2-8: "Monkey Bits" 2010.05.10

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

57 replies to this topic

TWoP Mars

TWoP Mars

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2010 @ 11:42 PM

From Sho.com:

Jackie deals with Fiona's teacher's concerns and suspicions about her busted lip and cast. Dr. Cooper sets his friend Georgia up with Eddie. Dr. O'Hara, having once again ended things with Sarah, takes comfort with spending time with Jackie and her family in Queens. Jackie (and everyone at All Saints) is touched by the case of a determined man John Poole (HARVEY FIERSTEIN) who plants himself in the middle of the ER while he tries to let go of his dying husband. Kevin takes Grace to her first appointment with a psychiatrist. Eddie brings Georgia to Kevin's bar on their first date, where he runs into Kevin, Jackie and Dr. O'Hara.

TeresaDee

TeresaDee

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2010 @ 6:06 AM

Overall, I found this episode kind of Meh....with the exception of the always wonderful Harvey Fierstein.

Hated the bar scene. How could Kevin not get it by now ??? Oh, right...he's a dope. I wish I could see some redeeming qualities in Eddie.

I also did love that the patient with the bullet wound called Jackie out on not keeping her promise.

Floridabound

Floridabound

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2010 @ 8:51 AM

I also did love that the patient with the bullet wound called Jackie out on not keeping her promise.

Same here. I told Jackie that when she was putting on her coat. On that, do they really not shave a head for a bullet wound, and would she be that perky looking after brain surgery? Amazing.

Kevin is stupid, and Eddie needs to get hit by a bus.

Harvey is glorious, as always.

Leesaa

Leesaa

Video Archivist

Posted May 11, 2010 @ 9:15 AM

I also loved it that the patient with the gunshot wound called Jackie out on not keeping her promise. Jackie being called out on her behavior does not happen often. Although Sam does make some funny little comments. I'm sure the Kevin & Eddie stuff will come out right at the end of the final episode of this season. That will probably be the cliffhanger to make us all come back for season 3.

Skylergirl

Skylergirl

Video Archivist

Posted May 11, 2010 @ 11:42 AM

Same here. I told Jackie that when she was putting on her coat. On that, do they really not shave a head for a bullet wound, and would she be that perky looking after brain surgery? Amazing.

I have had brain surgery and I was anything but perky afterward. I was barely conscious because of the morphone and in ICU.

I know this is a fictional show, but the other thing that got me was the doctor trying to hurry it up so she could make her daughter's recital. My father is a retired surgeon in our small community hospital. There were nights that he was tethered to the hospital, but there were also four other doctors in his practice and they took turns. We are supposed to buy that a big city hospital has one cardiologist???? If she were on call, those are the breaks, but like any other job in the world you can get one of your co-workers to swap shifts with you.

This episode had a lot of highs and lows for me. Loved Harvey and I loved Coop's stupidness. If I were his friend I would be way pissed that he fixed me up with Eddie, as I have yet to see anything redeemable or likable in Eddie. Loved Show and Tell. Hated the scene at the bar. How many times are we going to hear the same threats between Eddie and Jackie before anything happens???

goofball

goofball

Channel Surfer

Posted May 11, 2010 @ 3:24 PM

I am truly starting to believe that the casting (or performance) of Kevin is inspired. This guy's performance allows the audience to see Kevin as Jackie must see him, a bland bozo who is good for menial tasks. Eddie is played by a seemingly more interesting actor, and so we, like Jackie, would rather spend more time with him even though his character is a stone cold whack-job. I don't want to trash the guy who plays Kevin. Maybe his performance is all intentional.

suneenart

suneenart

Video Archivist

Posted May 11, 2010 @ 3:32 PM

I think Fiona's teacher was right in doing some informal investigations re the cast and lip injury. It's not like he called in child services; he just needed to know what happened. I don't understand why Jackie can't see how it may appear, and then just laugh about it.

