2-23: "Over There: Part 2" 2010.05.20

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

306 replies to this topic

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 8:59 PM

During the second half of the second-season finale, Olivia and Walter continue their mission to the other side, as the fate of both universes and some key individuals is very much up in the air.

Oh, this show.
I knew it was Alt-Liv that went back. Now we know how next season is going to start. And I love that Peter figured what Walternate was up to on his own.
How awesome were bickering Bell & Bishop? It was like a 190-IQ Odd Couple.

2MuchTV

2MuchTV

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 9:01 PM

Poor Olivia. I really hope she gets the satisfaction of killing Walternate.

It was too obvious when Bell was knocked out that the Olivias had been switched, so I'm glad they didn't drag it out to the very end, instead making it clear by showing Bolivia in action in our world.

Never thought I was a shipper, but Olivia telling Peter he needed to return for her put a lump in my throat.

That was awesome.

Edited by 2MuchTV, May 20, 2010 @ 9:03 PM.

GreenPhoenix

GreenPhoenix

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 9:04 PM

I am so relieved and grateful that Peter's recovery wrapped up. I don't think I could last a summer with that being a loose end.

I feel so, so sorry for AltLiz again, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Peter crossed over again to help get Olivia back. Speaking of which, I thought it was obvious that it was Bolivia crossing over from the get go, but it's still a great turn of events.

svimouse

svimouse

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 9:05 PM

I knew it was Alt-Liv that went back.

Yeah, I think they telegraphed that pretty deliberately with the Bell knock out. But Alt-Liv seemed very shape-shiftery. How did they get all the plans in place so quickly? I thought they pulled the swap on the fly.

Now, how long before someone (I assume Peter because I already anticipate wacky romantic hijinks with Alt-Liv-who-thinks-they-are-an-established-couple) figures it out?

Very. John Noble is rocking it as both nice and nasty.

Edited by svimouse, May 20, 2010 @ 9:06 PM.

Ulkis

Ulkis

Stalker

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 9:06 PM

That was a great episode. My one complaint, which more of a comment than a complaint, is that in interviews they all said it was a major cliffhanger and not so much. It was a good cliffhanger, don't get me wrong, but it was obvious. (And shouldn't Peter and Walter, especially Peter, know that it's not Olivia. She just declared that she loves you basically and has gotten you back after not knowing if she was ever going to see you again. She isn't gonna leave his side.)

And Peter. Again, the chick you dig just admitted she likes you back. Put BOTH arms around her man!

Poor altLiz! Either she thinks Peter has been kidnapped again or has left her voluntarily. Brutal.

hollyhox

hollyhox

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 9:06 PM

I found it really strange that Peter didnít suspect anything wrong. He didnít question Walternateís intentions. Thatís not like him.

I also couldnít believe no one questioned whether it was Olivia or Bolivia before they jumped back to this universe. Walter questioned her in the hospital. Well, we can count on them crossing over again next season! Unless, of course, Olivia can figure out how to do it on her own.

Overall, I thought it was a pretty good finale. It wasn't as exciting as last week, but more satisfying, with Walter giving Bell a piece of his mind (figuratively, this time!)

Nightmare Logic

Nightmare Logic

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 9:07 PM

They switched Olivias. Oops. I wonder how long it will take for the local Fringe team to figure it out.

Loved loved the scene between Olivia and Peter. Sure you could stay here and be happy and rich and famous, but you need to come back and be with me. I was never much of a shipper but now.....

I liked the resolution between Bell and Walter. It had all the necessary things a final resolution should have. Plus the reveal that Walter asked William Bell to remove parts of his brain was so....Walter.

Liked the scenes between Olivia and Alt-Charlie. Very nice.

Loved the OliviaFight.

How is alt-Olivia going to exist in our world, she's going to be so disappointed. Although her sister is alive, plus niece.

Did miss seeing Astrid. Would have loved a scene between Walter and Alt-Astrid.

See you all in the fall.

Edited by Nightmare Logic, May 20, 2010 @ 9:08 PM.

tze

tze

Fanatic

Hee. Their bitching was beyond awesome.

