1-22: "Founder's Day" 2010.05.13 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

377 replies to this topic

TWoP Barnes

TWoP Barnes

Stalker

Posted May 13, 2010 @ 6:28 PM

TiVo:

Despite Alaric and Damon's efforts to stop him, Johnathan (David Anders) sets a plan in motion that results in destruction, chaos and death.

Cast:
Nina Dobrev, Paul Wesley, Ian Somerhalder, Steven r. Mcqueen, Sara Canning, Katerina Graham, Candice Accola, Zach Roerig, Kayla Ewell, Michael Trevino, David Anders (Guest Star), Malese Jow (Guest Star)

Crew:
Kevin Williamson (Executive Producer), Julie Plec (Executive Producer), Leslie Morganstein (Executive Producer), Bob Levy (Executive Producer), Marcos Siega (Director), Bryan Oh (Writer), Andrew Chambliss (Writer)

Yahoo:

Founder's Day has finally arrived, and everyone is busy with last-minute preparations for floats and fireworks. Stefan is uncomfortable with Damon's new attitude toward Elena, but Elena is more concerned about repairing her relationship with Jeremy. Jeremy is worried about Anna, but not sure, he's on board with her latest plan for the future. While Caroline is enjoying her day as Queen of the celebration, she also tries to help Matt and Tyler get their friendship back on track. Finally, although Damon and Alaric do their best to stop him, Johnathan Gilbert sets a plan in motion that ends Founderís Day amid chaos, destruction and death.

Finale!

Amester0120

Amester0120

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2010 @ 8:01 PM

I don't seem to have full use of my mind because it was just BLOWN.

bell0846

bell0846

Channel Surfer

Posted May 13, 2010 @ 8:01 PM

OH. MY. GOD.

Anna! Nooooooooooooo!

Damon and Elena! Yesssss!

Elena being Katherine! HOLY FREAKING CRAP!!

...more to come...

Whiteotter

Whiteotter

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2010 @ 8:02 PM

AWESOME. Aside from Anna dying, of course.

I assumed from Elena's curtsy in the teaser that she might be Catherine, but that ending was still fantastic. And the Not!Elena/Damon kiss was, as expected, scorchingly hot. I loved that he could tell right away.

drowninmybrain

drowninmybrain

Channel Surfer

OMG! Elena, Katherine, Jeremy...OMG. Mind = Blown

NTLurker

NTLurker

Fanatic

Too many cliff hangers and questions.

I really hope Jeremy does not turn into a Vampire, he'd be the worst vampire ever. Don't care if Caroline makes it or not, I'm feeling Tyler turning into a werewolf.

I can't believe that Damon was just with Katherine, his love for over a century and a half and he doesn't even now it. Katherine was just as crazy and evil as I thought, cutting off not just one fingers, but four of them just to kill John. I wanted John to go, but I didn't want him to go that way, I wanted him to tell Elena what he told Katherine. I need to watch the last 30 minutes of the show again.

Excellent finale.

Edited by NTLurker, May 13, 2010 @ 8:04 PM.

Davina

Davina

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2010 @ 8:03 PM

Wow Jenna asked her inside.. well played Nina, well played show. Oh Germ, Bonnie, Tyler. I gotta think on this, damn. I'll be back after SN.

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted May 13, 2010 @ 8:04 PM

I haven't seen an episode of this show since the last new episode of 2009, but damn that was great and powerful episode!

Can't wait for the DVDs to catch up on everything I missed.

goodnight

goodnight

Video Archivist

Re: the curtsy. That wasn't Katherine...yet. Right? I was dying during the kiss. So hot. Though I guess I'm glad real!Elena stayed true. I love this show so much it hurts.

mythsnstuff

mythsnstuff

Video Archivist

Finally, some good gore. And werewolves, sort of. I am super psyched about the Elena/Katherine scene in next season's premiere, though if she wanted John to have the device, why is she attacking him? Also, I'm calling it now: someone's gonna give Caroline some vamp blood to save her life.

