Haven

• Please log in to reply

6036 replies to this topic

SisterOfSylar

SisterOfSylar

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2010 @ 5:02 PM

Okay tried for the life of me to think of a creative title for the show, but apparently no creativity is sparking.

Newest show on Syfy based on a book from Stephen King.

One, I'm going to watch because of the Stephen King connection. Two: It's set in Maine, at least story wise, and I live in Maine and the state rarely gets showcased at all except in Stephen King's books.

Three, I loved Warehouse 13, and I think this may do well. Here are the articles pertaining to Haven:

Haven on Syfy

Stephen King Book on Syfy

A Little More Info

For those who don't want to click on the links, here's the basic gist of it so far:

Syfy's all-new one-hour drama series Haven, starring Emily Rose (Jericho, Brothers and Sisters) is based on the novella The Colorado Kid from renowned author Stephen King. The series follows the shrewd and confident FBI agent Audrey Parker (Rose) who has a lost past, and arrives in the small town of Haven, Maine on a routine case. Before long, her natural curiosity lands her in the epicenter of activity in this curious enclave, which turns out to be a longtime refuge for people that are affected by a range of supernatural afflictions.

As the townspeople's dormant abilities begin to express themselves, Audrey helps keep these forces at bay while discovering the many secrets of Haven including one surrounding her own surprising connections to this extraordinary place.

The impressive creative team behind Haven includes showrunner Scott Shepherd (Tru Calling, The Dead Zone) who is joined by E1 Entertainment's John Morayniss (Hung, Copper) Noreen Halpern (Hung, Copper), Laszlo Barna (The Bridge) and Michael Rosenberg (Hung, The Riches) as well as his partners, Executive Producers Lloyd Segan and Shawn Piller (The Dead Zone, Wildfire, Greek). The pilot was written by Sam Ernst (The Dead Zone) and Jim Dunn (The Dead Zone) who will also serve as executive producers on the series.

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2010 @ 6:19 PM

I have two qualms about this. First, I'm not a big fan of Stephen King, or at least his later works. Are the people from The Dead Zone from the beginning or the end seasons? I loved that show, and then they killed off Walt, and the show went downhill from there with me. I remember particularly despising the last season. If Scott Shepherd, LLoyd Segan, Shawn Piller, Sam Ernst, and Jim Dunn were the ones responsible for the last season, I don't think I'm going to give this show a chance. With my luck, it will start out awesome and end with a freaking whimper.

SisterOfSylar

SisterOfSylar

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2010 @ 7:46 PM

Looks like a mix of good and bad for you mustbekarma, I'll let you decide what's what though:

Shawn Piller- Did 81 episodes for Dead Zone, 2002-2007. He also directed as well, here's his IMDB credits: Shawn Piller

I'm not finding a Llyod Segan anywhere, just a Loren Segan that did work on Dead Zone (I think they screwed up the name) and Loren Segan worked on it from 2006-2007, just 4 episodes. Here's Segan's IMDB credits list: Loren Segan

Sam Ernst just did 2 episodes in the bad season 7- So I suppose that would be bad. Sam Ernst He doesn't have a lot to his name really

Jim Dunn did two episodes for season 7. And a couple other things: Jim Dunn

Scott Shepherd wrote one ep for Season 7 of Dead Zone and produced a few as well. But also did Quantam Leap it seems and tons of other stuff- Scott Shepherd

John Morayniss, Noreen Halpern, Laszlo Barna, and.. I'm still looking. Some of it may seem foreboding, but I'm just gonna hope at least it doesn't suck.

ETA:

Ah.. sorry then. Guess I went a little overboard.

Edited by SisterOfSylar, May 17, 2010 @ 8:09 PM.

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2010 @ 8:00 PM

All I wanted to know is who was the brainchild for killing Walt and season 7. I won't hold writing an episode or two against any of them. I just need to know the show-runners who orchestrated that hideous season aren't the same geniuses behind this one. If that was Shawn Piller's idea, and he's one of the executive producers for this show, I may have to give this show a miss.

I'll have to investigate the IMDB links.

ETA

I dun investigated those links, and Shawn Piller is credited as one of the asshats to write "Heritage," the episode that killed Walt. He also was on board for the rest of sucky season 7.

