Serena and Blair: What Is You Is Me

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

194 replies to this topic

mylatestfling

mylatestfling

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 4:27 AM

Blair doesn't go to Serena any more is because Serena usually pushes her back to Chuck and Blair would do that if she really wanted to anyway.

Well I only remember one example of that this season, in 5.13. Eleanor was also supporting Blair/Chuck in that episode and I feel like the fact that Blair's mother was pro-Chuck was a sign that really wanting Blair to be happy meant being pro-Chuck. Serena accepts Blair's love for Chuck as a part of her that is always there. Serena supports Blair to live in the real world and do what makes her happy, which means being with Chuck. Unlike Serena, Dan cannot really understand/accept how Blair feels about Chuck because it goes against what he wants and because it doesn't fit with his idealised "Claire" version of Blair. We saw in 5.2, 5.10 Dan being surprised by the Blair/Chuck connection, and I think we'll see that again.

Serena/Blair have definitely been a victim of the push to make Dan more relevant and popular but I feel like when JS starting talking about his S6 plans and perhaps a return of Serena/Blair that said to me that he realized the Dan plan failed so I have hope that season 6 will be about Blair making it up

Wasn't there a line in Inside where Sabrina told Claire that Claire/Dylan was more important than Claire/Sabrina. So maybe the idea that anything matters more than Serena and Blair's friendship is a part of the weird AU version of the show we're seeing right now.

snake juice

snake juice

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 6:42 AM

Eleanor is a horrible mother who's barely there, I wouldn't trust her opinion. Nonetheless, Serena and Eleanor's endorsement of Chuck never had to do with Blair being happy; they support what she wants and they thought she wanted Chuck. They weren't wrong of course; Blair did want Chuck and she was willing to sacrifice happiness to be with him (4x22 where Chuck let Blair go because he knew he wouldn't be able to make her happy and her only rebuttal was that it's not the most important thing). The only decision Blair's made for herself in a long time has been choosing to be with Dan.

Unlike Serena, Dan cannot really understand/accept how Blair feels about Chuck because it goes against what he wants and because it doesn't fit with his idealised "Claire" version of Blair.

Are we talking about Dan here? Serena also supports Dan and Blair because she saw how real their feelings were. She even said Blair was in denial if she thought she could be only friends with Dan.

We saw in 5.2, 5.10 Dan being surprised by the Blair/Chuck connection, and I think we'll see that again.

I saw Dan trying to be a friend, helping Chuck out.

Wasn't there a line in Inside where Sabrina told Claire that Claire/Dylan was more important than Claire/Sabrina.

No.

Edited by snake juice, Apr 8, 2012 @ 6:53 AM.

Prinnie

Prinnie

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 7:07 AM

Wasn't there a line in Inside where Sabrina told Claire that Claire/Dylan was more important than Claire/Sabrina. So maybe the idea that anything matters more than Serena and Blair's friendship is a part of the weird AU version of the show we're seeing right now.

In the play I thought Dan wrote it in such a way that it seemed like nothing was more important than Claire/Dylan. Also at the hospital waiting for word on Serena's grandmother Dan also told Blair that Serena's feelings didn't matter (He is such a Prince) I do think we may not get more SB until we finally see the end of Inside. I sure Dan would be very jealous and territorial if Blair started hanging out with her friends again because that may put their relationship in jeopardy because she would start standing on her own two feet which Dan would hate plus Dan seems to hate Serena now. Of course I think this will blow up in both of their faces. I fully expect that Serena is going to ultimately be the one to maybe tell Blair they are not friends anymore cause Blair to realize that this whole disgusting Dan phase has wrecked her life.

taconinja

taconinja

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 8:47 AM

Dan has every right to say that Serena doesn't own him forever and ever and that they have a right to be happy even if Serena yet again wants to claim him (briefly.) I'm not sure how this is supposed to be a "disgusting Dan phase." She's happy right now. If she's not happy in the future, it will end.

