Dear Williamson & Plec, Et Al: Notes from the Ill & the Thrilled

• Please log in to reply

120 replies to this topic

TWoP Barnes

TWoP Barnes

TWoP Moderator

Posted May 16, 2010 @ 9:11 PM

Want to rant or rave at the writers? Have at it, here.

incandescentglo

incandescentglo

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2010 @ 9:41 PM

Ohh I've got a minor kiddie pool quibble, I get that this series is dark but does Ian have to be so much in the shadows most of the night scenes? Seriously the man is pretty I want to see his whole face ;)

Also kudos to those who pick out the music I love it!

kcblue86

kcblue86

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2010 @ 10:03 PM

Oh, I know. Next season, writers, please be nice to Matt and Jeremy. Don't kill off any women that they love, don't cause them severe physical or emotional pain, and please let them be involved in Tyler's werewolf storyline.

Edited by kcblue86, May 16, 2010 @ 10:05 PM.

blinky29

blinky29

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 16, 2010 @ 10:43 PM

Also please be nice to Caroline. Girl has been through enough already. I want her to get a backbone, a better bf and a better storyline.

LolaRuns

LolaRuns

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2010 @ 11:45 PM

Please have season 2 be as awesome as season 1 or even better. Do not submit to the sophomore curse. We love you all.

Edited by LolaRuns, May 16, 2010 @ 11:58 PM.

Spadada

Spadada

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2010 @ 11:50 PM

Stop killing all the edgy females! Otherwise, more of the same :)

Sylph

Sylph

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2010 @ 11:57 PM

Please stay the course of the three year plan you have mapped out. We'll be able to tell if you deviate (trust me, we will, fans do that). As much of a laundry list of things I want to see placed in the show, stay true to the vision of the show. We don't want a Rob Thomas situation to arise. Also, even out the character killing field on the show. The tally stands at most of the kickass women have been slaughtered compared to the men. Don't play favorites either on the characters in the writing room; that is essentially the fastest way to push the show into circling the drain.

If all else fails, get Ian to play bongos to soothe the souls of the writing staff. :)

Thanks for a great season. Here's to many more.

Lizardbeth J

Lizardbeth J

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2010 @ 4:19 PM

Now that Mark Pellegrino is unemployed with his roles on Supernatural and Lost done with. PLEASE bring him in as Alaric's brother! They look alike anyway, I need to keep him on my screen, and he can do the snarky deadpan, ancient, wise, and sympathetic evil like nobody else.

Or werewolf pack leader. Or vampire. Or something. I'm not picky, but I think he'd be PERFECT for the show!

Elli DC

Elli DC

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2010 @ 4:43 PM

Please stay the course of the three year plan you have mapped out. We'll be able to tell if you deviate (trust me, we will, fans do that).

Was this stated somewhere, or is there something where most shows tend to map out for 3 seasons, or am I just way confused on the inner workings of tv shows? How can we tell if they deviate? I'm honestly curious, as I've never paid attention to how and why shows get picked up or cancelled. I don't want to get too into any spoilers that exist, but if there's a certain 3 year plan, what is it? I can tell that Katherine may take up a lot of season 2, but then again we could be wrong about that, as we never know what these guys will give us. I'd like to see enough of Katherine in S2 for her to make a mess of things, but to always leave town before anyone can get her. Maybe have a big resolution in S3, if they get to go that far. I'd just like Katherine to be a dominant force to be reckoned with character, who does not get killed off like anyone else. Although, since technically Nina isn't a guest actor, they'd keep Katherine around?

Love

Love

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2010 @ 9:05 PM

Now that Mark Pellegrino is unemployed with his roles on Supernatural and Lost done with. PLEASE bring him in as Alaric's brother! They look alike anyway, I need to keep him on my screen, and he can do the snarky deadpan, ancient, wise, and sympathetic evil like nobody else.

Or werewolf pack leader. Or vampire. Or something. I'm not picky, but I think he'd be PERFECT for the show!

Funny you write this. I thought the same thing. I also need to see Josh Holloway on my screen again. I was thinking as some ancient vamp who could maybe mentor Damon. Kind of like a Marius/Lestat ship.

