Nikita (2010): 9021007

• Please log in to reply

8032 replies to this topic

Angela627

Angela627

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 12:53 PM

I adore Ryan, and he sure is pretty, but I'm not sure how he would be useful as a series regular. I'd have preferred Owen over Ryan as a regular as well.

binturite

binturite

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 3:16 PM

I doubt that Ryan/NB possibly being added to the cast as a regular has anything to do with Owen/DS not returning, so for me it isn't an either or situation but what each character can bring to Nikita's Posse.

It's true that Ryan is no longer a CIA agent but at this point that isn't what makes him a valuable asset that Niki can call on. From his very first episode Ryan was introduced as someone who was too smart for his own good. Just as Birkoff is a computer geek genius, Ryan has a brilliant deductive mind that allows him to see patterns in all kinds of data and put them together in ways that help him figure out things that even very smart bad guys (like Gaines) put a great deal of effort into keeping hidden. I would also guess that he's able to blend that logical deductive thinking with a fairly accurate intuitive sense and pretty good ability to read people.

Let's not forget that he impressed Amanda enough to fake his death so that she could make use of him in her take down Oversight project. And Percy, of all people, actually admited to liking "the kid" because he had spunk. But in addition to that, IIRC, Percy also seemed both suprised and impressed with Ryan's perceptive observations about Percy, Amanda, and Division during their time together in the Hannibal Lector Hamster cage.

In a nutshell, Ryan brings a special skill set to the team that is not already covered, at his high level of ability.

To put it another way, Niki, Michael, and Alex all have very good computer skills. But, none of them can do certain things that Birkoff could probably do. So he's a specialty asset person. Along the same lines, Sonya would be a neat backup person for them to call on if there was some task that needed two supergeeks to perform it. So, she'd be a nice reserve member of the team working within Division.

By the same token, smart as they all are, none of them can see hidden patterns in different kinds of info./data and put them together to figure out what the bad guys are up to in the way or speed that Ryan probably can. And this is something that can not only help them become more aware of who the baddies might be, but could even help put them one step ahead of those baddies in any given situation.

But when you look at the other above average skillsets of Niki's team, Owen, popular as he is, doesn't bring anything that isn't already covered in spades.

Niki and Michael are crackshots, the best marksman from Division and the woman who's even better than him. I'm sure Owen is good with weapons but I don't recall seeing anything to indicate he's at their level.

Owen has great hand to hand fighting skills, but so do Niki, Michael, and Alex. And since Owen went off the Guardian Meds, he no longer has the extra strength, stamina, and whatever he had while he was taking them. So, at this point, as a fighter, he'd just be an extra body to bring to along for backup. Nothing wrong with that.

But Sean could serve the same purpose, since he's probably got similar basic, "can kill with bare hand" skills. And if he survives this season, he, unlike Owen, could at least have a place on the show as Alex's love dove or whatnot. And I saying that pretty objectively, since I have no interest in that particular ship.

None of this is meant to say that Owen has no place on the show. But they'd need to find a reason for him to join a team that is already composed of 4 people who have a combination of similar or higher level fighting, weaponry, or computer skills than he does.

That said, it's still suprising that Owen won't be returning. Because as I said, he is very popular and much loved by lots of Nikita fans. I even wondered if something was going on behind the scenes that caused TPTB to write him out.

I mean, I vaguely remember reading a comment either here or at another site about DS having some drug(?) and/or domestic violence problems in the past. However, I don't know if those were rumors or fact.

And in any case, if he was having problems along those lines now, I'm sure info. on it would have popped up in this thread. So yeah, at this point, it's still a bit puzzling that he won't be returning even as a recurring character.

Btw, is this new, harder to read, page format permanent or a temporary try out/glitch? Because my eyes sure do prefer the more optically-friendly one we had just yesterday.

Edited by binturite, Mar 21, 2012 @ 3:33 PM.

Makenna

Makenna

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 3:37 PM

binturite, your analysis is very thoughtful and well stated. And even though it makes sense why Ryan would make a great addition to the team I would still prefer to have Owen.
Or better yet, I would love if they could add another female member to Team Nikita. I feel as though it might be getting a little testosterone heavy at this point.

And unfortunately, the new forum format is here to stay. TWOP finally had to update their servers/software[whatever]. I guess it will take a little getting used to.

minneapple

minneapple

Stalker

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 4:11 PM

It upsets me greatly that Owen won't be back. Somehow I've become attached to just about every character in the Nikita-verse. I adored the progression of Owen's relationship with Nikita, and his reluctant allies relationship with Michael. I would have loved to have seen him in scenes with everyone else.

