Young Justice

• Please log in to reply

1227 replies to this topic

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2010 @ 12:29 AM

This. Is. Awesomesauce! (YouTube for those outside the US)

To sum up the vid for those who can't see it...

There will be a 16 member Justice League made up of:

Red Tornado
Green Lantern John Stewart
Black Canary
Captain Atom
Some guy in a magician outfit
Captain marvel
Superman
Batman
Wonder Woman
Green Arrow
Hawkman
Hawkgirl
Martian Manhunter
Aquaman
Flash
Green Lantern Hal Jordan

The JL play an important role in the show, it looks like Batman sends YJ out in missions.

Speedy/Red Arrow is present on the board by he looks to be in YJ.

The YJ group ARE teenagers and they'll deal with all the stuff teenagers deal with but amped up, school/romance/sex/secret identities and dealing with life situations. Out of YJ, Robin has been a hero the longest (4 years). In the timeline, Superman has only been active for 10 years. All mentors that are counterparts of the YJ play big roles. Some characters will die. Click here for screencaps.

Everything they talk about is what I wanted Young Justice to be and more! I'm psyched that the Justice League is going to be playing such a strong role in the series. They have a really interesting set-up for this show and I can't wait to see more. The animation looks great.

As for the mention of someone dying, looking at that board I have a feeling Speedy won't last the first five episodes.

I only wish they had mentioned which Robin they've been using. Going by the timeline, he could easily be Dick instead of Tim. I hope not, I want my Nightwing, dammit!

Edited by Tableau, Jul 23, 2010 @ 12:43 AM.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jul 23, 2010 @ 1:01 AM

Magician guy is probably Zatara. Maybe Zatanna will be YJ age?

And yeah, the animation looks good, though Kid Flash's goggles look kinda silly.

ETA: We should be getting a trailer soon; like I said a few weeks ago, it'll run at the panel for Batman: The Brave And The Bold at CCI.

Edited by Lantern7, Jul 23, 2010 @ 1:03 AM.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Jul 24, 2010 @ 12:41 PM

And yeah, the animation looks good, though Kid Flash's goggles look kinda silly.

But Kid Flash is silly so it should fit his character perfectly. :)

It's been confirmed that their Robin is indeed Dick Grayson. No Nightwing appearances. :(

A ton more info from Comic Con.

This is all making me giddy.

Here's what they were willing to tell us:

* The series takes place within the 50 DC Multiverses, specifically Earth-16, at an early stage in DC Continuity
* Sixteen of the regular Justice League members will appear, with Bruce Greenwood voicing Batman, Phil LaMarr voicing Aquaman, Alan Tudyk as Green Arrow, and Rob Lowe as Captain Marvel
* The core Young Justice team will consist of Robin/Dick Grayson (Jesse McCartney), Kid Flash/Wally West (Jason Spizak), Aqualad (Kari Peyton), Superboy/Connor Kent (Nolan North), Miss Martian (Danica McKellar), and Artemis (Stephani Lemelin)
* SPOILER ALERT! In a twist, the creators have decided to name Black Manta as Aqualad's father!
* Several cold-themed villains appeared in the footage, namely Captain Cold, Ice, and Icicle.

Here's some more from the panel...

We'll be seeing Dick Grayson Robin who is 13. He has the most experience but won't be the leader. Leadership goes to Aqualad. Geoff Johns gave permission for Aqualad's father to be revealed. It's Black Manta, if you hadn't already guessed. We'll also see Kid Flash (Wally West, age 15), Superboy (age 16 weeks), Miss Martian (16 Martian years) and Artemis (age 15).

Source

Damn, Robin is freakin' young-- 13??? That means he's been crime fighting since he was 9! Everyone else is well over 2 years his senior, no wonder he's not the leader of the group but Aqualad? He better be a damn good character who has powers that are useful outside the water! Oh and 16 Martian years? That's 30 Earth years. With that seniority, Miss Martian should be leader. I wonder what Connor's story is going to be with only being 16 weeks old.

Edited by Tableau, Jul 24, 2010 @ 12:44 PM.

Ganymedeone

Ganymedeone

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 24, 2010 @ 11:32 PM

I'm excited about Conner finally getting animated! Zatara seems an odd choice for the JLA. Current Zatara (Zach) is Titan/YJ age, and Zatanna's previously been associated with animated JL, plus she has her own book. Great choices otherwise.Did they say which Kid Flash this is? Contemporary of Conner would be Bart, but Wally would be Dick's age, so it's a toss up I guess.(Looks like ALad will have Mera's hard water powers, which means his origin in Brightest Day better hurry up and be told before the show airs.)

