9-40: "Top 3 Performances" 2010.05.18

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

194 replies to this topic

21bored

21bored

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2010 @ 7:59 PM

Haven't been around the past month, because I've been too busy graduating (w00t!). Plus, this season sucks to depths no spelunker will ever reach.

Casey: It was alright (heh), but why pick tonight to expect him to change it up? Isn't this what he's been doing since forever? Casey, like Crystal (who will win), has a sameyness about him that they should've never acknowledged in the first place, or praise and don't wait until the Top 3 to bitch about it.

Crystal: Oh, Crystal. She hasn't found any personal charisma yet? She never will, I guess. This was yet another Crystal Bowersox performance. The same performance she's given a million times this season. But of course, when she does the same shit week-to-week, it's unwavering self-belief and integrity. When it's somebody else (Tim, Casey), it's boring. Yeah. No motive there.

Lee: Lee looks like a 27 year old playing an 18 year old in a teen movie. That is his blessing; that is his curse. Why is he not facing Ryan? Does he not know he looks weird? When did his fucking head get so big (I mean that, literally)? As usual, he's about 35-50% less good than people think he is. It's almost embarrassing the way they've pimped him to the Top 3. Lee's not a bad guy, he's not totally without talent, but he seems like such a charity case. Like he has a gimpy leg or some shit.

Casey, again: I'm not a fan of this song, and Casey gave the same moan-y, earnest delivery he always gives. Whatever...they don't expect him to go to the Top 2. Kara and Randy tried to throw him under the bus. And how the fuck are they going to criticize him for having an "okay" song choice and performance for the song he picked, but then they pick something more sleepy and blase-blah? Fuck off.

Crystal, again: Whatever. She bores me.

Lee: Total fucking pimp treatment. He's still boring as shit.

phoebepoodle

phoebepoodle

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2010 @ 8:02 PM

Lee's "Hallelujah" gave me chills. I teared up at the end, *just* a little.
Yeah, I've drunk the kool-aid. It's mighty tasty.

Koffee Kup

Koffee Kup

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2010 @ 8:02 PM

Why did Crystal sing the song lyrics exactly as written? She isn't a man so singing the lyrics,

"Maybe I'm a man and maybe I'm a lonely man
Who's in the middle of something
That he doesn't really understand
Maybe I'm a man
and maybe you're the only woman who could ever help me
Baby won't you help me understand"

just seems stupid.

Kara's comment to Casey in regards to Daughters, "your audience is girls and women" was stupid since the song is bascially mothers don't screw up your daughters so I can sucessfully screw them without baggage.

Didn't know how he would do, but liked Lee's version of Hallelujah.

I do think Casey had the weakest night and that Crystal and Lee deserve to be in the finals.

Big Machine

Big Machine

Video Archivist

Posted May 18, 2010 @ 8:03 PM

Wow. They want Lee to win this, don't they? That may have been higher than Jordin-level pimping right there. The choir? The arrangement? The lighting? I have a feeling Simon helped with that arrangement like he helped Adam with "One" last year. It had all of the over-the-top cheese and lack of subtlety that's his trademark.

Riahsha

Riahsha

Channel Surfer

Posted May 18, 2010 @ 8:04 PM

"Who woulda thunk it?"

I thought Lee was the best of the night.

Konfusion

Konfusion

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2010 @ 8:05 PM

Fuck this shit, seriously. The over-the-top pimping for Lee reached heights I never knew possible.

I think I'm legit done with this show if he wins.

Casey's "Daughters" is the only download I want from tonight. I actually teared up during that one (not during Lee's forced moment, judges).

I'll be over here in my corner.

EmpressI

EmpressI

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 18, 2010 @ 8:05 PM

boring bore that ever did bore..

Seriously I tuned out and enjoyed the college dancing on DWTS. These contestants suck the energy out of me. I will not be watching the finale. I don't think I could take that much bore.

foultemptress

foultemptress

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2010 @ 8:06 PM

Wow, that was the pimpiest pimping that ever pimped; do TPTB really want another white guy for their AI? And I like Lee! Voting for Crystal, though, I'm sure Lee is in the finals, so I want to make sure she's there, too. Casey did fine, he's great, but this should be the end of the road for him.

FTR, I got chills watching "Hallelujah" as well.

tomorrowgirl

tomorrowgirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 18, 2010 @ 8:06 PM

I wonder if Casey really wants to win? I've been a fan of his all season, but he doesn't seem to listen to the judges regarding the kinds of songs that are good for him. I think his song choice was a poor one, and didn't show what he is capable of. I thought that both of Lee's songs were very good.

