Burt Hummel: He Has the Guts

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

117 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2010 @ 8:09 PM

Wiki:

Burt Hummel (Mike O'Malley) is Kurt's father, to whom Kurt comes out in the episode "Preggers". James Poniewozik for Time commented on Kurt's coming out to his father: "the fact that Dad (Mike O'Malley, who has turned out to be a pretty good character actor) ends up not being the boor we think he's going to be is one of the first signs that Glee is growing up as a series, that having established a world of primary-color stereotypes, it's now willing to subvert those expectations." Tim Stack for Entertainment Weekly wrote on the same episode: "who would have thought that Mike O’Malley, star of 'Yes, Dear, could be such a good dramatic actor?!"

Edited by TWoP Gadget, May 12, 2010 @ 8:09 PM.

bayth

bayth

Channel Surfer

Posted May 12, 2010 @ 8:19 PM

Awww. Thanks for starting a thread for Burt. His scenes with Kurt are my favorite parts of Glee.

EmmaFrost

EmmaFrost

Couch Potato

• Interests:Horror movies!

Posted May 12, 2010 @ 8:50 PM

Yay! Daddy Hummel has his own thread.

Mike O'Malley rocks this character so much that it's unbelievable. He has great chemistry with Chris Colfer (they even look a little bit alike) and their scenes are incredibly pleasurable to watch.

PoemJunkie

PoemJunkie

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 12, 2010 @ 8:53 PM

He has great chemistry with Chris Colfer (they even look a little bit alike)

I've always thought so too! Something about the eyes, I think. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so, I thought I was a little crazy.

Colonel Green

Colonel Green

Stalker

Posted May 12, 2010 @ 9:04 PM

I really hope O'Malley gets a Guest Actor Emmy nod.

At this point, Burt is probably the nicest character on the show (Brittany's really the main competition, and that's because she's too dumb to be otherwise).

EmmaFrost

EmmaFrost

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2010 @ 9:58 PM

I've always thought so too! Something about the eyes, I think. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so, I thought I was a little crazy.

You're definitely not crazy. CC face is more delicate (with him being 19 and everything) but there're some similarities, there. The eyes, for example. Mike O'Malley's are greener, but they are similar to CC. The nose, too.

Poor Kurt, though: baldness is hereditary...

snoopypez

snoopypez

Video Archivist

Posted May 12, 2010 @ 10:00 PM

From the mother's side. ;)

Burt = love.

BigBeans

BigBeans

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2010 @ 11:17 PM

Burt, for me, is the epicenter of 'reality' in a largely cartoonish, over-the-top show. Every scene with Burt is so refreshing because it takes us out of the lovely and silly bubble that is Glee and smacks us with a dose of reality that the show desperately needs from time to time.

I really hope O'Malley gets a Guest Actor Emmy nod.

I haven't scene all the guest actors on all the other shows or anything, but Mike O'Malley is so perfect in Burt's simple complexity (yay, oxymoron) that I think an Emmy nod is a definite possibility. I'm actually a little surprised that I haven't seen more praise for his performance in the media.

PoemJunkie

PoemJunkie

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 13, 2010 @ 1:45 AM

I think that part of why Mike O'Malley works on Glee is the foil he creates for Chris Colfer's portrayal of Kurt. The characters are so different, but still have a deep love for each other that they express easily, even as they struggle to connect to each other...It's very emotional and believable. I think most of the audience can connect to it well, because usually people have one parent they connect with more than the other. For me, Kurt and Burt's relationship could BE my own relationship with my father, which makes their scenes together just that much more poignant for me.

Quite seriously, with the exception that my dad owns a construction business instead of a tire store, and I'm a gay woman instead of a gay man, Kurt and Burt's relationship is so reflective of my own with my dad, it's scary. And the whole tone of their relationship is so SPOT ON with my own experiences. The writing is a little generic, it's Mike and Chris's acting and chemistry that pulls it off for me. Burt's struggle to be supportive of his son, no matter what, and Kurt's willingness to compromise himself to make his dad more comfortable, even though that's not what his dad wants...it's realistic. It's a complicated dynamic, so even though "Laryngitis" was a basic plot recycle of Kurt's story line in "Preggers" (Kurt tries to do something "manly" to impress his father, followed by a emotional confrontation) I was still interested.

I really liked how Burt barely blinked when he first caught Kurt making out with Brittany. He just kind of took it in and moved on. Even though he was pretty clearly not really buying it, he didn't push, and I didn't get the feeling it was because he hoped that Kurt had "changed his mind" about being gay or anything, just that he was willing to let Kurt explore his own boundaries as long as he was responsible about it. And the trucker outfit barely made him blink when he first saw it, even though it was clearly out of character for Kurt. This makes me think he's more laid back than I had previously thought about Kurt's stylistic choices. Obviously he wasn't so sanguine about some of Kurt's other, more outlandish outfits (he didn't look terribly pleased about the sequins and unitard in "Preggers") but even then, he didn't demand that Kurt change out of it or anything, just sort of grudgingly accepted it on a pretty flimsy excuse from Kurt. So he seems to genuinely mean it when he said in an earlier episode that he and Kurt have a deal that they don't try to change each other.

