Serena and Blair: What Is You Is Me

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

194 replies to this topic

Light of Night

Light of Night

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2010 @ 6:32 PM

To me, their often difficult relationship is at the heart of the show - at least when the show works.

Desafinado

Desafinado

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2010 @ 2:21 PM

Quick question:

Does Serena know what Chuck did to Blair (the Indecent Proposal thing)? I've been wanting to see a heart-to-heart between these two since the CB break-up. I just remember she told Nate not to tell anyone, especially not Serena.

Light of Night

Light of Night

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2010 @ 7:54 PM

I just remember she told Nate not to tell anyone, especially not Serena.

So she did, and I don't understand it. It was Blair who told Serena "You can tell me anything", but I guess that doesn't work the other way round. But actually I get the impression that nobody wants to tell Serena anything, except the people who are lying to her or using her (like Holland, I think).

JennyLiz

JennyLiz

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2010 @ 10:12 PM

So she did, and I don't understand it. It was Blair who told Serena "You can tell me anything", but I guess that doesn't work the other way round.

Well, we know that Blair has always been insecure W/R/T Serena--her mother adores Serena, Nate was in love with her when he was with Blair, Serena took Queen from her very easily, the paparazzi love Serena, she was chosen to head Eleanor's campaign, etc. We've also seen, since Serena's been with Nate, Blair's jealousy that SereNate are sexing all over the house, and her sadness that she and Chuck didn't have the pure, honest love that SereNate do. So perhaps Blair is simply too self-conscious to talk to Serena about this. Nate clearly is (and has been) in love with Serena; Blair doesn't want to have to lose to Serena (again) by telling her that her boyfriend was willing to sell her body for a hotel.

Edited by JennyLiz, May 6, 2010 @ 10:14 PM.

rue721

rue721

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2010 @ 7:43 AM

perhaps Blair is simply too self-conscious to talk to Serena about this

ITA, JennyLiz--Blair doesn't want to look pathetic to Serena. And telling Serena about this deal would make her look especially pathetic since she's been mooning over Chuck for *years.*

Plus, remember how when Nate called Serena on abandoning him post-deflowering, he said something like: "I didn't want to say X, Y, Z in front of Blair but...you were a huge ho-bag!"... Maybe both Serena and Blair keep up at least a semi good girl front for the other?

And Blair probably thought she could tell Nate in particular because:
1. Nate was a prostitute, too! Also to keep his loved one in the style to which she'd come accustomed/used to define herself. Hm.
2. Since Nate knows pretty much everything Blair's ever done anyway (since he was involved in most of it), how much does she have to hide from him?
3. He's best friends with Chuck--now that she knows Chuck has the capacity to act like demon spawn, I guess Blair figures, how naive/judgmental could Nate be? and he must be fairly good at keeping his mouth shut, too.

rue721

rue721

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2010 @ 12:25 PM

I just watched some episodes from Season 1 yesterday, and the girls had a couple secrets they kept specifically from one another--

Blair admits to Serena that she didn't tell her about breaking up with Nate (the day of Victrola) because she felt like once Serena knew, it would be "real."

Serena admits to Blair that she didn't tell her about Fariman because she didn't want to make Blair a part of it. I'm thinking she didn't mean that she was keeping her loved ones in the dark so they wouldn't be criminally liable, mob-style--I think she meant emotionally :P She wanted to have the clean, safe place of her friendship with Blair, so she could escape from the grossness of the rest of her life--which meant she couldn't dirty up Blair/their friendship with her other-life-grossness.

I thought both those things might explain why Blair didn't want Serena (of all people) to know about the Indecent Proposal deal.

Light of Night

Light of Night

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2010 @ 2:24 PM

Point well taken. That reminds me: my interpretation is that Blair realized as early as the conversation in Central Park (1.03) that there was more to the story than Serena was willing to tell. Of course Blair had never heard of Pete Fairman, and had no reason to connect Georgina with the secret.

wheatbread

wheatbread

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2010 @ 9:21 PM

Blair and Chuck may be touted as the "epic" couple and the King and Queen of the UES, but the true epic couple of the show is Blair and Serena. They're the only ones I really care about at this point remaining with one another by the show's end (which will probably be the end of season 4).

