Nikita (2010): 9021007

• Please log in to reply

8032 replies to this topic

caitlin claire

caitlin claire

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 1:03 PM

Since we have an official pickup, a webclip, and promo photos, I think it's time we made this show its own thread. Took the thread title from suggestions in the other one, we can always change it.

Premise:

9:00-10:00 P.M. "NIKITA"

When she was a deeply troubled teenager, Nikita was rescued from death row by a secret U.S. agency known only as Division, who faked her execution and told her she was being given a second chance to start a new life and serve her country. What they didn't tell her was that she was being trained as a spy and assassin. Ultimately, Nikita was betrayed and her dreams shattered by the only people she thought she could trust. Now, after three years in hiding, Nikita is seeking retribution and making it clear to her former bosses that she will stop at nothing to expose and destroy their covert operation. For the time being, however, Division continues to recruit and train other young people, erasing all evidence of their former lives and turning them into cold and efficient killers. One of these new recruits, Alex, is just beginning to understand what lies ahead for her and why the legendary Nikita made the desperate decision to run. The series stars Maggie Q as Nikita, Lyndsy Fonseca as Alex, Shane West as Michael, Aaron Stanford as Birkhoff, Ashton Holmes as Thom, Tiffany Hines as Jaden, with Melinda Clarke as Amanda and Xander Berkeley as Percy. NIKITA is from Warner Bros. Television in association with Wonderland Sound and Vision, with executive producers Craig Silverstein ("Bones," "K-Ville"), Danny Cannon ("CSI: Crime Scene Investigation," "Chuck"), McG ("Supernatural," "Chuck," "The O.C.," "Charlie's Angels"), and Peter Johnson ("Supernatural," "Chuck"). The pilot was directed by Danny Cannon.

First Clip

Promo Photos

Series Trailer

TV Spot 1

***NOTE***

There's been a lot of (very understandable) confusion as to whether this is a continuation or a reboot. It is a reboot. Other than having the same source material it has no connection to the previous series. There are at least two big differences that we know of so far:

1. The CW release says the secret organization in this new series is called Division, not Section 1. It also says that Division is part of the US government, whereas I'm pretty sure Section 1 wasn't officially affiliated with any government.

2. Several sites have discussed a plot point from Nikita's past that isn't in the official description, which is that she has a dead fiance, which appears to be part of her motive for turning (not spoiler tagged because even TWoP talked about it in their article without a warning). This is obviously not part of the original series' backstory.

Edited by caitlin claire, May 21, 2010 @ 6:58 PM.

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 3:04 PM

I will give it a shot I like Shane West. I wasn't all that impressed with the action in the clip, I hope they get a better stunt coordinator when the show goes into production.

Edited by morrigan2575, May 20, 2010 @ 3:04 PM.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 3:11 PM

Thanks, caitlin claire, for going ahead and making the new thread. (And I admit mustbekarma may have been right: a cancellation joke would be tremendously appropriate.)

Is anybody else worried, though, that TPTB are going to screw up the balance between Nikita and Alex and end up making this largely Alex's story?

Azure Owl

Azure Owl

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 3:18 PM

Without a doubt Maggie will be up to the task as far as butt-kicking is concerned.

As for Lyndsy Fonseca, correct me if Iím wrong, but didnít she once play a patient of the week on House that beat the crap of a guy on a Tae Kwon Do match in the pre-credits sequence? If she was the one in Iím remembering at least sheíll have the attitude right.

caitlin claire

caitlin claire

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 3:21 PM

Is anybody else worried, though, that TPTB are going to screw up the balance between Nikita and Alex and end up making this largely Alex's story?

It's a concern, definitely. But the show is called Nikita, so it's not like they can ever completely ignore her, lol.

I myself am hoping for a pretty even split. Nikita should definitely be a main focus, but I think making Alex a well rounded and important character is going to be extremely important for the success of the show and for defining it as separate from all the other incarnations of Nikita. I'm especially intrigued by a possible focus on the relationship between them that was hinted in a few of the earlier articles. That could be a really interesting angle.

Edited by caitlin claire, May 20, 2010 @ 3:22 PM.

Azure Owl

Azure Owl

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 3:27 PM

I’m willing to accept the inclusion of the Alex storyline, since they needed something to differentiate this show from the previous one and the two movies. I was somewhat afraid when I first heard about the remake that they were going to change a lot of the story’s mythology in order to try and make this show stand on its own.

The way they’re actually going about it at least Nikita’s back-story remains pretty much intact.

Edited by Azure Owl, May 20, 2010 @ 3:28 PM.

hakirby

hakirby

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 4:24 PM

Meh. I saw this show years ago when it was called Alias.