AlexaD

AlexaD

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 18, 2010 @ 8:07 PM

Anyone else get the feeling they want Lee in the finals and want him to win?

Yeah...me too, me too.

That was some crazy over pimping right there. Poor Casey didn't stand a chance against that bus hitting him tonight.

the fresh maker

the fresh maker

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2010 @ 8:08 PM

So, basically, Simon tells everyone, "Lee is going to have a moment now," before Lee even sings, and manages to throw Jason Castro under the bus at the same time in saying that we've never heard "Hallelujah" performed the way Lee will.

Well, ain't that the truth? "Hallelujah" is a meditative, reflective song. Instead, in Simon's arrangement, we get a choir, horns, loudness, and bombast.

This season has been so effective in weaning me off of this show.

loseresque

loseresque

Stalker

Posted May 18, 2010 @ 8:08 PM

I thought Lee was fantastic but that pimping was crazy. Not that I'm surprised - Simon likes to be right and I knew as soon as he picked that song, Simon was going to make sure he was right. Notice he alluded twice that he had some sort of involvement with how that last song panned out (unlike Kara and Randy).

Regardless of the pimpage, I was still on Lee's side because he's the only one who looked like he showed up. Best contestant song choice of the night - it was meaningful and well done.

Crystal deserves to say based on the season overall. I'm sort of done with Casey but if he makes it tonight, it will be at the expense of Crystal. Not Lee.

That was some crazy over pimping right there. Poor Casey didn't stand a chance against that bus hitting him tonight.

Not a bus if someone is actually not that good on a given night.

Edited by loseresque, May 18, 2010 @ 8:10 PM.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

• Interests:Gardening

Posted May 18, 2010 @ 8:09 PM

Wow. They want Lee to win this, don't they?

I hope he goes home tomorrow so Randy and Kara's heads will explode, and then (aside from Ellen) we can have all new judges next time. I've always been too un-invested to really notice the judgery-fuckery, so when even I feel slapped in the face by it - it's BAD!

I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't think Hallelujah is the greatest song ever written or sung, but can we PLEASE retire it - at least for awhile. It's been done to death now.

I wonder if Casey really wants to win?

I've never felt like he's wanted to do anything but his best and let whatever happens happens.

Edited by CrumbyButtons, May 18, 2010 @ 8:13 PM.

rustyspigot

rustyspigot

Fanatic

• Interests:TV and Sarcasm. And I love the bitches.

Posted May 18, 2010 @ 8:10 PM

Well the only thing that caught my attention was Casey's relative in the audience who either went for the Dog Patch Lil' Abner look or Strawberry Shortcake. It was a quick shot.

Crystal needs to forgo the harmonica. The shortened song times just make it seem like a useless add on. I am glad she didn't try to change up the genders in Maybe I'm Amazed, though.

Three more shows. Thank God.

"your audience is girls and women"

At least she didn't go all "ANTM" with "Girls, especially females"

Edited by rustyspigot, May 18, 2010 @ 8:15 PM.

krisis

krisis

Channel Surfer

• Interests:I haven't watched live television since I gave it up in 2004 because I hated Fantasia &lt;i&gt;that much&lt;/i&gt;. Since then, TWoP has been my great savior, and my #1 recommender of Cool Stuff.<br /><br />Some of my interests are:<br /><br />teevee: battlestar galactica, the 4400, veronica mars, buffy, x-files.<br /><br />flicks: clue, brick, hedwig, primer, elizabethtown, hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy<br /><br />tunes: rufus wainwright, ani difranco, david bowie, madonna, the dresden dolls<br /><br />other: songwriting, Jacob, 90s comic books, top-shelf vodka, collecting guitars

Posted May 18, 2010 @ 8:13 PM

Such a sad slow decline for this season.

Casey's first song was a smart pick, but he did it with none of the conviction and energy of the original. 3/10. His second song was a measured, emotive take on a boring tune. 7/10.

Casey gets 50%

Crystal's first song was a train wreck. Etheridge is the definition of "wheelhouse" for her, but she bombed with weak vocals and wrong-headed harmonica intro/outro. 2/10. Her second song was an inspired choice, but she clearly had no voice to give to it. She looked tired as she sang it, and was behind a lot of it. Still, cool. Can't wait for the iTunes. 4/10.

Crystal gets 30%.

Lee's first song was a middling vocal, but the arrangement was awesome. 5/10. His second song was an overblown hunk of cheese, but Simon clearly coached him a little on the vocal, because it was mostly in tune (and, the parts that weren't were cleverly hidden by the choir). Still, a choir can't fix abysmally bad phrasing. 6/10.

