Haven

• Please log in to reply

6036 replies to this topic

CalAggie

CalAggie

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2010 @ 1:54 AM

I did not know anything about this show, just happened to look at my local paper's TV listing at 9:30, and saw a blurb about it and decided to watch. I am rather glad I did catch it.

I have to chuckle at your post ItMustBeKarma because I thought the same thing after it ended it is "better than Happy Town." Not sure if I will like it, but I definitely thought it had a better feel, better acting and writing than Happy Town -- though that might be faint praise. I thought the characters were fairly likable which I never felt with Happy Town, could not get into any of them.

But I will watch it to see how it goes.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Jul 10, 2010 @ 2:26 AM

I can't stand actually reading King books; the only one I read was where the guy got stuck in some tower and wrote a rescue note in his own blood, and even then, the book was free. But for some reason they translate to tv for me pretty well. Same thing for Dickens. You could shoot me before I'd actually read Bleak House, but my ass, I was in front of the tv for every episode. So I was interested in this show. I don't know anything about the book upon which this was based, but the commercials told me it was the Colorado Kid, and then it showed up in the newspaper article. So I guess we will learn more about that.

I like it when shows take a chance on little known (or no known) actors. It may take me a few episodes to warm up to them, but I will give them that chance.

This was also a draw for me. I thought everyone did a decent job across the board.

For a pilot, there's usually a lot going on. This one too; way, way too many characters involved. I'll still watch a few more episodes at least. I really liked the Dead Zone (until they switched showrunners), so I think they should be able to develop the characters well enough. I like Audrey's snappy dialogue, and she doesn't seem stupid, as in, character acts stupid for the plot to move along.

This was screaming, Quirky New England Town! But, really, I grew up in New England, and there are actually quirky little towns like this.

becks477

becks477

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 10, 2010 @ 8:15 AM

lovelyivy, I'm glad I'm not the only one distracted by Balfour's head, but it's the longness and thinness that get to me. The local PD dude is really tall and thin too, but a little better in the smouldering department.

I think the show has potential. There was some clunkiness, but a lot of pilots are that way. There's decent chemistry between the leads and I agree with DEM -- I like Audrey's (so, that's her name) snappiness.

AngelKitty

AngelKitty

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 10, 2010 @ 10:22 AM

I'm right with you mustbekarma. After reading a really bad review in TV Guide, I was prepared for much worse, so was pleasantly surprised.

As for Stephen King's works, I have to disagree with ganesh, I've always loved his books but thought they just don't translate well to the screen. After reading The Shining I wouldn't go into the bathroom without making sure the shower curtain was open first and the Tommyknockers made me fear the green glow of my answering machine time/date display eminating from the hallway. The film versions, not so scary.

Anyone know where this was actually filmed? It actually reminds me of Maine, having lived in Kennebunkport for 18 years.

Chancellor

Chancellor

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2010 @ 10:50 AM

I agree with Anlyn. This seemed a bit trite to me. A few posters elsewhere sort of compared this to ABC's The Gates. I'm guessing the aspect of a community containing a bunch of supernatural characters was why the comparison was made. The only thing for me was that The Gates (WHICH I LOVE) provided a pilot that was much more intense than the pilot for this show. I'll watch a few more episodes of this though, since it was only just the pilot.

Standoffish

Standoffish

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 10, 2010 @ 11:17 AM

Anyone know where this was actually filmed? It actually reminds me of Maine, having lived in Kennebunkport for 18 years.

Nova Scotia.

WeatherServo9

WeatherServo9

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 10, 2010 @ 12:06 PM

I have to agree with the consensus that this didn't really grab me. Though as has been said, it's a pilot, so I'm willing to cut it some slack. Although it felt like the pilot to yet another police procedural, which I assume it's not going to be at all.

Another thing is that it's yet another show about a quirky little town full of quirky little townspeople. So actually putting it on right after Eureka maybe isn't such a good idea. Although of course it's a much darker quirky little town, so maybe in the minds of the people who run the network formerly known as Sci-Fi that is enough difference.

