Outcasts - Living On Planet BBC

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

81 replies to this topic

Wyldemusick

Wyldemusick

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2010 @ 3:54 PM

A sci-fi series which sees humans attempt to populate another planet is being filmed for the BBC.

Among the Outcasts stars are Ugly Betty's Eric Mabius and Spooks actress Hermione Norris.

Currently filming in South Africa, the eight-part series will be set on the fictional Carpathia in 2040.

The series opens with a group of pioneers waiting to welcome other settlers to the planet, who will hopefully bring news of Earth.

Outcasts, which is due to screen on BBC One later in the year, has been created by Spooks writer Ben Richards.

Other actors joining the cast include Jamie Bamber, who appeared in cult US series Battlestar Galactica, and rapper-turned actor Ashley Walters, who recently starred in the BBC adaptation of Small Island.

Ben Stephenson, controller of BBC drama commissioning, said: "Outcasts is a richly intelligent, character led drama full of big ideas about what it is to be human told through thrilling and surprising stories that could only appear in this show."

BBC press release here.

Jamie Bamber's back to skiffy, Hermione Norris following up Spooks, and Eric Mabius. This could either be spectacular, or it could be a disaster. It'll be interesting to see, though with the BBC's budgets I expect not so many visual effects and complex sets, meaning story and character will have to carry it.

VioletVisions

VioletVisions

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2010 @ 5:12 PM

Sounds like a spiritual successor to too-different-for-its-time Earth 2. With the BBC it might actually have a chance of telling its story without being mangled (NBC aired the episodes out of order) and then killed early. With the current dearth of intelligent scifi and no big franchise behemot to go up against (Stargate Universe doesn't count - most people seem to watch it because of bile fascination), maybe now such a show will have more success?

catray

catray

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2010 @ 6:19 PM

I loved Earth 2 and I love Jamie Bamber so I'm all over this.

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2010 @ 6:28 PM

I loved Earth 2 and I love Jamie Bamber so I'm all over this.

Me, too. I'm going to have to check this show out. I also love Eric Mabius. Of course, this being the BBC, those characters are doomed to die. I think it's a rule you have to kill your characters off after one season. Maybe I just talked myself out of this one.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted May 18, 2010 @ 11:08 AM

Stargate Universe doesn't count - most people seem to watch it because of bile fascination)

Which I do.

But this show seems like it could be cool. I'm all for new (good) sci fi. Plus, if the production is anywhere near as good as Charlie Jade (also set in South Africa) it should look super cool.

Edited by ganesh, May 18, 2010 @ 11:09 AM.

zombygirl

zombygirl

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2010 @ 1:51 PM

I'm in, both Jamie Bamber and Eric Mabius? It's like they cast the show just to get me to watch it. They love me. :)

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted May 18, 2010 @ 4:03 PM

I'll be in my bunk!

I'm hoping this is good. We need more scifi on televsion. Any scifi. Please!

KateL

KateL

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 26, 2010 @ 8:02 PM

Resurrecting this thread as Outcasts is scheduled to be part of BBCA's supernatural Saturday. It will follow Primeval and like Primeval it seems Outcasts will be shown at the same time as the UK where it's tipped to start in February 2011

This has a great cast and a good premise. I hope it lives up to expectations.

Edited by KateL, Dec 26, 2010 @ 8:03 PM.

tweety27

tweety27

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2011 @ 1:07 AM

Bumping this due to the premiere tonight. Did anyone catch it? What do you think?

Tolteca

Tolteca

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2011 @ 1:24 AM

I enjoyed it. It had pilotitus a bit as it had a lot of characters and backstory to set up. But, hey, Roz from Spooks, Jim from Ashes to Ashes, Daisy from Being Human and Lee from BSG and that question asked at the end was enough to get me back next week to see how it settles in.

John Shade

John Shade

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 8, 2011 @ 8:04 AM

@Tolteca - episode 2 is on tonight (Tues 8th Feb) at 9 on BBC1. I don't know if this Mon+Tues double-header is the regular schedule going forward. Probably not, because the series would be over in about 3 weeks.

I thought it was okay, but the sci-fi setting is almost incidental really. Maybe over the coming weeks there'll be what I think of as proper sci-fi themes and plots.

Over the past week I've seen a few interviews with cast and crew where they seemed at pains to decry the show's sci-fi status. I hate it when that happens. I want sci-fi to be sci-fi, and for those involved in its production to be all "Yeah, it's a sci-fi show". When they start denying it, you've got to wonder if all you're going to get is a standard clutch of weekly dramas set in space.

