1-9: "Perchance to Dream" 2010.04.27

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

164 replies to this topic

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2010 @ 8:30 PM

TV Guide sez:

Kristina returns to work, leaving Adam to take care of the kids for the weekend. Elsewhere, an upcoming school dance prompts Adam to give Drew advice on girls; Sarah runs into an ex while attending a college event with Amber; Julia tries to discourage Sydney from lying; and Crosby and Jasmine go on a date.

ebeth

ebeth

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 27, 2010 @ 10:10 PM

OMG, my Thing for Jim K just died the kind of sputtering death that Things die at public recitations of vaginally inspired poetry. If ever there was a male archetype less attractive than a whiny poet with a rejection complex, I hope never to encounter it. And if I do, I will drive a stake through it's heart, douse it with kerosene and light it on fire.

I am headed over to the Survivor thread to begin hacking away at Jim's standing.

Cosmos2

Cosmos2

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2010 @ 10:10 PM

Poor Drew. Dumped by his girl at the dance, then he got turned on by Haddie's striptease.

So did Sydney really break the vase? More importantly: how did it happen? An accident or what?

redvelvet

redvelvet

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2010 @ 10:20 PM

I loved Sarah and Amber's expressions when Jim was reading his poetry. Had me laughing out loud!

Hattie is a brat.

ebeth

ebeth

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 27, 2010 @ 10:24 PM

Hattie is a brat.

In fairness to Haddie, Adam was yanking her around and being a total dick.

clevernamehere

clevernamehere

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2010 @ 10:26 PM

This was such an odd episode.

Were we supposed to think that Sarah was digging barista guy because heís a respected poet? Never mind the creepy vaginal poetry, I donít want to see any of the characters turned into groupies.

Poor Drew. Dumped by his girl at the dance, then he got turned on by Haddie's striptease.

He wasnít dumped by anyone, a girl just (fairly politely) turned him down when he asked her to dance. Iím not sure where they were going with his look with the bra. Iím going to assume it was uncomfortable for my own piece of mind.

The whole Haddie subplot bugged. A Victoriaís Secret bra is not a big deal for a 15 year old girl and hasnít been for quite some time. Really most of the bras arenít even all that sexy on, it isnít like they sell nipple cut out bras. You can get the same stuff at Macyís.

As much as Haddie was out of line and as much as I was surprised boyfriend parents let them hang out alone in his room without even the pretense of a movie, her dadís sexist double standard was not cool. It is reasonable to ground her for running out of the house. It is reasonable to require that she dress appropriately and not wear that Flashdance tee shirt (though her bra is really none of his business). It isnít reasonable for him to say ďIím going to behave like a loon because youíre a girl.Ē I know some dads act like that, but I donít like it being presented as reasonable.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 27, 2010 @ 10:34 PM

Return of Drew! But he must have sent his grandparents wherever he was.

Edited by braggtastic, Apr 28, 2010 @ 7:30 AM.

Cosmos2

Cosmos2

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2010 @ 10:36 PM

In the "next week" segment at the end, it looks like the Drew/Haddie story is going to continue.

Scrapper

Scrapper

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2010 @ 10:37 PM

Poor Drew. He gets a bit of a storyline and all he gets is humiliated multiple times. Well at least he's used to Amber/Mom drama which explains his amusement at Adam storming over to get Haddie. LMAO. Drew's such a good kid. I think he needs a hug. But, the Braverman grandparents only have one TV? And Zeek watches Project Runway with Camille?? Or was Zeek off buying more useless property and therefore not at home.

Poor Kristina. I'm not sure if she really wants to stay home with the kids or if she wants her career. Honestly, I think she wants both. But, when Adam was rattling off sacrifices of everyone else Kristina reverted back to o well, I guess I'll sacrifice my wish, as usual. Not that I think she is resentful in anyway. I want to know about her past because she is a def. used to not getting her way when it comes to people she cares for. I don't think that makes her a holier than thou or bad or anything. I just find it interesting that she is so cool with it other than a bit of sadness.

Can't stand Haddie. She is a perfect example of a book smart cute teen but, I find her annoying as hell. She doesn't appreciate her parents at ALL. Which is to be expected but that doesn't mean it doesn't annoy me.

