Young Justice

• Please log in to reply

1227 replies to this topic

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 4:06 PM

The alien had his mind wiped like she did with Psimon when he discovered her white martian origin.

As for Beast Boy prior to the timeskip after the blood transfusion with Miss Martian his eyes became green and he was bit by a monkey.

So the monkey infected him causing changes in him since Miss Martian's blood was still in him. Later on his blood would have replaced Miss Martian's but not before causing the changes in him. It may have taken awhile though for the shapeshifting to kick in.

It's sort of a nice revision of his origin story in which he becomes infected with a deadly virus from being bitten by a green monkey and the serum to save his life has unintended side effects such as shape shifting.

Blixx

Blixx

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 7:06 PM

Thanks for the DVR help everyone, I didn't know it actually changed its title to "Invasion" so I had to set up a completely different series recording (rolleyes). Looks like I missed the first two episodes so hopefully I won't miss anymore.

Sonicsean34

Sonicsean34

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 7:10 PM

OK Connor was meant to replace superman, but Connor doesn't age. Even assuming that if he had not left his tube early he would have come out as SMs age after a while the whole charade would be noticed. It just comes of as more ANGST for the sake of it (combined with my issues last ep of them wanting M'gann and Connor to be in the opening scene to trick people who loved last season)

Also no Nightwing, still no info on Kid flash and the other team members we care about already. At least the only "new" important person this week was Beast Boy who we sorta new from that one ep last season so it was a bit better than the 50 bazillion character the ep before. Hope next ep restores the old show feeling.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 8:01 PM

Connor wasn't part of an experiment. The first one was super insane. Second one was more stable and meant to be a weapon. If they had decided to do a third they may be able to age him.

Also he was gotten out of the tube before fully being trained and likely grown. That is the thing he was taking out of the clone oven before he was done.

InternalParadox

InternalParadox

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 8:40 PM

Runningoutofnam, where did you get all the details about Beast Boy's abilities from? It makes a lot of sense, but if there were any scenes in the show that showed how a monkey bite + M'gann's blood = Garfield being able to shift into different animal forms (and I'm assuming only animal forms, and not human photocopying like M'gann), than I missed it. I know M'gann donated the blood that saved his life, and she was green at the time, but since she's not a green Martian I don't understand why he would stay green. I didn't notice a monkey biting him; although that does explain his monkey form and tail. I know I'm nitpicking. It doesn't have to make sense, but it should, dang it! :P

I wonder if the Young Justice team ever found out what really went down between M'gann and Psimon. Perhaps only Superboy knows, which might explain the break-up. I'm not sure we'll find out, though, because little plot details like that tend to get lost in a five year time skip! Not that I'm bitter or anything. ;)

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:45 PM

Megan said she had to alter her blood to be compatible with garfield's. Later on in the episode it shows that Garfield's eyes have changed color. Then he gets nipped by the monkey that climbed onto him.

Her blood mixing with his in it's altered form changed his dna. Note since she was shape shifted into a green martian it would make sense that he would be green. Megan didn't know if she could shapeshift her blood into a human one and she admits her shapeshifting isn't perfect. So the blood altered garfield hence why he calls her his blood sister. He has bits of her shapeshifting dna that was meant to pass off as a green martian.

It makes as much sense as his original origin story for the Doom Patrol.

GDex86

GDex86

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:28 AM

So is anyone else starting to think Megan is less an alien who's actually sorta sweet and more akin to Dexter as in she's a sociopath who gets away with things because she only targets bad people. This would be around what the 5th time she's mind raped someone in the show and from Conner's reaction it seems like this has happened enough for him to be worried about it. I can't tell if she's just been hardened by her time or if she is actually this horrible twisted thing that wears a personality of cute and cheerful like a suit of armor.

Edited by GDex86, May 10, 2012 @ 8:29 AM.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 9:28 AM

Well keep in mind her background. White Martians were an extreme minority and despised by the majority of Green Martians.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 4:36 AM

Two clips and several stills released for the next episode, "Alienated"

We finally get to see what's become of
Spoiler
and he's looking a bit haggard. We also get a glimpse of a "museum of heroes" inside a lab. I recognized
Spoiler

We also see
Spoiler
again at The Cave. Makes me wonder if he's developed his
Spoiler
and is leading or guiding another team.

Edited by magicdog, May 11, 2012 @ 4:38 AM.

Apathy

Apathy

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 3:42 PM

Just a few random thoughts on this episode:

It was cool seeing Bumblebee in action. Bibbo rules!