I really wish we heard more about Grace's psych appt. I bet the fact that she would not talk to Jackie means something...that create drama, and once again gives Jackie something to feel sorry for herself about. Jackie puts up a strong front but man, she acts so put-upon all of the time. She's not the only one with a complicated life -- and she brought a big part of that on herself.

Which brings me to the open, oozing sore called Eddie. Please, someone tell me how this situation can end satisfyingly, unless of course Eddie is hit by a bus or a piano falls on his head and bequeaths his drug stash to Jackie.

And yes, Kevin continues to be clueless but I just can't fault him for neglecting to consider his wife is a cheating liar. Perhaps he should notice the drug addiction, but I'm not familiar with any addicts so I don't know how obvious she is (except to AA Nurse Guy).

And it cannot be said enough -- Zoe and Elenor are always awesome. And Coop is a loser.

Best line of the night: Can I not be gay right now? Can I just be a guy...

ShelleySue

ShelleySue

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2010 @ 4:40 PM

I'm sure the Kevin & Eddie stuff will come out right at the end of the final episode of this season. That will probably be the cliffhanger to make us all come back for season 3.

But when we all sit down to watch the first episode of season 3 it will be some time in the future and no reference will be made of it at all. It will take a whole season for us to even get an inkling of what happened. And even then it will be painfully drawn out and won't have as much information about exactly what happened to satisfy us.

suneenart

suneenart

Video Archivist

Posted May 11, 2010 @ 4:58 PM

Hey -- did Jackie take any drugs this episode? I can't recall.

Bulldog

Bulldog

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2010 @ 6:08 PM

This. So much word. I have been waiting for somebody to knock Jackie off her high horse. I don't think any other show that I watch has such an unlikeable lead character. It is really a tribute to Falco's performance that I find her fascinating, despite the fact that I truly would not like her in real life. Heck, I'd hang out with Coop before I would Jackie. She and O'Hara both have such a "I'm just so above it all" attitude that I find infuriating. Now that I think about it, Zoey and Gloria are the only two characters on the show I find remotely likeable.

I think Fiona's teacher was right in doing some informal investigations re the cast and lip injury.

Have to disagree here. I know teachers are required by law to report suspected abuse. But I think common sense would say you look at the situation as a whole. To our knowledge, Fiona had never gone to school with an obvious injury before. Surely kids are still capable of innocently getting a busted lip (and even a broken arm). For the teacher to jump to the "abuse" conclusion struck me as almost absurd. The one time I would have liked to see some of Jackie's righteous indignation, she didn't have any.

Harvey is glorious, as always.

Disagree here too (maybe I should re-watch this when I'm in a better mood). The actor was very good, but the character was just grating. I get that he was grieving. That's perfectly understandable. But he was being a pest for most of the episode. What was with the chair? Haven't we seen family members in chairs while visiting loved ones in other episodes? Surely there were chairs available and he didn't have to lug one from the waiting room. Also, why did he have to sit in that exact location. You would think after the third person rounded the corner and nearly ran into him, he would have gotten a clue and moved so the medical staff could tend to the other patients in the ER whose families, I'm sure, were also concerned about them. And correcting the doctor who referred to his partner as "patient" was so cliched. (I actually think I read somewhere once why doctors refer to their patients as "patient" and not by there name, but I can't remember exactly the reason.)

Hey -- did Jackie take any drugs this episode?

I don't think she did. Maybe she's on the road to recovery.

Rockbell

Rockbell

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2010 @ 8:12 PM

Anytime Jackie says she (maybe) loves Eddie, I just don't get it. She's already seen him behave like a freak, befriending her husband, stalking her family ... I don't understand how one minute, she's watching movies with him, and another, he's doing something that makes him seem like a mental patient. The Eddie character is just all over the place.

It was interesting when Grace said that "it might good to be a patient." With Fiona wanting to wear a fake cast, it's as if both girls want to be patients in a hospital, because their mother's a nurse who's always at work. (Although in Grace's case, she's not pretending to need treatment.)

So Sam still believes that Jackie is an addict. Although he's right, it's obnoxious of him to continually hint to her that he knows. If he's not going to reach out to her sincerely, he should shut up.

