Serena and Blair: What Is You Is Me

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

194 replies to this topic

Philharmanic

Philharmanic

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:24 PM

Yeah, I didn't see Blair kissing Dan's cheek goodbye as a big deal at all. This was after Serena gave her blessing, and again, totally different IMO, because Blair once saw Nate as the love of Serena's life. I don't think DS has been some steady constant in the "love of each other's lives" department.

Serena and Blair just don't have a solid base anymore, unfortunately. The trust was broken when SN slept together, and clearly, it's never fully healed, as evidenced by the fact that these two will go after one another over the pettiest of things in the pettiest of ways (Serena throws Blair in a cake, Blair throws Serena in a fountain, etc).

No Second Troy

No Second Troy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 6:44 AM

I don't think it's incredibly mature to put your best friend in a position to choose between your happiness or her own, especially while her grandmother lay dying 50 feet away. This conversation could've been saved for another time and place. Again, I just don't understand how Blair's sudden kinda sorta feelings of like towards Dan > Serena's belief that he's the love of her life.

What?!?

Serena had straight up asked Blair to stop lying to both of them- demanded that she stop lying- Blair's denial in terms of her feelings for Dan was actually causing her to repeatedly hurt Serena- Serena walking in on their kiss on Valentine's Day and at the UCB play- Serena alrealdy knew Dan had feelings for Blair- until s5x15 I don't think she realised Blair had feelings for Dan but she pieced it together pretty quickly and she demanded that Blair stop pretending there was nothing going on and be honest about her feelings

Blair was prepared not to act on her feelings but I think Serena couldn't let Blair continue as she was because it was just a lie and so she tried to give them her blessing- now I don't believe Serena was in love with Dan- if she loved him she wouldn't have messed him around and stood him up all the time and moved her boyfriend into his apartment or encouraged Ivy to date him- I just think the idea of him choosing Blair over her is (understandably)very hard for her to accept- clearly although she gave her blessing- she's not in fact happy about it at all and this is going to cause Dair serious problems

Blair's sudden kinda sorta feelings of like towards Dan

Look- by all means dislike them if you wish but this has be coming down the track since the the end of the Townie and presumbably you saw the episodes too- Blair chose not to sabotage Dan in s4x13 because she considered him a friend- Dan comforted her when Chuck confessed his love to Raina- they were going on dates for months and pretending nothing was happening- she initiated the kiss in s4x17 and then took to her bed for a week in shock/ denial before engineering another kiss in s4x19

In s5x01- she asked Dan to take her away to the Hamptons as she thought Louis wasn't standing up to his mother- in s5x02 she prays for help and Dan literally appears- she cries of his shoulder and ask him what will happen when if she loses everything- in s05x10- she goes to stay with him in Brookyln- in s5x13 when her marriage falls apart she calls Dan

It's all there on screen- every step of it has been shown-her relationship with Dan hasn't appeared out of nowhere- it is the longest build up arc in this entire show- and she doesn't kinda sorta have feelings of like for him- she told Chuck she wasn't in love with him and Dan that Chuck no longer had her heart-if this was nothing but some mild attraction- Chuck wouldn't be sabotaging Dan's book proposals and Serena wouldn't be going crazy- this is not a fling- I don't care about endgames- that's for the writers but this relationship is significant for both characters

I have sympathy for Serena but really- she can't make Dan love her by keeping Dan and Blair apart- Dan chose Blair not Serena- he doesn't love Serena and what friendship can she hope to have with Blair if she stops her from being with Dan

Edited by No Second Troy, Apr 21, 2012 @ 6:47 AM.

Aftershock

Aftershock

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 9:40 AM

What was the point of Serena’s dream in the 100th? Why go to and put that in there. Tells me all I need to know. Look at how Serena’s feelings for Dan came about, having to read old GG blasts. Her line about Dan being the love of her life is up there with ‘call me Serena’ in terms of lulz. I might leave out some of the guys she has been with since Dan if I start naming them. And Dan was waiting for her in that time and she couldn’t choose.

[I think that] Blair and Serena are totally unbalanced, forget the nasty childish stuff, that’s even enough. In terms of what they have done for each other. Serena is always absent, after the IP, when she worked herself raged and lost W, after her assault, paternity drama, Louis drama, miscarriage, when she was arrested, at her wedding. Nope but Dan was there and still Blair was willing to give that up for her. Meanwhile, Serena is living and sharing a bathroom with Blair while sending GG blasts trying to hurt her.

[snip]

Edited by TWoP Howard, Apr 23, 2012 @ 8:14 PM.
Boards on boards

EBStarr

EBStarr

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 12:52 AM

Blair's sudden kinda sorta feelings of like towards Dan

Look- by all means dislike them if you wish but this has be coming down the track since the the end of the Townie...