Elli DC

Elli DC

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2010 @ 8:05 PM

Cindy's Tweets sum it up nicely -

Oh my word, poor Barnes. The boards are going to be wild tonight. #vampirediaries #tvd --

I can't tell if it was Nina's nuanced acting, or the obvious way the plot was gonna role, but I called it, I totally did! Even though I was screaming "No Elena!" in my head.

Did a lot of that tonight - "No Jermemy!" "Nooooo not Anna!" "No Bonnie, oh wait - YES Bonnie!"

Still digesting, so much went on, I just want to read everyone else's thoughts for a while. I was spoiler-free, but almost felt like they gave away too much in the minute-long preview. I actually didn't cry, which was surprising.

ccneon

ccneon

Channel Surfer

Posted May 13, 2010 @ 8:06 PM

Oh MY GOD! This show just continues to amaze me. And I totally agree that Damon knew. As soon as he leaned in for the kiss, i thought, is he testing her to see if she's really Katherine? and when she allowed the kiss on the cheek, I feel like he started to doubt everything, and the kiss was, well awesome (yes i'm obviously team damon) but I KNEW it was Katherine when she went along with it. And ITA that Damon knew something was wrong after the kiss. I thought his look of surprise was more than just "did she just let me kiss her" especially after warning him not to do his eye thing just a little earlier in the day. I need to rewatch.

bell0846

bell0846

Channel Surfer

Posted May 13, 2010 @ 8:07 PM

My mind... just does not compute... so much.

Thank god I have the finale taped, after thinking hard about it all I will rewatch tomorrow.. and Saturday.. and Sunday..

I loved that he could tell right away.

What, Damon? He could tell it was Katherine you mean? I didn't catch that..

AmaiaIsabella

AmaiaIsabella

Loyal Viewer

Oh. Oh my. I wish they had retained Anna, just to have ONE interesting female vamp- but as soon as they kill her, they introduce Katherine!

My heart broke for Damon, and I didn't think it would. He looked shattered by that kiss, and it wasn't the girl he thought it was. Le sigh.

I'd actually like to see someone Elena grew up with as a vamp, so it would be interesting if Jeremy was. But if the blood is supposed to be "in your system", how long does it have to be there before it takes effect and prevents you from permanent death? Hm.

I almost wish it was Elena who chopped off Uncle Jerk's fingers. Oh well.

Fukaduk

Fukaduk

Loyal Viewer

Awesome finale, so many questions.

How could Damon not hear Katherine's lack of heartbeat? Katherine is amazing btw. So is Bonnie. Is uncle snark really dead?? Will Katherine attack Jenna? Is germ gonna be a vamp? As someone who loves Caroline dearly, I'm going to be extremely angry if she dies from a stupid head injury. Way to be lame show. Not okay.

SheenieB

SheenieB

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2010 @ 8:08 PM

Holy Shit!! I mean, who would've thought that this show would have been so awesome considering the majority of folks thought it was going to be sappy ass shit?

Caroline better make it next season. That's my girl, and she has to pull through.

I hope Jeremy's fool ass really didn't turn, but if it makes him stop acting so damn mopey, I'll allow it. Shit, imagine if he shuts off his humanity and teams up with Katherine?

Again, Holy Shit! Oh and RIP Anna.

gwen615

gwen615

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 13, 2010 @ 8:08 PM

I get that they needed Anna to die so Jeremy would be so destroyed he would become a vamp. But he could have just believed she was dead and then ODed. And if John was smart he would have staked Damon not Anna.

I like this show, but Anna really grew on me.

I'm really glad Katherine and Damon kissed not Elena and Damon. I'm pissed Damon would kiss her, thinking she was Elena, after his brother saved his life.

spiritone

spiritone

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2010 @ 8:09 PM

Omg that finale was amazing! This show just never disappoints with the explosive twists and turns... I haven't loved a show like this in a looong time. I don't even particularly like Jeremy and I was begging him not to take his life. And then the end with Katherine... I knew something was up with the Damon kiss because that's not something our Elena would do at this point in the story, but then her odd interactions with John had my mind screaming it had to be Katherine and then WHACK! OMG! How can we possibly wait until next season?? This show does it right every time. Bravo!

