Rory Williams: The Last Centurion (UK)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

279 replies to this topic

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 1:52 PM

I'm pretty sure River is more than aware of the fact that she was loved by her parents, so yeah, she probably does know about Rory when he saw her as a baby.

Rory, I'm sure will have some fun moments as well as less fun ones during Series 7, I'm sure of it.

Peplow146

Peplow146

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 11:55 AM

Rewatched 6.10 TGWW one of Rorys finest moments. He fights for the love of his life and stands up to the doctor. Only other person who can do that is his daughter because she has the right to call him out as his equal and
wife.Just realised apart from Mickey and Jack Rory is the only other male companion.Craig was only around for a short time.Plus he got a good life with Sophie and Alfie to raise.Maybe that is deliberate most companions have to be female.Anyway just think it would be cool if Rory fathered another child RJ (Rory junior of course) Would be kind and caring like his dad but also prepared to be strong and do whats right. Even if it hurts or costs a lot.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 3:22 PM

I don't really care if Amy/Rory have any more kids, if they do fine, if they don't, they don't.

We've had many male companions throughout the classic and new series of Doctor Who but Rory's been one who's been in more episodes than either Jack or Mickey or even Martha, Donna and River for instance. More power to him.

River has the right to call the Doctor out? Anyone can call any character out on their actions if the situation calls for it. Not just the spouse or 'equal' of a character.

Peplow146

Peplow146

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 8, 2012 @ 8:23 AM

Rory and the Doctor have a complicated relationship thanks to the women in their lives. Rory married to the doctors best freind but also happens to be the father of the doctors wife techniclly making them in laws. Begining and middle of S5 Rory was threatened by the doctor and worried Amy would chose a life of adventure rather then marry him. She did chose him but he was still a little insecure at the begining of S6. Then River arrived to square the triangle. Rory did look a little annoyed in the trailer for 7.3 Gunslinger.Maybe he doesn't want the doctor back in his life again just when things are settled and "normal"?. He just wants to be with his wife and do his job helping people. Also is he going to ask after his daughter?. Hope Doctor lets them know how she is doing. Also why didn't they ask if he could take them to visit?. Rory allready saw her in her cell once in AGMGTW. Even if she asked them not to go I would still want to see her.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jun 9, 2012 @ 7:04 AM

And Rory is with his wife and presumably helping people now that him and Amy are still on Earth last time we saw them. He has been for most of his run on the show.

Peplow146

Peplow146

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 20, 2012 @ 8:31 AM

Why do they keep killing him ?. He had "died" onscreen at least 4 times allready. Lazy plot device like Rivers prison sentence for "killing" the doctor just stick her in a cell and bring her out when we need her again.
1st death 5.7 AC dies in a dream leaving poor Amy so devastated she kills herself knowing she might actully die just so she could be with him again. 2nd death a true death 5.9 CB gets killed by Reztak and his body is consumed by the crack so he never exsisted,. Fortunatly he is resurected as a plastic centurian regaining his human form when the universe is reset. 3rd death 6.3 COTBS cliniclly dead after drowning revived by some not very good CPR peformed by Amys flesh avatar. She couldn't have breathed life into him because she didn't have real working lungs. 4th death 6.4 TDW Amy is given a horrific vison by House tormenting her. She sees her husband tortured to insanity and he dies old hating and cursing her blaming her for his fate because he thought she left him. Ironic roles were reversed in 6.10 TGWW. Look forward to seeing him in S7 later in the year.

Edited by Peplow146, Jun 20, 2012 @ 8:33 AM.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jun 21, 2012 @ 8:21 AM

Why do they keep killing him? Because they can. I guess doing it four times is excessive but they sort of subverted the trope in The Wedding Of River Song when it looked like the Silence were going to finish Rory off and Amy shot them to pieces. That was an amusing scene.

It should be too long for Series 7 now.

DeirdreMom

DeirdreMom

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 7:01 PM

I adore Rory. That is all.

I've never been that invested in Amy (she's written too much as the fiesty, sexy girl for my taste) but I like her well enough.

But the slapping has just got to stop. I can't even criticize in universe because only a shitty, shitty person would slap her partner hard across the face when ne is expressing concern and it isNOT A JOKE! AND IT IS NOT FUNNY OR FIESTY OR CUTE.