After Fiona's show-and-tell (which was very cute), Jackie and O'Hara left their saw behind. I thought that was weird.

The whole Sarah storyline feels like a contrivance, just a way for O'Hara to show emotions, or something. I thought it was good to see O'Hara become emotional over her mother before, but this relationship with Sarah ... I just don't care. It doesn't resonate at all.

It was sort of cool, though, when O'Hara said she's rather die than be Kevin or Eddie. Even though she seems mostly amused by Jackie's crazy life, at least she can acknowledge that Jackie is treating both men like shit.

About the bullet-in-the-head girl - yes, it's definitely amazing that she seemed so perky! But her telling Jackie off seemed more expository than anything. I'd just be happy that the surgery went well that I wouldn't hold a grudge against some poor nurse who tried to comfort me when I was scared.

DrivingSideways

DrivingSideways

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2010 @ 9:03 PM

I thought the scene with the amazingly perky brain surgery patient was annoying and anvilicious and really contrived. And honestly, had I been Jackie, I would have told her, "You know what? I was busy helping a man decide whether or not to UNPLUG HIS HUSBAND, so get over yourself... you're not too upset to be picking up dates with your doctor, so I'm sure you can handle waking up alone!" Also, her injury seems a bit contrived as well. I know it happens, but seriously - getting shot in the BRAIN and barely bleeding or expressing any pain before surgery? Lame.

Harvey Feirstein's character bugged the crap out of me too. In fact, I am gay, and can I just say, THERE IS WAY TOO MUCH GAY ON THIS SHOW. It just seems gimmicky.

If I was Coop's friend, I would have been so mad that he set me up with somebody so much older and not that cute. When Eddie implied that he thought he was a hottie, I giggled. Not so much, Sir Stalks-A-Lot!

I know I sound like I hate this show, but I love the cast... the writing is just really stupid sometimes. YMMV.

Edited by DrivingSideways, May 11, 2010 @ 9:04 PM.

frostedglass

frostedglass

Stalker

• Interests:Comedy, yoga, reading TWoP

Posted May 11, 2010 @ 10:02 PM

Harvey Feirstein's voice is like nails on a chalk board to me, and there are people suffering losses and facing adversity who aren't so bitchy about it, Character-Who-Harvey-played! I did like his line about just being a guy and not wanting to be gay right then.

I'm happy the show represents with the gay presence. I worked in the healthcare profession and there are a mighty lot of gays in the field it seems. However losing MoMo and replacing him with a cartoonish Thor has bugged me. O'Hara's bi-sexual reveal/story, if isolated, I find believable. But in the scheme of the show with hard to adore THor and Coop's 2 moms mainly being the butt of jokes? Hmm. Plus it was over before it started and seemed like stunt casting with Julia Ormond more than a gay gimmick to me.

lincoln84

lincoln84

Channel Surfer

Posted May 11, 2010 @ 10:30 PM

I found the OHara storyline interesting but I'm still puzzled by it. It was introduced as quickly as it ended. I liked Ormond but would have rather had someone else stick around longer to develop the story. Why Jackie is at all attracted to Eddie I don't know---she's not even getting drugs anymore. I liked the idea of the Harvey storyline but thought it was a bit abrasive as well. No where near the drama of Judith Ivey's story last year. But with a 1/2 hour show much has to be packed in quickly so I won't pick on it too much.

I did love "Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered" at the end. Beautiful.

michellems

michellems

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2010 @ 2:12 AM

I think Fiona's teacher was right in doing some informal investigations re the cast and lip injury.

Have to disagree here. I know teachers are required by law to report suspected abuse. But I think common sense would say you look at the situation as a whole. To our knowledge, Fiona had never gone to school with an obvious injury before. Surely kids are still capable of innocently getting a busted lip (and even a broken arm). For the teacher to jump to the "abuse" conclusion struck me as almost absurd.