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2010 @ 12:05 AM

Kid Flash is Wally which makes sense since this Robin is Dick. It is a bit strange seeing Connor along side Dick and Wally when he didn't show up until those two were adults.

Aqualad is going to be the team leader which I guess makes sense. Robin and Superboy are too young, Miss. Martian may be the oldest at 30 but she's new to earth, Kid Flash will probably be too impulsive and I have a feeling Artemis may turn into a bad guy. By default, Aqualad is leader.

I think this Zatara is Zatanna's father and he's going to get killed on the show like he was in the comics (this is spec) then Zatanna will take his place or something along those lines.

lurk3000

lurk3000

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 25, 2010 @ 3:03 AM

Can't wait. That preview looked great!

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Jul 25, 2010 @ 11:32 AM

Peter David wrote in his blog from Comic Con that he actually is a couple of episodes:

First, I neglected to mention yesterday that I attended the presentation of the “Young Justice” animated series. The audience reaction seems overwhelmingly positive, and I’m glad to hear it, because (and I am now free to mention it) I’m going to be writing several episodes for the series. I’m thrilled to have the opportunity to reconnect with the characters, even if there are some differences between the guys I wrote and the new incarnation. I would love to tell you all about my first episode, but I’m afraid that it’s…oh, what’s the word…Secret.

Edited by Limbonaut, Jul 25, 2010 @ 11:33 AM.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jul 25, 2010 @ 11:42 AM

First of all: so NOW he admits to knowing about it. Secondly: Secret? Oh, nice. While dreams of Empress, Lil Lobo and Hugga-Tugga-Thuggies are elusive, it's nice to know that David (who wrote the run of YJ) will bring her into the mix. Now if only Todd Nauck would strand members of the team on a satilete with only bad movies to keep them company.

Ganymedeone

Ganymedeone

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 25, 2010 @ 12:35 PM

I think this Zatara is Zatanna's father and he's going to get killed on the show like he was in the comics (this is spec) then Zatanna will take his place or something along those lines.

Possibly. I was just surprised in that DC often takes what's successful in other media and incorporates it into the comics (Harley Quinn, Crystal Krypton, Static, John Stewart as JLAer, etc.) while using other media to push comics (Blue Beetle), so it seemed an odd decision to change up an already established (in animation) membership in the JLA at the same time that DC could use the media exposure to possibly aid with sales of a new ongoing series.
Peter David is writing? Darn. I was going to record the series. Now I won't be able to watch the recorded episodes with friends.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Jul 25, 2010 @ 1:48 PM

First of all: so NOW he admits to knowing about it.

He said he wasn't allowed to until now. I don't know I liked a lot of Peter David's YJ. I was used to his humorous take on The Incredible Hulk and X-Factor although he did amp it up for Young Justice. The lighter tone actually fit the what the younger characters like Superboy and Impulse were back then. I definitely liked what he did to Wonder Girl(Cassie Sandmark) more than John Byrne did. Too bad she's not in this show. I prefer the comedic aspect of David than the topical, political aspect. With Greg Weisman as the showrunner I don't think we'll get anything too crazy or a whacky tone. If David can write Harm in the actual episodes the way he did in the comic then that would be cool.

Anthony W

Anthony W

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 27, 2010 @ 3:26 PM

I'm torn. I like superheroes but I hate shows and comics with teens as the main characters. I can almost hear the cries of "No one understands me!" from here.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Jul 27, 2010 @ 4:05 PM

Bruce Greenwood voicing Batman

Why? Why? They couldn't or wouldn't try to get Kevin Conroy? That just bites.

To me, Kevin Conroy IS Batman. 'nuff said.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2010 @ 4:21 PM

Greenwood did a great job in Red Hood, give him a chance first.

I can almost hear the cries of "No one understands me!" from here.

According to the creators, Batman will be in the show quite a bit as the teams' handler and general of sorts. I can't see him putting up with that kind of stuff for long.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Jul 27, 2010 @ 4:34 PM

Greenwood did a great job in Red Hood, give him a chance first.

I thought he was great as Captain Pike in the Star Trek revamp.

I'm torn. I like superheroes but I hate shows and comics with teens as the main characters. I can almost hear the cries of "No one understands me!" from here.