LadyGuGu

LadyGuGu

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 10:44 AM

I wish that would have been true, really. It seems like an AU version of GG right now because absolutely nothing makes sense and changes fast. Which seems like "INSIDE" more than GG. In inside Sabrina also says Charlie makes Claire weak (as in Dylan's/Dan's interpretation) where we see she became this weak girl after her close involment with Dan which brought Dan close to her also. Where in real life she never ever believed so. She was the one who knew how much they love each other in the first place and get mad at Dan for sabotaging them; "This is about two people who love each other". In Season 4 it didn't change too. And season 5 showed once more how much she knows and cares about Blair more than anyone. Chuck and Serena were concerned about her future where Dan was concerned about himself. I still don't believe his motivations were pure about sending the video blast because acted otherwise. But of course he got a free pass again. He became such a liar and manipulator. Replaced everyone in Blair's life which I thought it would be interesting to watch at first but now they dragged so much and forced it.

Overall, Serena never chose "a man" over their friendship. She made a drunk mistake when she was a teeneager but she didn't come back for Nate even tho Nate was in love with her, she chose Blair and tried to make amends. She even ditched her boyfriend all the times when Blair needed her. They always have been there for each other and they didn't isolate each other. Blair always had insercurities in their relationship but Serena never did the things Blair is doing right now. Whose manipulation is this? Very obvious.

I hope she finds her real friends' and sister's way soon.

Edited by LadyGuGu, Apr 8, 2012 @ 5:42 PM.

Prinnie

Prinnie

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 4:50 PM

Chuck and Serena were concerned about her future where Dan was concerned about himself

YES!! You see consistently Chuck and Serena making decisions with Blair's happiness in mind and Dan making decisions with Dan's happiness in mind. I think once she starts getting back in the Serena and Chuck world she will start realizing how much she adores and values her friends. Right now she sort of has Dan whispering constantly that she doesn't need these people and who cares how they feel and that is not how Blair operates. She cares about the people in her life especially Serena and the fact that Dan wants her to not have a relationship with Serena just shows that he is the wrong man for her. I think the most basic law of dating is when a guy starts telling you your friends don't matter RUN!! I think it will take some time to fix the damage to Blair/Serena and I hope they make Blair actually work for it this time. She has treated Serena horribly and I really respect how Serena has stayed honest and consistent even while Blair has acted like a lying baby.

LadyGuGu

LadyGuGu

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 5:52 PM

I think the most basic law of dating is when a guy starts telling you your friends don't matter RUN!!

LOL. You are right. Funny thing is Blair is on the run but to wrong side, IMO. She is lost still.

I think it will take some time to fix the damage to Blair/Serena and I hope they make Blair actually work for it this time. She has treated Serena horribly and I really respect how Serena has stayed honest and consistent even while Blair has acted like a lying baby.

I don't get what kind of a friendship they have right now. We will get scenes appereantly but it seems like Blair doesn't care so much about her existance even if she says so. IDK. Because even tho they shared men, this situation is barely new and frankly disgusting on so many levels. Its really awkward. I'd never feel relax about this situation with my bff whom I call my sister. Also, how come Serena wouldn't say something about Chuck to her, I don't understand. Maybe she doesn't want to say something anymore and let her what she is doing because obviously she doesn't listen to her anyway.

I think Serena has been amazing especially this season. I hope Blair sees the value of her sisterhood, but in many ways the situation seems irredemeable right now. I have a feeling they will end the season in bad terms.

Prinnie

Prinnie

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 6:50 PM

I think Serena has been amazing especially this season. I hope Blair sees the value of her sisterhood, but in many ways the situation seems irredemeable right now. I have a feeling they will end the season in bad terms

I think they almost have to. I really feel like Serena deserves to get to be mad and to give up on Blair a bit. Even if she is not mad at Blair I really want her to tell Blair something along the lines of still loving her but them not being best friends anymore. She deserves to be able to walk away from the friendship for a bit and Blair really has to right that relationship.

LadyGuGu

LadyGuGu

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 5:25 AM

I think they almost have to. I really feel like Serena deserves to get to be mad and to give up on Blair a bit. Even if she is not mad at Blair I really want her to tell Blair something along the lines of still loving her but them not being best friends anymore. She deserves to be able to walk away from the friendship for a bit and Blair really has to right that relationship.

I think she has to. IDK, If she will be able to but I think Blair has to face some consequences from both Serena and Chuck. I know she has lost so much already but while escaping from her reality she doesn't care who she is hurting or what she is doing exactly. What did Serena do exactly that she deserves this? Its horrible thing to do. Blair lives the day (or the moment) then nothing. And she is in the mood that she owes nothing to anyone like she is only changing her life with what she is doing and not others. Not an explanation, not an apology. Their dynamic ruined in the expense.