No, it's really important to document these things from the very first sign of trouble. Most of the time a kid's injuries are accidents, but a teacher has to look into it, for two reasons. 1) To make sure the parents can't accuse the school, and 2) to catch abuse when it happens.

It didn't look as if the teacher were suspicious of the broken arm at all. But a broken arm AND a busted lip, in the space of a couple of days, sets off alarms.

And the BIG red flag was when Fiona said that they didn't take her to a doctor. Jackie didn't react with righteous indignation because she'd have flipped out, too, in the teacher's place. No medical record? Really? I can just hear her asking, "what is WRONG with this family?" I liked Jackie's creative and practical way of handling it, enlisting O'Hara and making a very educational show and tell for the kids, while at the same time demonstrating her innocence, and the fact that she does, in fact, take her kids to the doctor when they are injured.

And honestly, had I been Jackie, I would have told her, "You know what? I was busy helping a man decide whether or not to UNPLUG HIS HUSBAND, so get over yourself... you're not too upset to be picking up dates with your doctor, so I'm sure you can handle waking up alone!"

You know, nobody put a gun to Jackie's head and forced her to "promise" to be there when the gunshot victim woke up. She did that of her own free will, and then blew the patient off. Don't make promises you can't keep. How hard is that? Don't encourage patients to be dependent on you, or see you as an angel or their mommy or someone who "cares" about them when you don't! She could have said, "you'll pull through, and I promise I'll check on you as soon as I can." Not, "I'll be there when you wake up, I promise."

No wonder her daughter is crazy. Seriously.

This girl wasn't "waking up alone" from a drinking binge or a one-night stand. She was waking up alone when she thought she might not be waking up AT ALL. Just because she's a pretty girl whose doctor hit on her right before she went under, doesn't mean she doesn't have a right to be scared out of her mind, and angry. In all likelihood she made the date with Coop because she knows she can only count on people who want to have sex with her, to show up at all in her life. (When they aren't shooting her in the head, that is.)

Just because she can smile and look pretty and say yes to a guy, while scared out of her mind and angry as hell, doesn't mean her feelings aren't real or don't matter. Her feelings are just as important as Harvey Fierstein's, and quite a bit more important than Jackie's. I would have lost all respect for Jackie if she had made it all about herself in that moment, if she had attacked a patient recovering from brain surgery for rightly calling her on her own shit.

I actually felt for Jackie, as she stood there with her frozen smile facing the music, mild and brief though it was.

Edited by michellems, May 12, 2010 @ 2:18 AM.

Rockbell

Rockbell

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2010 @ 3:18 AM

She was waking up alone when she thought she might not be waking up AT ALL.

Right. So one would think she would be so overjoyed to have woken up that she wouldn't obsess over a petty grudge. (I would, anyway.) I mean, the surgery went well and she's going to be fine. Why dwell on Jackie, like it was the biggest betrayal in the world? The patient herself said that it was the only thing that kept her from losing it - if anything, I'd be grateful to Jackie for that.

Jackie certainly deserves plenty of people telling her that she sucks. But this? I'm willing to give her a pass here.

Edited by Rockbell, May 12, 2010 @ 3:24 AM.

zither

zither

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2010 @ 6:18 AM

Disagree here too (maybe I should re-watch this when I'm in a better mood). The actor was very good, but the character was just grating. I get that he was grieving. That's perfectly understandable. But he was being a pest for most of the episode. What was with the chair? Haven't we seen family members in chairs while visiting loved ones in other episodes? Surely there were chairs available and he didn't have to lug one from the waiting room. Also, why did he have to sit in that exact location. You would think after the third person rounded the corner and nearly ran into him, he would have gotten a clue and moved so the medical staff could tend to the other patients in the ER whose families, I'm sure, were also concerned about them. And correcting the doctor who referred to his partner as "patient" was so cliched. (I actually think I read somewhere once why doctors refer to their patients as "patient" and not by there name, but I can't remember exactly the reason.)