I love them when they're done well, like the best Spider-Man comics and cartoons.

I was a teen growing up in the 90s which was not the best time for comics but I loved the original run of New Warriors by Fabian Niceiza, I collected back issues of Teen Titans by Marv Wolfman and George Perez, Karl Kessel's two runs on Superboy, Young Justice and Ultimate Spider-Man.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2010 @ 7:24 PM

Is Batman going to be the leader of the Justice League?

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Jul 27, 2010 @ 9:07 PM

I think he just assigns missions but doesn't go out in the field with them. He's more like Top Cat on "Yogi's Treasure Hunt".

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2010 @ 7:38 PM

Greg Weisman answers some non spoiler specific questions on Young Justice.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Aug 4, 2010 @ 12:18 PM

This is a question for those who have read the original comic, how did the team manage their secret identities? Did everyone know who Robin and Impulse were?

Now I wonder how they are going to handle this in the show. In the original Robin was just Tim Drake who had (at the time) his own family and separate public life from Bruce Wayne but with this Robin being Dick couldn't the rest of the team just as easily know who Batman is? Wouldn't that be a problem?

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Aug 4, 2010 @ 4:33 PM

Robin kept his identity as Tim Drake a secret for a long time in Young Justice.

Ravenwing263

Ravenwing263

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 5, 2010 @ 12:23 PM

Possibly. I was just surprised in that DC often takes what's successful in other media and incorporates it into the comics (Harley Quinn, Crystal Krypton, Static, John Stewart as JLAer, etc.) while using other media to push comics (Blue Beetle), so it seemed an odd decision to change up an already established (in animation) membership in the JLA at the same time that DC could use the media exposure to possibly aid with sales of a new ongoing series.

Well, it is strange; but my guess is that Giovanni is in the Justice League because we're going to be seeing a Young Justice-age Zatanna, instead of making us deal with bloody Zack Zatara.

Peter David is writing? Darn. I was going to record the series. Now I won't be able to watch the recorded episodes with friends.

You're upset that the writer who created Young Justice is going to be writing the Young Justice cartoon?

This is a question for those who have read the original comic, how did the team manage their secret identities? Did everyone know who Robin and Impulse were?

Now I wonder how they are going to handle this in the show. In the original Robin was just Tim Drake who had (at the time) his own family and separate public life from Bruce Wayne but with this Robin being Dick couldn't the rest of the team just as easily know who Batman is? Wouldn't that be a problem?

In the original, everyone was open about their secret identities except Robin. (Note that Superboy was not maintaining a secret identity for most of the time Young Justice existed.) This caused a lot of drama and eventually he came clean. Dick Grayson, on the other hand, was always open with his identity with the Teen Titans; and, yes, that resulted in them all knowing that Bruce Wayne was Batman.

Edited by Ravenwing263, Aug 5, 2010 @ 12:30 PM.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Aug 6, 2010 @ 4:27 PM

Another reason for me to look forward to this show. Winnie Cooper(Danica McKellar) is playing Miss Martian!

Marq DeCarabas

Marq DeCarabas

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2010 @ 6:54 PM

In the original, everyone was open about their secret identities except Robin. (Note that Superboy was not maintaining a secret identity for most of the time Young Justice existed.) This caused a lot of drama and eventually he came clean. Dick Grayson, on the other hand, was always open with his identity with the Teen Titans; and, yes, that resulted in them all knowing that Bruce Wayne was Batman.

You just reminded me of one my favourite character bits of the series. They are playing truth or dare and someone dares robin to take his mask off. He does to reveal another mask underneath.

You're upset that the writer who created Young Justice is going to be writing the Young Justice cartoon?

I'll add my confusion to the mix. Are you a Todd McFarlane fan?

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2010 @ 9:11 PM

A 45 minute interview with Greg Weisman who starts to talk about Young Justice at the 31:52 mark.

More from the Ask Greg thread...

For Young Justice, were there any restrictions to the dc universe characters that you could use (aside from Wonder Woman and Wonder Girl)? Is there anything like the Bat-embargo that JLU had?

Wonder Woman IS in the series. She was never off limits.

There is a VERY small handful of characters that we aren't allowed to use in Season One. (And by handful, I mean I could count them on one hand.) The list WAS longer when we first developed the series and broke down the first season, but it's grown shorter since.

But I should make the point that (a) we already have a metric ton of DC Universe characters appearing in Season One and (b) 98% of the decisions as to who would and wouldn't appear were CREATIVE decisions made by Brandon Vietti and myself. Some characters aren't appearing in Season One, because creatively we felt they didn't belong there -- having nothing to do with any external restrictions.