Serena has always been the one who forgave Blair immidiately while Blair has always tortured her a bit, you know. This didn't change basicly but even tho it was really a fun dynamic to watch before, right now the situation disgusts me. Why Serena is still living there I really don't understand. She has to move on with her life and maybe go live with Chuck and Nate instead. Maybe we will get there near the end. In the premiere CNS were absolutely amazing together. I really want to see them bonding while Blair is stucked in her "little Brooklyn fanfiction". She can be princess in it all she wants. LOL. I pittied her in the premiere and it continues.

Prinnie

Prinnie

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 5:35 AM

Serena has always been the one who forgave Blair immidiately while Blair has always tortured her a bit, you know

Yes there was several times that Blair was sort of over the top with Serena. I feel like Serena always understood the insecurity behind the slut shaming and the bullying so she never really pushed back. I mean there is something ironic about the fact that after years of slut shaming Serena Blair is the one who is bouncing man to man and cheating on her husband. I do think it is unlikely that Serena will say that to her.

She has to move on with her life and maybe go live with Chuck and Nate instead.

I absolutely want Serena out of the Waldorf penthouse. She needs to get away from Blair right now. I hope the show gives her dignity and allows her to do at least that. Watching your best friend and ex boyfriend have to get drunk every night so they can have sub standard sex would get old quick.

ribbons_undone

ribbons_undone

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:03 PM

I absolutely want Serena out of the Waldorf penthouse. She needs to get away from Blair right now. I hope the show gives her dignity and allows her to do at least that. Watching your best friend and ex boyfriend have to get drunk every night so they can have sub standard sex would get old quick.

As sad as this makes me, I agree as well. Serena needs to surround herself with people who actually care about her, and Blair needs to be shocked awake. Perhaps noticing that the NJBC is now short a member, but still going strong would do it for her? The saddest thing about the withered state of Blair and Serena's friendship is that it seems to be over a guy that Blair isn't even really into. She has her reasons for being with him, but it certainly doesn't seem like she's blissfully in love or ecstatic. She's lost everything that's been important to her for someone she seems lukewarm about and I don't get it. Am I supposed to not get it?

Aftershock

Aftershock

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 3:28 AM

I too, want Serena out of Blairís house, but I want Blair to throw her out, movie style with her cloths and bags following her. What a friendship? Serena is being anything but. If she is upset about DB, just leave and stay away from Blair or openly come out and say something. This passive aggressiveness while living off her is really low after giving the green light. What is she trying to achieve? Blair has followed all the friend rules and isnít rubbing it in her face. It has nothing to do with Serena what DB do, Dan hasnít shown any interest in her for a long time. It is borne entirely out of jealousy between the two girls, we had it last year with her sending all that info to Louisís mom, before that with Yale. She was jealous of the book, of the vows, the wedding. Pathetic.

A good friend should see how rough a year Blair has suffered and when she is happy now, should want that for her. Blair doesnít need her.

No Second Troy

No Second Troy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 8:36 AM

As sad as this makes me, I agree as well. Serena needs to surround herself with people who actually care about her, and Blair needs to be shocked awake. Perhaps noticing that the NJBC is now short a member, but still going strong would do it for her? The saddest thing about the withered state of Blair and Serena's friendship is that it seems to be over a guy that Blair isn't even really into. She has her reasons for being with him, but it certainly doesn't seem like she's blissfully in love or ecstatic. She's lost everything that's been important to her for someone she seems lukewarm about and I don't get it. Am I supposed to not get it?

Blair is not lukewarm about Dan- she is in love with him- that is why it is a problem for Serena and Chuck- that is the precise reason that it is a problem- it is not because Blair is randomly hooking up with Dan it is because they have fallen for each other

Serena always had Dan as a fall back- and she spent a lot of Season 4 messing him around- even moving her boyfriend Ben into his apartment- before that during that whole Juliet mess Dan was fiercly loyal to Serena- Blair saw that which is why she went to him for help- Serena didn't care and just messed Dan around some more, standing him up, rescuing Ben etc

It was Blair who reached out to Dan and let him see that Serena was messing him around- it was Blair who encouraged him to stop dropping everything for Serena, it was Blair who encouraged him to start writing again- helped him get his article published- gave him the byline on her blog even as she was fired/quit-it was Blair who was a real friend to him

