Cooking Channel: Mmmm or Half-Baked?

• Please log in to reply

867 replies to this topic

PaminBB

PaminBB

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 2, 2012 @ 5:58 PM

Anyone else catch that new Baron something show that was on at 10 PM yesterday? I and MrinBB thought that the shtick was pretty distracting, but we stuck with it as he grew up just outside of Bridgeport and we thought it might provide some places to try when we visit the area. I hope that future episodes are toned down a bit.

tanuki

tanuki

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 7:26 AM

I caught the "Baron's" show, which they had the audacity to premiere following back-to-back episodes of "Good Eats".

You could almost visualize the meeting where they came up with the concept for this show:

"Hey, remember how great it was when Alton Brown put skits into a cooking show?"
"What if we did something similar but give it a twist?"
"How about we keep the skits but instead of cooking we'll have the guy tour restaurants!"

And so Baron Ambrosia was born.

One long, boring skit from the cutting room floor of "Good Eats"

Haveahabit

Haveahabit

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 1:38 PM

I live in a town close to Bridgeport and I had hoped the show would highlight some of the city's hidden treasures. Boy, was I disappointed. That well and truly sucked.

qvole

qvole

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 1:50 PM

Baron Ambrosia has apparently been around for awhile. Fortunately, I've managed to avoid him thus far (like killer bees) -- now that he's invaded Cooking Channel, guess I'll just have to try a little harder.

Leshyn63

Leshyn63

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 9:45 PM

Just read the above link - it explains a lot about "Baron Ambrosia." Yup, that show is definitely public access-quality TV. I watched about 15 minutes in slack-jawed disbelief, and *click*

Next!

BenPanced

BenPanced

Fanatic

Posted Jul 1, 2012 @ 6:06 PM

I watched an entire episode so I demand combat pay. Yeah, director John Waters had a part but that wasn't enough to make me keep coming back.

Both Esquire Magazine and Boing Boing have called Baron Ambrosia "The Ali G of Food."

Man, thems fightin' words where I come from.

Oh, look. They're debuting ANOTHER show where somebody tours the country in search of the out-of-the-way, hole-in-the-wall places nobody except the locals know about! How many times can they repeat this formula without doubling up on the eateries? (Hidden Eats, USA vs. Roadtrip with G. Garvin vs. Baron Ambrosia)

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Jul 1, 2012 @ 6:22 PM

Don't forget Jeffrey Saad's show and Aarti also has a new "visit the eatery" show. I suppose this is better than what Food Network is doing -- endless spinoffs of "Restaurant Impossible."

qvole

qvole

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 1, 2012 @ 7:26 PM

"Hidden Eats" is Aarti Sequeira's new show. I inadvertently saw a few minutes of it today & she was almost as annoying as Rachael Ray used to be in her travel/giggle show.

Imonna

Imonna

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 2, 2012 @ 7:06 AM

I hate, hate Baron Ambrosia. Way too over the top for me. I dislike G. Garvin for the same reason. Why does the Cooking Channel think that these type of shows, with the off the wall overacting, and the "in your face I'm-cool-and-I'm-gonna-rock-ya" personalities? I don't get it. Downhill, yeah, in my opinion, just landed in the dumpster at the bottom of the hill. Give me Aunt Sandy any day. Then at least I'd have something to laugh about.

LivenLetLive

LivenLetLive

Fanatic

Posted Jul 3, 2012 @ 8:53 PM

I hate the Baron too---I weep when I think of how wonderful a truly quirky show like "Supersizers Go..." is, TCC has failed to find another show as entertaining as that one.

qvole

qvole

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 7, 2012 @ 12:06 PM

I stumbled upon a new show this morning: "Home Cooking Made Easy", with Lorraine Pascale of "Simply Baking". Such a pleasure to see her again in something new -- I recorded it but haven't had a chance to watch it yet, hope it's as good as the other one. Saturdays, 9:30am (EDT)

CPP83

CPP83

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2012 @ 3:09 PM

I weep when I think of how wonderful a truly quirky show like "Supersizers Go..." is, TCC has failed to find another show as entertaining as that one.

