Crowley: He's a Lover in League Against Satan

• Please log in to reply

87 replies to this topic

caseylane

caseylane

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2011 @ 8:52 AM

Oh Crowley definitely respects the Winchesters. Just remember: "Am I the only one who doesn't underestimate those denim-wrapped NIGHTMARES!!"

I loved that line! That's what upset me so much about Cas not going to Dean. Crowley knows they are a force to be reckoned with, Cas on the other hand seems to have a short memory, or the arrogance of angels.

I actually think Crowley would make a better Satan than Lucifer. All of the soft spoken "I'll never lie to you" vs someone that actually seems to enjoy the game. Yep, Crowley for the win.

gingerbeard

gingerbeard

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 21, 2011 @ 1:41 PM

Were they hellhounds? No on could see them. Ah, the plot thickens.

I always wondered about that, because it almost seemed like Dean could see them. It could just be he was extra familiar with the sense of their presence from being mauled to death by them and then spending decades in Hell but he kind of seemed to know exactly what and where they were in that one episode with Crowley.

Oh Crowley definitely respects the Winchesters. Just remember: "Am I the only one who doesn't underestimate those denim-wrapped NIGHTMARES!!"

Best line! And so true, I mean the hell is wrong with those people/beings?

Izanami

Izanami

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 21, 2011 @ 6:21 PM

I agree. Crowley isn't one to underestimate the Winchesters and I feel he does respect their ability to overcome innumerable odds and defeat the enemy, no matter how powerful that enemy is.

yimhappy

yimhappy

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 21, 2011 @ 3:50 PM

Mark Sheppard is going to Comic Con, on the SPN panel - is that a good sign or what? Crowley is one of my favorite villains - yay!

Blackmantra53

Blackmantra53

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2011 @ 7:23 PM

Mark Sheppard is going to Comic Con, on the SPN panel - is that a good sign or what? Crowley is one of my favorite villains - yay!

Indeed, Crowley is my favorite villain as well and I'm certain the deal Castiel reneged on is uppermost in his mind at the moment.

Brina24

Brina24

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 28, 2012 @ 4:48 PM

I'm of two minds about the direction Crowley is taking this season. On one hand he is a very very good villain and I love to watch him be bad. However, he's being a bit too bad this season to the point where the Winchesters will have to get rid of him, which distresses me! When he was just a bit naughty, it made sense that the writers could get away with not killing him off but now he's bad bad, not just a little bad, it's not really feasible to have him on the show for too long doing the bad things he's doing.
That said I would be completely comfertable with him killing people week after week just as long as that sarcastic wit stays on my tv screen.

OncomingStorm

OncomingStorm

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

I love Crowley so much, and he makes a great Heel Face Revolving Door type ally/opponent, but I really fear he won't survive this season, which would be a shame. He's one of the best characters. Hope we get an episode centered on him, more backstory or just his POV.

katierose295

katierose295

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 11:00 PM

Hope we get an episode centered on him, more backstory or just his POV.

An episode from Crowley's POV would be awesome. I picture it like the BtVS episode "The Zeppo" where Buffy and Angel battle some horrible hell monster -mostly off screen- while we followed Zander's lesser adventures around Sunnydale. In this case, Sam/Dean are Angel/Buffy and Crowley is Zander. I can just picture his WTF? face as they race passed him with swords to battle some unseen monster.

NoWillToResist

NoWillToResist

Stalker

Posted Nov 14, 2012 @ 12:09 PM

I loved that line! That's what upset me so much about Cas not going to Dean. Crowley knows they are a force to be reckoned with, Cas on the other hand seems to have a short memory, or the arrogance of angels.

I always had the impression that Cas didn't want to trouble Dean with all this crap again (thinking of when he was watching Dean rake leaves). So, when Crowley turned up and offered to help, I think Cas had hoped there was a way of cleaning up the angel-related messes without bothering the Winchesters again.

I love Crowley but I suspect 90% of that is due to the actor who plays him. Love that man. I think I've enjoyed every character I've seen him play.

mizkat

mizkat

Fanatic

Posted Nov 16, 2012 @ 6:58 AM

I love Crowley but I suspect 90% of that is due to the actor who plays him. Love that man. I think I've enjoyed every character I've seen him play.

Oh definitely. His line delivery is awesome. The character verges on scenery chewing, but Sheppard has managed to prevent it so far.