When Blair told Serena that she and Dan had a real connection- she was telling the truth- Serena just couldn't or wouldn't understand it

Even when Blair lost her way in early Season 5- she consistently identifed Dan as someone she could trust not Serena- Who could blame her after Serena tried to sabotage her relationship with Louis and even though Dan loved her- he still reunited her with Chuck because he genuinely wanted to make her happy-

It was very significant for Blair that Dan identifed her as 'what would make him happy'- it was very significant that Blair told Chuck 'he didn't have her heart anymore'-Choosing Dan, the 'lonely boy' from Brookyln is the biggest risk that Blair has ever taken relationship wise and she hasn't taken it lightly- but Blair has been happier in recent episodes then I have ever seen her

Even though Serena knew Dan was in love with Blair, she still chose to engineer a fake relationship with him before confessing her love to him only weeks after telling him not to do that exact thing to Blair- and Dan still chose Blair

Now Serena is pretending she's giving Blair her blessing whilst sending blasts about Blair's divorce and an innocent meeting between Blair and Chuck because Blair has taken something that belongs to her- a toy she had repeatedly discarded but doesn't want anyone else to play with

Serena doesn't own Dan anymore than Chuck owns Blair- Serena is the centre of Serena's life- she makes everything about herself- Ivy is about Serena; Lola is realy about Serena, but Dan and Blair's relationship is not about her- at all- it's a long time since Serena has been any kind of friend to Blair and it doesn't look like things are going to improve in the short term

dragonfirelance

dragonfirelance

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:55 AM

Serena cares for Blair, if not she wouldn't even bother hiding her resentment looked how quick Serena decided to stop playing with Georgina and call Blair once Georgie got her hooks into Dan. Another reason I give Serena a break is because the UES would already be on fire if it was Chuck and Serena, granted because this would be the 2nd time but the point still stands. Also Blair and Serena have always been more sisters than best friends, their fights can get absolutely bloody and personal, but you never stop being family.

Serena cares for Blair, if not she wouldn't even bother hiding her resentment looked how quick Serena decided to stop playing with Georgina and call Blair once Georgie got her hooks into Dan. Another reason I give Serena a break is because the UES would already be on fire if it was Chuck and Serena, granted because this would be the 2nd time but the point still stands. Also Blair and Serena have always been more sisters than best friends, their fights can get absolutely bloody and personal, but you never stop being family.

pageboy

pageboy

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:53 AM

I'm sure she does care for Blair but hiding her resentment means nothing if Serena's just going to continue to try and sabotage Blair's relationship with Dan. What was the point of her releasing the blast about Chuck leaving the Waldorf's if not to make Blair seem suspicious and play on Dan's insecurities. I was excited when the producers said they would treat Serena's issues with Blair and Dan in a more mature way than the girls have dealt with similar problems in the past, but so far that really hasn't been shown on screen.

DevilRedeemed

DevilRedeemed

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 12:12 PM

What was the point of her releasing the blast about Chuck leaving the Waldorf's if not to make Blair seem suspicious and play on Dan's insecurities.

I'm sure this has something to do with it, but I thought Serena's main motivation for sending in the blast was to play the role of Gossip Girl. She was also sending blasts about Lola - so I don't think this was purely a vindictive move against Dan and Blair.

Snapshots

Snapshots

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 6:36 PM

I'm sure this has something to do with it, but I thought Serena's main motivation for sending in the blast was to play the role of Gossip Girl. She was also sending blasts about Lola - so I don't think this was purely a vindictive move against Dan and Blair.

Then don't you think this is a serious problem if Serena can't put Gossip Girl aside for a moment in favor of her friends? It's not just Blair and Dan that she screwed over, but Chuck as well...someone whom she knew was going through some pain.

portiaslegacy

portiaslegacy

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 4:05 PM

I just want to point out, that contrary to the "Blair is being totally disrespectful to Serena by rubbing Dair* in her face" the past two episodes ("It Girl, Interrupted" and "Salon of the Dead") have shown how Blair is really self conscious on how her relationship with Dan is affecting Serena. She doesn't know what to do about; she tried denial/squashing her feelings and that wasn't good for her so instead she is going into a relationship with him. Despite (or because) the pre-coitus interruptions between 3x17-3x18 being around Serena cools her enthusiasm for Dair (Compare her morning scene with Dorota to the one with Serena) and in "Salon of the Dead" she said that she feels Serena is constantly judging them.