Lee gets 55%.

Basically, my least favorite final three contestant of all time - one that Nikki McKibbin and Jasmine Trias could sing circles around - just squeaked out a win.

The shark has been jumped.

Edited by krisis, May 18, 2010 @ 8:24 PM.

All Over Blue

All Over Blue

Video Archivist

Posted May 18, 2010 @ 8:13 PM

I have to say each finalist showed us something they haven't showed us before. Casey sang with a seriousness he has lacked. Crystal sang without an instrument and looked comfortable. Her eyes were open too. Lee sang Simple Man with a clarity that has been largely absent. For all that, they are who they are and nobody really shocked me. There was nothing special about Crystal or Casey tonight, for me. Lee did entertain me on Simple Man. For that alone, he gets my vote.

pk124

pk124

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2010 @ 8:14 PM

Is it even worth watching next week? That was the coronation of Lee right there.

Absolutely perfect that the show's worst season will get the worst winner ever.

Whatever, I'm still voting for Crystal.

Riahsha

Riahsha

Channel Surfer

tomorrowgirl

I feel the same way about Casey. As for Crystal and Casey both, I wouldn't want either of them to win and be forced to make that first AI album. That would totally take away what I've come to appreciate about them. They've received enormous exposure now and that's all they needed.

In no way because he is my favorite, Lee FTW!

Adammo88

Adammo88

Fanatic

• Interests:Music (especially matchbox twenty, Maroon 5, Heather Headley, a few of the AI alums, and Mariah Carey - shut up), tennis, and ranting about television shows (duh)

Plus, this season sucks to depths no spelunker will ever reach.

21bored (congrats btw!) so much word. This season has been such a colossal yawn and Simon is going out with a whimper. Meh.

Tonight, the role of Kimberley Locke/Vonzell Solomon/Elliott Yamin/Syesha Mercado was played by Casey James... However, he really didn't do anything like Kim or Elliott did in seasons past to prove that he belonged in the finale so the fact that we would have had to invent a new musical style in order to gain judgery support doesn't really matter. He still might outlast Crystal though.

I don't think Ellen's song choice did Crystal any favors and the panel seemed to be working overtime with the spin. I thought Crystal's own song choice did her even less favors as it was karaoke hell with a side of a damn Taylor Hicksian harmonica. It was a poor Etheridge impersonation and is the single reason I think Casey's cougars and worshippers might outgun her.

Lee is so winning this bitch. Even though he continues to not impress me and Simon literally picks from a list of ten songs on all of his shows, his last performance was better than anything else tonight. Didn't Teflon Timmy sing this earlier this year? Pfft. Whatever.

bzork

bzork

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2010 @ 8:16 PM

Crystal - Get it girl! OMG, that was amazing. Bored to absolute tears by her personal choice, ADORED what she did with the judges choice.

Casey - Um. How does he manage to suck the fucking life out of EVERYTHING he does? John Mayer's song choice was genius. And it was SO fucking underwhelming. He's like an aural vampire. He sucks everything out of you and makes you so dead you don't want anymore. Ever.

Lee - Oh. Simple Man. Fabulous choice. You might want to try the melody from time to time. And Hallelujah was just bullshit. A song that's been done not only previously, and better, but also this season! What the fuck were you supposed to do with that? Oh, solicit the red vote. Well, good luck with that sweetie. I'd rather see you than Casey make it through.

JustADream

JustADream

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2010 @ 8:16 PM

Sigh. Casey might have well of not even been on the show tonight.

jtenny123

jtenny123

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2010 @ 8:19 PM

I felt horrible for Casey having to sing that embarrassing Daughters song.

Lee's the perfect symbolic winner for this crappy season.

Crystal has been the season's saving grace, I wish her the best.

Be3t

Be3t

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 18, 2010 @ 8:19 PM

Yeah, I got chills during "Hallelujah," too. Because I realized the judges and show seem to have finally found a way create their own winner.

I will be so glad when this season's over and I can get shut of AI forever.

Koffee Kup

Koffee Kup

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2010 @ 8:20 PM

So, basically, Simon tells everyone, "Lee is going to have a moment now," before Lee even sings, and manages to throw Jason Castro under the bus at the same time in saying that we've never heard "Hallelujah" performed the way Lee will.

I don't think Simon threw Jason under the bus because his statement was true, he said it was a version that had not been heard on the show and that was true.