And every time the two quirky, friendly newspaper guys showed up, I swear to Zeus I thought Lorelai and Rory Gilmore were going to walk into the scene.

I have to say that I actually groaned at the prospect of yet another small town cop/sheriff who doesn't have time for those crazy big-city shenanigans - you know, the shenanigans where you actually do your job and solve a case. There was a little spark of complexity with him kind of watching over his son at the end, so I hope the character is not as one-dimensional as he seemed at first glance.

Overall, I'll give it B+ for effort and hope that it gets better as time goes on. I find the underlying mystery of the main character interesting enough, and as long as it's on after something else I really want to watch (Eureka, Sanctuary, Warehouse 13 or SGU), I'll probably stick around for it.

NickyPick

NickyPick

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 10, 2010 @ 12:07 PM

I found I really liked the characters, but like others have stated, also found the plot a bit clunky. Hopefully it will pick up storywise as it goes along. Who was the guy who played Duke? He looked familiar. Kinda like Dan Cortese once upon a time.

AngelKitty

AngelKitty

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 10, 2010 @ 12:16 PM

Nova Scotia

Thanks, Standoffish, that explains why the boats look different.

sp23

sp23

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2010 @ 12:46 PM

Who was the guy who played Duke

Eric Balfour aka Jesse from BtVS. At least it looks like he made it past the pilot on this show. LOL

3headedmonkey

3headedmonkey

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2010 @ 5:00 PM

Audrey's voice bothered me a little too. The pitch is too high or nasally or pinched or something.

I imagine Emily Rose actually might be best known for her voice acting on the Uncharted games. It was very distracting but amusing having her work with another Nathan.

It wasn't as bad as all the reviews made it sound, but we'll see.

Edited by 3headedmonkey, Jul 10, 2010 @ 5:04 PM.

Ganymedeone

Ganymedeone

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 10, 2010 @ 5:07 PM

I love the setting for the show. Reminds me of where I went to school. The lead character had some great lines (and looked really good in the old photo) and is likable. The two brothers got on my nerves quickly. However I like Nathan a lot. And his relationship with Duke (probably just me, but they had some serious HOYAY going on). Didn't like the actual wrap up as much. In fact, other than Nathan's ability to not feel pain (or anything? He enjoys pancakes, or so he claims.), I found myself wishing this weren't on SYFY and didn't need those aspects. I'll be around next week though.

RudyRayMoore

RudyRayMoore

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2010 @ 5:14 PM

Hmmm. A twentysomething bottle-blond FBI agent, with a gaunt and mysterious black boss, who solves crimes with a supernatural twist while remaining perfectly coiffed.

I certainly hope the gang at Fringe are cashing their residual checks. Of course, the Fringe people should be paying The X-Files, so there's that.

OT, Haven was okay. Emily Rose showed some promise, and I liked the setting. I just wished they hadn't used the preternaturally perky Nicole de Boer, whom I have hated in every role she's ever had.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Jul 10, 2010 @ 6:39 PM

I just wished they hadn't used the preternaturally perky Nicole de Boer, whom I have hated in every role she's ever had.

Not unexpected, since it's from the Dead Zone folks. Look for an upcoming Chris Bruno cameo. (Kidding)

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2010 @ 6:44 PM

It wasn't as bad as all the reviews made it sound, but we'll see.

Actually, I thought this was surprisingly good.

The casting is great, the setting is great, and the script was at least passable. Some of the dialogue was a bit wonky, but nothing really that out of line.

angelsamongus

angelsamongus

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 10, 2010 @ 7:00 PM

The casting is great, the setting is great, and the script was at least passable. Some of the dialogue was a bit wonky, but nothing really that out of line.

Ditto for me ! Liked the premiere episode and will stick around .