At least Amber (even when she's being a bitch) shows that she loves her mom and tries to see where she's coming from sometimes. Like her and Sarah's story this episode vagizzle poems and all. The looks on Amber's and Sarah's faces were brilliant. They are such great actors.

Even if in the future their are still GG comparisons I really can't ever agree because Mae kicks the shet out of Alexis acting wise. It's just like comparing Evangeline Lilly and Yunjin Kim acting wise. You just can't. Not attacking Evangeline or Alexis they got better over the years but, some actors just got it and Mae has it, IMO.

On a shallow note Lauren is so beautiful. She looked radiant in the kitchen scene with her pony tail and white tee. If always takes time costume to showcase certain people true looks.

Not really digging Jasmine and Crosby knew it would happen but, ehh. Also not buying Crosby's transformation from feckless dick to "great" dad in what like two months tops. Sure. Though maybe he's one of those people that needs a reason. I guess I can see it a bit. I have a friend who was a total irresponsible lout and she got pregnant and now she's super single mom (with a little bit of white trash roots showing in her choice of current boyfriend). But, she has 9 months and a birth to get used to that. Crosby has had a month and a half.

I would get on Julia for teaching Sydney that everything is about winning or losing but, she really doesn't seem to realize she does it. And when she does realize things she feels bad. I think if someone called her on it before the her type A personality comes out she would be more aware and tone it down. Plus Savannah is the best kid actor on the show. Hands down. Her tone and body language through-out her story line was amazing. She's got quite the comedic acting career and if she grows into a looker (which I have no doubt she will) her career with be even better.

ImNotLeesa

ImNotLeesa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2010 @ 10:38 PM

Kristina continues to be my favorite character. She was so insanely dorky trying on her "return to work" outfits, and at one point, when they cut to her and she had that green scarf tied in a big bow, she made me laugh out loud.

Adam, on the other hand, may have lost his mind. Haddie may have been out of line, but he was just crazy with her.

ebeth

ebeth

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 27, 2010 @ 10:39 PM

I'm going to come to Haddie's defense here, which is weird, because usually I don't like her much:

I think there comes a point when a kid is justified in defying his or her parents, and I think Adam totally hit that point. Her mom said she could go out, and he delayed her - told her that she could go out in an hour, when he got back. Then he got back and reneged. On top of that, he gave her a totally ridiculous excuse. "There could be an emergency"? What kind of emergency does Adam imagine would require Haddie to be immediately on the scene?

It's fine to generally require that teenagers be reasonably respectful and obedient, it's not okay to be a power-tripping jackass. Adam was on the wrong side of the line and I think he knew it.

Scrapper

Scrapper

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2010 @ 10:45 PM

I do love that even if though Haddie/Max treat their mother like a cook/maid anytime Adam starts to attempt to break a promise they both scream MOM SAID. Like that's the magic words.

Not a Toaster

Not a Toaster

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 27, 2010 @ 10:46 PM

I really enjoyed this episode. The show is really starting to hit its stride.

As someone mentioned upthread, the expressions on Sarah and Amber's faces were absolutely hilarious when what's his face was reading the poetry. I have much love for both actresses as they were on two of my favorite shows and they have such great chemistry together. I also thought it was really sweet that Amber gave Sarah the Berkeley catalog. I know Lorelai getting her degree was a big deal on GG, but the parallels don't really bother me.

I was watching the show with Mr. Not A Toaster and we agreed that when we have children, we won't have a double-standard. If we catch our teenage son making out with a girl in his room there will be hell to pay.

Did I see Steve flirting with Amber in the previews for next week? Really? Her?

ETA: My absolute favorite line of the night was when Erica, Julia and Sarah were talking about bases and Sarah said something like "First base is kissing, second base...they read Tennyson." LG gets the best lines on this show.

Edited by Not a Toaster, Apr 27, 2010 @ 10:49 PM.

ImNotLeesa

ImNotLeesa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2010 @ 10:47 PM

ebeth, you're right, I think he did realize it, at least at the end.

As annoying as Adam's behavior with Haddie was, I did cheer him on one point: When Steve started talking to him and called him "Adam", Adam stopped and corrected him "It's Mr. Braverman!" It's as though he had been reading the posts here.

dustylil

dustylil

Stalker

Posted Apr 27, 2010 @ 10:48 PM

At least Amber (even when she's being a bitch) shows that she loves her mom and tries to see where she's coming from sometimes. Like her and Sarah's story this episode vagizzle poems and all. The looks on Amber's and Sarah's faces were brilliant. They are such great actors.