NoWillToResist

NoWillToResist

Stalker

Posted Nov 16, 2012 @ 8:32 AM

I want to know whose idea it was for Crowley to blow on a pinwheel when he was bored while Kevin translated the tablet. That visual was hilarious to me for some reason; it was just so...random. And then the way he flicked it away when Kevin got to the good part? Hee!!

DementedDaisy

DementedDaisy

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 12:48 PM

All this talk of "curing" demons and wondering where they go afterwards makes me wonder about Crowley.  I've always been under the impression that the body he inhabits is his own, not a meatsuit.  Every other demon, even Lucifer, has body-swapped, but Crowley has always been Crowley.  Why is Crowley able to use his corporeal body when other demons have to possess humans?  Was this covered in earlier episodes (maybe Weekend at Bobby's)?

Austinthecat

Austinthecat

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 1:09 PM

Why is Crowley able to use his corporeal body when other demons have to possess humans? 

Do we know for sure that it's his corporeal body? As I recall, YED had to still use a meatsuit, and if he couldn't use his original body and/or create one, would Crowley be able to?

I'm assuming here at that the time YED was alive, Crowley ranked pretty low.

supposebly

supposebly

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 2:12 PM

Crowley has finally earned his villain status. So far, I only liked him because Mark Sheppard is awesome. Now, the writers made him more than just a villain with a tendency for nicknames. Kudos for making me hate him while still adoring him. I will actually be sad when he's gone.

I loved Abbadon's incredulity when she heard he was the king of hell. "The salesman?" That's what crossroads demons go as in the hell hierarchy.

Edited by supposebly, May 9, 2013 @ 2:13 PM.

DementedDaisy

DementedDaisy

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 4:37 PM

Austinthecat, that's what I'm confused about.  I don't remember it ever being discussed one way or another.  I assumed that it was Crowley's original body based upon his accent, the painting of himself, and the fact that he's never possessed another body.

After doing some research, in The Devil You Know, Crowley says that his meatsuit is a reasonably successful literary agent from New York.   

Austinthecat

Austinthecat

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 5:08 PM

After doing some research, in The Devil You Know, Crowley says that his meatsuit is a reasonably successful literary agent from New York.  

Huh...interesting. I'm assumingsince both literary agents and New York didn't exist when he and Naomi claim they met up in Mesopotamia, that he must have had other meat suits at other times. That makes sense, but for some reason Crowley gives off the vibe of having always been in his current body.

Does anyone else recall if he discussed only ever having been in this body or is that fan assumption? The ghost of his son certainly seemed to recognize him, though maybe he could just see the "soul" of the demon.

The accent thing is interesting too, unless the literary agent from New York was originally from overseas. Most demons take on the accent of their current meat suit.

I'm either talking myself in circles or there is a continuity screw up.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 5:21 PM

I think when Mark Sheppard was asked about it on Twitter a few months ago he essentially said Crowley lies.

DementedDaisy

DementedDaisy

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 5:42 PM

So, basically, we have no idea who Crowley is, other than he lived in Scotland in the 1600's (since his bones were buried there), he and his son hated each other, and he sold his soul for an extra 3 inches below the belt (all info we got from his son).   Okay, there must be a continuity error here, since Mesopotamia ceased to exist around the mid 7th century AD.  I suppose it's possible that the angels still refer to the area by its ancient name.

ETA The implication, though, was that Crowley and Naomi have known each other for centuries, perhaps a millennia or more. But Crowley was human, he was not a demon that has been possessing a human. Bad writing or retconning?

Edited by DementedDaisy, May 9, 2013 @ 5:47 PM.

supposebly

supposebly

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 5:57 PM

I think the scene with Naomi was just bad and lazy writing. Also, I find it easier to ignore a scene than a whole episode that told us about Crowley's origins. The accent certainly isn't Scottish, so I never thought this was his only meatsuit.

Also, the idea that angels are having sex with demons is just so ridiculous. They see the demon's ugly face, I don't think that's particularly sexy. And if nephilim are an abomination, I don't know what sex with a demon would be.

MichaelaBelle

MichaelaBelle

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 6:08 PM

I assumed that it was Crowley's original body based upon his accent, the painting of himself, and the fact that he's never possessed another body.