That has much to do, I think, with that show having been produced by the BBC years ago and TCC had nothing to do with its conception. Most of their shows, imo, aren't the best, such as every single one of those horrible shows headlined by TNFNWS rejects that really grate, and the ones that often are enjoyable are previously produced shows they've just picked up from other channels, or even countries.

But speaking of "The Supersizers Go", they are re airing the Restoration episode tonight at nine. That is one of my favorites.

Glory

Glory

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2012 @ 7:30 AM

I saw a random episode of "What Would Brian Boitano Make?" yesterday and it cracked my shit up. I'd never heard of that show before and did a little head scratch when it came on. A cute show with some easy, yummy recipes. I'll have to set my DVR to pick up some re-runs.

Imonna

Imonna

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 9, 2012 @ 4:30 PM

I saw a random episode of "What Would Brian Boitano Make?" yesterday and it cracked my shit up. I'd never heard of that show before and did a little head scratch when it came on. A cute show with some easy, yummy recipes. I'll have to set my DVR to pick up some re-runs.

Oh I couldn't agree more, I loved his show!

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2012 @ 7:09 PM

I'm disappointed that I missed Lorraine's new show. My DVR guide just said, "TBD." Since I trust TCC now about as much as a trust FN, I didn't bother to risk it. I noticed that they've moved Laura Calder's show to 8 a.m. on Saturday's, so I guess she's a lead in to LP. I still wish that they'd show fewer episodes of Giada's old shows and show Brian Boitano's and Aarti's shows. Yes, they're reruns, too, but I've only seen each episode once (maybe a few twice) and that's better than the constant repeats of the same 7 or 8 episodes of "Everyday Italian." I also wish TCC would break up the Friday night programming. I can't sit through hours of "Good Eats" and I don't.

Is "Chuck's Day Off" coming back with new episodes? I've been watching that, but I'm quickly tiring of it. I don't think it needs to be on every day. There is something off-putting about Chuck. His food always looks good, but he's way too intense and it seems like the only words he knows are "beautiful," "perfect," and "awesome." He seems more grown up and toned down in his series that he filmed in Mexico as well as when he auditioned for "Iron Chef America." He seems like one of those talents who needs some time to develop and mature, and then he'll really be enjoyable to watch.

Edited by grisgris, Jul 9, 2012 @ 7:15 PM.

qvole

qvole

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 9, 2012 @ 8:15 PM

grisgris, that's how I discovered Lorraine Pascale's new show this past Sat, because it came on right after Laura Calder's show. I had the TV on while getting dressed or I might have missed it -- never saw any ads for it, even though they tend to advertise things to death. Still haven't watched my recording (maybe tomorrow), so don't know whether it's any good -- but it's likely to be rerun forever, just as her first show was.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2012 @ 5:38 PM

I LOVE Lorraine's new show. I first started watching her baking show because she was my "Nigella" substitute. I can have the TV on in the background and hear Lorraine speak and still think it's Nigella because they not only sound alike, but use many of the same phrases.

However, Lorraine's show is no longer background TV for me because I've been taping it every week. I enjoy the show because we get the whole package -- savory main courses, as well as baking. Of course, I would never have the interest (or patience) to try something like that "sheaf of wheat" baguette or "grafitti cake" she made this weekend, but I'd definitely try some of her other recipes.

In fact, I need some advice. I watched her show where she made the mini beef wellingtons. That would be perfect for me because if I made an entire full-sized one, it would go bad or I'd be tired of eating it after a few days. I thought of making two of those for my birthday. A friend gave me a package of steaks last weekend when I was recovering from foot surgery and I broke the package down and froze them in packets of two. I don't know what you'd call the cut, but they are like medallions, no bone and very little fat; about an inch thick. I've had them before.