I totally agree with No Second Troy that this is really not sudden, but also, I don't think "sorta feelings of like" really describes Blair's feelings. Sorta liking someone and telling them your heart belongs to them are two different things. And because she could tell that those feelings are real, Serena did give Blair her blessing. I think we're seeing her temporarily clutching at nefarious means of trying to break them up through Gossip Girl, but my personal interpretation of it all is that the spirit is willing (Serena knows she should back off for now, no matter how much it hurts), but the flesh is weak (she's got this powerful tool at her disposal, how can she resist using it?).

I also think... YMMV of course... that she fears the loss of Dan because it represents the loss of that period of time when everything came easily to her. She used to let Blair get away with absolute murder towards her (like at the Yale party, etc.) because she was so secure, and Blair was so insecure (as someone already said earlier). Now she is incredibly insecure, so she's scheming. The reversal is pretty well done, even if it's sad to see Serena stooping so low. But kind of realistic, right? I mean, the people who have it easy in high school almost never have it easy afterwards.

Edited by EBStarr, Apr 23, 2012 @ 12:53 AM.

DevilRedeemed

DevilRedeemed

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 11:52 AM

Yeah, I didn't see Blair kissing Dan's cheek goodbye as a big deal at all.

I saw it as a big deal because Serena looked heartbroken when it happened.

when Chuck confessed his love to Raina

When exactly did this happen? Chuck has only ever told one girl in the history of the show that he loved her and that was Blair.

It's all there on screen- every step of it has been shown-her relationship with Dan hasn't appeared out of nowhere- it is the longest build up arc in this entire show- and she doesn't kinda sorta have feelings of like for him- she told Chuck she wasn't in love with him and Dan that Chuck no longer had her heart-if this was nothing but some mild attraction- Chuck wouldn't be sabotaging Dan's book proposals and Serena wouldn't be going crazy- this is not a fling- I don't care about endgames- that's for the writers but this relationship is significant for both characters

I'm not arguing that the relationship is insignificant by any means. I see the buildup for the DB friendship and to some extent, Dan's feelings towards Blair, but I don't see the buildup for Blair's romantic feelings at all. Kissing Dan in S4 made her realize she wanted Chuck and then Dan was completely irrelevant to her by 4.22 when she chose to marry Louis and also slept with Chuck. She spent the first half of S5 talking to Dan about Chuck only to again realize that she wanted Chuck, and then she asked Chuck to raise her baby and was ready to call off her engagement to Louis for Chuck. I find Blair's feelings for Dan to be sudden because there was nothing in the first half of this season that led me to believe that Blair was harboring secret feelings for Dan. 5.7 was classic denial!Blair, but she was in denial over Chuck's growth and her feelings for Chuck, not Dan. What I saw on-screen was Blair reading Inside and realizing Dan was in love with her, and then she suddenly reciprocated those feelings. And given the history between Dan and Serena, I just personally don't believe that Blair's feelings could ever compare to the magnitude of Serena's -- at least not this quickly into the DB relationship.

I have sympathy for Serena but really- she can't make Dan love her by keeping Dan and Blair apart- Dan chose Blair not Serena- he doesn't love Serena and what friendship can she hope to have with Blair if she stops her from being with Dan

I agree that she can't make Dan love her, but I disagree that Dan doesn't love Serena. Yes, Dan chose Blair, but I think Dan is harboring some deep feelings for Serena, evidenced by his resentful jabs at her during the first half of the season and the "lump in [his] throat" after reading about him and Serena's "relationship." I think we'll just have to see how it plays out.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

Stalker

• Interests:If you have a question for me, please use the Messenger/PM system to do that rather than leaving a question on this page (unless you’re a Just Tuned In, who won’t be able to use it until you’ve made ten posts). Thanks!

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 8:12 PM

Please keep in mind that the subject of this thread is the relationship between Serena and Blair. Using Dan’s relationship with Blair as a way to make a point about the relationship between Blair and Serena is okay, but only for a line or two. Any more than that, and the subject of your post is Dan and Blair or Dan and Serena rather than the two women. The bulk of your post needs to be about Serena and Blair as friends.

Light of Night

Light of Night

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:06 PM

Replying to this on Serena's thread.

portiaslegacy

portiaslegacy

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:32 PM

So it seems that for the end S5 both Blair and Serena are in the midst of identity crisis. Blair recognizes that she has lost track of herself while throwing herself in relationships, while Serena fumbles with relating how other people see her to what she wants to be. Right now I'd say Blair has more self awareness (for the first time in a long time) and knows he needs to focus on what she can do, as opposed to trying to control how others see her. They're isn't enough time to explore this right now, but when they do interact this conflict will probably be dramatized.

LadyGuGu

LadyGuGu

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 8:22 PM

I really don't like how B became this pretentious friend to Serena. She acts horribly to her, and it seems "out of blue" as all of her actions.

