3-21: "War" 2010.04.29 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

97 replies to this topic

catswiskers

catswiskers

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2010 @ 3:44 PM

Even still, seeing her in this episode annoyed me.

At first yes, then when she was instrumental to Pete being a jackass, and proving once again he is not good enough for Addison? Priceless.

belladionne

belladionne

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2010 @ 8:08 PM

AB's eye thing prolly stems from Bell's Palsy that she says she had a long time ago. I think it's just gotten more noticeable as she's gotten older. Tracee Ellis Ross? I don't remember ever noticing that mess with her eye until this guest appearance. And it was so distracting, that I had to pause my DVR several times and when I got tired of pausing, I had to actually not look at the TV during her scenes.

MomHasCooties

MomHasCooties

Channel Surfer

Posted May 2, 2010 @ 11:47 PM

From ABC's Character Bio:

Dr. Violet Turner is a board-certified psychiatrist specializing in general adult and adolescent psychotherapy, diagnosis, evaluation, and management of pharmacologic medication. Accomplished, assured and astute, Dr. Turner likes to think of herself as more than just your average “shrink.” She clearly lives by the methods she teaches her patients: Think positively. Visualize your destiny. She believes anyone can be happy, no matter what. Dr. Turner is currently expecting her first child.

Ha. Violet needs to read this, get that "anyone can be happy" thing straight!

Acer21

Acer21

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2010 @ 3:48 AM

I can't stand Violet in general, but I was on her side during this episode. Maybe I was in a nice mood, I don't know. Pete being a controlling asshole didn't help. Maybe Violet really isn't ready to be a full blown mom, but then I would have liked the characters to have said "I'm not sure if Violet is totally ready to be a mother yet, I can't say" instead of "No, Violet is unfit to be a mother." How would anyone know if she's ready til she gets the chance to try. Well at least she can fight this again later. In the meantime she can see her child and slowly get better, which is what I thought Violet asked Pete to do IN THE FIRST PLACE.

So much word to this! I usually can't stand Violet (although nowhere near my usual Cooper hate) and I completely understand why she gave Lucas to Pete but what I never understood is her complete apparent apathy. I feel that if we saw her stressing about Lucas more, even flinching in his presence and having stronger reactions I could understand. So I never understood her. But this episode made me like her or at least, I was on her side. She asked for a reasonable thing, she said it would take time and I do not remember her saying I want full rights. But, as has been said, she never gave up her rights! So, Pete is a complete ass who must not stay around too much longer!

And Cooper being nice in one episode dies not make it up for me. Nor Naomi, she's just awful, getting better, but awful. I thought Addie needed slapping too! How could anyone say she wasn't a fit mother, especially Addison. Saying she might need supervision, she's been very tramatized etc etc makes sense but not a fit mother. I'd slap Cooper too and I thought Addie would have more compassion. She came around a little bit. This Pete thing with Addie is worse than going after Sam.

I like Sam, Sheldon and Charlotte along with Addie. This show has hit new lows.

Edited by Acer21, May 3, 2010 @ 3:50 AM.

catswiskers

catswiskers

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2010 @ 7:24 AM

So much word to this! I usually can't stand Violet (although nowhere near my usual Cooper hate) and I completely understand why she gave Lucas to Pete but what I never understood is her complete apparent apathy.

The way I see it, the explanation she gave the NY psych with a competing wonky eye was to rounded and obviously deployed in to trying to manipulate us to feel sorry for her. Too heavy handed and a cheap last of the minute excuse so we would be sucked in to the court drama without sides picked. I saw it for what it was and I was immune to it. For me Violet still was the woman that was to unstable to see and understand that she was moving to fast for Pete, and that she owed the man some respect for what he had done for the last months. She had to earn that respect and trust from Pete before even suggesting an half and half sharing.

Instead of working with Pete, she chose to sue him, and they came up with this half-baked reason for her to have abandoned Lucas. That she was afraid that she was no good for him. It's inane, because if that was the reason, the moment Lucas with Pete, it makes no sense that she wasn't at least making sure that he was safe. She totally rejected Lucas, and never even tried to make sure that he was safe. That behavior debunks the argument that she did it out of love, like they are trying to push in order that we get ambivalent, and interested in the episode.

The episode doesn't work unless they can sell that we are supposed to feel for both sides. The way they came up to do it was pretty lame, IMO. If they had her saying that she couldn't connect with Lucas because she blamed him for her attack. It would be in character with Violet's selfish nature. I would love to claim that I though of this first, but it was a friend that pointed it out to me, but it makes much more sense than what they came up with. It would, also give a better breakthrough scene at the psychiatrist, when she discovers that she is blaming the innocent.

Violet, as a character, is very quick in finding excuses for behavior where she comes out the victim, or blameless. Her excuse to the psych almost seems that she is doing the usual delusional lies that she gives to herself. Unless they are planning to go there, that she lied to the psych, and has deeper problems that surface in the next episodes, it is a lame, blatantly obvious attempt to manipulate us to sell the court drama. It only makes sense for the character if she was lying to the other wonky eyed psych.

Edited by catswiskers, May 3, 2010 @ 7:28 AM.

mamznzoe

mamznzoe

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 3, 2010 @ 8:14 AM

Lucas was not taken away from Violet, she voluntarily gave him to someone she trusted, while she was ill. If she had been physically ill, it would be easy to see when she was well again. Just because it's mental illness her parental rights don't change. She had a violent crime committed against her. This whole storyline doesn't seem to address this. I can't stand Amelia, but her testimony was the most realistic in a custody battle. Bonding is extremely important, and Violet would be given a team of experts in the field to ensure that the bonding took place as quickly as possible. AHHH! This whole storyline has me steaming about the lack of support for Violet, especially since she is a doctor, working with a team of doctors.

Did anyone else notice the last outfit Violet wore (with the frilly white collar) with the coat hanging on the back of her chair gave the visual image of Violet being an angel with wings? Curiously distracting!

travelgrl

travelgrl

Channel Surfer

Posted May 6, 2010 @ 2:54 PM

I thought the ridiculous approach to family court was the worst part of this. Most random people would know that the system doesn't work that way (this is not a murder trial) and AB spent 6 seasons as the lead on a show where she was a family court judge (Judging Amy). She would certainly realize that the approach they took in this episode was moronic.

That aside, I agree with the folks that don't see much of a connection between Pete and Addie. I don't see him as having chemistry with Addie or Violet. I just kept noticing that he didn't even look at her when she was wandering the apartment in black underwear. That definitely would have been an issue for me. This is supposedly a new relationship.

Okay, back to lurking

catswiskers

catswiskers

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2010 @ 4:28 PM

just kept noticing that he didn't even look at her when she was wandering the apartment in black underwear.

It was in the bathroom and an the bedroom. Both have mirrors, Tim Daly was to busy looking at himself...