Anyway, do you think those would work in place of a cut of tenderloin? You bake them for 14 minutes to get a medium rare temperature. I am afraid the steak would overcook and dry out. However, that's about as long as I'd cook them on the stovetop (I have an electric stove) and they come out just fine. I think that with the moist layer of mushroom topping and that they'd be encased in the puff pastry, they'd be OK.

Now, if we could get some new episodes of Laura Calder and Chuck Hughes, I'd be a happy camper.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2012 @ 7:20 PM

grisgris, I enjoy Laura Calder too, but I think I read that she's not interested in doing any more cooking shows for TV, and is pursuing other endeavors. Too bad.

mousie

mousie

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 29, 2012 @ 9:42 PM

Her website is not showing up right now, but she has posted previously that she taped a special that will be on CC, in August IIRC. It will be about travels and food in France.

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted Jul 30, 2012 @ 8:13 AM

It sounds like that special would be right up my alley, but I can't get the Cooking Channel (I don't think). I'm disappointed if Calder's not doing any more tv shows. I really like her approach, and her shows were ones I felt I could actually learn something from.

The contest show about the Next Great President's Choice Frozen Dinner (or whatever it was called) was a waste of her talents, I thought.

Edited by Sandman, Jul 30, 2012 @ 8:18 AM.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

Posted Jul 30, 2012 @ 9:40 AM

It sounds like that special would be right up my alley, but I can't get the Cooking Channel (I don't think).

You'll probably have to keep pestering your provider. I did some research, and it looks like Scripps is trying to sell the Cooking Channel as a basic channel only, which is probably why your provider hasn't added it yet.

What that means is that Scripps is insisting that your company pays them a monthly fee for every single basic cable subscriber (like ESPN, CNN, or The Food Network.) Per the ratings, it would probably be fair to say that for every one of us who would watch this channel occasionally to frequently, there are going to be 3 or 4 people who would rarely or never watch it, but will be forced to pay for it.

If enough people complain, or if the ratings for CC get better (it's doing pretty well so far), you'll eventually get it.

Edited by JTMacc99, Jul 30, 2012 @ 9:40 AM.

IOU_Payne

IOU_Payne

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2012 @ 10:07 AM

It sounds like that special would be right up my alley, but I can't get the Cooking Channel (I don't think). I'm disappointed if Calder's not doing any more tv shows. I really like her approach, and her shows were ones I felt I could actually learn something from.

The contest show about the Next Great President's Choice Frozen Dinner (or whatever it was called) was a waste of her talents, I thought.

I'm assuming you're Canadian by the fact that you saw "Recipe to Riches", and we don't get the CC. But many of the CC shows are FNC staples, such as Eat St., Chuck's Day Off, FF@H, etc.

In fact, we should have a separate Food Network Canada thread so we can discuss John Catucci, Bob Blumer, and the ubiquitous Chef Michael Smith.

BTW, when I tried out for Recipe to Riches, Laura was not the warmest when she was interacting with the contestants before the judging. Dana and Tony were much more extroverted. But we did have some nice Twitter exchanges prior to the auditions. And I didn't make it past the prelims, so I can't give you any more scoops. Till next year :-)

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted Jul 30, 2012 @ 11:49 AM

I'm assuming you're Canadian by the fact that you saw "Recipe to Riches", and we don't get the CC. But many of the CC shows are FNC staples, such as Eat St., Chuck's Day Off, FF@H, etc.

That's what it was called! Thank you. I'm interested to hear that you auditioned for it. Sounds like it could have been nerve-racking. (I don't know how surprised I am to hear that Calder wasn't the warmest presence. I think she's capable of great warmth, but I understand she has a chillier side, as well.

You assume correctly: I'm Canadian, and I watch Food Network Canada - or rather, I used to. I find FN Canada is undergoing something like the change that went through the Food Network earlier - a shift away from instruction, and towards competitive shows and "lifestyle" (if that's the word I want) programming. It would seem that Cooking Channel Canada is the next logical step. (When the Cooking Channel started up it seemed to me like Food Network Canada Comes To The US. But FNC seems to have dropped French Food At Home and Chef At Home, too (not to mention The Main - does anybody know what happened to poor Anthony Sedlak? A heart attack, I'm presuming).