So some characters that will not appear in Season One, may appear in Season Two (if in success we get a pick-up), either because now we CAN use them or because that's where we ALWAYS wanted them from day one ... or both.

So, you are one of the producers of "Young Justice". Does that mean you'll write the scripts that be produced into episodes or do you have a different job?

Part of my job is writing scripts. I've written four already and will probably write two more in the first season.

I'm also the story editor for all 26 scripts.

I'm also one of two producers on the show, so I at least comment on pretty much every aspect of production.

A piece about Young Justice from the site CBR. Highlights...

The pair said they have complete access to DC's vast array of characters. "We're not going to cover 100% in every episode, but nothing's off limits," Weisman explained.

the show will be main episodic. "Every episode - except for the two-part pilot - stands alone and tells a complete story, but we've got a lot of arcing and continuity throughout the twenty-six episodes and it builds to climaxes at various points in the season and then we'll go out with a huge bang at the end of the season," he said. "[There are] a lot of subplots running through episodes, but you can tune into any one episode and enjoy a story from beginning, middle and end and not have to have seen everything that comes before or everything that comes after. It's just that you get more out of it if you have. It's episodic, but it is sequential." The format is similar to both "Gargoyles" and "Spectacular Spider-Man" in that respect.

undecideable

undecideable

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 7, 2010 @ 7:44 PM

I'll add my confusion to the mix. Are you a Todd McFarlane fan?

I'm guessing someone from scans_daily.

Ravenwing263

Ravenwing263

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 13, 2010 @ 2:45 PM

Oh.

How silly.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Aug 20, 2010 @ 12:56 AM

A new interview with Greg Weisman & Brandon Vietti.

Highlights include...
  • Weisman and Vietti got the green light for the show last October but have been working on it since March last year.
  • The current cast of characters came together from a list of over 50 DC teenage heroes they had compiled from the comics.
  • The demo group they're aiming for with the show is everyone, male, female, young and old alike.
  • While the missions the team go on will be taken seriously, there will be humor to be found when they're off duty and hanging out. They are teenagers after all.
  • They'll be taking a look at every aspect of the heroes' lives, in and out of costume, trying to get a complete picture.
  • A lot of none talk about Superboy, just that he is newly cloned and he is pretty much a different character from the comics but that he still stays true to the character. They refuse to answer if he has Superman and Lex Luthor's DNA but promised that will be explored on the show.
  • In regard to Aqualad being the team leader, Geg says "We’ve got an interesting way into that--" Whatever that means.
  • Artemis is an already established DC comics character and she's not an Amazon. Artemis Crock, anyone?
  • Here's an interesting tidbit: Nolan North will be voicing Superman as well as Superboy.
  • From Greg on the whole Mission Impossible with teenagers angle of the show: " They want their own team, they get their own team, and then when they actually go out on missions, it isn’t always exactly what they want it to be, so there’s a lot of discovery that the kids have among themselves and on the mission at the same time."

Here's a video of a 15 minute interview with Greg from Comic Con!

The big thing mentioned in that video is that the core team as we see it now won't fully assembled until episode 6 of the season. The show will only start out with four teen heroes with one not joining the Young Justice team at the end of the first episode(?). By the end of season one, two more regulars will be added to the current core cast, making 8 memebers. All interesting stuff.

My guess is that Secret and Wonder Girl will be added then Artemis will turn bad and leave the team or die and Arrowette will be part of the team in season 2.

Edited by Tableau, Aug 20, 2010 @ 12:58 AM.

Ravenwing263

Ravenwing263

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 20, 2010 @ 5:48 PM

I remain convinced that Artemis is Arrowette with a new name.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2010 @ 6:59 PM

She's not. It has been confirmed that Arrowette will show up later on the show. Artemis is her own existing DC character, according to the creators.

Ravenwing263

Ravenwing263

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 22, 2010 @ 7:43 PM

Oh, I had missed the information that Arrowette will be showing up. When was that?

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Aug 24, 2010 @ 11:50 AM

They mentioned it at Comic Con. Her, Secret, and Wonder Girl will all be making appearances down the line.

Greg Weisman posted this on S8 in response to certain groups on the internet...

What's in a name...?

So I've been lurking a bit today on various Young Justice message boards (almost always a mistake), and I feel the need to respond on one point (ALWAYS a mistake).