Sylph

Sylph

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2010 @ 9:23 PM

*cough* Henry Ian Cusick *cough*

Elli DC, it was taken from this interview:

PW: When did you start plotting out a second season?
Kevin: As soon as they [renewed] us, we started mapping out the second and third season. And when I say mapping out, I mean, we’d say “that’d be great in season three after we do this." Once we start talking globally like that, the pieces fall into place. We’ve got long term goals in regards to arcs, but then we also have short term immediate plans.

We don't know what the three year plan is yet; KW and company are not about to show their hand to us that quickly. It'd kill the suspense. We're just going to have to wait and see what they have planned while suffering from VD withdrawl in the process.

Generally, you can usually tell when a plot has been dropped during the season because of the buildup to a payoff never comes or a plot hole comes to exist. KW is usually very good with continuity and cohesion in his stories. If a story that he and JP writes doesn't get to manifest itself for viewing purposes, he knows how to downplay it and sweep it under the rug. We (as the viewer) can sense there was something that was supposed to happen but don't understand why it was done (see: Harper's character). Another example would be the case of Bonnie missing for three episodes with throwaway explanation of where she was. There was supposed to be a side story with Bonnie and her cousin to delve into learning about her powers. We didn't get to see this because it had to be dropped for the other competing stories heading into the finale. I don't know if that will even be touched upon in season two.

Dear crew: you pick out awesome songs to go with the episodes. I want to bake your music director cookies.

Edited by Sylph, May 19, 2010 @ 9:25 PM.

jediylva

jediylva

Video Archivist

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 8:46 AM

Funny you write this. I thought the same thing. I also need to see Josh Holloway on my screen again. I was thinking as some ancient vamp who could maybe mentor Damon. Kind of like a Marius/Lestat ship.

Hey! I was just coming here to write the same thing! (I guess great minds think alike :))
My initial thought was that Mark Pellegrion should be related to Damon in some way, since they both have this blue blue intense eyes, maybe his mothers siblings grand grand child or something. Or his mothers brother turned vampire. But I like your suggestions too, wise and ancient mentor, hot friend to Alaric, whatever, he's awsome, could bring some sense of maturity and needs to be on Vampire Diaries!

Edited by jediylva, May 20, 2010 @ 8:47 AM.

Lizardbeth J

Lizardbeth J

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 12:45 PM

LOL! Well, surely if at least three of us have thought of it, it must have occurred to someone on the show. Especially when Julie Plec knows the LOST showrunners (there was an interview where she talked to someone over there about Ian before she hired him) so there's already a connection there.

He could be an old mentor of Stefan's since I suspect he had someone help him with his Vamp Vegan lifestyle. His Vampire AA Sponsor, in other words, coming to check on him. And he could try to convert Damon, and then smack him around a bit when he gets annoying.

Elli DC

Elli DC

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 12:49 PM

fengshoe said this over in the Paul Wesley as Stefan thread, but I think it bears repeating here:

At the beginning of the series when I was still unsure about it, one thing I do remember remaking on that I enjoyed was that Stefan didn't come off like your typical broody vamp. He had the ability to live a life and form relationships outside of his love interest. And I think the writers sort of lost track of Stefan's character toward the end, though he did get a great arc with the addiction storyline. I really want to see Stefan develop friendships, he had a nice one going with Matt and he has great chemistry with Bonnie. Though my favorite potential friendship would be with Caroline, I think their contrasting personalities would be great to watch and we could see some of the Stefan that Lexi described. But I don't care really who he makes friends with, just give the boy some friends and activities to do that don't always involve Elena.

Pretty please, writiers? Seriously, Stefan joining the football team in Friday Night Bites and being friendly with Matt was the first episode of this show that I saw, and it cemented the awesomeness of the show to me, and proved beyond a doubt that this was not Twilight 2.0, and was really a show worth watching. It's usually hard to identify with the brooding, animal blood drinking main vampire, but it started off so well that I gave Stefan a chance,and was pleasantly surprised. Don't forget about what you did in the early beginning, some of it was great!

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 7:11 PM

Dear Williamson,

Thank you for reminding me why the first three seasons of Dawson's Creek were so good. Keep up the good work.

-MA05

blinky29

blinky29

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 8:50 PM

just give the boy some friends and activities to do that don't always involve Elena.