ITA. I loves me some Harvey Fierstein but, by the end, I found his character selfish and grating. I can understand his being distraught at feeling like he was being rushed to make a decision. At the same time, there was a point where he was just being a dick. In the final shot, he looked more like a petulant 5 year old than a man making a stand.

So Sam still believes that Jackie is an addict. Although he's right, it's obnoxious of him to continually hint to her that he knows. If he's not going to reach out to her sincerely, he should shut up.

He DID reach out to her sincerely, in his first episode back. He apologized for the "takes one to know one" comment and offered to be there if she wanted to talk. She was a bitch to him and has been ever since--picks on him every chance she gets. This ep, she started with the "pee in a cup" comments and he just responded in kind.

Edited by zither, May 12, 2010 @ 6:22 AM.

Floridabound

Floridabound

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2010 @ 6:22 AM

In the final shot, he looked more like a petulant 5 year old than a man making a stand.

Really? As someone who wasn't allowed in the ambulance and wouldn't have been allowed in the ICU were his husband there, I can understand his fury.

I doubt I would have been as restrained as he were I in his position.

zither

zither

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2010 @ 6:33 AM

Understand his fury? Sure. That doesn't mitigate the fact that his husband was already dead and his behavior was obstructionist. Not only that, but it was potentially damaging to the husband that he claimed to care so much about. Who's to say that the man wasn't in pain as his organs systematically shut down.

When the kidneys and liver go, it floods the body with toxins. That is not pleasant.

Had the last shot been of him inside, with his husband, holding his hand or otherwise focusing on not wanting to say good bye, I would have viewed it differently. Then it would have been about his husband and his profound sense of loss after 26 years.

Instead, by parking his butt outside the curtain and glaring while his husband (whom he was so insistent on everyone viewing as a person) lay alone, dying, he was making it all about him.

"I'm going to sit here and pout, while my husband's body and brain continue to die, just to spite YOU."

Petulant.

Edited by zither, May 12, 2010 @ 6:41 AM.

Floridabound

Floridabound

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2010 @ 7:06 AM

If you say so. I guess you're right.

DrivingSideways

DrivingSideways

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2010 @ 8:30 AM

I don't think we should waste our time arguing over the motivations of these characters if the writers can't be bothered to write them realistically. Harvey and the female patient were just so overwrought to really take the scenes seriously. The acting is the only thing that saves this show.

I have to agree with those who think the teacher did the right thing reporting it. It DOES look a little odd that suddenly this kid is suffering all of these injuries. Jackie could have been a little less bitchy to the teacher, but then again, she could be a little less bitchy to every single person in her life.

Rockbell

Rockbell

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2010 @ 8:56 AM

He DID reach out to her sincerely, in his first episode back. He apologized for the "takes one to know one" comment and offered to be there if she wanted to talk. She was a bitch to him and has been ever since--picks on him every chance she gets. This ep, she started with the "pee in a cup" comments and he just responded in kind.

My point was that because he's had to apologize for past behavior, that's the reason he should stop doing it.

And since he seems pretty sure that she's an addict, he should know that snide comments about her addiction isn't the best way to counsel a fellow addict, which makes him even more of a jerk. Jackie is a world-class bitch, and not at all interesting in getting help for her addiction, but I can't blame her for shutting him down.

I have to agree with those who think the teacher did the right thing reporting it. It DOES look a little odd that suddenly this kid is suffering all of these injuries.

He didn't report it, did he? I think he just called her father? But I agree with you - it was especially alarming when Fiona blithely told him that they sewed it up in the kitchen. You can't expect the teacher to assume that a competent doctor and nurse with the proper medical supplies just happened to be in the house at the time.

Really? As someone who wasn't allowed in the ambulance and wouldn't have been allowed in the ICU were his husband there, I can understand his fury.

I understand the rage regarding the insensitivity of the cardiologist. But would he really have not been allowed in the ICU? He's apparently the one who's able to make the decision to "pull the plug," after all. And was he not allowed in the ambulance because they're a gay couple? Could there have been another reason?