In a nutshell, Ryan brings a special skill set to the team that is not already covered, at his high level of ability.

I agree. His ability to analyze data and make deductions adds a new dimension to the team; he essentially can be a black box without having the actual black box. Plus the nice thing about Ryan is how the writers have really made him relevant to the show and the other characters. He started out as our fluffy little CIA agent and now he's kind of a badass. Sort of like Wesley on Buffy/Angel. I really do hope we get a season three so we can see Ryan working with Team Nikita. It'd be fun to see him match wits/brains with Birkhoff.

binturite

binturite

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 5:24 PM

And unfortunately, the new forum format is here to stay. TWOP finally had to update their servers/software[whatever]. I guess it will take a little getting used to.

Thanks for the info. on the new format Makenna. I figure I'll get used to it. Unfortunately I find that I can't get the basic reply features to work (quote, bold, italics, etc.) unless I type out the format command by hand because when I click on them the regular way nothing's happening. It's like the buttons are disabled/inactive).

It upsets me greatly that Owen won't be back. Somehow I've become attached to just about every character in the Nikita-verse.

I hope they don't let Owen's absence from Nikita-verse turn into some big-ass, danglin' loose end. Because this ain't a non-entity like Nathan we're talking about here.

Though I suppose even he could still pop up (or Roan could have a passing-thought, flashback about killing Nate after he left the apartment building the night Jaden bit it).

But yeah, they invested quite a bit of storyline screentime into building the tricky and interesting friendship between Niki and Owen, so I'd say the writers definitely owe the fans of that friendship and Owen the character a decent explanation as why they probably won't even be seeing him in a recurring role anymore.

As someone who would've been fine with both Ryan and Owen staying on recurring status, I do also hope Ryan won't be subject to resentment for being added as a regular character simply because Owen wasn't.

Now, if the show (please, please, pleeeease) and Ryan are back around for a third season, I wanna know:

-What the HELL was in that big ol' needle Amanda stuck in his neck when he was laying on that cot apparently already out cold, with one arm chained up to a ceiling pipe? Really, DA HELL? Because we're talking about frikkin' Amanda with a large needle. That can't be good.

-Why were Ryan's white onsies so dingy in those scenes with him and Percy. Really, wha...happened...to 'em?

If I know these writers, I'm thinking that the answers to both these questions, have to be important in some way.

I just think that we might need to remember that Amanda's area of expertise is manipulating people's minds. Sleeper assassins, anyone?

Not to mention that, as we saw in the episode that introduced Cassandra and Max, Division has pulled the ol' Doppelganger Switcheroo at least once.

So, I went there.

In that, I can't help but wonder if, in the physical and/or mental sense, the Ryan that was exchanged for Percy really is the same Ryan that "died" in that prison hospital bed. Or even the same Ryan that convinced Niki he was alive over the phone before Amanda offered up the trade for Percy deal.

Oh, what the heck, *prayer circle segment #3 for Ry-Ry*

nikitaspy

nikitaspy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 1:38 AM

It's very impressive analysis of yours, binturite. I'm fine with either one if it's Owen or Ryan gets promoted to a series regular, but my heart is saying "Fletch lives!" all the way. Don't know how many times I've been watching that hug scene repeatedly since last Fri. Awww it's such so heartwarming to see their reunion.

Their decision to choose Ryan could also have been to scare the beetle juice out of Michael. Nikita deserves much more love than what Michael is doing now. What's up with his reaction towards her at the parking lot when her hotness abs got cut?

Edited by nikitaspy, Mar 22, 2012 @ 2:39 AM.

fellowshipper

fellowshipper

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 3:17 AM

Forgive this ridiculously long, rambling, Birkhoff-centric post. I've been away from the forums for far too long.

Slingblade:

So Amanda can understand that. But pure platonic friendship? Nah. I think that's why she tries to put Birkhoff's feelings for Nikita in the romance/sex box - she's so bent on figuring him out, and this is the only way his devotion to Nikita makes sense to her, because friendships don't exist in her world.