So true.
The only nitpick I had was with the scene when Sarah and her kid were sorting laundry and Sarah was trying to convince Amber of the value of going to college. She referred to Amber as (potentially) Dr. Braverman. Wouldn't she be Dr. Holt?

EmpressbyNature

EmpressbyNature

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2010 @ 11:27 PM

I think Jasmine and Crosby are cute, but that may be because I really find Joy Bryant adorable. I did like in the dinner though when she was talking about how Jabar was so adorable singing in Italy and how he should have seen it and that little pause when Crosby said he would have liked to seen it. Obviously it still has to be addressed how she never told him about his son.

I am pretty much on Haddie's side and I think it's played that we're sort of supposed to be. I think Sarah Ramos did a good job portraying the disbelief in the kitchen scene when Adam was basically like, yes, I will treat you unfairly and ridiculously because you are a girl.

Also I enjoy Erica, Julia, Sarah scenes. They are amusing homies. Also, before I got annoyed at Adam in the latter half of the episode, I must admit I was very amused and charmed by The Fever. His dance moves were pretty wicked and the hilariously smug way he was telling Drew about how great his dancing skills were pretty much killed me.

mandigirl

mandigirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2010 @ 11:37 PM

As much as Haddie was out of line and as much as I was surprised boyfriend parents let them hang out alone in his room without even the pretense of a movie, her dadís sexist double standard was not cool.

Yeah - I REALLY wasn't down for how Adam treated her tonight! I thought she was (and has been) hella disrespectful, but his ridiculous double-standard is disgusting and he needs to get over it. I mean he threw away her bra? That's just weird.

Disappointed that it looks like Kristina won't take the job (I hope she'll atleast take the part-time ones). But it was cute that Adam seemed genuinely happy for her. Some shows would have tried to make problems with that.

Next week looks intriguing. Hope it won't go the way I think it will...

IvyDarling

IvyDarling

Stalker

Posted Apr 27, 2010 @ 11:41 PM

Julia making Sydney clean up her mess reminded me of the Cosby Show episode where Rudy was made to clean up the mess she made when using Cliff's juicer without permission. Aside from the possible danger in making a young kid clean up a broken vase, I'm totally down with what Julia tried to do and get across.

I'm wondering why Kristina punked out about the job. I think it would be better for her, emotionally and spiritually, if she went to work and got out of the house.

I dislike Haddie immensely, so I could give a damn about whether she should have been able to go out or not (though I disagree with Adam's reasoning about it). Also--when she asked Kristina to define sex and she laughed? I was like, yea, this girl is totally engaging in some oral sex (which is sex, Haddie, hence sex being a part of the term).

So Amber and Sarah went to visit UC Berkeley? This is a kid who almost got left back and bailed on the SAT--and they visit Berkeley? Ok.

izabella

izabella

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2010 @ 11:59 PM

It seems Amber has said she doesn't want to go to college, but hasn't told her yet that she didn't take the SAT.

Haddie really gets on my nerves. Yes, Adam admitted he has a double standard, and I have no doubt he does. But that's not what was going on that night. He drove Drew to a dance. In a public place. Where he wanted to ask a girl to dance. Haddie was going to make out in her bf's bedroom.

Two very different scenarios.

I'm sure Adam would have been happy to drive Haddie to a dance, and wait for her while she was there, and then drive her back. Which is the only thing he was doing for Drew.

omgsowicked

omgsowicked

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 12:05 AM

Holy crap, Drew! You exist! Haha. Poor Drew... what a sweet kid. I hope he gets a happier storyline soon, so far he's leading a not so happy life (if we even see him at all).

Haddie bugged me this episode. Adam was totally insane, so I sided with her this time but she always comes off as super bratty. Like Scrapper said upthread, even Amber shows that she appreciates her mom (and in this episode, showed that she loves her brother by trying to help him out with clothes). But yeah, the double standard issue... it's on both sides. Steve's parents just let them go upstairs with the door closed? I can almost understand why Adam feels the need to overreact; to make up for the lax attitudes of Steve's parents. They're just kids so it won't last (next week's preview seems to say so) but maybe both sets of parents should have sat down and agreed on what they felt was appropriate (such as no being alone in the bedroom with the door closed).