The Lobotomizer strikes again! The worst part about it is, no one besides Superboy seems to notice or care. I fear nothing will be done about M'gann's downward spiral until it's too late.

Speaking of downward spirals: Aqualad, NOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Like Aquaman, I refused to believe it until now. Of course, Kaldur's turn to the dark side is something I would have liked to have seen. At least we get more Black Manta out of it.

Naturally, the mentor/mentee team-ups were the best part! Loved the Bat-family, the Super and Aqua duos smashing shit up, and Wonder Girl fangirling over Diana's awesome moment before having one of her own. Too bad we apparently won't be getting any more team-ups like this for some time, with them in space and all.

Liked that Superman tried to save the Kroloteans, though common sense says he should've just left. Also had a bit of a fangasm when Superman called Conner "Kon-El."

About the previews for next week:
Spoiler

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 4:01 PM

Ah as I thought someone did pay Lobo to tip off the Earthlings as to the aliens. I don't think it is the Competitor though. For those who don't get the reference to the competitor warrior
Spoiler

Alkja

Alkja

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 4:45 PM

So, Tula got promoted to Aquagirl and fridged all offscreen during The Lost Years and that's the reason Kaldur turned to the Dark (or Light, in this case) Side. Just riveting.

M'Gann adds another notch to her lobotomy belt, right in front of her uncle and Batman, and no one says squat. Sure, why not?

Still no word on Wally and Artemis. Not like they were major characters or anything.

The Six Wayward Leaguers apparently spent those 16 hours rampaging through a planet. I'm shocked. I thought they'd had gone to a crochet lesson.
Also, apparently six people can rampage through a planet and the Green Lantern Corps is blissfully unaware of it even if one of those 6 is one of them. Well done, guys.

And now those 6 are going off world, just so we don't get our hopes up for an effective League or even mentor-apprentice scenes.

Only good thing about this episode was seeing the BatFamily kicking major ass all together and having Superman calling Superboy "Little Brother" (except that made me yearn for having witnessed the development of their relationship, instead of having it sacrificed to this idiotic and unnecessary timejump). Wonder Girl fangirl moment was cute too.

All in all, I think I'll give them 2-3 episodes more and either they get me engaged and start forking over some explanantion for WTF happened on those 5 years or I'm bowing out.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 4:54 PM

Spoiler

Does that men
Spoiler

Sorry guys, looks like the images and vid I posted was for the next ep not "Alienated". Either way, we'll finally get an update on what's been going on with
Spoiler

I have a hunch Aqualad maybe a double agent for the League or The Team. For a moment it looked as if he was going to chat with Nightwing about something when Superboy popped in. It seems too easy for him to go rogue just because Tula died on a mission and he learned his father was really Black Manta. I'm curous as to how Garth feels about all this.

Well, now the most of the League's heavy hitters will be in space, the Team will really have to step up their game. At least there are more members to take up the slack. Now, when will we find out about KF & Artemis??

When GL was creating a construct to take the Leaguers to Rimlar, I half expected him to create those bubbles Jon used to always make on the old DCAU. Then it suddenly morphed into a proper spaceship! Cool!!

It looks like Miss M might go rogue with all that mind wiping she's been doing lately.

I'm glad to see Superman has been treating Conner more like a brother and being a true mentor to him.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 5:45 PM

Yes it is possible he could turn corrupt due to that. It depends upon the backstory in this version of Young Justice.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 6:50 PM

This Week: Aqualad gets a personality! The personality of a dick!!!

Yeah, I understand what mourning a dead girlfriend (canon death: Crisis on Infinite Earths) can do to a guy. Also, withholding information on true parentage never does work. Did Aquaman never see Thor? Seriously, though, Aqualad turned into a dick . . . . and it's a bit of a shame, since the latest DC reboot hasn't brought in the second Aqualad (*koff*black*koffkoffkoff*) that was introduced during Brightest Day. Also, I understand why Lagoon Boy has been brought in, even though his only epithet is "Poseidon's beard!!!" C'mon, he's never seen Batman: The Brave & The Bold?

The Lobotomizer strikes again!

What's that about Lobo? Oh, you meant Megan. That should be spelled "L'obotomizer" from now on . . . or how about "M'gan M'ndrape"? She's still cute as a button, but the White Martian nastiness is leaking out, isn't it?