They are in a period of adjustment. The lack of on screen communication (most egregiously no interaction about CeCe's death) might actually be a sign of how they just don't know how to communicate right now.

*portmanteaus save me from using unclear pronouns

DevilRedeemed

DevilRedeemed

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 5:24 PM

Then don't you think this is a serious problem if Serena can't put Gossip Girl aside for a moment in favor of her friends? It's not just Blair and Dan that she screwed over, but Chuck as well...someone whom she knew was going through some pain.

How did she screw over Chuck? By saying that he just left Blair's? I don't see how that negatively affects Chuck in any way. Also, Chuck leaving Blair's place is a fact -- why he was leaving it is open to the interpretation of GG subscribers.

I just want to point out, that contrary to the "Blair is being totally disrespectful to Serena by rubbing Dair* in her face" the past two episodes ("It Girl, Interrupted" and "Salon of the Dead") have shown how Blair is really self conscious on how her relationship with Dan is affecting Serena.

While I don't think Blair has been rubbing her relationship with Dan in Serena's face at all, I do think Blair is being disrespectful of Serena. When Blair realized she had feelings for Dan and couldn't deny them any longer, she decided to get with him after asking Serena how she felt about it. Three things were very wrong to me about this situation:

1. Serena obviously isn't OK with it (her demeanor and the fact that she's expressed still loving Dan to Blair in prior episodes proves this) and furthermore, she shouldn't be put in a position to choose between her own happiness vs. Blair's.

2. Blair realized she LIKED Dan and decided that her feelings of LIKE were somehow greater than Serena's feelings of LOVE. If Serena and Blair's feelings towards Dan were equal, I would better understand the issue. IMO, if I kind of like the guy that my friend is in love with, it's a no-brainer that I would back out. Losing a friendship over feelings of "like" doesn't seem worth it.

3. This entire conversation went down at a hospital where Serena's grandmother was DYING and I would go as far to say that I think Serena was under some serious duress. Also -- highly insensitive on Blair's part, both the conversation and the kiss with Dan that followed. It could've waited for another day.

Edited by DevilRedeemed, Apr 18, 2012 @ 5:35 PM.

iamnotjasmine

iamnotjasmine

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 5:48 PM

I just want to point out, that contrary to the "Blair is being totally disrespectful to Serena by rubbing Dair* in her face" the past two episodes ("It Girl, Interrupted" and "Salon of the Dead") have shown how Blair is really self conscious on how her relationship with Dan is affecting Serena. She doesn't know what to do about; she tried denial/squashing her feelings and that wasn't good for her so instead she is going into a relationship with him. Despite (or because) the pre-coitus interruptions between 3x17-3x18 being around Serena cools her enthusiasm for Dair (Compare her morning scene with Dorota to the one with Serena) and in "Salon of the Dead" she said that she feels Serena is constantly judging them.

I would argue that it's not about Blair's concern or "consciousness" about Serena's feelings at all, but more about Blair being annoyed by Serena's overall existence relative to Blair's relationship with Dan. Blair is annoyed that Serena goes to the bathroom (because Serena needing to pee is somehow less important than mediocre sex), Blair is annoyed that she can't tell Serena things about Dan, and Blair is annoyed that Serena appears to judge her and Dan. Overall, Blair is really all about Blair.

bbg85

bbg85

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:15 PM

Well I guess it's to bad Serena is poor and has NO WHERE else to go. She has no choice but to stay at Blair's apartment rent free while she posts her personal business all over Gossip Girl. I hope when Blair finds out she kicks that bitch out of her house.

And about Blair being all about Blair well, she's in good company because Serena clearly only gives a damn about Serena. Screwing over her family/friends(what did Lola do to her to deserve losing her audition?)left and right all because she doesn't want to feel irrelevant? Which futher proves to me that this is more about losing the spotlight than about her being oh sooo devastated about Dan and Blair being together. She couldn't have looked less affected by DB last episode.

Serena's use to being the center of attention and know no one cares, that's what this is all about IMO. Maybe she should get a hobby or IDK, A JOB.

Edited by bbg85, Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:18 PM.

iamnotjasmine

iamnotjasmine

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 1:53 PM

She couldn't have looked less affected by DB last episode.

