S2 - Marcus Samuelsson: Swedish Chef

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

4 replies to this topic

Fukui San

Fukui San

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2010 @ 11:04 AM

Marcus Samuelsson. Swede by way of Ethiopia. Kind of douchey to begin with here, but that's kind of faded lately. Like the three finalists from the first season, he's been a TV chef with Inner Chef with Marcus Samuelsson which I saw once. He's also been on Iron Chef America AND Iron Chef USA (the William Shatner version) and lost in both. (Although when you go up against Bobby Flay and the theme ingredient is corn of all things, the deck is stacked against you.)

I've used his recipe for Gravlax (Swedish cured salmon) many times, though I doubt he'll do it on this show since it takes two days to cure.

If I had to guess, I'd guess he might just miss the final 3.

swimmyfish

swimmyfish

Couch Potato

Posted May 28, 2010 @ 10:22 AM

There's something very interesting about Marcus. For some reason, I feel like I shouldn't like him, but I actually kinda like him a lot. Maybe there's some memory of the douchieness Fukui San mentioned, but with every episode I see, I'm more and more surprised at how much I like him.

carmelized

carmelized

Fanatic

Posted May 29, 2010 @ 8:22 AM

There's something very interesting about Marcus. For some reason, I feel like I shouldn't like him, but I actually kinda like him a lot.

I have liked Marcus since seeing him on a few shows in recent years. However, I know what you mean about feeling like you shouldn't like him, based on a couple of things he's said on this show. Initially, I raised my eyebrows a few times at him. Now I just chalk it up to him being very competitive. I do think I would enjoy him more on this show if he would take it down just a notch, but OTOH, I do understand that many chefs at this level are likely to be highly competitive. From what I've seen of him outside the show, he's probably a cooler guy to be around in his everyday life.

Aletheia

Aletheia

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 5, 2010 @ 6:27 PM

I mentioned at the time of the qualifier where Marcus went through that I thought he got a villain edit, and I'm now convinced I was right.
I rewatched that episode, and I am now fairly sure almost all the comments were taped in the post-contest interview (when he knew he went through), and then inserted into the episode throughout to make him sound cocky, douchy and conceited.
I can't be absolutely certain, obviously, but in every episode since he has been incredibly friendly and cordial to all the chefs, and they obviously like him too. He's competitive, yes, but not in an ugly way.

FFtrini

FFtrini

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 10, 2010 @ 10:10 AM

Marcus is indeed a very cool and down to earth guy in real life. I've played soccer against him in NYC for the last few years. I am very happy for his success!

For his fans, here is a clip of my team against his team from 2 years ago. See if you spot marcus in the orange cleats.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=fPmtcIc-Yk4