Yep. Shawn Piller's on my list of shows I won't watch if he's connected to it.

I tend to hold grudges for a long time.

Edited by mustbekarma, May 17, 2010 @ 8:06 PM.

mara

mara

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2010 @ 9:47 AM

mustbekarma - while I completely agree that Dead Zone's killing off Walt was a ridiculously bad choice, I think that the death of Michael Piller (Shawn's father) in 2005 had a lot to do with the subsequent failure of the series. I don't know if it was that Michael Piller was the most talented of the writer/producers, or if his loss just took the wind out of everyone's sails and left them without a clear leader/plan. But I also think it was one of those shows where they had written themselves into a corner -- like a show built on a 'will they or won't they hook up' premise where the writers have to go to increasingly ridiculous lengths to keep the characters from just getting it on already, the Dead Zone writers seemed to think that they had to keep teasing a resolution to the Apocalypse vision to the point where it was so convoluted you just didn't care if Johnny stopped the Apocalypse or not. I think by year 7 whatever passion the cast & crew originally had for the show was gone and they were just going through the motions.

Anyway, I have no idea whether or not Haven will be any good, but I will probably check it out. I didn't love "The Colorado Kid", but Piller & Fratto and some of the other writer/producers are credited on "Greek" which I do love, so, it might be a fun summer series.

SisterOfSylar

SisterOfSylar

Couch Potato

Posted May 26, 2010 @ 8:56 PM

A little bit new info on Haven, plus a promo:

Haven Promo

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted May 29, 2010 @ 10:34 AM

As long as it's better than Happy Town...

sedeyus

sedeyus

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2010 @ 1:51 AM

I find it very odd that is SyFy would decide to adapt the one novel of Stephen King that doesn't have any sci-fi or fantasy elements. It's very strange you pay money to adapt a novel, then completely rewrite the premise to where it doesn't even resemble the original work.

Iguana

Iguana

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2010 @ 11:52 AM

For my other Canadians out there who may care, Showcase has been running promos for Haven. Apparently it's "coming soon".

Arjumand

Arjumand

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2010 @ 12:15 PM

From your words to the gods of tv's ears - man, that was a pile of shit.

Re. Haven, I'm vaguely intrigued. Vaguely. Though wasn't Haven the town in The Tommyknockers, or have I completely mixed it up? It's been a few years since I read that book.

ETA Checked it out, and Haven was the town in The Tommyknockers, so WTF Sci-Fi channel? If you're going to gut a Stephen King novel and rearrange the entrails (sorry), then at least choose a town which hasn't been levelled in a crazy alien encounter "they were here all along!" disaster.

Though it could provide an alternative title for the thread: "Haven? We thought the Tommyknockers ripped that place apart", or something like that.

Edited by Arjumand, Jun 12, 2010 @ 8:50 AM.

SisterOfSylar

SisterOfSylar

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 12, 2010 @ 9:23 PM

I think because of the premise and the town name, they may have been doing a whole thing about the town being a 'haven' for those with the supernatural powers. If that makes sense. If it doesn't, just ignore that.

Some more links about the show as of recently:

TVByTheNumbers

Second Teaser Another promo video, a bit longer and more interesting.

Atropos

Atropos

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2010 @ 12:49 AM

Honestly.. nothing I've heard about the show so far remotely resembles Colorado Kid or any other work by King. In fact, it sounds more like Fringe meets Eureka, if anything.

I think the news people are just confused about the Colorado connection, since that book doesn't even take place in Haven (which is, indeed, the setting of the excellent, if underrated, The Tommyknockers), but rather on Little Tall Island, the setting of Delores Claiborne and Storm of the Century.

It *is* odd why that particular book would become associated with this series in the first place, since they're not even using the title for name recognition value. Maybe the show has something to do with the mystery of how the CK wound up on Little Tall in the first place, and they're just not playing up that angle for some reason?

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2010 @ 12:52 AM

I think the news people are just confused about the Colorado connection, since that book doesn't even take place in Haven (which is, indeed, the setting of the excellent, if underrated, The Tommyknockers), but rather on Little Tall Island, the setting of Delores Claiborne and Storm of the Century.