I disagree. We know that Serena is still in love with Dan, so itís hard to assume that she is perfectly fine with DB. I think Serena is busy dealing with other stuff (being GG) and while she's deeply pissed at DB, she's gotten used to hiding it and is using Gossip Girl as a way to vent that frustration.

Maybe she should get a hobby or IDK, A JOB.

She did. She's been fired 3 times just this season.

portiaslegacy

portiaslegacy

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 9:03 PM

We know that Serena is still in love with Dan, so itís hard to assume that she is perfectly fine with DB. I think Serena is busy dealing with other stuff (being GG) and while she's deeply pissed at DB, she's gotten used to hiding it and is using Gossip Girl as a way to vent that frustration.

I disagree with Serena being still in love with Dan. Since the end of S2 she has been driven by her fear of irrelevance and desire to prove that she has changed. Often these two desires seem to be at odds with each other, but they didn't in her last years of high school, which she associates with Dan. But the situation had less to do with their coupledom and more with the fact that there are very clear lines of what to do in high school. Also she is going about searching for direction in the most haphazard way

Both Serena and Blair have been having identity crises this year. Blair has been stuck between what she thinks will make her happy and what does think she wants, but does make her happy, the familiar and the strange. She hasn't figured out how to mix her relationship with Dan into her more familiar social circle, and is quite hesitant to (remember she was the one who nixed inviting Serena and Nate to the Salon, when he suggested the do). And she's right; Dair happening messes with the dynamics of the core character more than anything since Serena came back in the pilot. It is scary.

For the first half of the season it seemed that Blair was spiraling, while Serena was more on track. Now that has reversed. It is interesting to note that in their spiraling state neither can be honest with themselves; Blair couldn't admit that being a princess meant loosing her identity or that her romantic relationships caused despair and Serena can't be honest about how much she likes attention or what she wants people to see her as.

Prinnie

Prinnie

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 8:04 AM

I agree Serena seems to be spiralling. I am not sure Blair has pulled anything together yet. Neither Blair nor Serena seems quite right right now. Blair is so isolated and non Blair like and Serena has become what she hates most. I think the problem with reactivating Serena's feelings for Dan and having her declare her love for Dan before they really started Dan/Blair's relationship is that it put a dark cloud on both relationships and yet has not really given us any drama payoff. We don't see Blair as being sad that she suddenly has no friends but Dorota. We don't see Dan having any reaction to hurting one of his long time closest friends (Serena) or causing issues in a relationship he knows matters to both people he cares about (Blair and Serena) Serena's feelings or the fact that Blair can not really talk about her brand new exciting relationship with her best friend seems like a non factor. I mean I get how giving Serena feelings is driving her story but I think its been detrimental to DB. I am not a DB fan by any stretch but I have never struggled with a couple so much and its not because I love Chuck/Blair more. I watch TV I get that the main couple is going to have periods where they are with other people and that is just TV 101. What I really struggle with is the effect on SB and the way DB handle it. I feel like Serena's whole meltdown and how alone and desperate she is is because of losing her best friend but Blair, on the other hand, often looks like she could care less if Serena lived or died. You could have a Blair that fiercely loves her best friend and sees how badly things have gone for her this year and still have her date Dan. I don't think they had to set up the story this way and while I have suspicions what the payoff is I think it was a huge mistake to change the whole character of Blair just to set up a big Blair/Serena fight. To me it seems obvious that they are leading to setting up DS and BS being big stories in season 6. With Dan wanting to repair his relationship with Serena and perhaps getting feelings again and Blair/Serena having to figure out the ramifications of what they both have done to each other. I guess the only positive is that with who Blair wants being decided in the finale we are looking to be triangle free in season 6. After Blair spending pretty much the whole season unclear on who she loves or wants to be with I am happy to see the show move back to focusing on friendship and I have my fingers crossed that we can see Chuck and Blair finally get over their last obstacle and start just being a couple and start working on having some friendship based storylines. I am way more interested in seeing the dynamics of how they are all friends and storied about that. Blair and Serena are the leads in the show and everyone involved has consistently said that they are the core relationship. I am really hoping that we return to that.

DevilRedeemed

DevilRedeemed

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 12:17 PM

You could have a Blair that fiercely loves her best friend and sees how badly things have gone for her this year and still have her date Dan. I don't think they had to set up the story this way and while I have suspicions what the payoff is I think it was a huge mistake to change the whole character of Blair just to set up a big Blair/Serena fight. To me it seems obvious that they are leading to setting up DS and BS being big stories in season 6. With Dan wanting to repair his relationship with Serena and perhaps getting feelings again and Blair/Serena having to figure out the ramifications of what they both have done to each other. I guess the only positive is that with who Blair wants being decided in the finale we are looking to be triangle free in season 6.