Liked the Kristina story. I liked that they showed her being outdated but that she was able to catch up. It's clear that she wants to go back to work but once Adam started on about what they needed to do, she stopped it all. She says she won't regret it but she will. She said herself, she loves being super!Mom/Wife but she needs more. She should make that happen, even if it's not the LA job.

Poet guy... my god. How awkward! I loved watching Amber and Sarah's faces change as they realized what they were listening to. It was nice to see Amber and Sarah talk and get along. Sweet of Amber to suggest Sarah goes back to school. I hope Sarah still pushes Amber to go as well. Maybe they'll go to the same school and Sarah will date Amber's professor. Part deux, ha.

Julia and Joel... are they suggesting a breakup in the future? I wouldn't be surprised. When Jabbar came over, they had their happy family faces on but we don't really seem them being affectionate. The ending seemed like Joel was pretty fed up, though I guess I would be too if my wife was using her lawyer moves at home all the time.

Jasmine/Crosby... It's nice that they're trying but I don't know how I feel about their storyline. Hmm.

Next weeks episode looks interesting. I'm really getting into the show now.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 12:41 AM

Amber and Haddie are both brats. Why am I more sympathetic to Amber than to Haddie? It's weird.

I think Adam's double standard is repulsive, and I don't even care if Haddie wears the stupid bra/shirt with one shoulder showing. At the same time, Steve's parents are dimwits. I agree that going to a dance is not the same as making out in the bedroom with the door closed.

I still think Joel despises his wife.

Drew needs something good to happen. Maybe Camille can teach him how to dance. I suspect Camille has the right temperament to understand shy people, and not make the lesson all about herself. It's notable that Drew doesn't go to Joel for advice. In fact, Joel is very aloof from everyone, except the execrable mom of Harmony, and in the pilot where he did have a bro-bonding scene. Also notable: Sarah does not appear to even remember that Drew is her kid.

I was cringing during the poetry reading. I forgive Sarah for not wanting to date Jim.

mandigirl

mandigirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 12:51 AM

But that's not what was going on that night. He drove Drew to a dance. In a public place. Where he wanted to ask a girl to dance. Haddie was going to make out in her bf's bedroom.Two very different scenarios.

I think the double-standard Haddie was referring to was that Adam bent over backwards to give Drew a chance with some girl he liked, but put obstacle after ridiculous obstacle in front of her so that she couldn't hang out with her boyfriend. Adam was acting weird and not wanting her to go BEFORE the door closed episode so I think she has a point.

Jen2000

Jen2000

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 12:51 AM

The whole Haddie subplot bugged. A Victoriaís Secret bra is not a big deal for a 15 year old girl and hasnít been for quite some time. Really most of the bras arenít even all that sexy on, it isnít like they sell nipple cut out bras. You can get the same stuff at Macyís.

Agreed - plus why did she need to order it by mail? Every mall has a VS store.

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 1:05 AM

You know what would help Jabbar poop? Leaving him alone.

BabyVegas

BabyVegas

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 1:06 AM

Every time Adam opens his mouth with regards to parenting, I forget that he's a fictional character and I'm seized with the irrational urge to punch him out. There are numerous problems with his attitude, starting with teaching Haddie that she shouldn't think for herself, that she should just do as Daddy says and not showing any respect to Kristina by undermining her authority. I remember when my dad did something very similar with me and my sister and it didn't turn out well either time. We both felt as though he thought he could rule with an iron fist and so we learned to nod, smile, and do what we were going to do anyway and figure out ways not to get caught. That's one thing I kept wanting people to say to Adam. If he tries to lock Haddie up and throw away the key, one way or another she's going to rebel and she's either going to always feel a coldness to him or she's going to hurt herself to prove that she can make her own decisions.

But hey, Drew is back! Guess he found the elevator out of Subplot Sub-basement C. Here's hoping there isn't a trapdoor back.

Edited by BabyVegas, Apr 28, 2010 @ 1:10 AM.

ACWatt

ACWatt

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 1:27 AM

I didn't like that there was no further resolution to the Adam/Haddie situation, but maybe that's more true to life. He acknowledged the double standard and the fact that he was basically being unreasonable, but didn't apologize or accept that he was in the wrong, so it was just kind of a weird way to leave it.