This. Also, this is the second time Amanda's tried to figure out where Birkhoff's attachment to Nikita comes from, though the first interrogation was considerably less psychologically damaging. In "Kill Jill" last season, when Birkhoff is suspected of being the mole, Amanda implies that Birkhoff had feelings for Nikita when she was a recruit. To wit:

Amanda: You and Nikita were comrades when she served here. Did you ever have feelings for her?
Birkhoff: You know what? I'm getting a feeling right now like I was kidnapped and now I'm being framed for giving her intel.
Amanda: Birkhoff, I'm not holding it against you. You have an emotional connection to Nikita. It's perfectly natural. Coworkers often develop physical and emotional attractions for one another.
Birkhoff: She was a recruit. A super hot one? Yeah. But I know the rules: look, but don't touch.
Amanda: She's not a recruit anymore.
Birkhoff: And whose fault is that?

(aaand this would be the point at which Birkhoff gets smart and starts pushing Amanda's buttons, at which point she boots him from her office for super fun oral surgery.)

waving feather:

And Birkoff's reaction after shooting Carla ("I'm sorry!") is so realistic.

Ohhh, this. This just struck me as such a human thing to do, and such a great moment that's really telling about the character. I love that they keep drawing attention to the fact that Birkhoff talks a big game, but his bark's worse than his bite when it comes down to it. As long as the stakes aren't real, he's perfectly willing to make empty threats (like saying they should just kill Sean outright, or threatening to shoot Carla in the previous ep) -- but when push comes to shove he's so not the hardened badass he likes to pretend he is. He never had any intention of actually shooting Carla, and it's a nice callback to a very subtle but equally telling moment from "Free," when Percy was demonstrating the new kill chip technology. Birkhoff was all about kissing Percy's ass in theory, but when Percy told him to hit the button that would actually kill someone, he just stared at his keyboard and faltered because he couldn't do it. Things like that and being confronted with the Engineer's murder right in front of him, all of that just underscores how insolated he is in his own little world and how when he's actually forced to deal with the consequences of his actions (or the actions he enables, to be more precise), it hits him like a ton of bricks.

However. I still completely bought his Traveler moment in the previous ep the first time he threatened Carla. That...yeah. That kinda looked like someone who meant business.

FurryFury:

I have a feeling that shooting Carla is the beginning of Birkhoff's descent into a more serious role. He may become this show's Topher Brink - morally ambigious nerd at first, tragic hero by the end. By this logic, we should expect Sonya to die horribly after hooking up with him

Oh God. I've always said that Birkhoff is like Topher's surlier, angrier cousin. I really hope that's the only similarity they share, though. And though I've been primed through previous experiences (thanks Joss! And Lost!) to know better than to get attached to any fictional character because they will always die horrible, tragic deaths...*sob*

Slingblade:

Great acting by AS in the last scene when Nikita held Birkhoff, you could see all the pain in his eyes. And is it just me or does he keep getting more and more attractive?

I admit that I'm biased, being the sad little fangirl that I am and all, but...yep. Either the hair is slowly getting shorter after that disastrous hippie look from the beginning of the season, or they're styling it differently or...something, I don't know. Plus, they're going for "Hollywood ugly/nerd" so there's the grimy Cheeto-loving geek look to consider as well. Ordinarily, though? He's quite the good looking guy, who also may or may not be a time lord who, I'm convinced, will never actually look his age. Seriously, 35? Really?

Count me in with those who were v. distracted by OOC Sean in this ep. Well, okay, I was pleasantly distracted, as it felt much more like watching Dillon Casey be himself than trying to play this super serious badass. I really like DC and think he's pretty charming (his and Devon Sawa's Twitter feeds are like crack to me), but Sean's never really done much for me as a character. I actually really liked him in this ep when he seemed so delightfully chipper and feisty, to the point I seriously thought he'd been drugged or, I don't know, cloned and turned into a pod person or something.

Sad to see Hot Irish Guardian go, but Team Fuck You (as another threader brilliantly dubbed them) had to get broken up somehow before they took over the show and burned everything to the ground, I suppose. Also, was excellent (and disturbing) to get a rare glimpse of just how cold and efficient a killer Nikita really can be. That has to be one of the most gruesome deaths on the show to date.

Incidentally, I'd also just like to say that next to Nikita/Alex, Nikita/Birkhoff is without doubt my favorite relationship on the show. That moment at the end, when Birkhoff's trying to explain (both to himself and Nikita) what happened and Nikita just tearfully leans her head on his shoulder? Heart shattered into a million little pieces, thanks. Those two. This entire CAST, dear God, I can't take it. They are perfect. This entire cast is flawless. I <3 them so.

gwen615

gwen615

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 2:04 PM

Kind of late to the party, but I'm bummed about Owen. I found Owen to be the most compelling man on the show and I absolutely loved his character. I do really like Ryan too and what his character brings to the table so I'm not disappointed he's staying on the show or possibly being a regular. This is one of the only shows on TV where I like or enjoy every single character! Still though, at this point, I'd almost rather Michael go instead. I got into this show because I like Shane West, but I'm finding Michael rather stale this season. I'm hoping if the series is renewed Michael can get some more meaty stuff to do next season.