SpoilerTV.com DOES have some stuff which confirms the Colorado Kid connection. I won't specify in the clear what it is, but here behind the appropriate black bars...

Episode 1.02 - Consumed
Audrey remains in Haven to follow up on a clue to her own orphan past – an old photo from the local newspaper, of the infamous “Colorado Kid” crime scene, reveals a woman who could be her mother. But Audrey stumbles upon another mysterious event in town, when food, fields, and even livestock around Haven all begin to die, and she joins with Nathan to investigate what the source of the epidemic could be – and what’s really happening in this extraordinary place.

Read more: http://www.spoilertv...n#ixzz0rw0tQsgr

Also, outside the land of spoiler bars... there's this commercial:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=nTTb8jdUiH8

Since that's actually been aired... no spoiler tag needed, I guess. It's got Stephen King's name right in the commercial, as well as an overt mention of the Colorado Kid in the context of the show.

And this medium sized promo piece (do they even call these "commercials"? I think they just put these on the Sy-Fy website) has a LOT of mention of King and The Colorado Kid. Unlike the commercial, if you want to enter the show TOTALLY unspoiled you should probably skip this. It's got a lot of spoilerish stuff... even if this IS stuff Sy-Fy seems to want people to know if they visit their website:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Nqguwu3yxfI

But yeah. It DOES wind up sounding a lot more like a Supernatural version of Eureka than anything else... but they ARE claiming King and citing The Colorado Kid left and right. It's no "mistake" by anyone writing about this show.

Edited by Snark Shark, Jun 26, 2010 @ 12:54 AM.

pengbear

pengbear

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 26, 2010 @ 10:55 PM

I'm not a Stephen King fan-I've never read one of his books and seen but 2 of the movies-but I'll give this a shot.

In fact, it sounds more like Fringe meets Eureka, if anything.

If it continues down this path, I'm fine with it. I think most of Scifi's original tv series are pretty solid,
with the exception of Painkiller Jane. The Dead zone writers kind of worry me though. Plus Scifi has a habit of airing episodes out of order and interfering, so there is potential for disaster. Eh. Just have to wait and see.

DEM

DEM

Stalker

Posted Jul 8, 2010 @ 1:46 PM

I just watched a new sneak peek over at SpoilerTV, and I'm intrigued. I mean, that sneak peek made the quality of writing and acting seem better than what I've seen before. I'd already planned on checking this out, and even despite the meet-cute -- hinting at the slavishly obligatory romance angle -- I feel less wary than before.

sp23

sp23

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2010 @ 2:29 PM

I'm more than willing to give this show a chance. And I'm more excited about it than the return of Eureka. Ever since I heard that James Callis was cast, I've dreaded the new season. Not my favorite actor from BSG.

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2010 @ 2:16 PM

Well now, that sounds like a thread title.

I'll be checking this out tonight.

Anlyn

Anlyn

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 9, 2010 @ 9:59 PM

The actress reminds me of a cross between Jewel Staite and Julia Stiles. She doesn't have anywhere near the acting ability, though.

Was that Eric Balfour? I never can quite decide if I find him hot.

I wanted to like this, but it seems rather trite. I chuckled a few times, but I spent more time cruising the Internet than paying attention to the show. I might check out a few episodes down the road, but right now it's not enough to keep me interested.

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2010 @ 10:04 PM

I really loved this show, and I'm quite shocked. I absolutely adore Nathan, the Chief's son. All the characters were really fun, and I loved the sniping between Nathan, the FBI lady, and the pain in Nathan's ass.

Guess you can tell which character I liked the best--his name just sticks with me.

I'd say the subtitle for this thread should be: It's Definitely Better Than Happy Town.

Edited by mustbekarma, Jul 9, 2010 @ 10:05 PM.

sp23

sp23

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2010 @ 10:07 PM

I liked it. It's a little rough around the edges, but I found the characters likable enough and the story of the mystery surrounding her past interesting enough that I'll tune in next week. I don't expect it to be very original, but as long as it entertains me, I'll keep watching.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Jul 9, 2010 @ 10:09 PM

Meh. But it was a pilot and pilots are clunky. It was like a mashup of Fringe, Eureka and The X-Files. Hopefully they find their own voice soon. Eric Balfour's presence doesn't fill me with confidence, though.
Who played the chief? I know that guy and it's bugging thenhell out of me?

