You Know You're Obsessed With "Breaking Bad" When...

• Please log in to reply

338 replies to this topic

birdythurs

birdythurs

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 11:56 AM

...watching an old episode of Mission: Impossible that has someone buried alive. The show did that lying-below-looking-up point-of-view shot and the bad guy is throwing dirt to cover the camera lens/your face. My first thought? "That's the Breaking Bad shot!" Even knowing full well it was forty years too early to be a shout-out. Yes, this show has taken over my mind. (Now I'm wondering if Rollin could do the makeup to take someone's face off. And wanting to see Barney on a mission using scientific/mechianical genius to sabotage the superlab. Good grief I need help.)

Edited by birdythurs, Apr 20, 2012 @ 11:57 AM.

ConstableClyde

ConstableClyde

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 3:29 PM

Whenever you refer to New Mexico you have to make a meth reference.

Chained Melody

Chained Melody

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 4:07 PM

...you get really excited when you realize you have the exact same blouse Betsy Brandt wears in one of the episodes, and when you try to explain why that is cool to your non-Breaking Bad obsessed friends they give you a look that says "you need to stop watching so much television."

myname2use4now

myname2use4now

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 5:53 PM

You're planning a trip to Santa Fe in May and you add in a couple of days in ABQ so you can drive around and see where they shoot BB. Yep. I am. And I can't freakin' wait, yo!

lurk3000

lurk3000

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 9:56 PM

Be sure to check out this flickr photo set that details the ABQ locations, in case you haven't already.

OoogleEyes

OoogleEyes

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 2, 2012 @ 9:17 PM

You put Breaking Bad into your Netflix queue so that you (even though you've watched every episode from the beginning) can be thoroughly caught up before the premiere

Edited by OoogleEyes, Jun 2, 2012 @ 9:20 PM.

JOnanGoopta

JOnanGoopta

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 11:08 AM

Note: AMC is airing the first four seasons starting Sunday, so you can catch up even without Netflix.

MBayGal

MBayGal

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 3, 2012 @ 9:21 PM

. . . you're at the Boise Airport to pick up a friend and suddenly wonder if Aaron Paul might be flying home to spend 4th of July with his family. And get so engrossed in scanning the crowds for Aaron that you almost miss your friend's arrival.

Jst

Jst

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 4, 2012 @ 6:52 AM

You spend an hour at JC Penney looking at shirts trying to decide which shade of green is closest to Walt's.

skeb

skeb

Fanatic

Posted Jul 4, 2012 @ 7:55 PM

...you speak about "mad stacks" and say "large" after you say any amount of money ("how much money do you have, honey?" " 25 large.")

Edited by skeb, Jul 4, 2012 @ 7:55 PM.

Millamant

Millamant

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 5, 2012 @ 1:06 PM

You've listened to "Black" at least weekly since last fall (that whole album is awesome!).

You've been sure to tell your gardening friends about lily of the valley's sinister side.

You call your pub trivia team Heisenberg, unless someone else gets there first.

You're obsessing over the preview scene from the premiere, though almost nothing happens in it.

You already have your iTunes season pass, and the issue of when the episodes will be available is keeping you up at night, but you still aren't willing to pay your cable provider $30 more a month for eight episodes of one show.

peachbeserk

peachbeserk

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 5, 2012 @ 6:09 PM

....when you're standing in line at the pharmacy behind a skinny woman with stringy hair who is trying to buy Sudafed and the pharmacy technician is asking for id and having quite a lengthy conversation with her about it and wonder how Jesse was able to so quickly gather up supplies in the early days. Then you notice a walkie talkie thingy on her belt buckle and realize that she has a uniform on. Turns out she is an EMT, and she and the technician are talking about how often the EMT has been called out on meth related medical emergencies. You walk outside and see the ambulance idling in front of the store with no one in it and initially question why the technician would be so careless and then come to the conclusion - who would be dumb enough to steal an ambulance. HMMMMM - maybe Skinny Pete and Badger would!

birdythurs

birdythurs

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 29, 2012 @ 6:40 PM

...when the least little mention/refernece/film clip (be it on screen in the show or in podcasts) completely rearranges your Netflix queue. I sat down with The Caine Mutiny this week (Mike and I could so be TCM buddies) and in addition to the whole how-to-deal-with-the-crazy-guy-in-charge thing I could not help chuckling at one part in Bogart's testimony at the court martial. Bless his heart, I feel sorry for the guy, but I could not help thinking OK, that is a Jesse line. How long we gotta wait for "geometric logic," yo?

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2012 @ 7:30 PM

...when your home Internet is down for over a week, and the first evening it's back up, you spend 2 hours reading the last 18 pages of posts on the BB season finale thread and then posting.

birdythurs

birdythurs

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 12, 2012 @ 10:44 PM

...when you start to ask the pharmacist for "pseudo" and realize you probably ought to be a little more formal.

...when walking past the geology section of the library one volume just has in big letters on the spine "Minerals" and you smile every time you pass it. It just makes me happy...

spiritfox

spiritfox

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 13, 2012 @ 2:14 AM

When, anytime you are feeling good (waking up refreshed after a much-needed good sleep; feeling well again after having been sick; etc) you kick your feet and yell "Riverdance!!!"

DrLar

DrLar

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 14, 2012 @ 2:29 PM

Personally and mentioned here by some, we do the Breaking Bad watching parties at a friend's house (the one that has the biggest TV and sound system)

We have for food: Fried Chicken, resembling Pollos, Extra Large Pizza, strips of bacon to spell numbers, blue margaritas, and last but not least, blue candy resembling the blue meth.