It was too obvious when Bell was knocked out that the Olivias had been switched, so I'm glad they didn't drag it out to the very end, instead making it clear by showing Bolivia in action in our world.

Yup. So who wants to bet that Peter is the one who discovers that Olivia isn't herself? He's the only one who's had a bit of interaction with both Olivias, after all.

They went to all the trouble of showing us Lincoln Lee in the first half (and then didn't kill him), and we know that Massive Dynamics has a couple of spare Cortexiphan kids. Who wants to bet that "our" Lincoln ends up heading to the Other Side to rescue Olivia?

Poor, poor Charlie. Guy needs a hug.

Ben

Ben

Video Archivist

I had a feeling it was Altlivia who had hitched a ride back to our universe. Especially when she helped Bell up, the look on her face was definitely not like ours. (And by the way, Anna Torv is really rocking the dual roles. She turned out to be a catch.) I liked the reveal, though. The whole claustrophobia/evil Walternate thing.

Gonna have to watch again when it goes up on Hulu. There were obviously a lot of little visual details. At one point I saw an old Red Lantern comic on the wall. Now technically there are Red Lanterns in DC Comics on this side too, but it's Green Lantern who has his own series.

RIP William Bell. Leonard Nimoy brought so much to his last episode.

Fabrisse

Fabrisse

Stalker

• Interests:Heroes, Stargate SG-1, Smallville, Criminal Minds, Eureka, House, Good Eats

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 9:08 PM

Just from the way she stood, it was possible to tell the Olivias apart. Marvelous subtlety. Bets on how quickly Peter notices?

And those areas encased in amber... How horrifying it was with just that one little bus last season and now to see massive areas quarantined like that is devastating.

No more Belly. But the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

It was so nice to get Astrid back.

revbfc

revbfc

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 9:08 PM

VERY awesome. I was getting more of a Sunshine Boys vibe from the argument, but yeah, total awesomeness.

auspiciummortis

auspiciummortis

Just Tuned In

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 9:10 PM

Ditto on the Peter/Olivia thing. Never really mattered to me one way or another whether they got together but her little speech got to me. Poor Olivia :-(

Glad Peter is making an effort with Walter. I assume it'll be Peter who figures out it's Olivialt walking around.

Liked all the little bits of information such as the amber encasement, the legal decision declaring them dead, the Blight, etc. Enlightening and horrific...

lol @ KFC

Overall, a fantastic episode; A+

ETA: Great editing during the Olivia/Olivialt fight scene. And liked the mirrored conversation with Charlie about being obsolete. Nice touch.

Edited by auspiciummortis, May 20, 2010 @ 9:14 PM.

LonePirate

LonePirate

Stalker

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 9:10 PM

I don't think Walternate ever intended for Peter to use the device to destroy our universe. I think he has something else in mind, perhaps transferring his universe to ours once. I'm sure we will see a lot more of him next season.

Olivia's breakdown in the holding cell seemed uncharacteristic of her which makes me wonder if they have started some experimentation on her. I think her story in the other universe will become far more interesting than Bolivia's antics in ours.

While not as memorable as last year's finale and not as engrossing as many episodes from this past season, this finale certainly multiple stories for next season which is something last year's finale did not do. Overall, it was a terrific second season and I'm glad I have one quality drama to look forward to come September.

Lizcat12

Lizcat12

Video Archivist

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 9:11 PM

Oh. Snap.

I had a strong inkling that that was Bolivia and not Olivia when she woke up Bell. Wonder if Peter will get suspicious next season when "Olivia" seems not to returns his feeling after she basically declared her love for him.

Also, I've got to confess, my heart jumped a mile when Peter and Olivia kissed.

becks477

becks477

Video Archivist

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 9:12 PM

Yes, the Olivia switch was way too obvious, and I couldn't believe Bell, Walter, and Peter wouldn't ask her some questions to check when they know she LOOKS THE SAME NOW. But I'm still super-excited about our Olivia being Over There for plot purposes. Will disillusioned AltCharlie help her out?

