Haven

• Please log in to reply

6036 replies to this topic

bartered goods

bartered goods

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 13, 2010 @ 8:53 AM

I'm looking forward to the Maine accents.

Now THOSE will bring the horror! TV never gets the accent right. "Dear Haven, please step away from the Maine accents. Sincerely, Native Mainer."

pyralis

pyralis

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2010 @ 11:44 AM

Showcase Canada ran this last night - I guess the setting and actors fill some Can-Con quota. While I agree it was generic, I did have fun playing "Hi Canadian actor, I know you from ..." and I could listen to Nicholas Campbell's and Richard Donat's voices reading a menu, so that helps.

SisterOfSylar

SisterOfSylar

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 13, 2010 @ 11:29 PM

Damn, I never saw a premiere date for this.. or it completely slipped my mind. Either way haven't gotten a chance to see it.

Looks like I'm shelling out 2 bucks on Amazon.

I've been getting mixed reviews about the show from friends. Hoping it's decent at least.

Standoffish

Standoffish

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 14, 2010 @ 4:28 AM

SisterOfSylar:

Damn, I never saw a premiere date for this.. or it completely slipped my mind. Either way haven't gotten a chance to see it.

Looks like I'm shelling out 2 bucks on Amazon.

It's up (for free!) at Hulu now.

hilaryvm

hilaryvm

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2010 @ 3:16 PM

I quite enjoyed the first episode. It's about the only new summer show that I've really, really liked so far.

Also, feel no pain cop? Completely hot.

I am wondering how long they're going to be able to keep up the "person with strange powers" of the week plots. I mean, it's a small town, so either everyone has strange powers, or there's going to be a very large number of people with strange powers showing up and doing bad things. It just seems like it would be a hard premise to sustain for multiple seasons of a show.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2010 @ 7:07 PM

They can make it like a human Warehouse 13. A superpower relocation area like the other SyFy shows

The Mad Maple

The Mad Maple

Stalker

Posted Jul 14, 2010 @ 8:29 PM

Well, I liked it, anyway. It had a definite "Stephen King's Eureka" vibe to it, and I'm a fan of both, and I thought it worked. It was dramatic without being dreary, the characters were quirky without being annoying (though the old men who ran the newspaper archives were kinda pushing it there), and none of the actors were especially horrible.

I'll probably tune in through the summer, at least.

PinkShoeAddict

PinkShoeAddict

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 14, 2010 @ 9:09 PM

They can make it like a human Warehouse 13. A superpower relocation area like the other SyFy shows

We already have Sanctuary- this has to have something different aside from just tracking down abnormals. After finishing the first episode, I wondered how it would even create a plot more than just 2-3 episodes before getting old. It may make an interesting miniseries, but not something that could go on for several seasons.

I don't mind Emily Rose. Yes, she is dry, but that sort of attitude doesn't bother me much.

The show is up On Demand now too if you get that. I think it just came up yesterday as per the typical slowdown with putting up shows that air on Fridays.

SisterOfSylar

SisterOfSylar

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 16, 2010 @ 9:54 PM

Finally got a chance to see the premiere ep. :) The official website shows them for free! Awesome really.

First favorite line: "Shame about the car." ]

Heh. Bangor. Mic-Maw. Loved that being mentioned. Sorry, kind of giddy about this being based in Maine. Wish we had more shows showcasing Maine.

I like Nathan, not so sure about the chief, reminds me of the one I grew up with in the town I grew up in.

"How do you keep a car that long?"

"I don't drive off cliffs." Another hee from me. So liking this so far. Sue me, apparently I'm easily amused.

And the fog scene when talking to Conrad.. and nearly being hit by a Mack Truck. Well I can attest to that. Almost happened to me.. twice.

Like the bit about Nathan's issue without feeling pain.

Okay not liking the actress's voice. It's not as bad as Fran Drescher's, but it's still.. grating.

Like Eric Balfour so far.. plays Duke I think is the name.

"You guys are going to let me go first, right?"

At once: "No."

Liking the dialogue really. It's not bad for a syfy show. Ahhh and there's the Colorado Kid thing... the picture. Hmm, so I suppose that will be the arc plot.

And not smart to shoot a guy that doesn't feel pain. Hence, being rushed by the guy you shot. Moron.