When it happens, I just have to ignore it because otherwise I would have to tell Rory to leave. Because that is some abusive behavior.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Sep 4, 2012 @ 8:25 AM

Yeah, this has been changed to 'The Last Centurion' - I heartily approve.

Nearly everyone seems to prefer Rory to Amy. I like them both but Rory is the first companion on the show I can actually relate in a big way.

DeirdreMom

DeirdreMom

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 16, 2012 @ 1:32 PM

Rewatched some season 5 episodes and then "Asylum of the Daleks." Looking back, I see that Amy is still trying to impress the Doctor - when they are on the Dalek ship, Amy postures and says, "who's scared?" While Rory is pretty clearly disgusted with the fact that his bad day (getting divorce papers from Amy) just got worse. Yet, Rory never complains. Love him!

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Sep 17, 2012 @ 7:35 AM

And while he was underutilised in Mercy, he was a lot of fun in Dinosaurs. Loved his scenes with his father. You can see where Rory gets some of his traits through Brian.

GreenPhoenix

GreenPhoenix

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2012 @ 9:20 PM

I rewatched some snippets of Dinosaurs on a Spaceship earlier today. I noticed more Rory's reactions when he was silently in the background; they definitely added to the story.

I also noticed during A Town Called Mercy that when Jex proclaimed himself a war hero, it looked like Rory was the only other character (aside from the Doctor), who had an immediate and negative reaction. I could have read waaaay too much into that split second, but it's like he knew the implications of the term in that context and tone as well as the Doctor did. Then again, it might have just been me.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted Sep 25, 2012 @ 4:17 PM

Nearly everyone seems to prefer Rory to Amy. I like them both but Rory is the first companion on the show I can actually relate in a big way.

I sometimes wonder if there's unwritten rule about how Amy needs to be remembered as most prominent. A few weeks ago I was reading some article in the Guardian about how they would miss Amy and that Rory was great but the most important thing is always the Doctor's relationship with a female companion (I'm sure Jamie would love hearing that one).

I thought Amy and the Doctor were an awful mismatch in her first season. The only reason I started caring about her was seeing her through Rory's eyes, and the focus on their relationship. I understand why people feel like this type of relationship drama is not right for a show about the Doctor, but even when it's poorly written, I still care.

Rory takes me back to the classic days of the show when they weren't afraid to have two long-term companions, who each have their own perspective and relationships with the Doctor. And Arthur Darvill has played this superbly, allowing so many small moments for Rory where we can know how he will react and understand his journey.

It's going to be tough for me to enjoy the show when he's gone. The only other companion on the new show I've felt this way about is Donna.

DeirdreMom

DeirdreMom

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 27, 2012 @ 3:47 AM

I'm really going to miss Arthur Darvill.

Rory is such an understated character that it would be easy for him to get lost, but Arthur has really made him a vivid presence. No easy feat when Matt plays such a frenetic doctor and Amy is positioned as the primary identification point for the TV watcher. He isn't mysterious (like River), but straightforward; he isn't devious or deceitful, so there is never any puzzling over what he is trying to accomplish. so why is he so interesting to watch? The character is intriguing to me because he is so ordinary. As an introvert, it is really fun to watch an introvert played as just a normal, human being on TV. Plus, Arthur's non-verbal responses to what is going on (his body language, facial responses) are a joy to watch. Even when he is not the focus of the scene, he is great fun to watch - he really makes me laugh. Especially when he plays exasperated. Watch Dinosaurs on a Spaceship for some really good examples (watch Rory in the background when Riddell in the foreground announces in the beginning that he can 'take' one of the rampaging dinosaurs. Also look at his reaction when the Doctor comes charging up to Brian when they first arrive on the spaceship - the wide, overhead shot before moving into the tight reaction shot).

I also just really like the character. I like how Rory is so self-aware.

Plus Arthur is "the pretty one!"

Edited by DeirdreMom, Sep 27, 2012 @ 4:37 AM.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Sep 27, 2012 @ 7:46 AM

Everyone fancies Rory - Amy, Oswin and even Idris/TARDIS.

He is seriously pretty, isn't he?

As well as being an awesome character and finally an action figure of him here.