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 4:31 PM

Without a doubt Maggie will be up to the task as far as butt-kicking is concerned.

I only know her from that Die Hard sequel and I certainly believed her butt-kicking skills there. As someone who never saw any of the previous Nikita incarnations (well, I did see the BF movie but the less said about that the better) I will be giving this a shot.

Worthingbum66

Worthingbum66

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 4:57 PM

I will wait and see, so far I am not that impressed. I think Maggie is pretty wooden and not as instantly badass and charismatic, as Jen Garner in the Alias pilot or Peta in the series but I will give it a chance.

I like Shane West so far but It is hard to tell from a short clip.

whiteshirtrocks

whiteshirtrocks

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 5:02 PM

Confused? Shane West is supposed to Michael? Really? Ummm...where's the thick layer of sexual tension that should be dripping off of him? Where's the thick layer of sexual tension between him and Nikita? When did he come back to section? Wasn't he the one to escape?

Most importantly, where's the "hand games" -- gosh I miss the original of this show.

Edited by whiteshirtrocks, May 20, 2010 @ 5:03 PM.

patriotickid

patriotickid

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 5:31 PM

(didn't know we were moving. copy paste job)

Did Shane West swallow a bug and that's why his voice got so deep?

Kidding. Somewhat. But not really.

I like it. Looks cheesy good so far. Not everything needs to be Alias style. I already like Maggie better than Piper from Covert Affairs.

caitlin claire

caitlin claire

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 5:33 PM

When did he come back to section? Wasn't he the one to escape?

It's a reboot, not a continuation. The Michael and Nikita of the old show are completely separate from the new. So if it ends up sucking the old show isn't ruined or anything.

Senator X

Senator X

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 5:46 PM

That clip was more Bionic Woman than Alias.

I'm wary of this but I do like that the premise is sort of a sequel of the film (I don't know how the series ended). Otherwise, there seems to be some of the good elements from Dollhouse in here too. I just hope it's better made than that clip suggests. The music was pretty bad.

Maggie Q has decent action presence judging from M:I-III and the Hong Kong film Gen-Y Cops. She can be wooden but I've seen her charming too like in New York, I Love You.

I definitely eager to see Lyndsey Fonesca. She was great in Kick Ass. That's enough to get me interested.

Demian

Demian

Network Executive

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 5:58 PM

In what hell is Melinda Clarke thought of as old enough to play the part performed by Jeanne Moreau and Anne Bancroft in the movie versions?

buttersister

buttersister

Stalker

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 6:23 PM

That clip sucks. Oh well, expectations are appropriately lowered. (As if they hadn't already been by the last season of Original Flavor. And yeah, I know, it's a reboot. Another 'remake' in a world of Hawaii 5-0, etc.)

Edited by buttersister, May 20, 2010 @ 6:24 PM.

Indrani5

Indrani5

Channel Surfer

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 6:43 PM

From watching the clip, I'm not sold yet. It compares very unfavorably to the old show. I'll still watch it, of course.

Maggie's chest bones are sticking out. It's very evident in the very last shot of the clip - and very disturbing. And she runs so awkwardly on those high heels. Nikita has to be naturally and believably athletic. This one looks like a painted doll to me so far. Peta Wilson's Nikita A) usually went without makeup, B) didn't wear ridiculous shoes when she might need to run or fight. So for Maggie, the combination of excessive makeup, bony chest, inappropriate footware makes her look like a fake, vain, superficial, and in over her head.

Shane West looks good, but as someone mentioned, there should be insane chemistry between them, and I didn't see it.

Edited by Indrani5, May 20, 2010 @ 6:45 PM.

JoleneBrown

JoleneBrown

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2010 @ 4:04 AM

Why not just have Peta Wilson play Nikita? I'm serious - why not? Isn't this supposed to be an older version of Nikita? Who is more qualified to play an older version of Nikita than Peta Wilson... seems logical to me.

I have a feeling this is just going to make me miss the original.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2010 @ 7:15 AM

Peta's not CW-friendly (read: young and pretty) enough now, I imagine--though I rather like the idea of having people from the old show pop up Smallville-style in this one. Then again, everybody would be going "Where's Roy Dupuis?" if they did that...

caitlin claire

caitlin claire

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2010 @ 7:24 AM

JoleneBrown, it's not a continuation. This is not an older version of Peta's Nikita, it's a completely different character. I'm running out the door for work, but when I get there I'll update the opening post with the reasons why so hopefully people will see it, since there seems to be a lot of confusion still.