And the script is strong in parts (it starts really well, with characters sketches and interesting incidents aplenty), but weak in others. Stupid in others, such as two key elements of episode 1:

When the two security officers seeking to detain Hoban - a known armed and dangerous, possibly insane fugitive - just stroll up to him without their weapons drawn, all so there can be some 'exciting' gunplay and tension. I physically cringed at the idiocy of the writing for that whole confrontation.

It's going to be amusing to have the American character as a baddie, an inversion of the usual state of affairs on TV for the past 25 years. I wasn't impressed by his calm diabolical stare to camera in the escape shuttle. It was very 'TV drama'-esque. I think he should have been screaming and freaking out along with everyone else. If there are going to be many moments such as these, I won't stick around.

Edited by John Shade, Feb 8, 2011 @ 8:05 AM.

Llanita

Llanita

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 8, 2011 @ 1:11 PM

Mixed reaction to the first ep ... found the dialogue pretty clunky and expositionary, with people telling each other backstory all the time, both about each other and about the situation. The characters didn't seem fleshed out beyond general "types" yet, and wasn't impressed by some of the acting (Hermione Norris was *too* repressed IMO, and the "Tipper Malone" character didn't convince me at all). Jamie Bamber was pretty good, though unfortunately his character has been killed off. And do really like Amy Manson, although couldn't help comparing the material she had to work with against Being Human in which she really shone, and even the pretty silly-but-fun Desperate Romantics, in which she achieved some real pathos at times.

That said, the setting was pretty great, the premise is intriguing especially the conflicts with the other groups & the mysterious virus and the ending of the episode had some good tension & emotion. Was getting quite a Battlestar Galactica-ish vibe off the whole thing, but this series seems to be more optimistic, which to me is a good thing as I found BSG's worldview a little too dark and cynical in the end. It's an ambitious project & I really want to love it: am definitely going to keep watching at least for a couple more episodes, & hopefully to the end.

Btw, just wanted to say YAY at the Earth 2 love here!! =D Adored that series, but so few people I know seem to remember it! Was a real shame it got cancelled, it had so much promise & the world in it could have done with so much more exploring.

Llanita

Llanita

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 10, 2011 @ 1:33 PM

So, did anyone watch ep 2? What did you guys think?

Thought the dialogue was still quite dire at times, apart from "We are the aliens on Carpathia" which was a nice touch. Am still not very invested in the characters, apart from maybe Fleur. And did find many echoes of BSG, eg. the baby, and Dr Berger.

However, the world they've created is still intriguing: the ACs dilemma, the mysterious virus, Carpathia itself. Will continue watching to see how it unfolds, expect there'll be a few surprises along the way!

antmoose

antmoose

Couch Potato

• Interests:Reading, writing, no 'rithmetic. Exile from the North American zeitgeist but with my nose pressed right up against the glass, which is probably that annoying smear on your computer screen that you can't get rid of, no matter what spray you use.

Posted Feb 10, 2011 @ 7:35 PM

I enjoyed both episodes, and agree about the Battlestar Galactica vibe, which is no bad thing. Bad thing: no shirtless Jamie Bamber, and then no Jamie Bamber at all. I found the show managed to keep the level of tension high all the way through both episodes, and I can't wait to find out what will happen next. So I guess I'm in.

Effra

Effra

Couch Potato

• Interests:History, science fiction, football (English), Dickens, London, Italy.

Posted Feb 12, 2011 @ 7:31 AM

I thought that the first episode was pretty poor and the second a lot better. The first episode was kind of a guide to how not to do an opening episode of a science-fiction show. It didn't introduce the world in a controlled way. For most of the episode the ship from earth seemed to be there so that there could be a lot of exposition via dialogue between Richard and the guy in command of the ship. There was too much happening with the Mitchell story before characters had been properly introduced and then they spent all that time explaining about a character they then kill off. (I thought Bamber was quite good, but I do think that he has problems with the way he delivers lines at times and his accent at times was wandering around all over the place.)

The second episode used the stunning landscape far more effectively, made much better use of Richard and Stella, generally gave a better sense of who the characters are, and made it much clearer what thematically the story might be about. I thought that the second had quite a strong Battlestar vibe to it even to an almost word for word Cavil line about the importance of the baby. The one thing that didn't improve was the Fleur character. She is badly written and poorly and annoyingly acted. It's hard to figure out what she's saying half the time. I really hope that her role in the whole thing is not going to be the supposed conscience of the story. I will tire of that extremely quickly.