Edited by PoemJunkie, May 13, 2010 @ 2:06 AM.

EmmaFrost

EmmaFrost

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2010 @ 1:57 PM

Something that I love about Burt's character is how realistic his portrayal of a single/widowed is. Burt treats Kurt as an adult and implicitly trusts his judgement. He mentions they have a deal, Kurt is very protective of his father (for some reason the scene where he helps him with the coffee machine killed me) and he sometimes acts like Kurt's son (the food thing). Which is logical all things considered and Kurt is very mature and controlled. But it can be something negative, too, because when acts like the 16 years old he is, their dynamic is screwed.

Rosencrantz 13

Rosencrantz 13

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2010 @ 6:21 PM

I'm so glad Burt Hummel and Mike O'Malley now have their own thread! Burt really is the most real and decent human being on the show, closely followed by his new squeeze Carole Hudson. There have been a lot of strong gay characters on TV in recent years, but I can't think of a better example on TV of a parent supporting and struggling with a gay child. Burt sets a great example.

I'd really love to see Mike O'Malley get an Emmy nom. I'm afraid he'll be overshadowed by the big name guest stars like Cheno and NPH, but he really is the most deserving. I also worry that Mike might be overlooked because he is giving a great dramatic performance in a comedy genre show.

Girl86star

Girl86star

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2010 @ 9:36 PM

I, and my '90s childhood, would like to thank TWoP Gadget for the title of this thread.

I jumped up an down on my bed when Mike O'Malley first turned off Kurt's boom box in 'Preggers' because of my love for this Man (and for the fact that of all the people he could play, he was playing Kurt's! Dad). And I have loved every second of him on this program since. YAY!!

Colonel Green

Colonel Green

Stalker

Posted May 13, 2010 @ 9:48 PM

I'd really love to see Mike O'Malley get an Emmy nom.

The main thing that would conceivably count against him is that for someone competing for a "Best Guest Actor in a Comedy", his role isn't really that funny; his scenes are always part of the show's dramatic content.

knottygirl

knottygirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 13, 2010 @ 10:23 PM

I've loved Burt ever since he told Figgins and Schuester that if they closed their eyes when Kurt sang, they'd swear it was Ronnie Spector. I'm a big Ronnie Spector fan, and other than a little more smoke to her tone, he's absolutely right. Plus, how cool was it that he fought for Kurt to get the "Defying Gravity" solo?

JakeyIsSusan

JakeyIsSusan

Fanatic

• Interests:television (duh!), pro wrestling, pop culture, awards shows, writing, dreaming, procrastinating

Posted May 14, 2010 @ 5:18 PM

Quite seriously, with the exception that my dad owns a construction business instead of a tire store, and I'm a gay woman instead of a gay man, Kurt and Burt's relationship is so reflective of my own with my dad, it's scary. And the whole tone of their relationship is so SPOT ON with my own experiences. The writing is a little generic, it's Mike and Chris's acting and chemistry that pulls it off for me. Burt's struggle to be supportive of his son, no matter what, and Kurt's willingness to compromise himself to make his dad more comfortable, even though that's not what his dad wants...it's realistic. It's a complicated dynamic, so even though "Laryngitis" was a basic plot recycle of Kurt's story line in "Preggers" (Kurt tries to do something "manly" to impress his father, followed by a emotional confrontation) I was still interested.

Ugh, YES. I'm on the Kurt side of the spectrum, and my father often go out to our local sports bar together, where he occasionally puts up with comments like "Did you know your son is gay???" I see a lot of Burt Hummel in my father, and I'm amazed by how low-key and restrained Mike O'Malley is in his performance. It's great, subtle work, the kind that unfortunately doesn't often get nominated for awards.

EmmaFrost

EmmaFrost

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2010 @ 6:02 PM

Let me join the "My dad is a lot like Burt" Club. And the "I'm kind of like Kurt and this storyline is killing me because it's almost my life" one.

I really liked Mike O'Malley in Yes, Dear (don't stone me!), My name is Earl and I've heard he's pretty good in theatre, And he can also sing!

Really, the guy is perfect as Burt.

Top Dog 12

Top Dog 12

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2010 @ 6:28 PM

Oh Yes, Dear was quite good, as was MNIE. Mike O'Malley can seem to do no wrong.

We need more Burt scenes.

burntoemerge

burntoemerge

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2010 @ 10:28 PM

*cocks eyebrow* Mike O'Malley can sing? Now I really need to see a Burt & Kurt duet. If they pick the right song and have it be relatively low-key, it could be an amazing moment.

EmmaFrost

EmmaFrost

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2010 @ 11:32 PM

Apparently he had to sing in his audition for Glee. He used Musta Got Lost

Here is a video of him singing it in 10th anniversary of Hot Stove Cool Music at the House of Blues in Boston.