Desafinado

Desafinado

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 10, 2010 @ 4:33 PM

I'm really hoping the SB time in Europe serves as a way of putting all the petty, nonsensical argument aspects of their S3 relationship to rest. I would love some stability for these two, because they truly are the OTP of the show. Last season half of their fights were so ridiculous that they almost undermined the actual depth of this relationship, and that's a shame. I'd love to see these two be strong women who have each other, whether or not they are in relationships. Serena and Blair FTW!

Desafinado

Desafinado

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 24, 2010 @ 8:37 AM

Found this incredible article on LJ's GGconspiracy and fell in love. My thoughts exactly!

Desafinado

Desafinado

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 14, 2010 @ 8:25 AM

I thought last night was sort of a perfect (thought heightened) glimpse into all things that are Blair and Serena. Blair's constant insecurity (it seemed a little better when she was in a trusting relationship with Chuck, no?), Serena's free-spirited nature that guys find hard to resist, etc. I love how these two can be pushing each other into cakes and fountains one minute and hugging/crying together the next. Blair is as tightly wound as they come, while Serena's cheerful, laid back attitude makes her fun to be around. I think that was one of the things that brought Chuck and Blair together, actually. She let go of it all in 1x07 at Victrola, and he saw the "real Blair" that she had yet to be able to let out.

Last night, though, I think the dynamic just became so painfully obvious on their double date. Serena was able to laugh and enjoy the two men, encouraged Blair to live dangerously. Blair felt so ill at ease.

I really hope they can allow Blair to have a few moments of "letting go." I think she's a person who craves control, and she at least felt a semblance of comfort and dependability in her relationship with Chuck. Now that she doesn't have that anymore, she is clinging to Serena, but it's bringing all their ugly dynamics to the surface.

Danielle87

Danielle87

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 14, 2010 @ 8:54 AM

I would also really like to see Blair be more free spirited as well. Unfortunately, though, Blair is the emotional center of the show, so it's basically an unwritten rule that she can't truly be happy and sure of herself until the series finale. ;) The day Blair is not uptight, tightly wound, and insecure is the day this show is over.

I find the Blair/Serena dynamics fascinating, tbh. It never gets old to me, because it's so deep rooted in their personalities, that it's not hard to believe that even now that they are older, it's still an issue. It was never a "high school" thing for them, it's always been a Blair and Serena thing.

I can't wait to see what happens with both at Columbia. I was the most excited before last season to see Blair at NYU and out of her element, and was really disappointed that they turned it into her wanting something so implausible as to "rule" NYU. I had wanted to see the fact that Blair has trouble making genuine friends explored more. I mean, every friend she has made is someone who either she grew up with and has known all her life, or someone who she has control over and fears her like her minions at Constance. I'm hoping with Serena at Columbia this can finally be explored more.

Desafinado

Desafinado

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 14, 2010 @ 10:10 AM

I find the Blair/Serena dynamics fascinating, tbh. It never gets old to me, because it's so deep rooted in their personalities, that it's not hard to believe that even now that they are older, it's still an issue. It was never a "high school" thing for them, it's always been a Blair and Serena thing.

ITA. I don't tire of it (although I do sometimes tire of the Blair backlash that can come from it, lol), because it is one of the only true, organic stories being told through the series IMO. This is truly canon. This is book-based. This makes sense.

This was in today's Vulture recap:

Blair: As much as Im going to miss you while youre in Providence, having separate lives ensures no competition, which means no high-school pettiness! We find this whole plotline, while inconsistent at times, and crazily acted out, to be generally real. Plus 3.

ITA.

Bec

Bec

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2010 @ 11:18 AM

I agree with JewelsandGold's take on Blair and Serena's characters in the episode thread, but would like to add that they can really balance each other out because while Blair could use some of Serena's free-spiritedness, Serena could use some of Blair's caution.

It's kind of like the old mythology of Chaos and Order; one can't exist without the other.

Seems to me if Blair tries to be all free-spirited like Serena, it would somehow blow up in her face way more than it does for Serena, without as much of the benefits. I don't think it's as simple as free-spirited = good; controlled = bad. Some people are just luckier than others, that's not all there is to it, but that's at least a part of it.