Samantha84

Samantha84

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 2:52 PM

2.17 "Arising" Criag Silverstein's preview

Spoiler

Spoiler
Cassandra or Max.

Edited by Samantha84, Mar 22, 2012 @ 6:05 PM.

Angela627

Angela627

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 4:02 PM

Spoiler

Xazeal

Xazeal

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 4:12 PM

Spoiler

FrodoBagginz

FrodoBagginz

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 4:38 PM

I think its Ari. Craig said he would not make Max an orphan

Edited by FrodoBagginz, Mar 22, 2012 @ 4:39 PM.

Samantha84

Samantha84

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 5:09 PM

maybe it's Amanda?

Remember we just had the release of (I believe) episode 20, Power, and Amanda is very much alive and kicking (literally)

fellowshipper

fellowshipper

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 5:11 PM

Again, biased fangirl here, but I really hope it's not Birkhoff, even though he seems like a good candidate. I have a habit of giving the kiss of death to my favorite TV characters, and if my experience as a fan of Lost taught my anything, it was that character growth doesn't bode well for that character's longevity. Look at how much Birkhoff's changed as a character since the pilot. What better way to "redeem" him than to send him out in a heroic blaze of glory? That said, being that he is a major character on the show, I feel like that would be saved for much closer to the finale.

My other guesses for the deadpool, more or less in order of likelihood:
Cassandra. There's a big ol' target on her forehead. I don't know that I would consider her a major or shocking death, but she's by far the most likely to bite the bullet.
Semak. I mean, he has to be taken out by the end of the season, right?
Sean. See above re: character growth = death.
Please don't be Ari. I really enjoy him and his smarmy evilness. He's just got this incredible charisma that I find fascinating.
Spoiler
I mean, can't at least one character get something kind of like a happy ending? Of course, a happy ending on this show simply means surviving, but I'll take it.

Edited by fellowshipper, Mar 22, 2012 @ 5:16 PM.

caitlin claire

caitlin claire

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 5:38 PM

In terms of guessing
Spoiler

Edited by caitlin claire, Mar 22, 2012 @ 5:38 PM.

Angela627

Angela627

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 5:47 PM

Spoiler

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 6:49 PM

I don't really know who's going to bite it, but I am kinda hoping it's a white guy. I just saw last week's ep - yeah, I'm late... I'm trying to draw out the episodes in case the show gets cancelled (it makes sense in my head) - and am kinda irritated at how Carla was killed off. I figured she was doomed, because she was Nikita's old mentor and old mentors always die, but when I compare it to how Ryan and Sean and Owen have managed to survive all this time, I'm just like, "...Dude." And I like all three of the aforementioned characters, I do. But I wish the writers would spread the wealth around a little. As others have mentioned, Sean is a bit superfluous at this point. He'd be a good candidate to die (and it pains me to admit that, because he and Alex are cute, and I like them a lot more than I liked Alex with either Thom or Nathan).

Ashe F

Ashe F

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:21 PM

I don't really know who's going to bite it, but I am kinda hoping it's a white guy.

I can see reason for Percy to be there, but Boyscout is totally useless now that Madeline is on their side and basically needs an ugly and creative death just to see if they can pull it off, and I'm not sure Birkhoff is going to make it past the episode named after his old hacker alias (though I would argue that he is at least useful unless all of Team Nikita knows how to wire coms and all of that etc, and if they do, why was Birkhoff so valuable to Division in the first place?). I think Michael will be there for endgame and they have plans for Ryan Fletcher for next season. And I'm not sure they need to kill Owen off since
Spoiler
. But the showrunners have said that they need to kill of some of the cast if only for monetary reasons, so I'm expecting several deaths.

minneapple

minneapple

Stalker

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:25 PM

My guess is Ari or Semak for the character who's going to bite it. I love Ari and would hate for him to die, but I can see it happening. Semak is one of the few characters on this show I'm indifferent to, so I don't care if he dies.