Released on the week of his final episode. Talk about timing.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted Sep 30, 2012 @ 12:33 AM

When I was a boy, not overly interested in most of the sci-fi/fantasy I'd seen, I became drawn to this sometimes very silly, sometimes emotionally devastating show about a man in a box and his best friends.

When I look back, all these years later, and think of the reasons I buy DVDs, buy magazines, watch hundreds of hours of episodes, the list is very exclusive.

Barbara, Ian, the Brigadier, Sarah Jane, Tegan, Donna.

And now Rory.

Thank you to Rory Williams and to Arthur Darvill for reminding me of the Doctor Who I loved. Best of luck to both of you, reel and real.

Edited by O2Sean, Sep 30, 2012 @ 12:34 AM.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 9:02 AM

Rory Arthur Williams.

Yes, I cried. Arthur Darvill has been a class act and I've loved Rory so much as a character.

Best male companion ever I think. Certainly up there with the Brigadier, Ian and Jamie.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 11:13 PM

One of Arthur Darvill's exit interviews said Rory was a male companion who "actually worked." As talented as some of the past actors were, the writing never quite worked for Harry, Turlough. Mickey and Jack felt more like a special guest star to me than companions, since they were only with the Doctor a brief time. Rory was around for a surprisingly lengthy amount of time in modern Who and while it was never made explicit, we saw hints of his bond with the Doctor. Best of all, as with companions like Ian and Jamie, the Doctor never defined Rory, or changed him.

In that last BBC America special, Arthur was wearing a Debbie Harry T-shirt. As if I wasn't already a fan.

angora

angora

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 2, 2012 @ 7:08 AM

I agree that Jack and Mickey always felt more like guest companions than proper companions. Also, Jack (in series 1) and Mickey felt like companions of the companion. I don't really get the feeling that the Doctor would have elected to bring either of them along if not for their connections with Rose. Obviously, Jack was more of his own companion in later appearances, but, like you said, guest star. Rory started out this way - Amy as the Doctor's companion and Rory as Amy's - his relationship with the Doctor quickly developed into something of its own.

I'm not entirely sure why Rory worked as well as he did. There were times when I felt like the show/the media still viewed him as a second-tier companion, less important than Amy, but in the midst of their adventures and throughout his relationship with the Doctor, he didn't seem that way to me.

One of my favorite scenes between Rory and the Doctor is when he shows up in The Pandorica Opens as an Auton, and the Doctor falls right back in sync with him, taking forever to remember that Rory is supposed to be dead.

Nylver

Nylver

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 2, 2012 @ 7:45 AM

I love that scene so much Angora. Because Rory tries to mention it, but the doctor just rambles on and Rory (always the patient one) just decides to wait. Knowing that the doctor will get there eventually in his own time.
I also love the expressions and motions of Matt Smith in that scene, from the poking to the not believing it sort of hand motions. Lovely moment between the two of them.

Those action figures are 1. scary 2. Don't look like Arthur at all (good, now I don't need them) and 3. Not roman.
Dissapointing.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Oct 2, 2012 @ 8:52 AM

I actually sent away for my action figure (the red shirt one, oh the irony). Still have yet to get it but it's a coming.

Rory proved more than Mickey and Jack that male companions can and do work as well as female companions for the Doctor within the new series.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted Oct 2, 2012 @ 9:08 AM

I think it looks like him in the face, but the hair is ridiculous. I also didn't need the reminder that this seemed to be his only outfit for ages and it took being killed off to get him new clothes.

I'm not entirely sure why Rory worked as well as he did. There were times when I felt like the show/the media still viewed him as a second-tier companion, less important than Amy, but in the midst of their adventures and throughout his relationship with the Doctor, he didn't seem that way to me.

I think some of the press coverage, and then the show's focus on Amy being the one who last sees the Doctor (I saw some comments saying: "Rory didn't get to say goodbye"), kept going back to the dynamic of Rory being the secondary companion, but the chemistry between the actors made this more ambiguous during the character travels.

I had no great reaction to Rory in his first episode, but I remember how impressed I was when he came back, with the way he stood up to the Doctor about Amy's safety. This wasn't presented as Rory just being an insecure whiner, but as a rightful opinion. I also felt like there was just something very natural when he was with Amy and the Doctor. Even though he was the outsider, they still clicked. There was no longer the lack of balance which I felt in some of the earlier episodes. Everything with the three of them just felt...right.