Luck may even have a hand in how their personalities formed in the first place. It's easy to be easy-going when good things fall in your lap left and right and failures don't get that devastating. And in contrast, when things hardly ever naturally work out well for you, of course your only option seems to be trying to control everything as much as you can, even though that doesn't work out well, either. But at least when you can blame your own actions, you don't feel as helpless.

bm232

bm232

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2010 @ 11:11 PM

Seems to me if Blair tries to be all free-spirited like Serena, it would somehow blow up in her face way more than it does for Serena, without as much of the benefits. I don't think it's as simple as free-spirited = good; controlled = bad. Some people are just luckier than others, that's not all there is to it, but that's at least a part of it.

Luck may even have a hand in how their personalities formed in the first place. It's easy to be easy-going when good things fall in your lap left and right and failures don't get that devastating. And in contrast, when things hardly ever naturally work out well for you, of course your only option seems to be trying to control everything as much as you can, even though that doesn't work out well, either. But at least when you can blame your own actions, you don't feel as helpless.

Bec, ITA with everything you said. Really, I have nothing to add except "WORD."

Light of Night

Light of Night

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2010 @ 3:37 PM

From the media thread:

The slut cloud hanging over Serena's head might follow her around, but so does the perception that Blair is a bitch.

But at least in Season 1, Blair called herself a bitch; she was proud of it.

I also think Blair and Jenny are the characters who pay the most for their proverbial sins on an episode-to-episode basis.

Maybe, but Blair's gotten away with a fair amount of stuff. Remember how she exposed Serena's supposed drug problem in 1.3. That was not only bad, but also dumb (if Serena had been motivated enough to try to take Nate from Blair for keeps, she would have succeeded). But nothing bad happened to Blair then as far as we know. Again there was the pool party (1.12); Serena and Blair were about equally guilty, but only Serena took the hit. And what happened to Blair when she caused Roman to break or sprain his ankle (1.11)? Or when she tried to disrupt her mother's fashion show (2.5)? I wish the business with Rachel Carr had been presented in a way that made more sense, but it was clearly inevitable that one of Blair's schemes would blow up in her face and hurt her badly.

On the other hand, Serena has a way of taking, let's say, more than her share of the consequences. I've already mentioned the pool party, and obviously Nate was at least as responsible as Serena for what happened at the Shepherd wedding. Considering Serena's affair with Tripp, what were the consequences to Tripp himself? None that I can see: his car was wrecked because he's a bad driver, and Nate punched him for callously putting Serena in additional danger.

CaitieUGA

CaitieUGA

Fanatic

• Interests:Gossip Girl, Veronica Mars, Young and the Restless, Ugly Betty, Chuck, The Wire, Big Love, Coupling, The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, The Discovery Channel, Project Runway, and more.

Posted Oct 4, 2010 @ 3:12 PM

But at least in Season 1, Blair called herself a bitch; she was proud of it.

There's a dichotomy to the word where it can be used positively (Bitches Get Stuff Done, Head Bitch In Charge, Boss Bitch, etc.) and negatively. Obviously Blair isn't proud of being disliked or having her Marie Antoinette speech broadcast on a live mic. Blair doesn't completely delude herself about the kind of person she is, but it was obvious during the S2 arc that addressed this that she wasn't proud of it. She tells Ms. Carr her punishment is to "live with it" (it being what she did) and that she knows it's not easy.

Remember how she exposed Serena's supposed drug problem in 1.3.

This was part of her retaliation at Serena for sleeping with her boyfriend and then disappearing for a year, and she got told by Eric. When all was said and done, she realized she'd gone to far and approached Serena to end the war. I don't see this as something Blair got away with.

Serena and Blair were about equally guilty, but only Serena took the hit.

What hit? Bart bought Queller off with the library.

but it was clearly inevitable that one of Blair's schemes would blow up in her face and hurt her badly.

I think most of them do. Same goes for Jenny and to a lesser extent Chuck. I'm not saying that there's nothing Blair's ever done that she doesn't get paid back for in full, but she obviously suffers more repercussions for her actions than most of the other characters. Serena blamed herself for Pete Fairman's death, and we didn't even get to see her absolution. Her mom smoothed everything over. It's fair to say that a year of guilt (although we didn't see it until Georgina returned) and Georgina's treachery and ultimately losing Dan were her consequences -- but then, most of the other characters have more dramatic confrontations where they run up against what they've done during their big arcs, not the NJBC sweeping in to save the day. Of course, had it been Blair or Jenny's arc, they probably would have been more responsible for whatever it was they were feeling guilty about, which goes back to the problem of how passive a character Serena had generally been (especially in the first two seasons). A great example would be 1x12, wherein this supposed former bad girl who loves a good party admits to Dan that she had the key but tells him that it was all Blair's idea, and that she meant for it to just be her and the girls but more and more people started showing up as the girls broadcast the party info.