Amelie06

Amelie06

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2011 @ 5:39 PM

I saw the pilot and I don't think I'll be back for seconds. I just thought it was kind of dull. They didn't seem to be terribly futuristic or on another planet. That just left me with a bunch of people whining and yelling at each other in South Africa. If I'm to watch something like that, it should at least be about apartheid so I can say I learned something.

I think more of the focus should have been on everyone pulling together to try to save that ship. As it stands, I didn't care about any of the characters so the murder/manhunt fell flat for me. Also, a big draw for me was Jamie Bamber. I realized about 10 minutes in that his character was batshit crazy and unlikely to survive the episode. I don't know why they hired a man as hot as Jamie Bamber, flew him down to SA, and then only used him for one episode! I like Eric Mabius as much as the next girl, but he is no Jamie Bamber. I also didn't appreciate Mabius' stare of douche (doom?) at the camera. It just seemed over the top. I got the feeling that if the scene hadn't ended he would have started with evil "mwhaha" laughter. I feel like Hermione Norris tends to play this kind of character, and I'm growing weary. I'm sure her characterization will improve, but I don't know that I'm willing to stick around to find out more. Is it wrong that I hated the opening and closing with the little orphan who was obsessed with tigers?

I was really looking forward to this show and I found it to be underwhelming. I'll take heed that the second episode is supposed to be better and maybe give it another shot.

Reraizure

Reraizure

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 18, 2011 @ 5:51 AM

Aaaaaaaand it's dead Jim. Great, another SciFi series I liked being buried. Really, can we make a survey how many scifi series were hastily buried without proper resolution? The numbers have to be staggering.

Wyldemusick

Wyldemusick

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 18, 2011 @ 9:02 PM

It actually managed to do worse than another BBC serious science fiction project, PARADOX, which aired last year and ended on a cliffhanger and without resolving the story. THE DEEP, which did resolve, did much better, but was, frankly, rubbish.

raisin3cookies

raisin3cookies

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 19, 2011 @ 10:13 AM

It's a Soap Opera in Space. Gah. I was hoping for some alien stuff at some point, but all we get is vague references to Earth and a budding romance.

Why even bother?

Reraizure

Reraizure

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 20, 2011 @ 7:28 AM

It''s not that I was raving at the best since since B5 or BSG but it had lots of truly amazing potential. The mysteries about the planet were slowly but steadily popping up (the "Solaris" effect, as I like to call it), the different fractions (Government, ACs, Religious Guy) were interesting and shades of gray (e.g. the ACs are not simply poor gentle giants but rather clearly intent on destroying the colony) and above all: it gave me the feeling that it all had a clear course and would not get tangled like Lost did.

It's really depressing to think about the alternatives for an arc based show a scifi fan has to put up: The Event (is this thing still on?), V (why God, why is this abomination still alive?) ... anything else I miss? Fringe, as far as I know is tetering on the edge ... so yeah.

antmoose

antmoose

Couch Potato

• Interests:Reading, writing, no 'rithmetic. Exile from the North American zeitgeist but with my nose pressed right up against the glass, which is probably that annoying smear on your computer screen that you can't get rid of, no matter what spray you use.

Posted Feb 27, 2011 @ 7:55 PM

Hey, it hasn't gone off the air yet!

This episode had me staring. Was that... HELEN CUTTER, the late and unlamented, from Primeval? Why, I do believe it was. Two of her.

This show is setting up far too many mysteries for anything to get resolved in the two episodes remaining. And Eric Mabius is too villainous. And, and, and. And yet I like the show a lot.

Wyldemusick

Wyldemusick

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2011 @ 7:10 PM

Out with a whimper, not a bang, as the final episode aired and was followed at lightning speed with the cancellation announcement. The final episode has overnight audience figures of a bit over 1.5 million, and overall it did worse than the late unlamented Paradox.

Mikita

Mikita

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2011 @ 7:40 PM

Alright, caught this on BBC America. Tuned in because it had Jamie Bamber in it.

Plus is I got to see the Bamberceps that we don't get to see in Law and Order UK.

Minus is they killed him off in the first episode. I'm out.

Why BBC America is showing us a series that has eight hours and was cancelled is beyond me. It's not a good show.

Sonicsean34

Sonicsean34

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2011 @ 8:27 PM

I totally agree, saw around 3 eps when it aired here in the UK and just could not care beyond that. Many shows have had high profile actors appear only in the pilot so that people will give it a chance (Robert Patrick in Stargate Atlantis for example) but this show did it in the most terrible way possible.