ETA: Update it complete. I also added a link to the series trailer that was shown at the upfronts. It's very poor quality, I will update as soon as a good version becomes available online somewhere.

ETA2: Here's another trailer, looks like a TV spot, again poor quality (for now, hopefully): http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ebvCvWbG4XQ

ETA4: HQ trailer is now in the OP

Edited by caitlin claire, May 21, 2010 @ 9:46 AM.

Mikita

Mikita

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2010 @ 5:45 PM

I'll wait to judge until I see the full pilot. I get so annoyed at all the people that say this just like Alias. La Femme Nikita came before Alias. Alias is a inferior knockoff of La Femme Nikita IMO.

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2010 @ 6:06 PM

I hope they keep the only thing about the original I know about:

The episode titles had the exact number of words in them as the corresponding season number.

Season 1 -- 1 word titles

Season 2 -- 2 word titles

etc.

bbell

bbell

Video Archivist

Posted May 21, 2010 @ 6:23 PM

Alias is a inferior knockoff of La Femme Nikita IMO.

Here Here

belsum

belsum

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2010 @ 7:43 PM

Alias is a inferior knockoff of La Femme Nikita IMO.

Here Here

Precisely. And the reason why it took me until last year to finally get around to watching Alias at all.

I'm intrigued. I've decided this will be my one new show so I'm going to give it more of a chance than if I was only testing it out. I actually hope it does really well. I don't hate any of the casting and I think the inside versus outside perspective could be really interesting if balanced.

Lady Snarkbite

Lady Snarkbite

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2010 @ 11:58 AM

Is it sad that I already think that Alex will be the most interesting character? This new Nikita isn't very Nikita-esque. She seems kind of bland and boring to me. I already miss Peta & Roy.

cjardine

cjardine

Video Archivist

Posted May 22, 2010 @ 7:17 PM

Zap2it's reviewer enjoyed Maggie Q as Nikita.

http://blog.zap2it.c...-assassins.html

At the Upfronts, we were riveted by the footage we saw from the pilot. Contrary to popular belief, this isn't a direct remake of "La Femme Nikita." This time, Nikita (Maggie Q) has gone rogue, and the Division has sent Michael (Shane West) to eliminate her.

First of all, star Maggie Q is perfectly cast. Her resume includes movies from the "Die Hard," "Mission Impossible," and "Rush Hour" franchises, and as The CW's President of Entertainment, Dawn Ostroff, gleefully pointed out at the presentation, Maggie does all of her own stunts. We're excited to see a female lead in an action/adventure series.

Judging from our first look, the series looks incredibly expensive. Ostroff mentioned that every episode will feel like watching a "mini action movie." If the entire series can live up to the production values of the pilot, this show may set a new standard at The CW. It will certainly stand out.

I'd like to know more about the rest of the cast, particularly Shane West and Lyndsy Fonseca. I haven't been too impressed by their previous work. Here's Fonseca on Desperate Housewives
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=gr09mYBNPSg
Having said that, from the brief shots of Alex in the trailer, I'm cautiously optimistic that she'll fit this role.
I'm looking forward to Xander Berkely as Percy, he was terrific on 24.

Paul O Regan

Paul O Regan

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2010 @ 3:10 PM

I like Fonseca. She was good in Kick-Ass. I've only ever seen Shane West in ER.

Ulkis

Ulkis

Stalker

Posted May 24, 2010 @ 1:41 PM

I think it looks pretty interesting, actually. I like it that Nikita isn't trapped by the organization in this one. So far.

pinkmoon

pinkmoon

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 27, 2010 @ 12:32 AM

I would be way more into this show if it weren't for Shane West. I like him well enough, but he looks like he should still be playing college age boys. I know he's over 30, but I don't buy him as Serious Agent.

Lady Snarkbite

Lady Snarkbite

Couch Potato

Posted May 27, 2010 @ 1:47 PM

I would be way more into this show if it weren't for Shane West. I like him well enough, but he looks like he should still be playing college age boys. I know he's over 30, but I don't buy him as Serious Agent.

Word. Badass secret agent is not in Shane West's repertoire. I just can't take him seriously playing anything even close to this character.

caitlin claire

caitlin claire

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2010 @ 3:19 PM

New 3 minute trailer.

Not really a fan of the music, but it's the CW, so I'm not surprised.

I doubt this is going to be anything groundbreaking but I still think it looks fun.

Favorite part of the trailer:

Percy: Find her.
Michael: I know Nikita, if she doesn't want to be found it's next to impossible.
Nikita: *strolling up casually* Hey guys. I thought I heard my name.
Percy: *eyeroll*
Michael: ...