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:35 PM

(though I would argue that he is at least useful unless all of Team Nikita knows how to wire coms and all of that etc, and if they do, why was Birkhoff so valuable to Division in the first place?)

Sonia seems to be getting some more attention lately... maybe she'd end up taking Birkhoff's place?

I don't think Birkhoff is going to die, though, at least not this season. But I've been very wrong before.

If you're right in that we'll be getting several deaths, then I'll go with Sean and (echoing minneapple) Ari and/or Semak as the likeliest choices.

Samantha84

Samantha84

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 9:18 AM

2.18 Power
promo pictures

Edited by Samantha84, Mar 23, 2012 @ 9:21 AM.

Loandbehold

Loandbehold

Stalker

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 11:43 AM

Budgetary considerations aside, if we find out that Birkhoff has a separated-at-birth identical twin brother, then he's a goner. Of course, they did that same plot on the old LFN series.

I don't know if getting rid of Semak or Ari really saves them money. If that's the reason to kill off a character, I think Boyscout's head is most likely on the chopping block. But, if they want to make the biggest splash, it would have to be Alex. That is not something I would want to see, since the Nikita-Alex relationship runs so deep and helps bring this show from exciting action-adventure to a really great character study hidden underneath the spy drama.

fellowshipper

fellowshipper

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 12:11 PM

If I can make an entirely shallow remark: dang. Amanda's looking good in those promo shots. I don't know if it's the sweet coat, the slightly shorter hair, the lack of makeup by the pound as seems to afflict every woman on this show, or just the fact she's out doing something besides glaring or smiling evilly. Maybe some combination of all of that. Whatever it is, it works.

nikitaspy

nikitaspy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 12:37 PM

I don't watch the producer’s preview of "Arising" but if you all are talking about someone who is going to take a dust, I would say it’s definitely not Alex, Amanda, Ari or Birkhoff, considering the synopsis of 2x18 "Power" and its title name for 2x20, and certainly not Nikita of all people and Michael, the lucky one is to remain for Nikita’s love interest. Fletch lives is to stay so the only choices left – Percy, Roan, Semak, Katya, Sean, Madeline or Owen. It really depends on how much a big death it is. Max is not gonna be an orphan so long live Cassandra.

Edited by nikitaspy, Mar 23, 2012 @ 12:56 PM.

Angela627

Angela627

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 12:48 PM

2.18 Power
promo pictures

Spoiler

Edited by Angela627, Mar 23, 2012 @ 12:49 PM.

caitlin claire

caitlin claire

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 8:13 PM

"You threatened to knock heads?"
"More like knock glasses"
"Take it easy on them"
"I won't"

Seriously, Sean and his new snarky self needs to get mama Udinov settled and then come right back because lol. Also Belarus Barbie.

I totally called Semak dying as soon as I heard someone was biting it. Also knew Cassandra wouldn't be, and I'm happy for it. I'm glad her story is wrapped up and over now, but unlike most of fandom, I've never hated her and I really didn't want to see her demonized and then murdered.

I'm excited to see what Alex does now. She's been so about getting revenge on Semak and getting her mother, and now both of those are done. It seems likely that she's going to take the company just to keep it from Amanda/Ari, but she's never really wanted it, so I'm curious what exactly her plans will end up being.

The press release for ep 18 says that
Spoiler

"I would not make a good mother"
"Why not"
"Because it's Friday??!!??!!"

I loved Nikita finally laying it out for Michael. He's had this vague fantasy in his head, even before learning Cassandra was a Gogol mole I think, and it was never going to work. I'm hoping they can get back to a good place with each other now that this isn't hanging over their heads.

ETA: Oh! One more line I loved, from Katya. "Alexandra, no shooting!" in a tone of voice like she's scolding her for tracking mud on the carpet.

Edited by caitlin claire, Mar 23, 2012 @ 8:22 PM.

Samantha84

Samantha84

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 8:30 PM

I loved tonight's episode. Nikita and Michael back ass kicking together. Post Division etc. Sean is fantastic, loving him these past 2 episodes and the dynamic between him and Alex.
I just love Sarah Clarke's Russian accent - it's beautiful. She and Lyndsy have lovely chemistry, recognized that from the first episode. Again, this was a phenomenal episode.

I'm hoping they can get back to a good place with each other now that this isn't hanging over their heads.