Chancellor

Chancellor

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2010 @ 8:15 PM

Ironically, for me, it's the lead characters that bother me the most. They all just seem kind of, I don't know, bland maybe? And it's clear that one of them is nothing but a pretty boy. I get the feeling that that's mostly what he'll be about: flirting, being mischievous, and looking pretty. Still, I'll continue to watch and see if these characters become anything of great interest. I don't think it'll take me long at all to decide if this is a show I want to stick with. BTW, if all this turns out to be is another police procedural, then I will be INSTANTLY turned off! I hate those kinds of shows!

Edited by Chancellor, Jul 10, 2010 @ 8:39 PM.

sp23

sp23

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2010 @ 8:26 PM

just wished they hadn't used the preternaturally perky Nicole de Boer, whom I have hated in every role she's ever had.

I couldn't place that actress though I knew the face. When you supplied the name I looked her up on IMDb and found to my horror she was Sarah on Dead Zone. Die, Sarah, Die!!! LOL

However, I didn't hate her guest appearance on SGA, and I liked her here, so.... I got nothin'. *g*

Uncle Benzene

Uncle Benzene

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 11, 2010 @ 7:16 AM

I liked it. Enough that I resisted the urge to delete the pilot from the DVR. May or may not end up re-watching it, but not deleting it right away is a good sign at my house.

I'm looking forward to the Maine accents.

I've always liked Eric Balfour too (for reasons I can't really explain, but I do) and it looks like the Duke character is gonna be big fun.

The one thing that bugged me was Nathan's manner of speech. It was so monotone. Morose, even. I kept thinking "Dude, think you might care to inflect a little at some point?"

I thought the two newspaper brothers were extremely likeable, looks like they're gonna be fun characters too.

Better than Happy Town indeed. Faint praise, but you've gotta walk before you run.

Edited by Uncle Benzene, Jul 11, 2010 @ 7:16 AM.

marieelise0928

marieelise0928

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 11, 2010 @ 7:51 AM

And every time the two quirky, friendly newspaper guys showed up, I swear to Zeus I thought Lorelai and Rory Gilmore were going to walk into the scene.

Ha, this! Along the same lines, I might just stay for the TOWN itself - it is so scenic!

Overall, I enjoyed this one - I get the comparisons to Eureka, Fringe, and X-Files - but, I watch/ed all of those shows, and I think there's room for another sci fi show in my rotation. I think the two leads are good.. The guy is definitely attractive, and likable enough. The girl's got the right amount of attitude for me.

The plot? Mehhh... Like everyone's said, it was a pilot -- can't spend too much time on the plot of the week when you're trying to introduce all of the characters. Suffice it to say, I didn't care who did what to whom, and I laughed when FBI agent's solution was to hug the lady. Maybe I'm stone-cold, but I'm pretty sure the lady must have known she controlled the weather, she DEFINITELY obstructed an investigation, and I'd have booked her!

I think it's got potential - I like it a heck of a lot more than Warehouse 13, the last sci fi series premiere i tried to watch... Couldn't even get through the pilot of that one (Okay - I lied - Caprica is SyFy, isn't it? And I love that show)

FemaleViewer

FemaleViewer

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 11, 2010 @ 12:50 PM

The show definitely has potential so far but that Nathan guy has no personality whatsoever. Yes, he is a hottie and I know he is trying for that strong silent type guy, but on top of the monosyllabic thing he has going on, his delivery is given in somewhat of a monotone as well. He should really study Timothy Olyphant in Justified to learn how to be droll, and likable.

fifty8th

fifty8th

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2010 @ 1:44 PM

Just watched it, like the premise but hate the female lead.

Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2010 @ 4:16 PM

Well, it was definately not as bizarre as "Kingdom Hospital" was (giant mutant anteaters, OK?)

I could use some giant mutant anteaters. What this show is missing is a sense of mystery, strangeness and even terror. It is far too vanilla, nice and bland in that Eureka/Warehouse 13 way that skiffy seems to like so much nowadays. If they're going to settle in to a Freak of the Week formula, they need to do something to make those freaks memorable - a little Stephen King (which this show doesn't bear any resemblance to, so far) or even H.P. Lovecraft would be welcome.