All in all, good. I'll watch the next ep when I get the chance.

marieelise0928

marieelise0928

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 16, 2010 @ 10:17 PM

Exact same feelings about second episode as pilot - like the leads, the plots are just dumb. I AM very curious about hot cop's "troubles"... Not remotely curious about the mystery-mom story.

Not really sure how much meat this show has on its bones. The plot of the week format just isn't doing it for me. But it's early yet. And syfy (I still have a hard time typing that!) doesn't cancel as fast as the networks, does it?

Atropos

Atropos

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2010 @ 10:28 PM

Was the "mystery of the week" plot from either episode based on The Colorado Kid?

Cardie

Cardie

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2010 @ 10:31 PM

From what I understand, The Colorado Kid is a straight up mystery novel without supernatural stuff. Only the arc of Audrey's past relates to that story. I don't know if the "mutant of the week" stories have any sources in King.

Poor Stephen McHattie! He's had to live in both Haplin and Haven, drunk as a skunk both times.

Edited by Cardie, Jul 16, 2010 @ 10:32 PM.

BoobTubeJunkie

BoobTubeJunkie

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 16, 2010 @ 10:49 PM

Poor Stephen McHattie! He's had to live in both Haplin and Haven, drunk as a skunk both times.

He also played a man quite fond of his drink while living in Pontypool. His super cool voice was the best part of that movie.

I don't know, with Monosyllabic Man and Monotone Woman as the two leads, I'm still not sure about this show. I want to like it so much better than I actually do. And I'm one of those people with the weird love/hate thing going for Eric Balfour (Is he attractive? Or is he skeevy? He's both!!), and I think we really needed his snark around to help liven up this episode. The whole thing just felt so blah and low key.

Edited by BoobTubeJunkie, Jul 16, 2010 @ 10:52 PM.

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2010 @ 1:37 AM

I don't mind Emily Rose. Yes, she is dry, but that sort of attitude doesn't bother me much.

Actually that dry quality is what I love about her. There's no accounting for taste, but I'm befuddled its such a turn off to so many. I find it very appealing.

I AM very curious about hot cop's "troubles"...

The whole "troubles" code talk came off as pretty stupid to me. I mean, come on. Does anyone talk that way in real life? EVER?

WeatherServo9

WeatherServo9

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 17, 2010 @ 2:51 AM

After the meh of the pilot, episode two set up some very interesting character traits and future plot interest.

Now I'm really liking the small-town police officer who has this dark side that only comes out every once in a while and indicates something going on underneath that I suspect we'll learn more about in episodes to come. Now I'm even liking the crotchety chief, who went from being a stereotype to a much more sympathetic character with a few mysterious motivations himself.

Although I'm still not exactly sold on why this FBI agent is so quick to embrace these supernatural events. Maybe it will be explained in the future, or maybe it's just a premise of the show that the viewer must simply accept. That's okay, I'm fine with just accepting premises and moving on. But unless she was working on the X-Files with Sculder before this, there ought to be some incredulity on her part. Although after getting wrapped up in a cocoon in your hotel room, I guess some credulity would be inevitable.

But this episode was only striking me as basically acceptable to spend my time watching until the crazy scene with the dream and the truck. The photography/effects/editing in that scene were stunning, and all the more impressive for it only being the second episode of the entire series. Kudos for that scene, which really made this episode.

Now if only Warehouse 13 could pull off special effects like that.

I'll never declare Haven The Best Show Ever Made, but if episode three is this good I'll be very a happy viewer.

squerlplease

squerlplease

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 17, 2010 @ 4:04 AM

Nathan is yum. That is all.

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2010 @ 11:33 AM

the small-town police officer who has this dark side that only comes out every once in a while and indicates something going on underneath that I suspect we'll learn more about in episodes to come

You can tell from Episode 2 that his claims of not believing this stuff is a lie. It really came off as a pattern of him trying to disinterest Audrey or something like that. I get the sense from those scenes that the supernatural aspect of the town is a shared secret among its occupants, and simply denied to outsiders.

The show flubbed Audrey's invite to stay and her "partner's" reactions afterwards. Clearly the intent of the invite was to show an orchestration by the Sheriff (who seems to be in cahoots with her former FBI boss--who's clearly supernatural since the implication was that his power was to cause those ground tremors) to let Audrey into the secret of the town. What was flubbed was that the younger cop should have been surprised by this, or maybe upset. As I said, clearly he's been trying to subtly disinterest Audrey in the supernatural stuff, but now she's basically been invited to stay to look into them. He should have reacted to that.