Twilight Man

Twilight Man

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 9, 2010 @ 10:19 PM

Well, it was definately not as bizarre as "Kingdom Hospital" was (giant mutant anteaters, OK?),

but it still had a bit of that Stephen King touch to make it interesting.

I think I'll stick around and watch this.

Seeing as though it's on a cable network, it doesn't need stellar ratings, so it will probably stick around as well.

sp23

sp23

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2010 @ 10:36 PM

AimingforYoko

I thought the Chief looked like Nicholas Campbell from Da Vinci's Inquest. Unfortunately IMDb doesn't have the full cast listing up yet so I may be wrong.

valsinger

valsinger

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 9, 2010 @ 11:57 PM

I wasn't going to watch this, but Mr. Valsinger wanted to, so I decided to give it a try. Some of the dialog made me laugh out loud. Mr. is still quoting the "You speak monosyllable" line. I thought the mystery of the weather-working was solved a little quickly, but I'm willing to cut it some slack.

TNLamb

TNLamb

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 10, 2010 @ 12:00 AM

I thought the Chief looked like Nicholas Campbell from Da Vinci's Inquest. Unfortunately IMDb doesn't have the full cast listing up yet so I may be wrong.

I just read an article on the show that confirms that.

Anyone have any thoughts on the connection between the road collapsing under the agent's car at the beginning and then the same thing happening, following her supervisor as he leaves?

Teitr Styrr

Teitr Styrr

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2010 @ 12:17 AM

I like it when shows take a chance on little known (or no known) actors. It may take me a few episodes to warm up to them, but I will give them that chance.

This was a pilot episode, so I will give it a few episodes as well.

Edited by Teitr Styrr, Jul 10, 2010 @ 12:18 AM.

DEM

DEM

Stalker

Posted Jul 10, 2010 @ 12:27 AM

I enjoyed it. I liked Special Agent Audrey Parker; she's got a unique communication style, and the actor brings to life that blend of gruffness & openness rather pleasingly.

The dialogue is snappy; just the right amount of humour. My biggest concern after the pilot is that they'll keep with the Moral of the Week format. That could get cheesy or tiresome very easily.

Do we suppose it was the Chief who Agent's boss called at the end? And was Boss Agent the cause of the sinkholes? (Speaking of which, kinda bummed to see that Maurice Dean Wint is only a guest star.)

Edited by DEM, Jul 10, 2010 @ 12:32 AM.

spiritone

spiritone

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 10, 2010 @ 12:34 AM

I just wanted to say Lucas Bryant is distractingly hot! Boy, I am so in on this show. For other Stephen King fans, I was actually struck by how great he would be to play Roland from the Dark Tower series.

lovelyivy

lovelyivy

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 10, 2010 @ 12:38 AM

This show was just ok- but I may have a skewed POV since I absolutely ADORED the Eureka opener, and this just looks ok in comparison.

I really liked the lead, Nathan was smoking hot (and Eric Balfour, despite his really abnormally large head, looked good too) and I am bored, ergo I will be giving this a shot.

Edited by lovelyivy, Jul 10, 2010 @ 12:44 AM.

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2010 @ 12:40 AM

It was okay so I'll give it a shot to find its footing. I liked the back and forth between Audrey and Nathan. I chuckled when she went for her badge, Nathan started to protest and she made the crack about "what, am I going to pull another gun?" - or something like that. I hope they don't go the triangle route with the two of them and the bad boy. I really hate triangles.

I also thought Audrey made the connection between that lady and the strange weather too easily.

Audrey's voice bothered me a little too. The pitch is too high or nasally or pinched or something. But I eventually adjusted to Kyra Sedgewick's southern accent on The Closer so I can get past it if I end up really liking this show.

Anyone have any thoughts on the connection between the road collapsing under the agent's car at the beginning and then the same thing happening, following her supervisor as he leaves?

I wondered about this too. Perhaps they both have the ability to cause it, though I guess it's not caused by extreme emotions like was the case with weather lady.