Emily Rose is doing a nice job playing a believable FBI agent. Eric Balfour isn't the world's greatest actor, but at least his character adds some wild-card-ness to the mix, which this bland show desperately needs more of. The guy playing Deputy Wuoronos is dull as dirt. If he's going for the Timothy Olyphant type (as noted above), then he's got a long ways to go. Olyphant's characters have an undercurrent of barely restrained menace. Deputy Dull is walking sominex.

I'll give it another episode or two to find its feet and yes, it's better than Happy Town, but that's still not nearly enough to sell me. This is a bad, bad summer for sf/f shows.

CoderLady

CoderLady

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2010 @ 4:17 PM

The one thing that bugged me was Nathan's manner of speech. It was so monotone. Morose, even. I kept thinking "Dude, think you might care to inflect a little at some point?" Uncle Benzene

The show definitely has potential so far but that Nathan guy has no personality whatsoever. Yes, he is a hottie and I know he is trying for that strong silent type guy, but on top of the monosyllabic thing he has going on, his delivery is given in somewhat of a monotone as well. FemaleViewer

It started me thinking, "Can't feel pain? Obviously, can't feel anything."

I don't usually nitpick actors' performance choices or attributes, but Emily Rose's voice is fingernails-on-chalkboard quality when she gets loud. The scene where she's getting all up in Mr. Maintain the Perimeter's face made me want to hurt her to make it stop. It's not so bad when she's just being conversational, but I see judicious use of the "Mute" button in my viewing future.

On the whole, as others have observed it's not too bad, but suffers from being on right after Eureka, a much better-done quirky town show. I'll watch it because I hope for the rebuilding of SciFi Friday but if it turns Flash Gordon or Painkiller Jane bad, I'm out.

cmm226

cmm226

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2010 @ 4:43 PM

The lead actress is dry and booorrrrriiiinnngggg. I always try to give new shows a chance, esp. on channels like Sci-Fi, but dang, she is boring.

ETA: Chancellor, THANK YOU. bland is the word. Both leads, well, most of the what looks to be the recurring characters.

Edited by cmm226, Jul 11, 2010 @ 4:53 PM.

catray

catray

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2010 @ 6:26 PM

Just got done watching the pilot episode and.... meh. It's got potential, but I'm not completely sold yet. I'm not sure if I particularly like the main actress, but I don't hate her either. I'm intrigued enough to watch another couple of episodes before I make a final judgment, especially since it's a summer show.

SparksFan59

SparksFan59

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2010 @ 6:42 PM

I was surprised that I liked it so much, especially after the crapfest that was Happy Town.

I love the Chief of Police, as soon as I heard his voice I knew it was Nicholas Campbell from Da Vinci's Inquest. He's got a very distinctive voice, and I love his snarky attitude... "Oh, your meds just kicked in, did they?" :) I love me some snarky cop.

Luckylyn

Luckylyn

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2010 @ 10:28 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one to pick up on the Nathan and Duke Hoyay. I half expected to them to reveal that they used to date and had a messy break up. I kept getting a jilted ex vibe from Nathan.

I am enjoying the show more than I thought I would. This is definitely a step up from Flash Gordon.

Standoffish

Standoffish

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 13, 2010 @ 1:43 AM

Count me in the minority who liked Emily Rose in the lead. She seemed like a combination of Scully and Mulder in one person. The pilot didn't wow me, but I enjoyed it. Love the locale.

Ratings-wise, the pilot did well. 2.3 million, with a 2.5 million lead-in from Eureka.

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2010 @ 8:03 AM

Just watched it, like the premise but hate the female lead.

I kind of liked her. A few line reads were a bit haphazard, but surprisingly the ones she did well were what I'd normally consider the tougher ones--the comedy. She has a nice wry line delivery. It was actually the more over-dramatic moments she flubbed.