Zycron

Zycron

Fanatic

RIP Anna. She should have left town.

Who was the second death - Uncle John or Mayor Lockwood?

I'm pretty sure Uncle John is dead. Katherine cut off the ring before stabbing him. Can you kill a werewolf by snapping his neck? Tyler's father could have survived the fire. I think he was the man seen standing up and struggling in the basement at the end. The vampires were too weak from vervaine to get up.

I knew it was Katherine once she reciprocated the kiss. I think Damon knew too, at least sub-consciously. I loved the disgusted look on Jenna's face. Where was she when Katherine was playing slice and dice? Jenna is so blind to anything that happens in her own home - even murder and suicide.

Edited by Zycron, May 13, 2010 @ 8:11 PM.

Mystical

Mystical

Loyal Viewer

I haven't posted on these forums since Gilmore Girls because I have not been this obsessed with a show since that and Veronica Mars.
This episode was THE BEST HOUR OF TELEVISION I HAVE EVER SEEN. Hands down. By twenty minutes in I was "ohmygodding," and squealing. And the end blew my mind! First, I was elated by the amazingly hot Damon and "Elena" kiss. Then when Elena was handling the knives I thought something was up but never thought she would kill him. And when it was Katherine, I think my whole house could hear me yelling.

Wow. I have no idea how I can wait until next season. So much to look forward to. I can't wait to see what they have in store for us.

moonbean

moonbean

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 13, 2010 @ 8:10 PM

O.M.G! Did anyone see that coming?

Holy freaking sh*t Katherine: *whack* Hi, John. *urrgh* Bye, John.

But Yay! It was not Elena. (that kiss is reminiscent of Joey/Pacey kiss)

I'm so sad about Anna.

Woohoo! Bonnie. You go girl!

Damon is so awesome bad and romantic tonight.

Ganymedeone

Ganymedeone

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2010 @ 8:10 PM

I saw the knives, and then I was shocked by what came next! Jenna did the invite and I never even realized what was up! Loved Stefan/Anna, Tyler, and Jeremy! Hated what became of Anna, but I knew she was probably a goner when she went to the tomb vamps. GREAT finale! (And can Jeremy's biceps get their own thread?)

kokotino

kokotino

Channel Surfer

Posted May 13, 2010 @ 8:11 PM

The finale was perfect. I am still not buying the mushy Damon in this episode, it was too drastic. Everybody was great, I hope Caroline survives.

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2010 @ 8:11 PM

I can't believe that Damon was just with Katherine, his love for over a century and a half and he doesn't even now it.

NTLuker Oh Damon KNEW (somewhere deep down inside)! Did you see the way he touched his lips? He had kissed those lips BEFORE and remembered the sensation.

VanVal26

VanVal26

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 13, 2010 @ 8:12 PM

I don't really know what to say or how to feel! I'll try to anyway...OH.MY.GOD!!!!

Jeremey...You're such an Emo boy!

Bonnie, thank you for saving the brothers.

Ana I'll miss you, even though I knew you were a goner.

Uncle/Dad Jon and Mayor i wont miss you.....even though I need to know what you were Mayor.

Taylor, what are you?

Caroline please be okay, for Matts sake. He can't take anymore heartache.

I love that Damon and Alarics friendship continues to grow. BBF's for life you two!

I'm all for Stefan/Elena but I'd be lying if I said that seeing Damon kiss who I and he thought was Elena didn't make me happy. And that I was bummed when I found out it was really Katherine, especially since Damon's doing an even better job of making me love him myself. I want to know how'll he react when he finds out that it wasn't Elena he was kissing.

Poor Jenna she's so clueless in all of this.

How come Katherine was able to enter the house? Had she been there before. is this the first time she's played Elena? Uhh..so many question. Awesome episode!