As much as I loved her finding her old and true self again in the last episode (5x22)- not so much coincidentally when she is apart from Brooklyn and with her real friends who really cares about her and her future- I also still resented at her behaviour to Serena. So I guess the storm is near!

It was also interesting to see her surprised by herself when she cracked the code. LMAO. But Chuck knew she could! And I loved when Serena showed her fascination to her in that scene. She must have been feeling like us. It was amazing to feel old Blair again.

Philharmanic

Philharmanic

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 2:37 PM

I haven't seen Blair act horribly to Serena once this year. Their friendship has always been petty, but it's actually had a few nice moments this season. They both acted very mature about the Dair situation, and since then, they just don't seem to interact much.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 10:48 PM

I'm conflicted about the scenes from this last episode. On the one hand it was nice to see Sarena and Blair being friends and working together (they worked together last week, but there were more cross agendas). On the other hand, a couple of legitimate issues between them which need to be talked through but instead were just hand waved.

Blair is still dating Dan which Serena is clearly still having difficulty with it and, however more easy on Blair "Gossip Girl" may have been under Serena's reign, Blair was entirely too blasé about the fact that Serena was pretty pointed about stirring trouble with Dair. There were at least 2 occasions which Serena posted as GG implying things happening between Chuck and Blair when Serena knew it was innocent.

Ultimately, my biggest issue with last night's Serena/Blair interaction is that, base on the promos, it seems like it was a cheap way to give us some signs of their friendship and bond in order to setup a blowup next week.

Skittles00

Skittles00

Channel Surfer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 1:21 PM

I actually found it laughable that Blair would be upset with Serena at all regarding S being Gossip Girl because I think it hardly compares to the terrible friend Blair has been to Serena all season.

First of all, Blair is dating Dan and openly admitted to Serena in the last episode that she doesn't love him. On the other hand, Blair knows that Serena is in love with Dan, yet she's willing to date him when she just likes him and is fully aware of how much it hurts Serena? If Blair loved Dan, I feel like it would be different because both of them would love the same guy, but Blair doesn't seem that into Dan at all, which makes her relationship with him even more unnecessarily hurtful to Serena.

Next, Serena has dealt with so much this season. Finding out she has a half-sister, watching her dad eagerly try to get to know said half-sister, being fired from multiple jobs, losing her grandmother, etc and where has Blair been? In her selfish, oblivious bubble.

And yet, Blair has the audacity to tell Serena she needs to repay her. Wow.

Snapshots

Snapshots

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 4:07 PM

Skittles00, I really dont think Blair really insisted on Serena repaying her. It was Serena who was insisting. And I personally saw the whole thing as a big joke between them that brought them closer for the episode. Blair didn't seem really upset at all. She was more excited by Serena's confession that she'd been posting as GG and was disappointed that she didn't know because she wanted to be a part of it with S. I don't think for a second that Blair was actually angry with Serena.

And she didn't say to Serena that she didn't love Dan, she told S that she wasn't ready to say it. Huge difference IMO. And I agree that Blair shouldn't be talking about that stuff with Serena anyway, but considering Serena was the one that brought it up and kept questioning her about it I really can't see how Blair could be at blame for simply answering the questions that Serena was asking

QueenoftheDucks

QueenoftheDucks

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 4:19 AM

I don't think Blair was upset with Serena at all. Serena was visibly surprised by how easily Blair took the news. I don't think Blair was reproaching Serena for not telling her about being GG, but rather thinking about how much fun they could have had together if only she had known.

I think that this episode really got to the crux of the relationship that is Serena and Blair. On the one hand, if there is any "endgame" then Serena/Blair is it. On the other hand, they are more messed up than any other relationship in this show. There is a constant power play, and I feel that a lot of Serena's reaction to Dan/Blair have less to do with Dan, and more to do with Serena's constant worry about being irrelevant. This is only going to worsen now that she has lost her role as Gossip Girl.

And I agree that Blair shouldn't be talking about that stuff with Serena anyway, but considering Serena was the one that brought it up and kept questioning her about it I really can't see how Blair could be at blame for simply answering the questions that Serena was asking

I think this just emphasised how much the Dan/Blair thing has had an effect on the rest of their friendship group. Prior to the Dan/Blair relationship, Blair used to confide to Dan, to Serena, even occassionally, to Chuck. Now that Blair wants to talk to someone about her current issues, she doesn't really have anyone she can turn to (as her and Nathan don't really have that kind of friendship). And I think Serena is facing a similar problem.

catmax99

catmax99

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 10:32 PM

I think all the discussions last week between the two girls become much more interesting now that we know that Serena had read Blair's diary. She actually knew that Blair wasn't in love with Dan from what she wrote, and was probably still in love with Chuck, but Blair was continuing to date Dan anyway. That makes the situation that much more hurtful to Serena. Last week Serena was trying to be a supportive friend to Blair, trying to get Blair to focus on her relationship with Dan, but Blair just wasn't having it. That must have killed Serena.