Whiteotter

Whiteotter

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 9:15 PM

Oh, man. So once again, Olivia is trapped, and will quite possibly be experimented upon, by Walter's doppelganger. That's going to be absolutely horrific for her. To be honest, the switch was so telegraphed that the neck tattoo seemed superfluous.

I'm willing to bet Peter realizes right away, but don't know how they'll be able to do anything about it. Isn't Olivia the one who can open the door?

There was a nice transition from Peter looking out the window in his apartment, looking down at the grandeur of the city and still sad, to a shot of Walter, looking out the car window as they drove to a devastated Boston. Nice touch.

marie81

marie81

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 9:16 PM

Poor Olivia. Locked in a dark isolation room with only creep Walternate.

I'm betting Peter will discover the truth, and AltOlivia will realize taht Walternate lied to her.

I was kind of hoping for scenes between Walter and Walternate. Also, I wanted an Astrid/Walter scene.

Goodbye, Bell.

Has anyone been able to view the extended bonus scene? It won't load for me.

Edited by marie81, May 20, 2010 @ 9:18 PM.

2MuchTV

2MuchTV

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 9:17 PM

Now, how long before someone (I assume Peter because I already anticipate wacky romantic hijinks with Alt-Liv-who-thinks-they-are-an-established-couple) figures it out?

I'm hoping not too long--after all, the writers didn't drag out the fake Charlie reveal too long (3 eps?)--but I have a bad feeling it'll be until November sweeps <g>.

Haju

Haju

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 9:18 PM

I don't think Walternate ever intended for Peter to use the device to destroy our universe. I think he has something else in mind, perhaps transferring his universe to ours once. I'm sure we will see a lot more of him next season.

I got the same sort of feeling - it was too neatly detected, and Walternate's got all his brain working for him. I kind of hope that the bits Walter had Belly take out end up being his advantage in the inevitable showdown.

captain sam

captain sam

Fanatic

• Interests:30 Rock, Alias, Battlestar Galactica, Bones, Blade: The Series, The Cosby Show, CSI, Eureka, Firefly, Friday Night Lights, Grey's Anatomy, Heroes, The Inside, Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, Ugly Betty, Veronica Mars, Wonderfalls, Xena

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 9:18 PM

The look AltBroyles and Altlivia exchanged just before the detonation was chilling. I guess that was Walternate telling them to blow up the response team in order to cover the switch in Olivias, in which case, they are all fucking cold as ice.

Poor Olivia. If she was buttoned down and stoic before, I can only imagine what an extended stay in a completely dark sensory deprivation cell is going to do to her. Maybe she'll come back a little unhinged? I think I might like unhinged Olivia.

the fresh maker

the fresh maker

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 9:20 PM

Oh, well played, show! The beginning of next season is going to be fun.

I was afraid Walternate was just going to be moustache-twirlingly evil. I don't think he's meant to come across that way, especially after his speech to Bolivia about "them" being monsters and doing and saying anything to get what they wanted. From Walternate's perspective, he pretty accurately described what Walter did to deceive Alt-Elizabeth. Does he believe that the other side is so monstrous that the alternate universe needs to be destroyed? A wee bit of overkill, that, Walternate.

I like that Bolivia is a grey character and the moment she had with Olivia, especially as she discovered that on the other side, her sister is still alive. I don't think her "infiltration" is going to be as she might imagine. Discovering what happened to "her" mother, learning about Olivia's life, and making connections with her "sister" and "niece" is bound to keep her from being objective. I would not be surprised that at some point, she learns to distrust Walternate and sides with our Fringe team. The only thing I wasn't crazy about was her picking up the Idiot Ball and looking away from Olivia, giving Olivia the opportunity to attack her.

As for our Olivia, I shudder to think of the experiments she's going to have to endure. I think Walternate is going to learn a lot about this side's Fringe science through her.

People who are "neither dead nor gone" is an absolutely horrific sight. I couldn't imagine living in a place like this where I'm reminded that the universe is unstable and can give way by people suspended in amber. On the other hand, I can understand the quarantines (not that I agree with them), especially when worm holes and uncontainable blights and diseases can't be contained.

