2-7: "Tailgating" 2010.05.19

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

79 replies to this topic

Rammchick

Rammchick

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2010 @ 8:00 AM

James' comment about the thickness of the meat in the taco would've been true if the meat was chewy -- there's nothing worse than taking a bite of something meant to be a finger food and finding that your teeth can't bite through it and you've pulled the entire thing out of the sandwich in one, unchewable chunk. But that didn't seem to be the case. Besides, if Jonathan had sliced that meat thinly, then James' reaction would've probably been, "It was so thin and dry!" Oh well. Luckily, he didn't go home for that.

Susur's inability to "get" tailgating was priceless -- as someone else said, not only is he from Hong Kong but he lives in Toronto. 'Nuff said.

And Rick -- for once, stop being the "Fish Guy". He knew that octopus "legs" might not work in the Quick Fire and sure enough, they didn't. I found it pretty cool that with all the exotic proteins to choose from, the "boring old mundane" chicken legs won ;)

BTW, Jay wasn't wearing a black suit at the tailgating party -- just the jacket, which looked like velvet to me. That seems to be his "uniform" -- he wears that all the time. Don't know what it is about this guy but I have a total crush on him. I found it really funny that all the chefs were perturbed with his comments during the Quick Fire and decided that he was in a snippy mood. Although it did seem as though what he said was more pointed than usual, it also seemed that the dishes weren't anywhere near as good as they could've been.

Long Days Night

Long Days Night

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2010 @ 12:15 PM

Susar and Tony seem to have totally different ideas about their relationship. To Susar, they are razz-buddies who can tease each other and get in each other's spaces. What's a little bacon grease among razz-buddies? To Tony, Susar is a large, annoying, rather intimidating obstacle with no filter and boundary issues.

It's akin to when, at a party, the one guest who absolutely cannot stand cats or dogs is the one person that the family cat or dog falls madly in love with. The guest is all stiff and agonized while the cat or dog is rubbing against his neck, crawling into his lap, licking his hand, following him from room to room...

Waxman cooks "simple" dishes -- deceptively, though, since they look simple but are layered with complex flavors. And he has that very zen approach, getting into a centered place and letting the food speak to him in the quiet. But the longer the competition goes on, there's less rest and more pressure, and keeping centered and quiet just isn't in the cards.

It's beginning to remind me of Anita Lo's experience from the first season.

barnesi

barnesi

Channel Surfer

Posted May 21, 2010 @ 2:04 PM

I found it really funny that all the chefs were perturbed with his comments during the Quick Fire and decided that he was in a snippy mood.

In Jay's latest blog, his grumpy mood is explained.

http://www.bravotv.c...the-the-masters

CassandraRedux

CassandraRedux

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2010 @ 2:17 PM

Thanks for posting the blog link, barnesi.

I love this:

If there was one thing guaranteed to lighten my mood, it was always when the Top Chef Masters team went out on location. For a Londoner, starved of sunlight, it was always a slight disappointment that we were locked for most of the time in the studio complex. And then all of a sudden we were going to the game, and what a remarkable operation it was. Nothing I have ever seen in England prepared me for this: the size, the vitality, the drama.

celestial605

celestial605

Channel Surfer

Posted May 21, 2010 @ 6:17 PM

Another thanks from me, barnesi!

I LOVE this:

We all know that James Oseland has a palate calibrated by the scientists who built the Large Hadron Collider for CERN.

I think Jay is funny and insightful without being annoying... ::cough::TOBY::cough:: I also enjoyed reading how, despite his tough work schedule, Jay is grateful for his job(s) and has respect for others who work hard as well.

HeavenLy

HeavenLy

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2010 @ 7:22 PM

The critics comments did seem to be on the petty side ("your meat was sliced too big"), but I attribute that to the caliber of chefs remaining. Face it, none of these chefs is going to bomb a dish completely. From what I could tell, everything looked delicious and at this point, the critics do have to split hairs to decide who goes home. Usually I can tell by the editing who goes home, but was really guessing until the end (although it was obvious to me it would be a Susan Feniger sweep).

The funniest part of the episode for me was James' enthusiasm for tailgating at the end. IIRC, he said something about becoming more of a man and liking tailgating. Yes, he is the sourpuss judge, but I thought he was sincere and truly enjoyed this challenge far more than he anticipated. I could see him dreading going to the Colliseum and standing in a parking lot to eat tailgating food, but I liked that he admitted he had fun.

My first thought when Tony got knifed... oh, now Susur can use the whole table.

Edited by HeavenLy, May 21, 2010 @ 7:24 PM.

kathy999

kathy999

Video Archivist

Posted May 21, 2010 @ 8:15 PM

Watching this episode made me realize why I'm not crazy about this season. I don't think the food can touch last season's TCM, or actually even last year's TC.

I really was surprised that Tony went home - don't know why, but I thought he'd be in the finals. He just seemed like a 'chef', as opposed to some of the other contestants - Marcus, Susan (even though I adore her).

Guess I'll watch the rest of the season, and my bet is on Susur, even though I'd rather see Jonathan or Moonen win.

sammiekay

sammiekay

Video Archivist

Posted May 21, 2010 @ 8:46 PM

Edited by sammiekay, Jan 11, 2011 @ 4:19 PM.

barnesi

barnesi

Channel Surfer

Posted May 21, 2010 @ 10:45 PM

I think the long grind is starting to shorten tempers and dispositions. The days are long, they're on set at 7:30 am and keep on going until midnight. The last three challenges certainly challenged the cheftestants' stamina/energy. Serving 150 guests for 3 consecutive challenges is quite the task. It has to be hard for chefs who aren't accustomed to the physical grind.
Hopefully Jonathan will get his second wind and the challenges will become less demanding physically. Private dinner parties, or creating 3 dishing representing your past, present and future.

carmelized

carmelized

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2010 @ 9:53 AM

I think the long grind is starting to shorten tempers and dispositions. The days are long, they're on set at 7:30 am and keep on going until midnight. The last three challenges certainly challenged the cheftestants' stamina/energy. Serving 150 guests for 3 consecutive challenges is quite the task. It has to be hard for chefs who aren't accustomed to the physical grind.