FNC seems to have a lot of over-eating shows - Guy Fieri, You Gotta Eat Here (or as I like to call it, No, I Don't Gotta!) Extreme Food (which, eek.)

I still watch Chuck's Day Off occasionally.

Edited by Sandman, Jul 30, 2012 @ 11:51 AM.

Leshyn63

Leshyn63

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 4, 2012 @ 9:48 PM

The Fabulous Beekman Boys show is moving to the Cooking Channel.

PaminBB

PaminBB

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 5, 2012 @ 5:20 PM

Does anyone know if there are any more episodes of Lorraine Pascale's new show (can't recall the name)? Because yesterday they re-ran one of the old ones again, do they only come in small sets? I would love to see more. She is in my opinion very natural on camera and her food looks lovely.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Aug 5, 2012 @ 9:41 PM

I was disappointed, too. How many episode of her new show there, three? Four? Hopefully, it was a scheduling thing and we'll see more new episodes. I agree that Lorraine is great in front of the camera and all of her food looks delicious. I'm trying the mini wellingtons next weekend for my birthday. I don't know if I'll be able to find dried morels, but I am eager to try the recipe.

Glory

Glory

Fanatic

Posted Aug 13, 2012 @ 8:30 AM

I don't think Bobby Deen has his own thread, but I need to confess something -- I watched his show the other day. And I actually WROTE DOWN a recipe! It was a recipe for baked mac & cheeze with cauliflower and peas in it. It looked really good. I figured I could easily veganize it.

What has the world boiled down to? Someone save me!

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

Posted Aug 15, 2012 @ 9:17 AM

What has the world boiled down to? Someone save me!

Hee!

Having cooked some Vegan food for a while, I would guess that pretty much any source of ideas is welcome, even one from Bobby Deen or similar Cooking Channel hosts.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

Posted Aug 20, 2012 @ 7:54 AM

Well, I watched Eden Eats on Friday night. Yes, it is yet another version of "person travels around and eats at restaurants", but I liked it for two reasons.

First, the concept of going to the really off the beaten path local ethic places is different and, at least for me, interesting. Hell, I would probably really like going to the local Bosnian joint ,if there were one and if I could motivate myself to do so. By watching this show, I just might get motivated enough to do so.

Second, unlike the other hosts of such shows, like Food Network Star loser Jeffrey who I always thought was creepy, Guy, who has some charm but is a big goofy guy, Anthony Bourdain, who is entertaining in a "I like it when he insults everybody" kind of way, Eden is an young woman.

The only other versions of this show I can remember featuring a woman would be Rachel Ray's $40 a day and I think they sent Giada around once in a while. It's about time they brought somebody from the outside to do this. (It also doesn't hurt that she's easy on the eyes and then sort of becomes even more attractive as she dives into these experiences with what seems to be a real enthusiasm.)

As for the show itself, I think I had almost a good a time with the Thai lady in Nashville as Eden did.

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2012 @ 1:14 AM

Second, unlike the other hosts of such shows, like Food Network Star loser Jeffrey who I always thought was creepy, Guy, who has some charm but is a big goofy guy, Anthony Bourdain, who is entertaining in a "I like it when he insults everybody" kind of way, Eden is an young woman.

Witness the nose ring.

Apparently she's not that long out of culinary school? Wow. How the heck did she get this gig? But per her bio, its a pretty good culinary school-- Le Cordon Bleu--so she's not a hack or anything.

Okay, I answered my own question. She's got a blog of a similar name to her show. Mystery solved. Someone at the network clearly got into her blog and they tried her out for a show. Its become a very standard way to get shows these days, and how she looks (tall, young, attractive, a little bit "alt" but not threateningly so) helps too.