Rory Williams: The Last Centurion (UK)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

279 replies to this topic

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 6:30 AM

Seeing as he's also going to be a companion this season, it was time he got a thread.

I'm still hoping he doesn't become Mickey 2.0

Agnes Bean

Agnes Bean

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 2:32 PM

I really liked what we've sen of Rory so far. I thought he was really funny (Aliens of death!). I also think he would/will make a good companion (even if it's only for a bit). He's obviously observant and puts things together well. Plus, he questions the Doctor (you're bringing them back?), which is generally not a bad thing.

The one thing he needs is confidence, which I think adventuring with the Doctor, even for a very short period, could give him.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Apr 30, 2010 @ 5:52 PM

Rory fared better than Mickey first episode wise because he asked questions that made sense, helped the Doctor and was a sweetheart with Amy. He needs confidence, that's true but I'm sure being with the Doctor and Amy will help that.

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

• Interests:I'm an easy going person and likes to hang out. I like to observe and learn things, and my passions are movies, TV and travelling. I could say that I believe in the soul, high fiber, good Martini, that the books of Chicken Soup of the Soul are self-indulgent crap. I believe in sweet spot, soft-core romantic drama, good food, and I believe in long-slow-deep-soft-wet kisses that last more than three days. I have a computer, a TV, a DVD player, a bathroom & pizza delivery. Why should I leave the house? Of course, unless you have a damn good reason to drag me out; like hell with fluorescent lighting. In other word: Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get wasted all the time and have the time of your life.

Posted May 2, 2010 @ 7:07 AM

Oh, poor Rory. Even the Doctor seems to favor British!Awesome a.k.a Jeff.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2010 @ 4:02 PM

Ah, the Doctor will warm to Rory soon enough I bet but yeah, a lot of love for Jeff.

Maybe this Doctor swings both ways.

Still Ill

Still Ill

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2010 @ 10:45 PM

Rory fared better than Mickey first episode wise because he asked questions that made sense, helped the Doctor and was a sweetheart with Amy. He needs confidence, that's true but I'm sure being with the Doctor and Amy will help that.

My thoughts exactly. Not quite sure how Rory managed to be so much more engaging than Mickey in just one episode. I think the actor being good helped a lot.

Ah, the Doctor will warm to Rory soon enough I bet but yeah

Didn't The Doctor say "yeah, he was good too"? He no where near as hostile as he was to the "Tin Dog". But then Amy is not St Rose of Tyler.

Edited by Still Ill, May 3, 2010 @ 12:27 AM.

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

• Interests:I'm an easy going person and likes to hang out. I like to observe and learn things, and my passions are movies, TV and travelling. I could say that I believe in the soul, high fiber, good Martini, that the books of Chicken Soup of the Soul are self-indulgent crap. I believe in sweet spot, soft-core romantic drama, good food, and I believe in long-slow-deep-soft-wet kisses that last more than three days. I have a computer, a TV, a DVD player, a bathroom & pizza delivery. Why should I leave the house? Of course, unless you have a damn good reason to drag me out; like hell with fluorescent lighting. In other word: Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get wasted all the time and have the time of your life.

Posted May 3, 2010 @ 12:59 AM

I wonder whether Amy's constant obsession with the Raggedy Doctor, he decided to become a doctor, but couldn't, so he settled to be a nurse?

Still Ill

Still Ill

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2010 @ 5:43 PM

I wonder whether Amy's constant obsession with the Raggedy Doctor, he decided to become a doctor, but couldn't, so he settled to be a nurse?

Yes, I'm prett sure Steven Moffat confirmed this in the Eleventh hour confidential.

I was interested to read that Arthur Darvill (the actor who plays Rory) is friend with Matt Smith and was in the stage producton of "Swimming with sharks" with him and Christian Slater (new Master anyone?). Hopefully that friendship will rub off somewhat in the characters relationship. I think the fact he goes to collect him in the trailer for 'Vampires in Venice' shows that Rory is no Mickey 2.0.

Edited by Still Ill, May 3, 2010 @ 5:44 PM.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2010 @ 6:00 PM

Steven Moffat did confirm that more or less in The Eleventh Hour.

Rory definitely seems to have a lot of love in other forums as well. So far I think he's brilliant.

sybilramekin

sybilramekin

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 8, 2010 @ 3:18 PM

Loved Rory's intelligence in 'Vampires in Venice'; "It a different dimension", "You make people want to impress you." Definitely not a tin dog!

D.C.

D.C.

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2010 @ 6:44 PM

I FLUV RORY! And one reason is that he goes all dumb and screws up on occasion...but only on occasion. I mean, think about it: you're suddenly in a duel with a sword-wielding vampire/alien Gentleman of Venice...wouldn't you, in a momentary panic, flash a cruciform symbol, too? He make mistakes in such a human way, not in an idiotiodical, tin-dog way. And he promptly recovers. I'd say the ratio of brilliance to far-less-than-brilliance is about five to one, which makes him adorable, not the butt of joke

TheSporkWielder

TheSporkWielder

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2010 @ 7:21 PM

I loved Rory's comment to the Doctor about people wanting to impress him. SO true! And very perceptive for a guy who's only seen the Doctor twice (and who's hung out with him for what, maybe a couple of hours at this point?). GO RORY! I also kinda liked how he knew about the TARDIS. Is he the first Companion to get that right away?

And his answering machine message at the beginning was SO CUTE. Awww.

And "We are NOT her boys!" "Yes, we are." "Yes, we are." HA! Now I want scenes (and/or Fic) with Rory and the Doctor bonding.