But considering we're in the middle of a season where the major half-season arc is being propelled by a new character hellbent on destroying Serena for something she did in the past, this probably isn't the most currently relevant gripe tbh. But I definitely don't think Blair is a character who "doesn't pay enough," especially relative to the other characters on the show.

Edited by CaitieUGA, Oct 4, 2010 @ 3:16 PM.

BlackSheep

BlackSheep

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 25, 2011 @ 9:38 AM

I can't wait to see what happens with both at Columbia. I was the most excited before last season to see Blair at NYU and out of her element, and was really disappointed that they turned it into her wanting something so implausible as to "rule" NYU. I had wanted to see the fact that Blair has trouble making genuine friends explored more. I mean, every friend she has made is someone who either she grew up with and has known all her life, or someone who she has control over and fears her like her minions at Constance. I'm hoping with Serena at Columbia this can finally be explored more.

I wanted to re-raise this point in the context of last night's episode and the genuine (unlikely, adorable, heartwarming :) friendship that Blair seems to be forming with Dan. I'm not sure where the writers are going with this -- turn them into a couple/hookup/fling, or just a new friend and source of support for Blair, without the romantic connotations? -- but I'm fine with either. I like them together. I think that this relationship could be (already is) good for Blair in so many ways. (And for Dan, too, but this isn't the Dan Humphrey thread, so I'll stick to discussing Blair's side of things.)

This is the first time in many years that she's formed an actual friendship (*or* relationship, if they go there -- Lord Marcus was a while ago, and he barely counts) bond with anyone. Her emotional support system has been the same essentially since elementary school -- Serena, Nate, Chuck in varying degrees, and Dorota. Making a friend as an adult is a huge step for her, not to mention the potential benefits of getting some new blood in there. Dan and Blair are great together. They're snarky, they call each other out on their respective bullshit, but you can tell that they actually do care about one another and have started, at least, to have and act on impulses to support one another. It's great. Blair could use some support -- and how about some support from a man who respects her as a smart, capable woman, and who ISN'T a lifelong, loyal friend of Chuck's like Nate and Serena are? Great, great, great. I love it. More, please. Plus, if the writers let her keep Dan as a friend, that'll be the first strictly platonic male friend she's ever had.

Prinnie

Prinnie

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 20, 2011 @ 12:08 PM

I am really interested in what happens to this relationship next year. If Blair becomes Serena and Serena Blair how will the audience react. Blair was on the right track with her powerful women arc until it was revealed that it was all about Chuck. Now she is making decisions based solely on the Prince and planning to get married and become a Princess. Serena on the other hand is actually going to try and live the powerful women arc. She is focused on herself and her career and is moving past the Dan/Nate drama. She got a job based on her knowledge and chose where to go based on what she wanted. Blair on the other hand is torn between the fairy tale she has always wanted and the man she will always love. She is also the most likely candidate to be pregnant and hiding a pregnancy. It will be interesting to see Blair being hurt by her own decisions and making herself miserable and Serena making good decisions for once. I think it will also be interesting to see how they treat each other when faced with seeing themselves in each others actions.

manbearpig

manbearpig

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 20, 2011 @ 1:46 PM

Blair was on the right track with her powerful women arc until it was revealed that it was all about Chuck. Now she is making decisions based solely on the Prince and planning to get married and become a Princess.

The powerful woman arc was a mess - she was very vague about what she wanted to do. She wasn't trying to become something in particular, she wanted to be powerful. The biggest problem I had with the storyline was the self-awareness she had shown right at the beginning of the arc. Chuck was (and is) holding her back, she can't suceed with him in her life, because he destroys her as a person (the scene in season three before Dorota's wedding reception, when she feels disgusted with herself for loving him was very well done, but it would be nice if we could reach a stage in her life where she could be happy with herself for getting over him).

Serena on the other hand is actually going to try and live the powerful women arc. She is focused on herself and her career and is moving past the Dan/Nate drama. She got a job based on her knowledge and chose where to go based on what she wanted.