Have we heard Icon speak at all? Once again . . . I'd like to see his backstory, mostly to show others that he's not merely "Milestone Superman." Speaking of which . . . sucks that the timeskip cheated us out of brotherly bonding of the El boys, Kal & Kon.

Sonicsean34

Sonicsean34

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 9:03 PM

Yay more time skip shenanigans! the writers just thought 'hey we can make Aqualad go evil and not have to work for it and earn the change!' same with the Superman and Conner relationship. Com'on writers the term "character Development" means an actual prossess of development otherwise it wouldn't be an active verb! We need to see these things as really I cannot reconcile Aqualad's character between the two seasons at all.

Any hope that it would be a ruse so that he could spy for Nightwing just falls apart with the super nuke bomb and the mass slaughter it caused. No batfamily member would allow that in an operation (granted I've very limited knowledge of the comics, only read some since this show got me into the DC universe to a point of more than watching batman films. Only read Red Robin, some Batman & Robin (damian and Dick) and some teen titans, and some of Tim Drake's solo robin comic) and AL would know what his limits were.

Also stretching credulity is the 16 hours that apparently no-one cared enough about to find out what happend for half a decade until the direct lead to the answers just landed in their laps! The fact that it almost treated like a far more recent event irks me so hard. And gods teh 6 moreon leaguers just going to stand trial without any inidcation that it could ne fair no matter how many Green Lanterns go ahead of them is juts grrrr inducing. I am imagining every sham trial ever, it will be probably less legit than Avatar Day in Avatar: The Last Airbender

Simple. I say what happened [He point to himself, before pointing to Aang.], then you say what happened, and then I decide who's right. [Everyone gasps at once, horrified by this news.] That's why we call it justice. Because it's "just us."

Still was cool to see Bat family all together and SuperBoy and Man team work so the ep gets some good points but i am still evil glaring at the "brave" time skip for the narative damage its wraught on the show!

Edited by Sonicsean34, May 12, 2012 @ 9:09 PM.

equinoxx

equinoxx

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 11:39 PM

When GL was creating a construct to take the Leaguers to Rimlar

Rimbor. Which will be known in a thousand years, give or take, as the homeworld of Jo Nah (a/k/a Ultra Boy of the Legion of Super-Heroes).

Perfect Xero

Perfect Xero

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 3:08 AM

It was just odd that Martian Manhunter had no visible reaction to Miss Martian's "interrogation".

I agree in the thinking that Aqualad is actually on undercover assignment and Nightwing (and probably Batman) is the only one who knows.

It was nice to see a fairly true to the comics characterization of Superman in this episode after Season 1's Man of Ice.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 4:06 AM

It was just odd that Martian Manhunter had no visible reaction to Miss Martian's "interrogation".

Actually a number of people say he gave a concerned look. Well concerned for his face.

Megan looks more human after all and practices human emotions to blend in more.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 8:20 AM

M'Gann adds another notch to her lobotomy belt, right in front of her uncle and Batman, and no one says squat. Sure, why not?

Seems very unlikely that we won't come back to that scene at some point in the future. We know that SuperBoy knows what is going on, but he doesn't say anything because of his relationship with her. As for the other two, if I were going to put two other people in the room who would both absolutely notice what happened AND not have an immediate reaction, it would be those two.

Apathy

Apathy

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 12:27 AM

Everybody sing it with me now: Let's do the time jump AGAAAAAAIIIIIN!

But seriously, Greg and company plan on doing another time jump if we get a third season, and he won't say how long this one's gonna be.

*Exasperated sigh*

Until we find out, I'll be over here pouting.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 12:10 PM

Maybe it's because I've read too many long running comics and seen too many long running cartoons where characters don't age or change and the status quo is basically the same but I don't really mind this bit of news and Greg doing that.

Jon N

Jon N

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 12:20 PM

But seriously, Greg and company plan on doing another time jump if we get a third season, and he won't say how long this one's gonna be.

Then in that case, I'm praying we won't get a third season!!!

Alkja

Alkja

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 1:39 AM

Yeah, no.

I'm already halfhearted about this second season, this only tips me futher into "goodbye!" territory.

I watch shows primarily for the characters, a good work on characterization will make me forgive even a thin or improbable plot, so all this jumping around and sudden trasmutations of characters I loved doesn't enthuse me.

What's the point in coming to care for some characters when they suddely shift into different people and you're supposed to care for new guys come out of nowhere?