BrainyBlonde

BrainyBlonde

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2010 @ 11:33 AM

"Meteor showers are better naked." Hee! I think I love Nathan.

I am really enjoying the Nathan/Audrey partnership. Their policing styles seem to be quite compatible and I like that they share the same dry sense of humor about things. Nathan comes across a little broody, which is understandable considering his condition and how it's affected his life, so I think it's nice that he feels comfortable enough with Audrey that he can talk about his past and "troubles" with her. And thank you, Haven writers, for having these two refer to each other by first name the majority of the time. I loved the Scully/Mulder thing on X-Files, but it's been done to death since then.

Anyone else a little disappointed that we didn't get to see the scene of Nathan arriving at Audrey's hotel room to find her cocooned in a blanket? I want to know what his reaction was, how he got her out of it, and how she explained what happened.

I, for one, was glad not to see Duke this week. Eric Balfour just seems miscast in that role to me. He always gives off this creepy vibe and I think we're supposed to find Duke roguish and charming, which I certainly did not in the first ep. I am a little curious to find out what the backstory on Nathan/Duke is, but I mostly just want to see Nathan kick Duke's smarmy butt. Looks like I might get my chance in next week's ep.

The beautiful scenery on this show makes me want to move Halifax!

Edited by BrainyBlonde, Jul 17, 2010 @ 11:36 AM.

Anacharsis

Anacharsis

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2010 @ 12:14 PM

He also played a man quite fond of his drink while living in Pontypool.

He plays a drunk father in Murdoch Mysteries, too, though he isn't a bully and has a sense of humor.

I'm liking this show as well, especially the partnership between Audrey and Nathan (and even between Audrey and the Chief). I missed where the daughter and foster son were moving to -- was it to a new town or just a new place within Haven?

irishmaple

irishmaple

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2010 @ 1:14 PM

I believe they were moving to the cabin where Bobby had his breakthorough dream-control moment.

CoderLady

CoderLady

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2010 @ 3:10 PM

From what I understand, The Colorado Kid is a straight up mystery novel without supernatural stuff. Only the arc of Audrey's past relates to that story. I don't know if the "mutant of the week" stories have any sources in King. Cardie

That's interesting. Stephen King writes a perfectly good mystery story and it can't be the basis of a TV series unless it gets all supernatural. Dude can't catch a break.

I thought it was obvious that Bobby was the source of the problems because the reverend was too obvious and it couldn't be his daughter. Two episodes in a row where a female character causes nasty physical disturbances as an unconscious form of passive aggression would have been too much.

To me this show still comes off badly being on right after Eureka especially with Eureka's exciting reboot this season. After watching well-drawn characters and fun plots, Haven isn't as interesting. And what's up with all the damn depressing blue filtering? I'll try to stick with Haven an episode or two more, but if it doesn't get better I can find better ways to spend an hour.

charles wayne

charles wayne

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 17, 2010 @ 4:18 PM

I'm glad I watched Happy town before this, because it makes this much better (not that I hated Happy Town, just that this show contrasts positively).

Love the witty dialogue here, opposed to the horrid writing of Happy Town. Both shows were fun to watch the people talk.

The story of the week already seems way too predictable, unless they change it up next week, the biography of the "perpetrators" gives them away.

Maybe the underlying story will make it more interesting, although unlike most other shows I've been watching, at this point I don't feel compelled toward figuring out any mystery (yes, I know we are supposed to wonder about the Colorado kid, but they haven't beat us over the head with that yet, like HT did with the Magic Man).

Question for the viewers. In the pilot, her boss picks up a "vampire novel". The name on the book appeared to be "Unstake My Heart", but I can't find the book anywhere. THe other book on the table (To The Twentieth Generation) was a real book, so I'm not sure why they felt they had to make up a fake vampire book.

While I liked a lot of lines, my favorite was Audrey's comment about the name of the town being some long indian name, which would translate to "Haven" -- "I guess that's easier to spell". Understated sarcasm -- I love it.

As to the episodes, they seem to have skipped an episode from the listing on IMDB (and mentioned here earlier as the 1.2 episode). But I also noticed that a little bit of the description for episode 2 happened in episode 1 (her learning of the picture).

So does anybody know if they merged the 2nd into the 1st, or anything like that?