He's good enough.

hgalve

hgalve

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2010 @ 12:26 AM

I love Burt (I may occasionally hate his son but Burt is awesome). Mike O'Malley is so fantastic in this role and I really do hope he gets recognized for it because he's so good and subtle and understated. I hope we see more of him and Carol. His entire speech in Home towards Finn about how he'll be Carol's hero for as long as she'll let him made me tear up and I didn't even like that episode as a whole. The whole Burt/Carol stuff was the bright spot IMO.

Sarahnova

Sarahnova

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 18, 2010 @ 5:04 AM

I'm a big ol' sap, but I'm hoping we do actually see a uniting of the Hummel/Hudson households, mainly because Carol (Carole?) Hudson is an awesome lady and has been struggling to get by for a long time. I also kind of like that they're both so resolutely uncool! I loved Carol's denim vests, and Kurt slapping the non-organic biscuit away from Burt's mouth.

burntoemerge

burntoemerge

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2010 @ 12:46 PM

Oh, me too. I really want to see the 4 of them as a slightly dysfunctional but loving family. I just hope that Kurt has completely gotten over his crush by the time the two households merge, because I am maxed out on that brand of awkwardness.

Rosencrantz 13

Rosencrantz 13

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2010 @ 1:05 PM

If anyone is interested there's two interviews with Mike O'Malley speaking about his role as Burt.

Starrymag - Father Figure

Mike O'Malley Gleeful

In both he offers some deep perspective on being a parent, playing emotional scenes and working with Chris. Interesting to know that Mike and Chris don't really chat on set. Chris has said the number of days they've worked together amounts to less than a week. Yet they are doing a convincing job of playing people who have had a co-dependant relationship for years.

CoyoteBlue

CoyoteBlue

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2010 @ 2:12 PM

"Yes, there is another episode coming up. I think it's the second to last episode of the season with a very, very emotional scene, probably the most emotional scene we've done so far."

I'm assuming he means Laryngitis? Because another Burt/Kurt scene more emotional than Rose's Turn will kill me.

EmmaFrost

EmmaFrost

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2010 @ 2:28 PM

Prepare yourself. I already have my Kleenex.

LTG

LTG

Stalker

Posted May 18, 2010 @ 3:31 PM

I just assume that as a recurring character who appears in only a few episodes, he may not actually know where different episodes appear in the overall run of the season. So he may have been talking about Laryngitis, or we may all have to double up on our Prozac before episode 21.

Rosencrantz 13

Rosencrantz 13

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2010 @ 3:43 PM

So he may have been talking about Laryngitis, or we may all have to double up on our Prozac before episode 21.

Mike O'Malley is on the guest list on the press release for the Gaga ep (which is now 1x20).

Mike O'Malley is just so good at the emotive scenes. I can see why it's tempting to give him a heroic dad moment whenever he guest stars because he always nails it. Still I'm not sure how they can get more emotional. Chris Colfer must feel like he is playing all the kids from 'Stand by Me' with this father/son storyline.

Edited by Rosencrantz 13, May 18, 2010 @ 3:51 PM.

Sarahnova

Sarahnova

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 18, 2010 @ 3:48 PM

I just hope that Kurt has completely gotten over his crush by the time the two households merge, because I am maxed out on that brand of awkwardness.

I kind of dig Kurt's awkward crush on Finn, but you're probably right - that would just veer too quickly into badness. I can't help wondering how the inevitable climax of Kurt's jealousy tug-of-war over Burt & Finn is going to come about; two possibilities have occured to me;

1) Kurt actually tries to lay one on Finn at some point, and seriously weirds out both Burt and Finn;
2) Finn, at some point, slips up and calls Burt "Dad".

TarHeelTeacher

TarHeelTeacher

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2010 @ 9:09 PM

Mike O'Malley is on the guest list on the press release for the Gaga ep (which is now 1x20).

Mike O'Malley is just so good at the emotive scenes. I can see why it's tempting to give him a heroic dad moment whenever he guest stars because he always nails it. Still I'm not sure how they can get more emotional. Chris Colfer must feel like he is playing all the kids from 'Stand by Me' with this father/son storyline.

They found a way to get more emotional. Burt had me sobbing.

Edited by TarHeelTeacher, May 25, 2010 @ 9:10 PM.

PoemJunkie

PoemJunkie

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 25, 2010 @ 9:20 PM

Burt had me sobbing.

Ditto. Kurt didn't help, either, with his hurt little face, and defending Finn, not necessarily for Finn's sake, but desperate to tell his dad that it didn't matter, he was fine, he wasn't hurt...but Mike O'Malley...man. It felt like something was squeezing my heart. He played it perfectly, so angry and hurt on Kurt's behalf, but controlling the rage because Finn is just a kid, and that speech! Finn probably wishes Burt had just punched him. It probably would have hurt less.