Then, for all the anxiety Rory had over Amy's feelings for the Doctor, he sacrificed his life for the Doctor in "Cold Blood." Slowly they moved further and further away from the Doctor as the main obstacle and more as the Doctor as their best friend and biggest headache, but not someone who split them apart, someone who brought them together. This meant getting to see Rory in his own terms, which Mickey never really had the chance to be (maybe in his last story). Rory also provided some of the emotional vulnerability which Amy and the Doctor struggled to express, particularly in the earlier episodes.

One of my favorite scenes between Rory and the Doctor is when he shows up in The Pandorica Opens as an Auton, and the Doctor falls right back in sync with him, taking forever to remember that Rory is supposed to be dead.

One of my favorite scenes was when Amy and Rory were both in body bags and when Rory got out, the Doctor cradled him and kissed his forehead. I thought it was a great (and I'm guessing ad-libbed) way to show the genuine fondness the Doctor had for Rory.

The scene in the first Silence episodes where he tells the Doctor that Amy can always hear him.

I also loved the "your fiancee tried to kiss me" scene at the stag party, just for how hilarious the reactions were.

There were also so many little moments with Rory which helped build up the character, like when the Doctor died in the museum and Rory draped his coat over the body, or in the pirate episode when Amy brings him back to life and he's gasping and clinging to her and she starts crying (which was, oddly enough, looking back, the scene that sold me on Amy/Rory for good). Rory just listening to River talk to him, excitedly, confiding in him, before he knew who she was. I think this is one of the reasons he became much more important to (some) viewers than they may have originally anticipated. The classic Who let you see these little moments build up, because they had more episodes. The new Who doesn't have as many and the stories are more plot oriented, so some characters just seem to be on the page. From the start it was easy to feel that emotional connection with the character.

Sometimes I wonder if they planned to write so much for Rory or if fan response or Darvill's performance made any changes. Since the story arcs seem planned out long in advance, probably not, but I do wonder at times.

I've made my share of complaints about Steven Moffat but I do think the storylining for Rory is something very unique to Moffat and I think it's been one of the best strengths of his era as showrunner.

Edited by O2Sean, Oct 2, 2012 @ 9:13 AM.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Oct 3, 2012 @ 7:48 AM

Those are some brilliant Doctor/Rory moments there.

I did like the kiss moment as well in Dinosaurs On A Spaceship when Rory had a good idea too.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted Oct 4, 2012 @ 9:08 AM

Punny card. The reactions to said photo make me feel a little less silly about my own blues.

Also a photo of Rory action figure in the box. One tweet said "did they just repurpose Shane Ritchie figures."

Edited by O2Sean, Oct 4, 2012 @ 9:11 AM.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Oct 5, 2012 @ 7:54 AM

That card is brilliant.

Got the Rory action figure yesterday. It does look a lot better than the pictures give it credit for.

HauntedBathroom

HauntedBathroom

Fanatic

Posted Oct 11, 2012 @ 4:37 PM

For those of us who wondered about Brian. It's a shame it wasn't filmed, but this is better then nothing.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted Oct 11, 2012 @ 5:24 PM

At first I wondered if it was just recently done, as otherwise you would think they would have put it out right after the episode aired. But he's wearing the same shirt he was wearing in the Doctor Who New York special for BBC America, so he may have done this around the same time.

A part of me almost wishes they'd left this up to our imagination, but I do think the character needed closure. I also hope we will get to hear what Rory is doing in the past (I'd like to think he was a medic or working in a charity hospital).

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Oct 12, 2012 @ 7:59 AM

I love that it was Rory narrating that scene because it easily could've been Amy but it was better that it was him and acting, Arthur Darvill again delivered brilliantly.

I really, really do miss Rory even more now.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted Oct 12, 2012 @ 8:25 AM

I thought he did a fantastic job. It's also so rare to have a scene which is solely about a companion and his family, without the Doctor being involved. Even just as storyboarding, I would think, "That's so Rory," especially when they showed the scenes of Amy and Rory with the baby and he had that awkward smile on his face.

I didn't feel like we got to say goodbye to Rory in TAMT. And now, we have.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Oct 12, 2012 @ 8:28 AM

Closure to Rory, yeah, I'm glad too.

Chibnall writes well for the character I think, even in the Silurian two parter as well.