They should rethink having such long hours, especially having this be the third consecutive challenge that the chefs had to serve 150 guests. I didn't think of that until you mentioned it. TPTB should set up the challenges so that the chefs can bring their best game, not just the best they can do while fighting exhaustion.

Based on his performance this episode and last, I also think that Jonathan Waxman may burn out a la Anita Lo last season and that saddens me.

I'd be sad to see that, but he did seem to be running a bit on empty this episode. I hope he rallies before the end and brings his "A" game.

glow24

glow24

Channel Surfer

Posted May 22, 2010 @ 10:36 AM

(again I cite the Bravo producers have influence in outcome tagline in end credits)

I'm guessing they give the judges some direction on scoring rather than misrepresenting the diners' scores.

Liesoverthesea

Liesoverthesea

Channel Surfer

Posted May 22, 2010 @ 1:38 PM

I thought it was interesting that they never even alluded to the outcome of the Stanford/U$C football game at which they were tailgating. U$C lost. And If I remember correctly, it was the most devastating loss in U$C history. And by the way, Kelly, it's the Stanford Cardinal (the color), not the Stanford Cardinals (the bird). I'm pretty sure I heard her say an "S" at the end.

I also think Tony was pretty uppity about the whole "stereotyping" thing, especially given his unyielding focus on Italian cuisine. I think he just hated Susur and was looking for any excuse to be offended and cry victim. But then again, I may be just biased here-- in my opinion, Susur can do no wrong. Go Susur! And yay Card!

artdogs505

artdogs505

Video Archivist

Posted May 22, 2010 @ 1:52 PM

The judges and their pompous, arrogant attitudes towards the tailgating really grated on me. Hey douchebags -- not everyone sits around in Manhattan tasting food and going to art openings or whatever nonsense you do all the time.

MerBear

MerBear

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2010 @ 11:24 PM

Liesoverthesea, I too heard the "s" at the end of Cardinal and just cringed. Come on, Kelly and producers, get the name of the team right! I am enjoying this season and get a huge kick out of Susur. The tailgating challenge was clever and definitely out of their comfort (end) zone.

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2010 @ 2:49 AM

But then again, I may be just biased here-- in my opinion, Susur can do no wrong. Go Susur!

Well, except Suser is a bit of a jerk. An entertaining jerk, but definitely still one.

Guess I'll watch the rest of the season, and my bet is on Susur, even though I'd rather see Jonathan or Moonen win.

About where I'm at too. Moonen winning would definitely be a kick.

chattycathyLA

chattycathyLA

Video Archivist

Posted May 24, 2010 @ 5:18 AM

I'm beginning to think that the judges are sending chefs home for other reasons than the success of their dishes. Marcus and Sursur have distinct personalities and are obnoxious, yet fun to watch; whereas there were once two grey haired, overweight, affable chefs and now there is only one left on the show.

Susur has outright dominated the season so far. Even this far out of his element he was a close second. Marcus scraped by last week, but this week he was in the top half.

Yeah, that was my point! I thought Marcus' food was "meh" and a weird combo at that (chicken/shrimp stew and a slider?). I didn't "get" that he was in the top half. I thought he should have been in the bottom and maybe even go home. Ditto Sursur, what with his Korean beef and Bavarian dumpling combo (THAT was tailgating food??). He belonged in the bottom as well. I think they were kept on because they were entertaining, NOT because their food was exceptional.

barnesi

barnesi

Channel Surfer

Posted May 24, 2010 @ 1:02 PM

I think they were kept on because they were entertaining, NOT because their food was exceptional.

The tailgaters rated the chefs in the same order as the judges. The tailgaters' criteria was probably based on taste not the importance of the chef to the show.

IttyBittyFlavur

IttyBittyFlavur

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2010 @ 2:43 PM

I'm guessing they give the judges some direction on scoring rather than misrepresenting the diners' scores.

I would love to see a producer give Gael Greene some "direction" on her scoring. How long does it take for a human being to shrivel and turn into dust under her death gaze?

Every reality competition has a disclaimer about producer input into the results; it's standard legal boilerplate to prevent lawsuits.

hung10

hung10

Video Archivist

Posted May 24, 2010 @ 4:44 PM

Yeah, that was my point! I thought Marcus' food was "meh" and a weird combo at that (chicken/shrimp stew and a slider?). I didn't "get" that he was in the top half. I thought he should have been in the bottom and maybe even go home. Ditto Sursur, what with his Korean beef and Bavarian dumpling combo (THAT was tailgating food??). He belonged in the bottom as well. I think they were kept on because they were entertaining, NOT because their food was exceptional.

Soups and stews are actually not out of the ordinary for tailgating. Not sure about sliders, but maybe a normal burger would have been too much portion wise. Susur's choices were odd, sure, but at the end of the day, it's about taste, and maybe Susur's and Marcus' food just happened to.... taste better?

I think the long grind is starting to shorten tempers and dispositions.

I agree, it seems especially notable for Waxman. He's not a grouch yet, but he's kind of getting there.

Edited by hung10, May 24, 2010 @ 4:46 PM.

Rammchick

Rammchick

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2010 @ 8:26 AM

Soups and stews are actually not out of the ordinary for tailgating

You wouldn't imagine so, given how cold it is at some of those games played in the Fall/Winter, in the Mid-west and in New England. However, at a USC game? Probably not so much.