show has turned into "Friends".

No, Friends had a good 5th season.

My ideal way to meet the mother would for her to befriend one of the others, so we can get to know her without Ted meeting her. Of course, they wrote the mother to be so unbelievably perfect that making her a real character would be difficult.

jenniphifer

jenniphifer

Channel Surfer

• Interests:tv (obviously), making and peddling my wares, indie music (but in a non pretentious, un-hipster kind of way), the color green, damask, old cars, iced tea, anything raspberry, remaining vaguely aware of pop culture without becoming immersed in it, national public radio<br /><br />i have a love/hate relationship with top model (love the show, hate tyra). <br /><br />&lt;3 arrested development, how i met your mother, the it crowd, community, project runway, 30 rock

Posted May 26, 2010 @ 8:24 PM

*Sigh* I have to agree with everything Cindy said prior to starting the recap. I'm sort of done with defending this show. The magic that was apparent during the first few seasons of the show is now gone. When it I inevitably purchase the fifth season, it won't be because it's a season I like, but because it would feel weird to own all of the other seasons and not own it.
I read somewhere that, when the show almost got canceled after it's third season, the writers were cautioned away from writing too many episodes that dealt heavily with the major story arcs and to stick to stand alone or short story arc episodes. And I really feel that since that point the show has suffered. Hate to break it to you, CBS, but the show's entire premise is built around major story arcs, and to abandon those means abandoning the loyal fan base of the show.
Also, writers, if you want us to believe that one of your characters is in a major relationship, it wouldn't hurt to actually SHOW the significant other from time to time. It was lame when you pulled it was Stella (Oh! Hey Ted's fiance who we RARELY see until right before she dumps your ass!) It was unforgivable with Don.
I'm hoping good things for next season, but it's a cautious optimism. The kind that won't let majorly let me down if next season sucks as well.

Edited by jenniphifer, May 26, 2010 @ 8:24 PM.

Colors

Colors

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 26, 2010 @ 10:31 PM

I've always been antsy about meeting the mother- the whole show is about having arc, and if it doesn't *go* anywhere, the premise falls apart.

And it was doubly annoying they made the mother so perfect in the 100th episode because they're already gone down this plotline. If we recall the pilot episode, Robin was the "perfect" woman (the scotch, the dogs, the Ghostbuster lines)- they're already done that storyline! It is indeed important, like other posters have already mentioned to have Ted grow and have less over-the-top romantic notions.

Rexaceous

Rexaceous

Channel Surfer

Posted May 27, 2010 @ 2:08 AM

From the recap:

Barney oozes pity as he looks at Marshall in the rearview mirror. "
Oh, buddy." Marshall's aghast. Barney tries to soothe his widdle feewings, but Marshall tells him, "Don't. Just don't." And you there, wondering why we saw Barney in his office when Marshall called him? Don't. Just don't.

We're only seeing the story as Ted's telling it. He would have told his kids "Marshall called Barney and here's what he said, blaggady bloo", similar to when Robin was chasing "Ted Moseby, Architect!" (Barney) while the audience was first off seeing Ted in those ridiculous conversations.

..it was nice to remember that episode.

Fusion

Fusion

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 27, 2010 @ 4:33 AM

No, Friends had a good 5th season.

Actually, Friends had a good 5th season until 5x14, then it went downward until it ended with the suckiness that was Vegas...Afterwards, the show was done...

This episode sucked. Watched it with two friends who had only seen a few of the first season episodes of HIMYM each. Both actually stared at me for liking the show (not the episode) in general. I really had to explain that this was once a funny show. These two don't even care about much of the stuff that annoys me - the lack of general direction, the f**ked up characters, etc.

They were just pissed at me for making them watch 22 minutes of Television that made them laugh (or even giggle) a whole lot of three times.

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted May 27, 2010 @ 7:10 AM

The show does get funnier many times on rewatch once my initial response of seething over this seasons plots dies down.

However, I still hate the "put a baby in me" comment that was made not once, but TWICE by Lilly.

A good twist would be to find out Lilly was already pregnaent 4 months later.

Also, does this mean the REAL Barney Doppelganger will show up at some point?

Erratic

Erratic

Stalker

Posted May 27, 2010 @ 12:11 PM

The recap is up, now. Enjoy.

Good lord! That was depressing, from the Abba theme song to the bitter end. Let's spin this, the show WILL get better. They have gotten rid of invisible DuckRabbitDon, they have rectified Barney's whoring a little bit, they are forcing Marshal and Lily to grow up a little bit, and dudes, we saw the mother's ankle! -Maybe next season the calf.

Let's all live for the calf!

Edited by Erratic, May 27, 2010 @ 12:13 PM.

jenniphifer

jenniphifer

Channel Surfer

• Interests:tv (obviously), making and peddling my wares, indie music (but in a non pretentious, un-hipster kind of way), the color green, damask, old cars, iced tea, anything raspberry, remaining vaguely aware of pop culture without becoming immersed in it, national public radio<br /><br />i have a love/hate relationship with top model (love the show, hate tyra). <br /><br />&lt;3 arrested development, how i met your mother, the it crowd, community, project runway, 30 rock

Posted May 27, 2010 @ 4:39 PM

Let's all live for the calf!

HA! I think this made more laugh more than the episode in question.
Yes, let's all live for the calf & hope for better things to come!