Referring to his comment to Thor about not being gay right now, and just being a grieving spouse - I think that may apply to the evaluation of his character, also. Any spouse would be pissed if the doctor is looking at her watch and tapping her toes in that situation.

Edited by Rockbell, May 12, 2010 @ 9:11 AM.

Floridabound

Floridabound

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2010 @ 9:55 AM

The acting is the only thing that saves this show.

Ain't that the truth. This show, like U.S. of Tara, started out so wonderfully. Then again, so did Dexter and look where that is.

But would he really have not been allowed in the ICU?

Have things changed? Are gay husbands/wives allowed in the ICU now? How wonderful if they are.

Could there have been another reason?

He didn't elaborate on it, so my guess is that it was because he was gay.

DrivingSideways

DrivingSideways

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2010 @ 10:38 AM

Is Jackie going to become a lesbian? I thought last week's episode hinted at it with Kevin's jealousy of O'Hara, and Jackie's many thoughtful glances at O'Hara and Julia Ormond. That, and Jackie's hairstyle, added to the fact that 80% of the characters are gay makes me wonder if Jackie is not on one-way train to Lezville.

zither

zither

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2010 @ 11:40 AM

My point was that because he's had to apologize for past behavior, that's the reason he should stop doing it.

He didn't have to apologize. He did so voluntarily.

And My point was that Jackie isn't an innocent party here. She often "starts" it with snide comments like "Shouldn't you be peeing into a cup right now?" Even when he's not doing anything she singles him out because she can't stand the fact that he's there and knows her secret. It's one of the reasons that she got rid of him last season. His being obviously high was a convenient excuse . If he had been high but functional (the way she spends most of her days), she would have found another.

She is just as much of a jerk.

Floridabound

Floridabound

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2010 @ 12:11 PM

She is just as much of a jerk.

And for once the jerk (although I don't think her anything of the sort) is female!

How cool is that.

Rockbell

Rockbell

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2010 @ 12:45 PM

But would he really have not been allowed in the ICU?

Have things changed? Are gay husbands/wives allowed in the ICU now? How wonderful if they are.

I think laws whether same-sex partners have full spousal rights vary from state to state. I don't know what NY law is on this, but again, if you consider the fact that he had the right to decide when to "pull the plug," I think we could assume that he would have been allowed to be in the ICU as well. To put it bluntly, getting to "pull the plug" on someone is sort of the ultimate "privilege," so I can't imagine he wouldn't have been allowed in the ICU.

frostedglass

frostedglass

Stalker

• Interests:Comedy, yoga, reading TWoP

Posted May 12, 2010 @ 1:58 PM

DrivingSideways, I don't get the, Jackie is heading to taco-land, vibe. I took her jealousy or glances at O'Hara as "I thought *I* was her bff" kind of looks or vibe. O'Hara is the only one who knows all of Jackie's secrets, yet Jackie wasn't let in on O'Hara's personal life or secret until the 11th hour. I think Jackie wants to be O'Hara's confidant and bff, but I don't feel like Jackie was crushing on her. Nothing is out of the question, of course, but I just haven't got that impression thus far.

DrivingSideways

DrivingSideways

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2010 @ 2:38 PM

I don't get the, Jackie is heading to taco-land, vibe

Bwahahaha! One of my favorite sentences ever. I think your vibe is correct.

MyrnaMinkoff

MyrnaMinkoff

Just Tuned In

Posted May 12, 2010 @ 3:50 PM

President Obama issued a mandate extending hospital visitation rights to gay and lesbian partners about a month ago:

http://www.nytimes.c.../16webhosp.html

However, when this episode was written/filmed, that would not have been the case, and it is unlikely that Harvey's character would have been able to ride in the ambulance or allowed visitation in the ICU. I had no problems with that part of the episode. I'm loving the things that the Sarah story arc are doing for Dr. O'Hara's character in terms of the emotions and actions we're getting to see from her, but I don't care for it otherwise. Something's slightly off; it's clumsy. I do hope that it makes clear to at least a few people in the audience, though, that it is possible to be bisexual. I love that about O'Hara.