They sure do like red over there, hunh? Red Lantern. Red Arrow. Batman's red insignia. The red stripes on the nurses' uniforms. Belly's Twizzler. Bolivia's color of choice (the red twist tie, and her hair color).

Peter will forgive Walter, although it's going to take time.

Is Belly gone? My vote is "no." I'm glad that he's turned out to be a grey character who's done whatever he can to keep peace between both sides, relatively speaking.

Walter cracked me up when he declared that he discovered the 11th of the secret herbs and spices in 1983!

What does "A demon's trust rusts" in the Alt-Harvard Lab mean?

Was it just me, but shouldn't Olivia have known who "Walternate" was when Belly mentioned him? I thought Walter used it during "Peter."

ottoDbusdriver

ottoDbusdriver

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 9:21 PM

I'm really curious about the machine -- Walternate said it was really old and they had trouble fixing it and getting it to work. Where did it come from -- the Observers ?

If it's so old, how was it tuned to Peter's DNA ? Seems pretty singular -- there must be more than one person that should be able to power it.

I saw an old Red Lantern comic on the wall. Now technically there are Red Lanterns in DC Comics on this side too, but it's Green Lantern who has his own series.

That comic on the wall had both Red Lantern -- AND -- Red Arrow (vs. our Universe of Green Lantern and Green Arrow). Can't wait to see more of the episode again to see all the subtle differences.

The amber quarantine to seal the fissures between universes was pretty cool -- so that's what would have happened in Part 1 if the quarantine had been allowed to proceed in the Opera House.

GreenPhoenix

GreenPhoenix

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 9:23 PM

I don't blame the guys for not asking Bolivia for confirmation of identity. They couldn't have known for sure that Bolivia was going to be there. Plus, Walter and Peter might not have suspected anything because they knew that Bell and Olivia were together and Bell was not suspicious.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 9:23 PM

I have to admit I haven't watched an episode of Fringe since the series second episode. But I wanted to check back in since this was Leonard Nimoy's last performance and I was disappointed. It was excellent. I really have to catch up on this show.

Nice swan song for Nimoy. Loved the one exchange...

"You've gotten older."

"It appears we both have."

Good action and a nice set-up for next season. As for Olivia...

"She's a faaaake!"

GreenPhoenix

GreenPhoenix

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 9:24 PM

Double post.

Edited by GreenPhoenix, May 20, 2010 @ 9:24 PM.

Limber

Limber

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 9:24 PM

So who wants to bet that Peter is the one who discovers that Olivia isn't herself? He's the only one who's had a bit of interaction with both Olivias, after all.

I'm betting that it's NOT Peter -- he'll be very confused about her behaviour, but also sort of want to dial back because he's never actually been in a relationship with her. Hell, she never used to kiss him, either. So he'll be hesitant, but not actually make the call.

I'm betting it's Ella who connects the dots. Olivia is very, very close to her niece, and Altivia not only hasn't been around a little girl, but hasn't even had her sister around. Our Olivia is softer generally than the other sharper, bouncier Altivia. So I'm guessing that Ella will start shying away, or make a comment about how Olivia's been different since she handed over the necklace. And given Ella hasn't got a clue about the Altverse, her instinct will be the flag everyone needs to act.

Anna Torv did a fabulous job with the difference between Olivias (with an assist from Peter's description of haunted apology, which was crazy-accurate). The instant she helped Bell up and had a lingering smile on her face, it was obvious -- a smile we only see when Olivia's actually tickled, but Altivia's was more... I don't know, sly excitement? Some people smile when they're getting away with something sneaky. Olivia doesn't; Altivia does.

Edited by Limber, May 20, 2010 @ 9:31 PM.

tze

tze

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 9:26 PM

Poor Olivia. If she was buttoned down and stoic before, I can only imagine what an extended stay in a completely dark sensory deprivation cell is going to do to her. Maybe she'll come back a little unhinged? I think I might like unhinged Olivia.

Maybe she and Walter can bond over it?

Wow, Peter is going to be royally POd at Walternate. Lying is one thing, but kidnapping and experimenting on Liv, the woman he knows his son loves---that is just a whole new level of squick.