I think it will hang over their relationship until Michael talks to Nikita.
Spoiler

It's one thing for Michael to tell Cassandra but he has to tell Nikita. Nikita has to know that he's staying with her because he truly wants to be there and not because it's too dangerous for him to be with Max and by extension Casandra. No woman, not even bad ass Nikita, wants to think that the man she loves is only with her because he can't be somewhere else. Until they have that talk, it will always be an issue, especially for Nikita.

fellowshipper

fellowshipper

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 8:44 PM

Can Snarky!Sean stick around for a while? Please? I didn't care much for him earlier in the season -- I didn't dislike him, I just never paid much attention to him or cared about him -- but he's been so delightfully entertaining the past couple weeks, now I'd really hate to see him go.

How very badass was that scene where Alex told Amanda where to stick it? Damn, but the look on Amanda's face when Alex spelled it out for her...*shudder*

I'm also curious about why exactly Ari/Amanda thought Alex would ever take that deal. I mean, sure, I guess holding Sean at gunpoint was some kind of leverage, but did they really expect Alex to choose him over her mother if it came to that? And why would they think she'd believe even for a second that even if she took the deal, that Gogol and/or Division wouldn't just take her and her mother out at the first opportunity? Kind of a poorly thought out plan on their part, really.

Ah, the episode itself. Much more entertaining overall than the other Cassandra episodes, and it did a lot to flesh her out and make me warm up to her. Again, like my feelings for Sean's character, I never actively disliked Cassandra (I certainly never hated her and wanted her to be shot and thrown off a cliff, which seems to be the general consensus in fandom); I just never cared about her one way or the other. I thought it was far-fetched when they revealed she was MI-6, and then I laughed at last week's reveal about her being a Gogol plant, because it just seemed like the writers were doing absolutely everything to make her more integral to the plot, but I should have known. They've surprised me again and again by making things work when they really shouldn't, and I have to admit that the actual execution of her Gogol connections wasn't as cringe-worthy as I was expecting. In fact, I even liked her this time around. Hell, I even liked Max, and I'm generally not a fan of TV kids. But his "gun lady!" greeting to Nikita was a nice touch that made me happy, and the look on his face when Nikita took out the MI-6 operatives was priceless. I can't help it. The munchkin won me over.

So, yeah. Count me in as being glad they didn't kill off Casandra and/or villainize her, and that she and Max will presumably be able to live happily and safely now. Speaking of which, kudos to Shane West in this ep. His blind rage at finding out about Cassandra working for Gogol and the accompanying mini-breakdown in the kitchen was fantastic. I love the consistency, too, that when Michael finally snaps, his first instinct is just to gather up the people he loves and run off. Sure, he wants to help Nikita with this mission, but mostly I think he just wants to be left alone to live his life. He's been trying all along to talk Nikita into going into hiding with him, and what's the first thing he did tonight? Decide to grab Max and run, to hell with taking down Division/Oversight/Gogol/whoever else.

SW also totally sold Michael's heartache at losing another family, and that split-second indecision when Cassandra suggested he come with her and Max. You could see the gears turning; he was tempted, if only for a microsecond. But he refuses to let Nikita go, and his love for her is, in the end, even stronger than his desire for a family and some measure of peace. If Nikita ever has any doubts about where Michael's loyalties ultimately lie, I think that choice right there should clear things right up.

Solid ep tonight. A bit slower in terms of twists and turns than what I'm used to from this show, but hey. I'm totally okay with taking a little breather now and then, especially since I cannot WAIT until next week. I thought from the promo shots that the Amanda-Nikita smackdown was taking place in a flashback, but it seems now that it's actually in the present. And that? That is spectacular.

Ashe F

Ashe F

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 8:54 PM

I liked and didn't like parts of this. I think Nikita brings its biggest A game when there are several really tight plots going at once instead of one plot that everyone is involved in because then even when a few of the main characters aren't even in the episode, you still have a few people who really weren't ultilized to their fullest. I did like the episode (I always like the episode), but I do like the ones with a B plot better, I think. I also missed Percy.

I liked most of it though, and I really liked Alex decided to stay and fight in the end, and her mother's pride in that in the end.. And one little thing I liked was that Michael was the one who was acting irrationally out of the love for child and family. Usually it's always the female character who goes off the hinges over her emotions because we can't control our lady emotions in the face of adversity or whatever, but I admire that Nikita generally can control her emotions and actually do what needs to be done. That's something that a lot of shows don't let women do.

Cress

Cress

Stalker

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 10:23 PM

It's so cute when Max calls Nikita "Gun Lady". But he can speak some English by now, surely? Do you think he understood anything that Cassandra and Michael were talking about?