Pixles

Pixles

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2010 @ 8:13 PM

The ending with Elena (but not Elena) and Stefan was awesome. First I was so shocked and thinking "what are you doing? You just told Stefan 2 seconds ago this wouldn't happen." Then when she cut off Uncle Gilberts fingers, I was shocked and it took a second then it clued in.."that's not Elena." LOL

Great episode and finale ending, sad they didn't keep Anna though. Hated her when they first brought her on but though she fit well to have at least one good female vamp.

QueenCharisma

QueenCharisma

Fanatic

• Interests:Blogging, shoes, literature, comics and graphic novels, TV shows, film, music, forensic and cultural anthropology, creative writing, photography, and reinvention.

Posted May 13, 2010 @ 8:14 PM

I soooo thought Damon was gonna be PISSED that Bonnie lied to them and effectively got him captured and almost killed. I kept saying to the screen, "Bonnie girl, you better get out of town with the quickness because dude is gonna really rip your throat out now and Stefan won't be there to save you this time." But, imagine my shock when he adds her to the list of people he wants to protect, even after figuring out that she lied to them and didn't take the spell off the invention! Do I smell a hookup in the future? I think I do! YAY!

I was heated and practically screaming at the screen when Elena let Damon kiss her. I kept saying, "I'm done with you, Elena. Damn you for cheating on my precious Stefan!" But low and behold, it was Katherine! And that kiss was smoking hot! And I knew once Jenna caught her that something wasn't right, she didn't seem very Elena-like at all, and it didn't dawn on me that a switcheroo had occurred until she did the most badass thing in the world and cut off that annoying douchebag Uncle John's fingers and killed that bitch! OMG, I think I'm in love with Katherine right now.

Bonnie telling Stefan what's what was awesome as was her pulling back the fire so Stefan could go save his brother. I'm loving where she's going and I can't wait until she and Damon face off again in the future.

Tyler about to turn wolfy was cool (those eyes!) so I'm kind of disappointed we didn't see him go there all the way. But I'm glad Matt was worried about him though my heart hurts for Caroline. Please, don't let her die writers. I like her so much. She's so sweet and we need all the non-superpowered people we can get on this show between witches, vamps, and weres. Shame about the Mayor, though. I wanted to see him and Damon face off, too.

Poor Anna...she didn't even get to put up a fight. Just some pathetic begging. The women on this show don't get much love, do they? Shame.

This episode was just awesome all around! I have to digest what I just saw and come back with some more observations later.

AmaiaIsabella

AmaiaIsabella

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 13, 2010 @ 8:14 PM

NTLuker Oh Damon KNEW (somewhere deep down inside)! Did you see the way he touched his lips? He had kissed those lips BEFORE and remembered the sensation.

I thought this was because he couldn't believe he effed up his tentative friendship with Elena/relationship with Stefan by kissing her, but I guess it's open to interpretation? I actually hope he knew, because I want him and Elena as friends... for now.

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2010 @ 8:15 PM

How come Katherine was able to enter the house? Had she been there before. is this the first time she's played Elena? Uhh..so many question. Awesome episode!

Jenna said "it is late, you should come in"- BINGO invited in!

I am so SO excited for next season! I want to purchase the DVD as soon as it comes out. Did you guys see the True Blood Season 3 trailer during the commercials?

Edited by scarlett45, May 13, 2010 @ 8:17 PM.

Amester0120

Amester0120

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2010 @ 8:17 PM

How come Katherine was able to enter the house? Had she been there before. is this the first time she's played Elena?

Jenna invited her in. That's when I knew it was Katherine.

Badass!Bonnie was awesome. I loved her scene with Stefan.

Poor Pudding Pop! Hasn't he been through enough show? Let Caroline live for his sake at least.

Katherine chopped off Uncle John's mothereffing hand? I'm down, she's awesome.

The Damon/"Elena" kiss was all kinds of hot.

RIP Anna. Come back for some flashbacks please?