So who thinks Walternate is going to honor Peter's choice and let him stay on our side? Yeah, me neither. If/when Peter ends up back on the Other Side, I think he's going to find his freedom of movement just a tad restricted.

William Bell's Twizzler slayed me.

GoldfishGirl42

GoldfishGirl42

Fanatic

• Interests:Red Sox, Patriots, sci-fi, history, literature, crime shows (but not CSI:Miami)

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 9:28 PM

*Dougal-from-Father-Ted-voice* THAT'S NOT OUR OLIVIA!!!!

Oh Walternate, you magnificently evil bastard. Walternate is what Belly saw Walter turning into. It's not about Peter anymore; Peter is irreversibly contiminated, so now it's all about saving his universe, and about revenge. And obviously we're not done with the Apocalypse machine.

I think this was a tour-de-force for all three of the main cast, even if Josh didn't get to play two characters like John and Anna. Who were fantastic in all four of their guises; it's obvious (when dramatically necessary) who is who, just from their physicality.

And oh, Peter. He though returning 'home' would fix things, he though this would be the place where he could finally stop running. But it's obvious that there is no 'place' where he will ever really feel at home. So he chose people instead. That first scene in the apartment was very beautiful, with the emotion gradually clouding his voice, and cresting as he looked out the window. He should look out the window and feel peace, but he hasn't found any peace yet. And the fact that his own father would use him to kill billions of people just sealed it.

I was expecting this finale to be emotionally srs business; however, what I did not expect was them to charge forward with Peter/Olivia at the same time. *fist-pump* Neither of them has ever had a real home, but now, 'home'? Is each other. It was the real-world version of the Stevie Wonder song from "Brown Betty", and it shredded my heart into lovely little pieces. (And then, we'll start S3 two steps back; I really hope Peter doesn't consummate things with Bolivia thinking she's his Olivia. That would suck.)

Which, was also true of the one thing that rang false: Peter has that lovely reunion with his mother, and then doesn't say goodbye? I know time was short, but man, brutal. I hope they resolve that.

Charlie! Man, I miss Charlie. Maybe Alt!Charlie will defect? But I adored the reactions shots from JJ and Anna when they both saw him. They missed Charlie too. And then poor Olivia has to clock him upside the head with a vase.

What is it with Leonard Nimoy characters, radiation, and self-sacrifice? He's just way too good at it. But if that's his last onscreen appearance, what a way to go.

IS IT SEPTEMBER YET?

Edited by GoldfishGirl42, May 20, 2010 @ 9:36 PM.

Ulkis

Ulkis

Stalker

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 9:29 PM

I was kind of hoping for scenes between Walter and Walternate. Also, I wanted an Astrid/Walter scene.

I wanted one between altLiz and Walter as well.

Loved loved the scene between Olivia and Peter. Sure you could stay here and be happy and rich and famous, but you need to come back and be with me. I was never much of a shipper but now.....

I think Peter was a little put off by the idea of being famous.

Just from the way she stood, it was possible to tell the Olivias apart. Marvelous subtlety. Bets on how quickly Peter notices?

I'll be irritated if it's more than one episode, because seriously, Peter should be able to tell.

Walternate's face was cold at the end, and I wonder if it's cause he lost Peter again. I wonder if Peter leaving again was part of the plan or it didn't matter.

ec2

ec2

Channel Surfer

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 9:31 PM

This episode should be rated triple F. Feh-nominal Fringe Finale!

I knew it was AltLiva who crossed over. It was obvious, but I still loved that they wrote that into the storyline. A solid cliffhanger. Our Oliva alone and under the thumb of Walternate. I fear for her. Will he try to leverage her power/ability in place of Peter's?

So did William Bell die holding the portal open? To me he needs to remain a major character on the show.Our Fringe Division will need him if they plan to stop plots over here and over there.

I'm so glad this show has established itself, especially with my other two favorite shows ending Sunday and Monday respectively. John Noble really delivers a memorable performance each week and the overall arc really keep me watching.

See you in the fall.

Edited by ec2, May 20, 2010 @ 9:33 PM.