ITA. It's been said that Serena is supposed to be an obstacle or prop for DB's blossoming relationship, but I think Dan has been more of an obstacle to the SB friendship and a prop for their annual catfight. I also think the writers are setting up a big DS storyline for S6 because there are so many unresolved issues between Dan and Serena. First, we never really saw the outcome of Serena's choice of Dan vs Nate (but there was that scene with Ivy where Serena says she would've picked Dan). Second, Dan's OTT stabs at Serena (leading me to believe that he's harboring some deep feelings for her), only to read her blog and feel a "lump" in his throat RE: their relationship. Third, Serena being in love with Dan for almost the entire season and now sending GG blasts about DB. I said this upthread, but if I was Serena, I'd be pissed that Blair was dating someone I was in love with just because she liked him and wanted to see where things would go. Serena defines Dan as "the love of [her] life" and Blair is basically saying, "Chuck is the love of my life, but we have issues, so I'm going to be with Dan for now because he loves me for me." I feel like at this point, Serena has a lot more to be upset about, but who knows what will go down in the next four episodes. Thank GOD that this triangle will finally be over. Love triangles are the bane of my existence.

Philharmanic

Philharmanic

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 4:28 PM

In this clip at 4:15, Blair showed her loyalty to Serena just fine IMO. At least she had the courtesy to ask before sleeping with Dan, unlike Serena did with Nate when he was the love of Blair's life. I don't think SB are nearly as damaged this season as some. The writers aren't writing scenes for them, meh. They forget things a lot. But Blair hasn't done anything shady in terms of Serena. She flat out told her she wouldn't date Dan if it bothered her, and I thought both she for asking and Serena for her response, were incredibly mature there.

DevilRedeemed

DevilRedeemed

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 4:43 PM

In this clip at 4:15, Blair showed her loyalty to Serena just fine IMO. At least she had the courtesy to ask before sleeping with Dan, unlike Serena did with Nate when he was the love of Blair's life. I don't think SB are nearly as damaged this season as some. The writers aren't writing scenes for them, meh. They forget things a lot. But Blair hasn't done anything shady in terms of Serena. She flat out told her she wouldn't date Dan if it bothered her, and I thought both she for asking and Serena for her response, were incredibly mature there.

I don't think it's incredibly mature to put your best friend in a position to choose between your happiness or her own, especially while her grandmother lay dying 50 feet away. This conversation could've been saved for another time and place. Again, I just don't understand how Blair's sudden kinda sorta feelings of like towards Dan > Serena's belief that he's the love of her life.

Philharmanic

Philharmanic

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 5:51 PM

She didn't say choose between my happiness or your own. She just said, are you okay with this? Serena could have said no, but she said yes. Plus, Serena has had a few loves of her life. I never bought DS after we found out that they literally share a sibling. If Nate wasn't the love of her life at least at the start of GG, then it makes Serena's betrayal of Blair at the time even more insulting. She only had sex with Nate for kicks and not because of long repressed feelings? Ugh.

iamnotjasmine

iamnotjasmine

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 6:22 PM

She didn't say choose between my happiness or your own. She just said, are you okay with this? Serena could have said no, but she said yes. Plus, Serena has had a few loves of her life. I never bought DS after we found out that they literally share a sibling. If Nate wasn't the love of her life at least at the start of GG, then it makes Serena's betrayal of Blair at the time even more insulting. She only had sex with Nate for kicks and not because of long repressed feelings? Ugh.

Serena had sex with Nate because she was plastered and 16 years old. Blair was sober and in her 20s when she chose to kiss Dan as Serena's grandmother died.

portiaslegacy

portiaslegacy

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:07 PM

Serena had sex with Nate because she was plastered and 16 years old. Blair was sober and in her 20s when she chose to kiss Dan as Serena's grandmother died.

It was a chaste kiss on the cheek. Which is besides the point. The point is that their dynamic is changing. And Dair being part of a catalyst of their fight doesn't diminish the value of Dair or Serena Blair. In fact, for the first time in years the fight will be about their relationship as opposed to proving which one is better.