I really want to see Serena rocking her job in the movie industry. It would finally give the character focus and something to work toward. I'm not overly optimistic, since the job and a love interest fell into her lap the minute she left New York. But, I hope I'm wrong (I would love to see Serena suceed, and without a love interest for a while).

Serena doing well could have a great impact on Blair/Serena. Blair has always been jealous of Serena's natural shinyness, being able to get anything without even trying. Seeing Serena do well by working hard could have a damaging effect on the relationship, especially because of what Blair and Chuck did in the finale. It could also be a bit of a wake up call to Blair (a focused, determined Serena could help Blair realise that she needs to stay away from Chuck and focus on herself, to find out what she really wants in life. Y'know, apart from the very vague need to become a powerful woman).

Prinnie

Prinnie

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 21, 2011 @ 9:43 AM

Serena doing well could have a great impact on Blair/Serena. Blair has always been jealous of Serena's natural shinyness, being able to get anything without even trying. Seeing Serena do well by working hard could have a damaging effect on the relationship, especially because of what Blair and Chuck did in the finale. It could also be a bit of a wake up call to Blair (a focused, determined Serena could help Blair realise that she needs to stay away from Chuck and focus on herself, to find out what she really wants in life. Y'know, apart from the very vague need to become a powerful woman).

I think Serena will always support Chuck and Blair. She truly wants Blair to be happy and she knows that Chuck is who makes her happy. She may push for Chuck to change or grow but she knows Blair better then anyone else and she knows where Blairs heart is. I think seeing Serena do well by working hard could hurt Blair if she is hiding a pregnancy and playing at Princess. I think it might help her realize that she wants more from life and that she needs to continue to be proactive and strong and not hide in a fairytale.
On the other hand working for things is hard so I could see Serena also being jealous of Blair becoming a Princess and having the perfect Prince engaged to her and her soulmate Chuck wanting to be with her as well. Especially after the Dan betrayal. In an ideal world they would both lean on each other because they both would have insight into how the other was feeling. I would love it if the role switching didn't end in a completely predictable fight and instead they were strong and supportive to each other through it.

Eaterlover

Eaterlover

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 21, 2011 @ 10:13 AM

I think Serena will always support Chuck and Blair. She truly wants Blair to be happy and she knows that Chuck is who makes her happy

Nah, I think Serena has finally seen the light. In the speech that Blair gives her in 4X21, about how Chuck forever keeps her in the darkness, is something that Serena needed to hear. It's weird too because in the beginning of the Season 4, Serena seems very adamant about Blair getting over Chuck, I'm not sure where this change of heart really came about during the season--seems like the writers forgot their character motivation. We've already seen the kind of happiness that Chuck can give her, a fantasy moment of relief, and then wallops of guilt following. Blair has ONLY been happy with Chuck this season when there are extreme circumstances. I mean, it's pretty obvious that this kind of euphoria, adrenaline rush or whatever is wholly unsustainable (see: the shoddily written "bar mitzvah" scenes). The person that has made Blair happy? The one that encourages her to be herself, with no agenda other than being a good friend? Oh yeah, that's Dan.

Desafinado

Desafinado

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 21, 2011 @ 10:48 AM

Nah, I think Serena has finally seen the light. In the speech that Blair gives her in 4X21, about how Chuck forever keeps her in the darkness, is something that Serena needed to hear.

I think so, too. At least, I hope so! If not that, then hopefully actually seeing Blair's cut cheek would kind of clue her in.

I care less and less about SB because it feels almost as imbalanced as CB at this point. Blair risking her academic career for Serena when she lied about Colin? WHY, BLAIR?! I hated that.

Blair was on the right track with her powerful women arc until it was revealed that it was all about Chuck. Now she is making decisions based solely on the Prince and planning to get married and become a Princess.

I think seeing Serena do well by working hard could hurt Blair if she is hiding a pregnancy and playing at Princess. I think it might help her realize that she wants more from life and that she needs to continue to be proactive and strong and not hide in a fairytale.

She got a job based on her knowledge and chose where to go based on what she wanted. Blair on the other hand is torn between the fairy tale she has always wanted and the man she will always love. She is also the most likely candidate to be pregnant and hiding a pregnancy. It will be interesting to see Blair being hurt by her own decisions and making herself miserable and Serena making good decisions for once. I think it will also be interesting to see how they treat each other when faced with seeing themselves in each others actions.