In Weekend at Bobby's, Crowley went to Scotland to collect his bones before the Winchesters burned them. There wasn't any indication that those weren't his real bones. I remembered how pathetic he looked gathering up his remains. The bones that Cas burned several episodes later weren't his bones, but that doesn't mean the bones he collected in Scotland weren't really his. If those really were his bones, I don't see how he could be using his original body.

DLJ

DLJ

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 10:30 PM

I assumed that it was Crowley's original body based upon his accent, the painting of himself, and the fact that he's never possessed another body.

Crowely did say he was in the body of a something or another when we first met him back in S5 and he also possessed Kevin's mom back in that auction episode at the start of the season--she spoke with the accent also. Of course, I assumed that was the writer's way of letting us poor stupid audience members know it was Crowely, same with his smoke being red, since he was "King of the Crossroads" and all. I think that Crowely is possessing the body he is inhabiting just like every other demon on the show, it's just that the show loves Mark Sheppard so they don't have a need for a Crowely 2.0 yet like they did with Meg and Ruby.

Austinthecat

Austinthecat

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 7:44 AM

Of course, I assumed that was the writer's way of letting us poor stupid audience members know it was Crowely, same with his smoke being red, since he was "King of the Crossroads" and all.

I think what annoys me with this is that every other demon changes their voice when they switch meat suits. What is the explanation within the show for him still having his accent? Ok...there likely isn't one, I know.

I think that Crowely is possessing the body he is inhabiting just like every other demon on the show, it's just that the show loves Mark Sheppard so they don't have a need for a Crowely 2.0

True, but I think it's reached the point where Crowley is a serious threat that needs to be put down, and I hope they don't show the guys being incompetent just to keep Mark on the show.

DLJ

DLJ

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 9:18 AM

True, but I think it's reached the point where Crowley is a serious threat that needs to be put down, and I hope they don't show the guys being incompetent just to keep Mark on the show.

Well, that's the crust of it...I think they already have. Just the fact that Crowely is still alive--well dead but alive, whatever--still around is proof of that. They should have stabbed him with the demon killing knife ages ago. Of course now that he is so powerful, the knife probably won't work so there's a way out for the show. Just to be clear, I do love Mark Sheppard and sometimes his appearances are the only saving grace in an episode, but it just doesn't make sense that he's survived all these years. 

Brina24

Brina24

Video Archivist

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 2:30 PM

So is crowley genuinely feeling remorseful or was he playing Sam? This is the question!
"Where do I even begin to look for forgivness.." - real or fake, that was intense.
Personally, i'll take any reason to have Crowley on the show but this last season he's gotten to bad to keep showing up and not getting taken out. I think his turning point for me wasn't even when he kidnapped Kevin but when he cut off his fingers and he's just got worse from there e.g Sheriff mills fake date -which was hilarious.
If they could keep him mostly good, with a hint of naughty, ill be happy because he can keep popping up every so often and still be quite fun, whereas I don't know if his character would work if they made him Completely human. That said, Mark Sheppard is awesome and could probably make Crowley as a mime artist, highly entertaining.

Edited by Brina24, May 29, 2013 @ 9:00 AM.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted May 30, 2013 @ 3:19 PM

I read that today is Mark Sheppard's birthday. While I think Crowley is a very problematic character (especially his treatment of women), and I wouldn't be sorry to see him go, this is a good time to say just how much Mark's work in the finale blew me away - he could have made that material into an ugly mess, but I was hanging onto every word. Such intensity, charisma, and pathos. I knew he could play sarcastic and witty, and comedy, but this was so much more. Whatever happens next season I hope we get to see more of just how talented he truly is. 

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted Oct 11, 2013 @ 9:00 PM

I have no idea where to putt this, does anyone know if Mark Sheppard is now a series regular? He was at Comic Con, used in two of the new to Tuesday promos and I saw him in the poster.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Oct 11, 2013 @ 9:44 PM

I think he's still recurring, as otherwise they probably would have said it, the way they did with Misha. He works quite a bit outside of Supernatural.

I really love Mark, but I have had just about my fill of anything Crowley. 

DLJ

DLJ

Fanatic

Posted Oct 13, 2013 @ 3:15 PM

I'm with you here steve91199, I love Mark, but Crowely has outlived his welcome, IMO.  But since I don't rule the universe, my understanding is he is recurring, as well, just not available for filming of the premier so they had him in the trunk--which I have to admit gave me a full-on laugh.