Unusual Suspect

Unusual Suspect

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2010 @ 9:25 PM

I love Rory. Definitely not a tin dog. I liked how he just took the wind out of the Doctor's sails twice, first by not doing the obvious "It's bigger on the inside", and his line about people wanting to impress the Doctor. So, inexperienced, yes, a little bumbling, but smart and awesome. Yes, I'm glad to see Rory join the Tardis crew.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2010 @ 8:42 AM

I think Rory is becoming a good example as to how Mickey should've been written in the first season and did anyone notice the differences between Amy and Rose during their reactions when their SO's were being invited to travel in the TARDIS as well?

Rose sulked a bit whereas Amy embraced the idea of Rory travelling with her and the Doctor.

Oh and Rory looked gorgeous in his 16th Century clothing. Just saying.

Edited by darkestboy, May 10, 2010 @ 9:26 AM.

Still Ill

Still Ill

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2010 @ 10:17 PM

I love Rory. Definitely not a tin dog. I liked how he just took the wind out of the Doctor's sails twice, first by not doing the obvious "It's bigger on the inside", and his line about people wanting to impress the Doctor. So, inexperienced, yes, a little bumbling, but smart and awesome. Yes, I'm glad to see Rory join the Tardis crew.

I secretly hope that the Doctor leaves Amy behind and takes Rory at the end of the season. I like Amy but pehaps she needs to grow as a person on her own for a while.

The speech Rory's speech to Rosanna to get Amy into the school was one of the funniest things I've seen on Doctor Who. The 'cheers' at the end had me rolling. Being able to pull of that then the 'why you are dangerous' speech so well-yeah already streets ahead of Mickey.

Edited by Still Ill, May 9, 2010 @ 10:18 PM.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2010 @ 9:26 AM

We definitely need a male companion for a full season but I don't think we'll get Doctor/Rory by themselves. Amy will be there and that's not really a bad thing.

SunlessNick

SunlessNick

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2010 @ 9:41 AM

I was hoping for two companions this season. And where Mickey only got cool when decoupled from Rose, I like Rory and Amy together.

Mack the Spoon

Mack the Spoon

Stalker

• Interests:Languages, traveling, music, learning as much as I can, good television and movies, writing

Posted May 10, 2010 @ 12:18 PM

Rory >>>> early Mickey.

I hope he sticks around for a while - he makes the TARDIS dynamic much more interesting (not that it was boring before). Loved trying to make the cross with the candlesticks. Cute, but as someone said, also makes sense if you're panicking.

Namarie

Namarie

Stalker

• Interests:Writing, reading, TV (The X-Files, Fringe, Doctor Who, Life, Bones, Numb3rs, NCIS, Firefly, Buffy, Angel), movies, music, languages

Posted May 10, 2010 @ 12:31 PM

I definitely want to see more of Rory. He's smart, insightful, and his interplay with Amy and with Eleven was lots of fun to watch.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2010 @ 9:48 AM

And this show does work well with two companions, hence another reason for Rory to stay.

Weasley717

Weasley717

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 16, 2010 @ 5:17 PM

After the events of "Amy's Choice", I'm completely in love with Rory and if Amy doesn't want to marry him, I will.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 17, 2010 @ 9:40 AM

I think Amy does want to marry Rory, just not yet. She's very young to be getting married anyways. Rory too come to think of it.

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 4:15 AM

After the events of "Amy's Choice", I'm completely in love with Rory

Me too. He is proven that he is capable of doing incredible things.

furrylump

furrylump

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2010 @ 4:12 AM

Saw VoV last night and am officially hopping on the Rory love train. He's just adorable. He had these great little hesitant moments of really having no clue what to do, but then he can be really capable and perceptive (the speech to the Doctor, for example) too.

The speech Rory's speech to Rosanna to get Amy into the school was one of the funniest things I've seen on Doctor Who. The 'cheers' at the end had me rolling.

I loved that - and it demonstrates perfectly what people have said about him being sort of bumbling, but in an understandable and human way. Although the Doctor can spontaneously lie his head off with absolute confidence, most people, especially if they didn't do it frequently, would have a much harder time of it. Especially if they were facing a room full of vampires. So it makes perfect sense that poor Rory wouldn't have exactly nailed it. My favourite part, though, was his hestitant "your... school for special people," when he wasn't sure what to call it.

I also loved when he was trying to distract Francesca or whatever the male vampfish's name was. I still giggle when I think of him calling Francesca a Spongebob. And then when he was swishing the broom around to look threatening, he was making these little noises, like a lightsaber or something. Again, so adorable.

Edited by furrylump, May 25, 2010 @ 4:12 AM.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 26, 2010 @ 8:21 AM

Rory has been brilliant these last few episodes. While Amy got shafted with Saturday's episode, Rory was helping the Doctor and wanted to keep Alaya safe, even if he didn't trust the Silurian.

HauntedBathroom

HauntedBathroom

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2010 @ 5:37 AM

Rory!!!! Blub.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 30, 2010 @ 5:14 PM

Poor guy certainly deserved something better than what we got here.

HauntedBathroom

HauntedBathroom

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2010 @ 6:53 PM

Thing is, I've seen posters on various forums saying if the Doctor can 'fix' the crack, Rory can be brought back. But the episode made clear that Rory dies because of the Silurians rather then the crack, as opposed to the clerics in Flesh and Blood. When the crack gets resolved, then hopefully Rory will be remembered (because he deserves it), but I think he's dead.

Edited by HauntedBathroom, May 30, 2010 @ 6:55 PM.

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted May 31, 2010 @ 5:44 AM

Like I said from the episode thread, Rory deserved a proper send off. Not being treated like a de ja vu.

Damn, damn, damn.

Edited by HoneyBee, May 31, 2010 @ 5:45 AM.

Pharangese

Pharangese

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 18, 2010 @ 4:35 PM

Tsk.... cruel cruel. Reminded me of Adric, but less memorable.