Laurie4H

Laurie4H

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2010 @ 8:21 PM

Crystal will win. They are just pimping Lee to make it look like a competition. I wonder why Simon has latched onto him like this? He good but not great.

tvweb44

tvweb44

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2010 @ 8:23 PM

Let's just call the night The Lee DeWyze Manufactured Moment, shall we? He got the Top 2 Choir of Angels and everything. Singing Hallelujah to boot. I would have probably liked it better, if this was all Lee's idea instead of producer's machinations. I felt manipulated and I resent that. Didn't like Simple Man at all. Bucky Covington did it better but didn't get slobbered over.

Casey collided with a great big bus. Then said bus proceeded to drag and run over him. Daughters? For real. Randy's pet phrase for the year is "that was sleepy" and yet he sets him up with the musical equivalent of rhohypnol. John Mayer did pump it up on his live album John Mayer Trio though. I wish Casey would have heard that. His first song I never heard before, but I was digging it. Then it abruptly ended. It needed some vocal runs on the end.

Didn't like either of Crystal's performances or her yelling at me that she was so amazed. Tongue bathed to second place.

No huge, organic moment like Kris Allen's Heartless this year. Pity.

Edited by tvweb44, May 18, 2010 @ 8:26 PM.

Beerracuda

Beerracuda

Channel Surfer

Good God, just when you think this show couldn't get any more manipulative, you have the asshole judges driving not just any bus, but one of those huge London double-decker ones right down the street at Casey. At the same time, they manage to pimp Lee to degrees I never thought were possible, even for AI.

There's no doubt that this season will go down as the worst ever. But the show itself is doing a lot of that damage with the manipulation.

Casey - Why did you pick this song? Do you even care about winning? It wasn't badly sung, but it's just not one to sing on Top 3 night. And Kara/Randy's choice? Awful awful choice. Simon was spot-on about that song choice they made for him. In the meantime, while Simon is telling the awful truth to "Yo" man and the bitch, we need to put up another cue card stating "shut the fuck up, Kara!!!"
God, that bitch is so into herself, and has absolutely ZERO knowledge of music, despite the fact that she THINKS she's some kind of expert. Just shutup and go the fuck away.

Crystal - Good on both songs. Not great, but good. But then, that's normal for her. Good choice by Ellen, and it was nice to see her try one without a guitar. Still boring though, as is all 3 of these people.

Lee - First off DeWyze, don't ever let me hear you murder a classic Skynyrd song like that, ever again. Sung with passion? HAH!! Ronnie Van Zant had passion, and he wasn't the greatest singer, but he made that song great. Don't do that again.
Second, if you don't win this contest from all the pimping you just received, you'll know to not quit your day job.
No, he's not a horrible singer, but I get a little more than slightly miffed when I see these loser judges pimp someone like they did tonight.

If I cared more, I'd be absolutely furious with this show after tonight's fuckery. Not only for the pimping, but also for 60 minutes of a singing competion, reduced to 6 songs of what? 90 seconds each? I mean, this show is supposed to be about music, right?

Right?

Oh that's right. The music industry isn't even about music. It's all about how much money they can extort! (see: multiple commercial breaks instead of actual singing).

Thank God only one more week of this!!

likeacarcrash

likeacarcrash

Video Archivist

I don't think Simon threw Jason under the bus because his statement was true, he said it was a version that had not been heard on the show and that was true.

...a shitty one?

I have never seen a mediocre contestant pimped so hard, and that includes Gokey. Yikes.

LivenLetLive

LivenLetLive

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2010 @ 8:24 PM

Poor Casey didn't stand a chance against that bus hitting him tonight.

Hell Casey willingly jumped in front of the Bus tonight...sigh, I've been a fan, but I can't deny that he has given up. Bye Casey, hope to hear you again sometime playing the music that you are truly good at: guitar driven Blues-Rock.

Crystal is my girl, BUT I thought that her voice sounded shot tonight, and, more tellingly, All through "Maybe I'm Amazed" all I could think of is what Kris Allen could have done with that song.

Lee: I've always liked him, and I've downloaded a few of his studios this season, but his always being off-key live sort of turned me off, and I've only voted for him once this season, but not tonight, I thought that he was tremendous even with the OTT pimping, so I threw a bunch of votes at him, and a few toward Crystal. I've felt all along that Crystal would win this thing, but after tonight I'm begining to think that Lee will take it.

LutherMahoney

LutherMahoney

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2010 @ 8:25 PM

I wonder if Casey really wants to win?

I think the same could be said for ALL of the final three. They all seem like really nice people and maybe they're different off camera but none of them are exactly the life of the party. People made fun of Carrie during her season for the stiffness and lack of personality but she had more than these three put together.