Moved reply to the Blair thread.

AristotelianS

AristotelianS

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 21, 2011 @ 11:03 AM

It would be amazing to see Serena as the total "Good Girl" for once!
Serena has always been portrayed as the It Girl, a free spirit almost without a care in the world, with a good heart but quite confused about her feelings and constantly trying to find herself while being deeply affected by her family issues (Lily and Daddy Van Der Woodsen are not my ideal parents).
If the writers are really going to do a role rehersal between Serena and Blair we could see all Serena's good sides that has been hinted since S1 but never fully explored: her intelligence and her sensitivity, her good taste for art and literature, her cultural interests in general. Also we've seen she can be very supportive of her family members (inclucing her stepbrother) and friends and I'd like the writers to expand on that subject.
I think she truly has the potential to become the real queen of the UES, eventually outshining Blair both (and not only) phisically - as the beautiful girl Serena is - and morally - as the good person she (is) could become if the writers would allow her.

mylatestfling

mylatestfling

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 21, 2011 @ 11:41 AM

I think she truly has the potential to become the real queen of the UES, eventually outshining Blair both (and not only) physically - as the beautiful girl Serena is - and morally - as the good person she (is) could become if the writers would allow her.

Well, really until late Season 4 Serena always outshone Blair. In the one episode where Serena actually wanted to be queen of Constance Billard (2.04, I think) she barely had to snap her fingers and the minions were following her around. The minions and "queen bee" status are on the list of things that Serena has let Blair have (see also Nate and Yale - remember how in S2 when Ms Carr asked Serena if she wanted Yale, Serena didn't even know because so much of her life was about placating Blair).

As much as it's good for Blair to have her time in the spotlight (3 guys chasing her, press attention, "new Grace Kelly" status) it's equally important that Serena learns to put her own happiness before Blair's from time to time. It was a great step forward in 4.01 that Serena refused to give up Columbia - which she wanted for perfectly valid reasons - because Blair had a tantrum about it. Really that episode was a big shift for both of them - the prince chose Blair for once, and Serena stood her ground for once.

IMO Season 5 looks like it's going to be a Serena Season. It was a great twist that she turned out to be the real strong woman of Season 4 - choosing herself over Dan and Nate, whilst Blair let Chuck and Louis make that decision for her. California just seems like a really Serena-friendly place, and I hope she'll draw strength from her time there to tide her through the inevitable fight with Blair over DB.

Desafinado

Desafinado

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 21, 2011 @ 12:43 PM

we could see all Serena's good sides that has been hinted since S1 but never fully explored: her intelligence and her sensitivity, her good taste for art and literature, her cultural interests in general.

Where were those hints? I really can't think of any. Serena never really showed an interest in academic pursuits, and the show has allowed Chuck, Dan, and Blair to all call her not-so-intelligent in various ways. If Serena is suddenly an intellectual genius in S5 after barely caring about going to college at first (degrees are accessories for people like her according to Chuck), then that will feel SO ooc.

it's equally important that Serena learns to put her own happiness before Blair's from time to time.

I have never seen this as a problem. Serena has continued to live her life and not be tied down because of Blair. She chose to sleep with Nate in S1, Blair got mad, eventually Blair is arguing for NS and calling them mythic. I don't see a lot of sacrifice on Serena's part for Blair. Quite the opposite, actually.

It was a great twist that she turned out to be the real strong woman of Season 4 - choosing herself over Dan and Nate, whilst Blair let Chuck and Louis make that decision for her.

IA that the finale made Serena look strong and Blair look like Chuck's bitch again, but I would hardly call Serena the strong woman of S4 based on one episode. That was part of what was so infuriating about the finale. You had total rewrites of the S and B characters' entire year-long arcs. For most of S4 Serena flitted from guy-to-guy and we didn't hear her utter one syllable about her career or educational aspirations. She was torn between Dan, Nate, Colin, and Ben, and that was after all the men in France. In contrast, Blair spent all year single until the final 4 episodes. She chose to try to find her path, worked hard and got an internship on her own, and made great realizations about herself along the way. Which was why the last 2-4 episodes were so frustrating. It totally retconned Blair's arc and growth and made it seem like she had completely forgotten all of those things that it took her a long, lonely, painful year to learn.