I don't like when there are contrived setups in order to move a plot, which this show does a bit too often. In this case, it was the bra setup. Why in the world would Haddie buy the bra online? I know she can't drive yet, but I'm sure going to the mall with her friends is something that she's done, and bringing it home unnoticed would seem a lot easier than hoping her parents ignore a package they receive in her name.

I'm not sure what to make of Joel. He's so passive all the time, but I can't tell if he's just knowingly amused by Julia's parenting style, or utterly annoyed and frustrated. I'd like to see him involved in the core of the show a bit more.

I found the "watching Jabar poop" scene uncomfortable. I'm not a parent, so I don't know yet how these dynamics work, but it just seemed like he's old enough where it's kind of awkward for two adults to hover over him while he tries to poop. Whatever works for them, I guess.

I loved Sarah and Amber's scenes this week; lots of fun humor there. Same with Drew and his scenes with Adam. Good episode overall, I thought.

mother of 4

mother of 4

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 2:17 AM

This was my favorite episode. The funniest line was when Julia asked Sydney if she knew who wrote the Declaration of Independence and she replied "you". I agree with Scrapper that Sydney, aka, Savannah has a bright future ahead of her. Her expressions and timing were perfect.

It was nice to see Sarah and Amber connect in this episode. Lauren and Mae are so believable as mother and daughter.

Drew is back. I think they should get rid of that pain in the butt, Max, and make Drew be Adam and Kristina's son because Sarah is just to busy for him

I like Haddie and I love the overbearing Adam. She isn't a brat. She's fighting for independence like all teenagers.

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 5:08 AM

I found the "watching Jabar poop" scene uncomfortable.

I was completely grossed out by that scene. Way too much information, show.

esprit15d

esprit15d

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 6:53 AM

Whoever said that Savannah is a great actress: I'm in total agreement. She's just excellent. Tyree gets better material, and is super cute (I'm totally in love) but when it comes to raw acting chops, Savannah has a future ahead of her if she wants to be an actress.

The only nitpick I had was with the scene when Sarah and her kid were sorting laundry and Sarah was trying to convince Amber of the value of going to college. She referred to Amber as (potentially) Dr. Braverman. Wouldn't she be Dr. Holt?

She would be, and if you listen closely through all the talking, Amber said the same thing.

Can't stand Haddie. She is a perfect example of a book smart cute teen but, I find her annoying as hell. She doesn't appreciate her parents at ALL. Which is to be expected but that doesn't mean it doesn't annoy me.

Adam made some parenting errors, but Haddie literally drives me nuts.

To me, his face said "OMG, when did this turn into the Jerry Spring show." But, notice his rebound time; he is no stranger to family dysfunction and screaming matches.

Poor Kristina. I'm not sure if she really wants to stay home with the kids or if she wants her career. Honestly, I think she wants both. But, when Adam was rattling off sacrifices of everyone else Kristina reverted back to o well, I guess I'll sacrifice my wish, as usual. Not that I think she is resentful in anyway. I want to know about her past because she is a def. used to not getting her way when it comes to people she cares for. I don't think that makes her a holier than thou or bad or anything. I just find it interesting that she is so cool with it other than a bit of sadness.

She is a willing martyr for her family, which is noble, but needs to be balanced. I don't think we've seen the last of her career though.

Haddie is just clueless. Amber is no saint, bujt she just has more of a clue than Haddie. I'd take Amber over Haddie any day.

I found the "watching Jabar poop" scene uncomfortable. I'm not a parent, so I don't know yet how these dynamics work, but it just seemed like he's old enough where it's kind of awkward for two adults to hover over him while he tries to poop. Whatever works for them, I guess.

I think we were supposed to feel uncomfortable. But the show was showing that kids will put you in some weird situations, and whether or not it was absolutely necessary for them to be there, if Jabbar wanted some...help getting his business done, from their standpoint, it was like, why not? The alternative was driving him home, which I think was not preferable.

itsjfitz

itsjfitz

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 7:29 AM

She referred to Amber as (potentially) Dr. Braverman. Wouldn't she be Dr. Holt?

Amber would be Dr. Holt. Sarah, had she gone to college, would have been Dr. Braverman, wouldn't she? I think that was meant to be a Freudian slip. Or maybe I'm giving the writers too much credit?