In every science fiction magazine article leading up to the premier it was pretty much focused on Bamber, to the point where I and a friend referred to it as "that Jamie Bamber show" leading to a text i sent after the first ep of "so yeah, that Jamie Bamber show...hmmm" what is worse is that they spent all that time in the pilot building him up and barely focused on the other characters, in fact months later I can barely remember them, all I remember is "slightly dirty-hot irish guy", "pudgy male cop, who's name may or may not be cromwell" "girl with curly hair who should have been back in being human instead of this trash" oh and "Generic angry black man stereotype army friend of Bamber" and that is still probably informed by what i remember from the next two episodes, so how can only guess who bad it was if i were to rewatch the pilot.

After the first episode i stumbled upon the original pitch for the show which was far more interesting, though they tried to salvage that original idea in the next couple of episodes it was very wasted.

All in all a disappointing allocation of money and Bamber! I was shocked when i saw review threads bumped on other boards today, cos really why would anyone show a show this bad that is already dead (reminds me of when some Anime company in japan produced an adaptation of the manga bus gamer... a manga that had been already cancelled after only a handful volumes, leading to an anime with barely a 3 ep pilot and no more story)

I should probably be great-full that at least this show was only merely disappointing. When i heard the ITV show Demons had been shown in America I shook my head as that show was so bad unleashing it upon countries outside the UK could be rightly considered an act of war on our part since it should have been our duty to burn every master tape! When i saw that show come out on dvd i laughed when i noticed it had no extras, just the episodes and STILL they expected us to pay for them instead of the other way round! I do not remember seeing a dvd for outcasts though so maybe at least the BBC had the better idea of burying its existence from history.

zelmia

zelmia

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2011 @ 4:05 PM

I fell asleep. That pretty much says it all, if you ask me.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Jun 20, 2011 @ 4:12 PM

After the first episode i stumbled upon the original pitch for the show which was far more interesting, though they tried to salvage that original idea in the next couple of episodes it was very wasted.

Is there a link somewhere?

Sonicsean34

Sonicsean34

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 20, 2011 @ 9:08 PM

cutecouple

Is there a link somewhere?

here you go but just beware they did salvage some of the idea for the backstory they aluded to with Jamie Bamber's character not following orders in the pilot so even though a lot of the details were scraped the very basic idea was kept a group of undesireble outcasts even if they aren't criminals and hoodlums in the final product (better to be safe even if im still being vague since hasn't aired state side yet and spoiler policy on UK shows has been historically inconsistent on TWOP on whether to go for UK or US airings for spoilers tags). That show could have been better than what we got but it could have also ended up very trite as well.

Someone on another board pointed out something I had not noticed when I watched the show earlier this year. It is set in the year 2040. With all the factors involved: 5 year trip to Carpathia, technology advancement for inter-steller flight, FINDING THE DAMN PLANET, Initial settlement.... well the time frame from our present to the time in the show is bloody ridiculous for all of it to have gone down in such a small amount of time.

crowsworks

crowsworks

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2011 @ 9:58 PM

Aaaaaaaand it's dead Jim. Great, another SciFi series I liked being buried. Really, can we make a survey how many scifi series were hastily buried without proper resolution? The numbers have to be staggering.

So many that I'm amazed that they don't make sure to have a endgame episode JIC. Shows like Invasion, etc could be packaged as mini-series and sold to networks much more successfully - or on DVDs.

Why would anyone want to watch an old series - with a mythology SL - if you know there is no resolution. No ending. Then if the show is renewed they could re-cut it or whatever for the next season or the shows eventual finale.

Besides being maddening - it's stupid financially.

Catgirl14

Catgirl14

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2011 @ 10:22 PM

I tuned into this show two reasons, Jamie Bambe and Eric Mabius, now they killed off one of them (WTF) and I hate Julius. Plus, I thought this show was supposed to be sci-fi, and it was dull. I really wanted something more to happen to help me want to come back, but when the choice is between Primeval (a show I lost interest in after they killed off the most interesting characters and fell into stupid town) and this show; well Primeval wins.

Edited by Catgirl14, Jun 24, 2011 @ 10:23 PM.

OLynn

OLynn

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 25, 2011 @ 8:26 PM

A gripping, fast-paced and epic drama, OUTCASTS follows a group of courageous pioneers facing a unique opportunity: the chance to build a new and better future on another planet.

From the Space channel in Canada. Gripping and fast paced? Well the promos made it look like it was and after just watching episode 2, man I got suckered. Also, I didn't realize it was a series already dead and buried. Of course what do I expect from a channel that got beat to High Def by the freaking Weather Network.