Last thing: It's shows like this, clever enough but trite and with "mysteries" that are pretty easy to solve, or like HT which try to be hard but are just weird, that make me really appreciate the underlying excellence of Dollhouse, where Whedon managed to keep us complaining for weeks about the "premise" of the show, while in fact we were scoping out the ultimate plot while not having any idea that was where we were going.

Still, all in all, I like this show.

shortpplfedup

shortpplfedup

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2010 @ 5:28 PM

And I'm one of those people with the weird love/hate thing going for Eric Balfour (Is he attractive? Or is he skeevy? He's both!!)

I was about to delete the episode last week about 10 minutes in and then Eric Balfour turned up and I decided I'm here as long as he is. No love/hate here, I just LOVE him and find him hotter than hot.

sp23

sp23

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2010 @ 5:48 PM

Although I'm still not exactly sold on why this FBI agent is so quick to embrace these supernatural events.

Well, they hinted in the first five minutes of the pilot that she's always embrace not-quite-normal answers to crimes. I think she's just primed to believe.

I'm really liking this show. It's enjoyable enough that even though I was really sleepy last night, I managed to stay awake and watch the whole thing. And I do like the mystery of Audrey's mom and what the 'troubles' are.

And in the debate re: Eric Balfour, I like him so I'm happy he's on this show. :-)

kechara

kechara

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2010 @ 7:34 PM

I saw the pilot tonight and it was ok. I'm a bit disappointed that it was shot in Nova Scotia. I'd wanted to see some actual Maine scenery as my people came from there. I'd also love to hear the legitimate Maine accent if there is such a thing. I'll watch again.

CalAggie

CalAggie

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2010 @ 7:53 PM

Not sure if I will be a fan, but again I think it is light years better than HAPPY TOWN, and a good deal better than FLASHFORWARD.

Thanks for the vampire book question, I was wondering about that as well.

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2010 @ 12:32 AM

I am really enjoying the Nathan/Audrey partnership. Their policing styles seem to be quite compatible and I like that they share the same dry sense of humor about things. Nathan comes across a little broody, which is understandable considering his condition and how it's affected his life, so I think it's nice that he feels comfortable enough with Audrey that he can talk about his past and "troubles" with her.

I also really enjoy Audrey's and Nathan's interactions, especially that the show is not beating us over the head with the whole blooming love angle that most shows go for with their male and female leads. Let them be partners and friends first, then if anything grows out of that fine and if not you've still established a solid relationship. Win-win IMO.

Tulse

Tulse

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2010 @ 1:38 AM

The most enjoyable feature of the show for me is the dialogue, which is both laconic and snappy (if such a thing is possible). It's not jokey, but I found myself laughing quite a bit at the exchanges and turns of phrase.

Uncle Benzene

Uncle Benzene

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 18, 2010 @ 6:38 AM

Episode 1: Good person who means no harm makes bad things happen due to supernatural powers she doesn't fully understand and can't control. Suspect turns out to be more victim than perp. Situation diffused by way of Audrey's compassion and diplomacy.

Episode 2: Good person who means no harm makes bad things happen due to supernatural powers he doesn't fully understand and can't control. Suspect turns out to be more victim than perp. Situation diffused by way of Audrey's compassion and diplomacy.

Here's hoping they removed that particular slip of paper from the Big Hat O' Plots.

I found the climactic scene in Nathan's out of control truck to be pretty laughable, from the butterflies to the morphing back & forth with the boy's parents, to Audrey's sweet talk.

Nathan still speaks like he's Jerry Seinfeld trying not to be funny in front of George's date.

Despite that, still interested and entertained for the time being.

moonwater

moonwater

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2010 @ 8:13 AM

I really like this show but so far it has little to do with Stephen King's Colorado Kid. King's book is more about characters and how they dwell on solving old mysteries than the actual mystery itself. It is almost meta fiction in which he jerks the reader around with mytery solving cliches without actually offering any closure whatsoever. Still I am curious whether this sub text of chasing after the unknown without the necessity to find answers will find its way to the show. But the first two episodes tell me that Haven is not aiming to go that meta.

I found the two journalists interesting. I want to see more of them. After all, they are the central characters in the book.

I didn't understand why the FBI handler and the chief need to be in cahoots to lure Agent Palmer to Haven. The FBI could have just sent her there on an official assignment.

So if Nathan can't feel any pain, can he feel pleasure? Like a kiss?

Best line of this episode: "Nathan, your prom was last century."

Edited to add spoiler tags

Edited by moonwater, Jul 18, 2010 @ 8:15 AM.