SeattleGuy89

SeattleGuy89

Couch Potato

Posted May 27, 2010 @ 9:16 PM

Actually, Friends had a good 5th season until 5x14, then it went downward until it ended with the suckiness that was Vegas...Afterwards, the show was done...

Both Friends and HIMYM had a good 5th season, and hopefully HIMYM can continue to bring the laughs like Friends did, I am sure it will.

I love how the finales of this show are great to watch over and over.

michellems

michellems

Couch Potato

Posted May 27, 2010 @ 9:35 PM

To tswolfe: I think your giant list of all the requirements for the mother only show how important it is that they introduce her now, before she becomes so unbelievably interesting and perfect that she is totally unrealistic when we finally meet her.

I completely agree with this. For me, the 100th episode just pushed things way over the top; in addition to the things listed, this is a woman who is quirky enough to make her omelettes sing arias and who paints robot watercolours or whatever. At this point, she is so unbelievably perfect that she can't live up to anyone's expectations anyway.

To me it just illustrates that Ted's idea of what's perfect is really peculiar. Robot watercolors? omelette opera puppetry? This is stuff that might be cool for one day, but every day?

I think it would be cool if Ted met the "mother," only to discover that all this "perfection" really, really gets on his nerves, and that really he just wants to eat his omlette with some light breakfast conversation like a normal person, not listen to an aria every time. Some of the traits she's begun to sprout are so wildly random it's hard to believe that they are anyone's fantasy material, let alone the fantasies of the highly educated and sensitive Ted.

Other shows have had that (Friends for example) & I'd like to see a couple want a baby and then get pregnant very easily. The message i get from sitcoms is if you want a baby, it's a bitch to concieve but if you don't boom baby.

Probably because that's how it seems to work in real life. People who don't want kids seem to get pregnant in spite of tons of birth control, while people who want them, and waited til they were 35-year-old homeowners to conceive, seem to have to spend their life savings on fertility treatments. Cliches come from peoples' observations of real life.

The Ericksons are young enough that they ought to be able to conceive without a lot of fuss. Maybe AH is pregnant again already?

ChimmyChai

ChimmyChai

Video Archivist

Posted May 28, 2010 @ 8:37 PM

Robin, if you are about to make the most important decision of your life and you don't want to discuss it with Don, then Don is not the most important person in your life and therefore you should drop him for your career.

I cannot imagine being truly in love with someone and not turning to him for advice. So I don't think she was truly in love with him.

ForestFire0

ForestFire0

Channel Surfer

Posted May 29, 2010 @ 8:57 PM

This episode made the list of Best and Worst Season Finales under the "Worst" category and I couldn't agree more.
http://www.televisio..._the_best_a.php
Not only did it get a Worst, but the list included categories "More Bad than Good" and vice versa in addition to the "Best" and "Worst" titles. Hopefully the people in charge of this show still care enough to pay attention to viewer response and get their act together over the summer.

SeattleGuy89

SeattleGuy89

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2010 @ 9:54 PM

I realize there are fans out there who are disapointed with the show, however I know my friends and I still think it is great and I know others fans who feel the same way. So I hope the producers stick to what they are doing because it is working.

Which I think they will as long as the ratings seems strong, that seems to indicate enough people are fine with the show it would seem.

anotherguitarchick

anotherguitarchick

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2010 @ 1:44 PM

"Cougartown" is changing its name for next season. Maybe HIMYM should consider it too. I suggest "Why Your Aunt Robin Isn't Allowed In The House."

Edited by anotherguitarchick, May 30, 2010 @ 1:44 PM.

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted May 30, 2010 @ 2:22 PM

How My Friends Spent Their 30s?

SeattleGuy89

SeattleGuy89

Couch Potato

Posted May 30, 2010 @ 4:10 PM

Why Uncle Barney is always sick (his past caught up to him)

But I think after five seasons it may be too late to change the name of the show.

Edited by SeattleGuy89, May 30, 2010 @ 4:10 PM.

ForestFire0

ForestFire0

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 12:57 AM

Why I Adopted

michellems

michellems

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 7:10 AM

How I Met your (Surrogate) Mother.

IseutLaBrune

IseutLaBrune

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 5:37 PM

How I Turned Into Bob Saget

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 6:55 PM

How I Didn't Meet Your Mother (Strikingly Irrelevant Tales From A Mostly Average Life)

Rock42

Rock42

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 9:03 PM

I think it would be cool if Ted met the "mother," only to discover that all this "perfection" really, really gets on his nerves, and that really he just wants to eat his omlette with some light breakfast conversation like a normal person, not listen to an aria every time.

"Seinfeld" already did this - sort of. They had Jerry meet his ideal woman, Jeannie Steinman (played by Jeannine Garofalo), who was basically a female version of himself, down to his cereal fetish and observational wisecracks. He proposed to her and then became miserable when he realized that his perfect woman actually wasn't - he hated himself and didn't want to be with a female version of himself.m Of course, they got him out of it in the next episode by having them mutually break up with each other.

meepster

meepster

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2010 @ 6:50 PM

HA! I think this made more laugh more than the episode in question.
Yes, let's all live for the calf & hope for better things to come!

Maybe someday, the knee!

TWoP Barnes

TWoP Barnes

Stalker

Posted Jun 7, 2010 @ 7:15 PM

NOTE: I'm right there with you, but this title-riffing isn't on topic in the episode thread. Make a half decent whimsy thread (in the Blue French Horn subforum) and it'll work.