I second, third and fourth this. Paul Wesley is such an amazing actor and Stefan has so many layers. Please don't lose those layers in the love triangle that seems to be coming up. Nice boys don't have to be boring. I love Stefan when he does humour and sarcasm. And drunk dancing!!!

More laughing, humouring and dancing for Stefan please... and not just with Elena.

Lizardbeth J

Lizardbeth J

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 9:07 PM

Nice boys don't have to be boring.

YES! Just because he's a good guy and not terribly happy to be a vampire, doesn't mean he has to sit there in the corner. Let Stefan recover his confidence, have some fun, help people who need help, make some friends, and kill some bad guys. Make sure he gives as good as he gets with Damon.

Various states of undress would also be acceptable!

Hamnoo

Hamnoo

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2010 @ 9:00 AM

I love that we saw over the course of season one that TV Bonnie is actually quite similar to Book Bonnie, except that TV Bonnie turned strong and badass at the end, which still does not destroy her previous character development. Cudos!
She is fun-loving (check), sweet (check), falls just as easily for boys as she can forget them the next moment (check), and in the beginning everything supernatural was simply too much for her (check) so that she needed being taken care of (check). And even though TV Bonnie has a lot more power than Book Bonnie, TV Bonnie also got possessed (which is all Book Bonnie does - she's psychic, not a witch) once.
Making her then badass without making it seem unbelievable ... so good. And even better if we see more of her flighty and fun-loving approach to boys in season 2, because a) not everyone can have/ want to have a Love forever like Elena/Stefan and b) I really want to see Bonnie have some romance/ fun. And please not Matt or Tyler, or at the most have her appreciate their butts like she did with Stefan in the Pilot.

And please, please, please let some vampires live on the show, even if they're
- not the Salvatore Brothers
- female
- "grown-up"
- powerful.
No, not even if. Especially if.
Yes, that includes the likes of Pearl of Lexie, not Anna. As much as I liked her, I can understand her need to be killed of since her story with Jeremy then repeated the tragic of Pearl and the elder Gilbert. But Pearl and Lexie, nah uh, show. And I'll be seriously pissed if you do anything like that again.

ETA:

Meredith soon, please? I think we can use a strong human who likes to use guns and wry humor and isn't fazed by Damon. And I think it's still possible to make her a unique character, even though many of her traits/ story beats already went to Elena and Jenna.
Maybe she will be the female version of Alaric on the show, winning viewers over as fast as he did?

Oh and preemptively: Don't create super-villains that want to either rule the earth or destroy it. Booring.

Also, while you're at it:
I really, really want to see that Katherine church burning to the ground, and I don't even care how long I'll have to wait for it, but I want to see it. Make it a Katherine flashback episode, an Emily episode or another Stefan and Damon 1864-centric flashback episode, I don't care. I want to have an episode finale in which I can see the church burning to the ground, preferably with the episode also showing us
- the exact deal that Damon and Emily made
- Katherine getting away from her doom
- and maybe the exact moment when Katherine earned Emily's loyalty. I don't know, this really calls to one or maybe even more Katherine/ Emily centric episodes to me. Featuring Anna, Pearl and Harper. (Hopeful yay?!)
Generally: It's nice if you tell us before showing us, but you still have to actually show us, people. Fire pretty.

Edited by Hamnoo, May 25, 2010 @ 5:32 PM.

jediylva

jediylva

Video Archivist

Posted May 29, 2010 @ 12:03 PM

So, is there even a remote chance that Plec and Williamson actually would read this forum?

I have said this before in the Uncle John thread, but I'd like to repeat it. I would really really like him to stay alive. I think he brings some balance to the show as a human that knows about vampires, but hates them (not as the counsel that never have met a real vampire). I'm also very curious how a relationship between him and Elena would evolve, I think she needs a parental figure in her life. I would also like to know how long Uncle John have known about his daughter and if he'd intended to make himself known to her after her parents died?
Plus, I love David Anders and want him on my screen a lot more!

Hamnoo

Hamnoo

Couch Potato

Posted May 30, 2010 @ 4:06 AM

So, is there even a remote chance that Plec and Williamson actually would read this forum?