Can Attack

Can Attack

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 21, 2011 @ 12:49 PM

remember how in S2 when Ms Carr asked Serena if she wanted Yale, Serena didn't even know because so much of her life was about placating Blair

That isn't true though. When Ms. Carr and Serena talked about Yale, Serena said she didn't even know if she wanted Yale because no one's ever asked her. She even specifically said that the only reason why she applied was because of Blair's (and Dan's) interest in it (it's that Serena trait where she adapts onto other people's interest rather than voicing what she really wants to do - if she even knew what it was that she wants to do). The Yale thing wasn't about placating Blair or putting Blair's interest ahead of her own, it was Serena not ever making her mind about what she wants, and other people assume her goals for her (which coincides with her talk with Charlie in the finale of S4).

And then later on when Dan and Blair finds out Serena gave up her admission so Blair would get in (she was first in the waiting list or something), it was made clear that Serena didn't give it up for Blair - it was because from talking to Ms. Carr, she realized she never really wanted it in the first place, much to Dan's chagrin (which was the growing reason why they break up later on).

And as for Columbia, the finale of S4 made it clear that Serena never really wanted Columbia either! She said in the finale that was chosen for her rather than a choice she actively made. So, looking back to S4 premiere, I'm not sure if that fountain scene really reflected Serena standing her ground or anything, if that ground ended up not even being Serena's choice.

Edited by Can Attack, Jun 21, 2011 @ 12:49 PM.

brighthope

brighthope

Fanatic

• Interests:TV and Books!

Posted Jun 21, 2011 @ 3:17 PM

And as for Columbia, the finale of S4 made it clear that Serena never really wanted Columbia either! She said in the finale that was chosen for her rather than a choice she actively made. So, looking back to S4 premiere, I'm not sure if that fountain scene really reflected Serena standing her ground or anything, if that ground ended up not even being Serena's choice.

I think more than anything Serena wanted to stay in New York? But yeah it didn't seem like her choice either.

I think the person that underestimates Serena's intelligence the most is Serena. This chart made by Eric and Elliott when they were trying to help her choose between Nate and Dan said, "smarter than she thinks." I think her attraction to Colin and Ben was to hammer home this idea that Serena wants to be valued for her intellect, but she doubts her own abilities, and so in both cases she fell back on her looks and sex appeal.

Blair saying she and Dan could debate those directors, something they couldn't do with her, was to strike at the heart of Serena's insecurity about herself, and also enforced the idea that Serena doesn't know her own mind. She can't make decisions, she lets them be made for her.

I think getting the job she did in the finale based on her knowledge as opposed to her good looks is a sign that maybe next season Serena will truly find herself.

The role reversal for Blair? I'm not sure what it will really look like yet. I guess Chuck making a choice for her in the finale instead of her making her own choice was a start. But I would think things would have to come easily for Blair and with the possibe pregnancy, I just don't see that being the case.

manbearpig

manbearpig

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 21, 2011 @ 4:44 PM

Where were those hints? I really can't think of any. Serena never really showed an interest in academic pursuits, and the show has allowed Chuck, Dan, and Blair to all call her not-so-intelligent in various ways. If Serena is suddenly an intellectual genius in S5 after barely caring about going to college at first (degrees are accessories for people like her according to Chuck), then that will feel SO ooc.

Getting into Columbia, pushing herself with a 'challenging course' (according to Lily), getting herself a job because of her knowledge (even if the oppurtunity itself was random and kind of fell into her lap - but, she wouldn't have gotten it without knowing the book so well) all show that she can be an intelligent woman, she just has to push herself. I don't think her Principal would have been that dissapointed in someone that didn't have the potential to do something with her life.

Desafinado

Desafinado

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 21, 2011 @ 7:29 PM

Getting into Columbia, pushing herself with a 'challenging course' (according to Lily), getting herself a job because of her knowledge (even if the oppurtunity itself was random and kind of fell into her lap - but, she wouldn't have gotten it without knowing the book so well) all show that she can be an intelligent woman, she just has to push herself. I don't think her Principal would have been that dissapointed in someone that didn't have the potential to do something with her life.

Those all happened this season, though, and the inference had been that the show had been showing us Serena's intellectual inclinatoin for four seasons, which I have not seen.

Also, I thought we were to understand Serena got into Columbia because of her dad, and in the finale, she said that it wasn't even really her choice. She never really wanted to go there.