Of course several with the Mr. Heisenberg T-shirt bought on ebay, a friend went really nuts and bought a sand color Aztec and removed the hubcap.. (guy's crazy about the show).

Oh also most of the ladies wear something purple..

Edited by DrLar, Sep 14, 2012 @ 2:29 PM.

Xbones

Xbones

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2012 @ 6:32 PM

That's great DrLar, I thought we were obsessed fans, but I believe you've got us beat!

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2012 @ 10:57 PM

DrLar, I'm wondering if you are making that up for fun, but regardless, you should add to either the party or the fantasy: A giant pizza throwing contest. You know, whoever lands one on the roof first wins something BB related.

DrLar

DrLar

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 18, 2012 @ 8:07 AM

I'm not that obsessed by my friends are, I just bring the fried chicken LOL..

Yeah Pizza Tossing contest? but I'm hungry and want to eat it not throw it away..

We live 6 hours driving time from ABQ, some of my obsessed friends have gone there and taken the BB tour..

birdythurs

birdythurs

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 20, 2012 @ 11:26 AM

As awesome as a viewing party is (I love the themed food!), I find myself getting frustrated when I have to catch people up while the episode is in progress. I'd be the bouncer at the door: "Will you keep quiet during crucial dialogue? Do you have obsessively detailed recall of every little nuance and casual remark since the pilot? No? Sorry, hit your Netflix and come back next season."

But you know you're obsessed when...upon seeing an article about research into the Black Death being used for modern medical treatments your first thought is, of course: "Yeah, history! Yeah, science!" (Hey, I gotta represent Team Humanities too.)

LevitateMe

LevitateMe

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 2:06 PM

This Thanksgiving week has given me a lot to share here!

YKYOWBBW:

1) You refer to your dog's new food that she can't get enough of as "her blue meth"
2) "Church" or "church, yo" are fixtures in your vocab... us Humanities folks are just down like that I guess?
3) You almost have a fit laughing at Thanksgiving dinner when your wacky Aunt's ipod mix includes Crystal Blue Persuasion
4) You almost have a fit laughing during Lincoln (not cool!) with your whole family as soon as you see Gale and then spend the rest of the day singing in your head "Earth below us, drifting falling, floating weightless, calling calling..."
5) You can't watch the show with casual fans a la birdy's comment below because.... you just can't!
6) When you come back to your office after being gone a week, one of the law firms downstairs has a mailroom guy on the elevator with you taking stuff from floor to floor. He's got a bunch of mail and redwells and boxes of papers for discovery and... a green thing. You ask him what it is and he says a boxcutter, but don't worry, it's only dangerous when you unlock it. You pretend to be cool but silently freak out.

Edited by LevitateMe, Nov 26, 2012 @ 2:12 PM.

Bob1965

Bob1965

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 1:23 AM

Be sure to check out this flickr photo set that details the ABQ locations, in case you haven't already.

That was pretty cool. Thanks.

LevitateMe

LevitateMe

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 3:24 PM

ok- you know that your obsession with Breaking Bad is quite serious and actually contagious when you name your fantasy football team Los Pollos Hermanos in the '11 season (and win), and then when you go back to sign up for the '12 season, you see that the division names are Better Call Saul and Beneke Fabricators, and that everyone in your league has a team named for BB. Luckily I got Vamonos Pest... in the semis... here's hoping my BB obsession brings me another winning season!

ikar

ikar

Fanatic

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 9:00 PM

Hope you go all the way LevitateMe - my own Vamonos Pest fantasy football team (team motto: We Will Eliminate You) finished in 7th place. Craptacular, I know. Wish you the best.

Elevation

Elevation

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2013 @ 11:08 AM

You send a package to the co-worker who got you hooked on the show and is just as obsessive. He works in a field office and just bought his first house. Package contains a bag of the rock candy used as meth on BB, a box cutter (sadly, not green), and a note that reads: "Now you can make your own mad cheddar, yo. The mortgage ain't gonna pay itself, BITCH!" Can't wait for him to get it in the mail, heh heh. I already texted him "pollos" ages ago.

HelloPatti

HelloPatti

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2013 @ 9:57 AM

I saw a link on line somewhere (can't remember where) that Jesse's red Toyota is being sold at a used car lot somewhere in New Mexico. I wasn't seriously thinking about buying it, but I do know people that would. I just wanted to fly out there and look at it.

I saw a link on line somewhere (can't remember where) that Jesse's red Toyota is being sold at a used car lot somewhere in New Mexico. I wasn't seriously thinking about buying it, but I do know people that would. I just wanted to fly out there and look at it.

thatguy01

thatguy01

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2013 @ 2:16 PM

Welcome aboard! Jesse's car is near the end of the Media thread.

HelloPatti

HelloPatti

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 10:30 AM

You know you're obsessed with BB when you're watching a mid season 4 episode on your Ipad and simultaneously watching an older episode being broadcast on the Sundance channel on your TV.

BTW, anybody know where I can watch the previous episodes of season 5 besides downloading from Itunes or Amazon? They are not up on Netflix.

thatguy01

thatguy01

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 1:39 PM

Not yet. AMC usually reruns the previous season late on weeknights before the new season. That rerun schedule can be random, so make sure your DVR will record multiple eps on the same day if necessary.