I'm gonna go with No, though of course there will always be a chance, since some show's writers have been known to read the recaps AND parts of the forum (e.g. Veronica Mars). It's just that we've never heard any of that from the TVD writers.
That's not what this thread is to me, though. I just like to have some place where I can put my thoughts and fears and wishes for this show combined, because if I don't write them down my head might explode. ;) Also:

Want to rant or rave at the writers? Have at it, here.

Well, exactly. Whoever said they need to hear us for it?

I agree with you about John, though I'd be happy to see if Jenna finally adapted to the parent role and Sheriff Forbes only got a little bit more fierce. I'd say, circumstances considered, she is competent already, only everything keeps working against her.

Edited by Hamnoo, Jul 9, 2010 @ 5:56 AM.

JennyLiz

JennyLiz

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 12:27 PM

I would also like to know how long Uncle John have known about his daughter and if he'd intended to make himself known to her after her parents died?

I actually liked how much of an ass Uncle John was. He knew all along (of course) that he was Elena's father, and he made no effort to connect with her. The only vaguely parental thing he said about Elena was agreeing with Isobel that, as their daughter, she shouldn't have this life. We really only saw him trying to get closer to Jeremy. I don't want Uncle John getting all emo about his daughter. She's been his daughter her whole life and he never cared before. Her parents have been dead for a year and he hasn't tried to contact her since then. Why should he start caring now?

Morrigan8472

Morrigan8472

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 5:51 PM

I would really really like him to stay alive. I think he brings some balance to the show as a human that knows about vampires, but hates them (not as the counsel that never have met a real vampire). I'm also very curious how a relationship between him and Elena would evolve, I think she needs a parental figure in her life. I would also like to know how long Uncle John have known about his daughter and if he'd intended to make himself known to her after her parents died?
Plus, I love David Anders and want him on my screen a lot more!

I would rather they use the parental figure they have already (Jenna) before they start on to newer and shinier ones, especially ones that already are dead to me. But Anders never really appealed to me physically even on Alias (fivehead and nonexistant lips plus the bad boy charm that Sark supposedly had doesn't work on me) so that may be clouding my judgment.

My wish? Don't make Jeremy a vampire. Two pseudo teen emo boy vampires is already pushing it and the only thing that stops it from being much too much is Stefan's complexity and Damon's snark. Throw Jeremy into that and it becomes THAT kind of show. You want to make someone a vampire? Go with Caroline or better yet, JENNA. I would love to see someone older (comparatively) deal with the prospect of eternal life and give Sara Canning actual material to work with other than being the ineffectual parent figure following Alaric around like a kicked puppy; plus it would have to lead to a Jenna/Isobel fight which any way you cut it will be awesome.

fengshoe

fengshoe

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 6:56 PM

I actually liked how much of an ass Uncle John was. He knew all along (of course) that he was Elena's father, and he made no effort to connect with her. The only vaguely parental thing he said about Elena was agreeing with Isobel that, as their daughter, she shouldn't have this life. We really only saw him trying to get closer to Jeremy. I don't want Uncle John getting all emo about his daughter. She's been his daughter her whole life and he never cared before. Her parents have been dead for a year and he hasn't tried to contact her since then. Why should he start caring now?

I don't know about that, John did clearly try to connect to who he thought was Elena in the finale. I don't think it can be stated with any certainty that he doesn't or never did care about Elena. The impression I got was that John kept his distance from Elena because it wasn't easy being around her knowing the truth and she didn't. It would of course be much easier to bond with Jeremy when that relationship doesn't have that extra complication. If Elena had known years ago John was her biological father their relationship could be radically different.

Personally, I would love to see John stick around as I feel killing him is yet another example of the show wasting a character's potential. Elena just found out the truth, where would that relationship go? What about his relationship with Jeremy in light of the events of the finale? And to see his continuing role in the town and I found his relationship with Isobel to be delightfully twisted. And I like the idea of a character with a larger presence on the show still hating vamps, I loved Pearl and Anna but I don't fault John for killing them. He was protecting the town and sees vampires as the bad guys, and he's not completely wrong in that thinking, so while I think the show wanted me to see him as a villain to some extent, I don't. I do think the character was mishandled a bit though, for instance he was supposed to be able to go toe to toe with Damon and that only lasted one episode.

JennyLiz

JennyLiz

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 8:51 PM

I don't know about that, John did clearly try to connect to who he thought was Elena in the finale.