Some people are asking (with various levels of outrage), why we are calling this series "Young Justice"?

They cite the fact that our Robin isn't Tim Drake, that our Kid Flash isn't Impulse/Bart Allen. That we're not using Wonder Girl or Arrowette or Secret and that even our Superboy is dressed more like the later Titans Superboy.

And, honestly, I can see their point. In some ways, I do almost (almost) wish we weren't using the Young Justice title.

But it would be nice if these people turned a more practical and realistic eye toward the question of title.

Some ask, why not call it Teen Titans, when you have Dick, Wally, Aqualad, etc.?

But the answer to that is beyond obvious. There was a RECENT hit series named Teen Titans. The name is TAKEN! Taken, by the way, by a great series that used the cast not of Teen Titans but of Marv Wolfman & George Perez's NEW TEEN TITANS with the tone of neither. In fact, the tone is/was much closer to Peter David & Todd Nauck's YOUNG JUSTICE. (Ironic, huh?)

And if, somehow, we DID call our series TEEN TITANS (again), how would that help? Another group of fans (with some overlap) would cry foul because we were putting Superboy, Miss Martian, Artemis and a new Aqualad in with Dick and Wally. Where's Donna? And etc.

The thing is... we're not doing a straight adaptation of either Teen Titans OR Young Justice. We are, in fact, pulling from both properties and later Titans and decades worth of Justice League stuff to create something new with a new continuity on a new Earth-16.

So what SHOULD we entitle it? There just ISN'T one comic book title that's a PERFECT fit for what we're doing. So if you get past the impossible notion of finding a historically accurate title, you're left with coming up with a MEANINGFUL title. In which case, Young Justice fits perfectly - at least on THAT level. (Trust me, you'll see.) It's a flat-out BETTER and more appropriate and more meaningful title for our series than New Titans or Teen Titans or plain old Titans or Justice League Task Force or Justice League Europe or Extreme Justice or Justice League Babies or pretty much anything else you can come up with. I know. I tried. Nothing else captures the essence of our series as well. Baggage or no baggage.

That still leaves the perfectly legit argument: Why do this? Why NOT just adapt the David/Nauck Young Justice? Fair question, absolutely.

And the answer here is... we didn't want to. The creative people (myself, Brandon Vietti, Sam Register, etc.) behind the series premiering this November on Cartoon Network didn't want to. That's not meant as any disrespect for a great comic book. But again, we felt that the tone of the David/Nauck Young Justice book had been done recently and well on television as Teen Titans. Different group of teens, but the same feeling. We wanted to do something NEW. Maybe you'll like it. Maybe you won't. But writers as diverse as Peter David (yep, that Peter David) and Geoff Johns and, uh, Greg Weisman all like what we're doing, so maybe it's worth at least giving us a chance. Or not. That's the call of every individual.

But if you are going to give us a try, you might also try leaving a bit of baggage behind. We have six leads and many, many, many supporting characters (135 existing characters from the DC Universe just through episode 16 alone). As when I worked on Spectacular Spider-Man, we have tried VERY hard to be as true to the core truths of each individual character as possible. Some of the interpretations may be new. Some of the details. The timeline is start from scratch. (Parallel universe, remember?) But the core should hold true, or I haven't done my job.

And gang, stop pretending you know what's coming or what ISN'T coming. What characters will eventually be included and which won't. We haven't even premiered yet. It's fine to guess. But making a guess and then praising or condemning us based on that guess is a bit rough.

Now, I know that this message will invariably read like I've got a big chip on my shoulder. And/or that I'm whining about fans pre-judging the work. That's not the TONE I want for this message. But it's hard in text to get tone across. The tone I'm looking for is more like... weariness. (Not wariness, but weariness.) Honestly, all I'm trying to get across here is that perhaps the conversation would be more productive if folks weren't stuck on preconceptions.

Oh, and one more thing for the record: I know a number of people -- even a few individuals legitimately attached to the series -- have been quoted saying the original title of the series was "Young Justice League". It wasn't. Ever. For better or worse, we were "Young Justice" from Day One of our development. And why not "Young Justice League?" Well, frankly, cuz it sounds awful, don't you think?

Non-sequitor, but since I'm in correcting-internet-incorrectness-mode: Miss Martian is the NIECE of Martian Manhunter. NOT his daughter. Someone misquoted us there.

Edited by Tableau, Aug 24, 2010 @ 11:51 AM.