I didn't view that scene as Uncle John trying to connect with Elena. The whole conversation they had was about Isobel; how John felt about her, how he never would have sent her to be turned if he knew that's what she intended, etc. I've only seen John show emotion for Jeremy and Isobel.

The impression I got was that John kept his distance from Elena because it wasn't easy being around her knowing the truth and she didn't

If they were trying to convey to the audience that John stayed away from Elena because it was difficult to be around her, knowing that he's her father, then they completely failed with me. MMV of course, but I got no sense of emotion on John's part w/r/t Elena.

fengshoe

fengshoe

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 11:27 PM

I didn't view that scene as Uncle John trying to connect with Elena. The whole conversation they had was about Isobel; how John felt about her, how he never would have sent her to be turned if he knew that's what she intended, etc. I've only seen John show emotion for Jeremy and Isobel.

And Isobel is Elena's biological mother, I saw the scene as him trying to break the ice so to speak starting by talking a little about his relationship with Isobel, which led to Elena. And the scene ends before Katherine cuts off his fingers with him asking if he could help her in the kitchen. I do think they could've shown more emotion from John towards Elena, again another thing they mishandled about the character, but I do think they've shown a discomfort he has around her which is what led to my impression as to why he has remained distant.

Hamnoo

Hamnoo

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 8, 2010 @ 4:56 AM

Preemptively:

Do not kill characters only to replace them with new ones that are curiously similar. You risk that by killing all your guest stars at such a high rate. And if that happens, the viewers will be gone in an instant. Example: We're all dreading that with the introduction of the new Lockwood character/ cousin of the mayor. (Or I guess we are, judging from the Spoilers thread)

Hamnoo

Hamnoo

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2010 @ 6:33 PM

About Caroline:
What I really want to see, and the chances of it happening are there: Caroline finding out about Damon controlling her. Finding out about why Bonnie and especially Elena kept secrets from her. Getting over her insecurities in consequence. Calling Elena on her shit.
And the last one not in a throwaway mention but in a big damn spotlight scene. Because I love Elena and everything, but this desperately needs to be done. Elena is obviously being played as "the moral one" but with her only caring about Damon's (and everyone else's) morals for longer than one second if it directly concerns herself (Jeremy, e.g.) is getting on my nerves. Make it official, make it a character trait, but don't hush it over.

Also: How about a female friendship given the same screentime as Damon/Alaric, Jeremy/Tyler, and positively in the future Matt/Stefan and Damon/Jeremy?? We barely see Caroline/Bonnie and almost every Bonnie/Elena scene concerns something other or is only there if there is another character to round it off. We love the bromances, but ...

ALSO: DON'T KILL CAROLINE. Pleasethanx. :) If you do, I might just have to break up with this show (and maybe keep up a casual friendship because I couldn't handle a clean break but you get the gist.) The reasons are obvious. If you don't kill her, I'll salute and curtesy and obsess over you like Damon does.

Edit:
Congrats on the amazing season 2 opener. You definitely didn't lose your game over summer!

Edited by Hamnoo, Sep 16, 2010 @ 8:40 AM.

kcblue86

kcblue86

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2010 @ 7:22 PM

Please don't kill Matt. Or make him Caroline's chew toy.

Don't let Jeremy and Elena forgive Damon too quickly. I'm not saying they can't ever forgive him, but don't let that damage be undone without a big gesture on Damon's part. Like life-saving big.

Also, give Jeremy and Katherine a scene together. Because that would really creep Jeremy out and I think Katherine would really enjoy that.

Edited by kcblue86, Sep 13, 2010 @ 7:26 PM.

Hamnoo

Hamnoo

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 16, 2010 @ 8:44 AM

Please don't kill Matt. Or make him Caroline's chew toy.

I don't have a problem with him being killed (by Caroline), especially if this means that he is the big main character death and a female supernatural is finally left alone. Matt, to me, has become a bit boring.
But I wouldn't know about the chew toy thing. I don't expect it to happen because now it seems a bit OOC for both.

minneapple

minneapple

Stalker

Posted Sep 16, 2010 @ 1:34 PM

Dear Kevin Williamson and Julie Plec,

I will sacrifice anything you want and send you chocolate if you just don't write a love triangle.

Thanks, minneapple