It may be beacuse I don't read much comics, so characters like Blue Beetle, Beast Boy, Wonder Girl etc. don't automatically mean something.
Of the original team the only one I had a prior emotional connection to was Robin, but I came to love everyone episode after episode, learning about them.

Now it seems the focus was shifted from character work to flashy plot and relying on people's knowledge of the characters from other canons to do the work of making us care about them and it's not going to work for me. For god's sake, I love Barbara Gordon's Batgirl to pieces but I cannot really care even about her when she's just dumped there all of a sudden "Look! Here's Batgirl! You last saw her as a normal schoolgirl and now she's an awesome heroine, ta-dah! Care about her!"

The idea of another similar situation in season 3 really doesn't do it for me. Especially since I don't understand the need for the current one: what was wrong with the original team that they couldn't go on with that one?

Edited by Alkja, May 17, 2012 @ 1:49 AM.

Sonicsean34

Sonicsean34

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 8:24 AM

A second time jump would be... concerning. I fear for how they would make shock twists with the characters and go "things have changed! But we don't have to work to develop them! lol" like Dick and Connor suddenly become drug addled rent boy's, M'gann is now the tyrant of Mars etc

Some of the stuff i loved last season was the light hearted team bonding (like the beach party games in an early ep) but stuff like that seems less likely in season 2 since 1) everybody has years of off screen bonding. 2) they are darker and edgier adults! and 3) the invasion doesn't allow for fun times.

I also agree with other posters about them just dumping a load of characters in our laps with no intros and expected us to care. It was my main problem last year with the villains, they would be like "OMG Its Sports Master" and never explain who he was, his history and backstory (besides being Artemis' Dad) but expecting you to care. It was the same for almost every villain to the point I was wondering if they should put "editors notes" in the corner for "to know more check out [..] comic!"

I really liked the recent ep because it focused on Dick, Aqua lad and Super boy a lot (plus the bat family on principle) and will be annoyed if Nightwing is missing again next week!

SilverShadow

SilverShadow

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 10:48 AM

Oddly enough the time skip, and the potential for a second one doesn't really bother me at all. I think it's a combination of two things.

1) I've seen all the other shows Greg's helmed and he's yet to dissapoint me. Particularily RE characterization of the main casts and building season long story-arcs. I suspect season 2 will largely be about 'getting the band back together' and we will see our originals bonding side by side again along with all the new guys.

2) Time Skips can be great for refreshing a story, introducing new cocnepts and characters etc. Dragonball Z/GT for example had a ton of them. Three years between Fortune Teller Baba and the second Martial arts tournament, three years from Demon King Piccolo to the second tournament, then five years after that to when Goku's married and has a four year old kid, several smaller skips that cover about two years storywise, another three years, seven years, and finally ten years for the very end of Z. And GT took place ten years after that.

Granted Dragonball isn't as character-based as Young Justice, but even so I have faith that the storytelling will catch us up on the significant events that happened off-screen. It's sort of like having a first book in a series, then having the second book start In medias res. You wouldn't assume the writer was never going to reveal what happened in-between the two books. The only difference is here, we can't skip ahead.

Edited by SilverShadow, May 18, 2012 @ 11:01 AM.

GDex86

GDex86

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 11:18 AM

This week on Intervention. Meeep Moop. Sure sure sure Red Arrow is probably on Crack, stealing from those he helps, and is so emaciated Karl Largifeld thinks he's maybe just a little chubby. But the big news, WE KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO WALLY AND ARTEMIS. They quit heroing so they can go to college and boink. Never before have I seen on cartoon network outside of adult swim such obvious notes that after we fade to black two characters are going to make the beast with two backs, but her walking out in just a T-shirt was pretty damn overt. I really want to know what they had to put in that was so much worse that it got through. On the other hand this show did get the line "I feel naked and not in a fun way," on air.

I have always liked Jaime. I liked him in his first comic series, his second comic series, and in Brave and Bold. So I'm not surprised that I like him here. He's smart and everyone thinks he's crazy just because he talks back to the voice in his head. He seems like he's the lest liked member of the team, which I kinda get. Everyone else on it has a direct mentor in the JL or the team. It just sorta all adds up to make him the woobie for the team.

Edited by GDex86, May 19, 2012 @ 12:01 PM.

Apathy

Apathy

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 1:26 PM

I knew Roy was high off his ass! Worse than I thought, too. When they cut to that alley towards the end, I was expecting to see Red Arrow with a dealer or shooting up, but I doubt even this show would be able to get away with that. Then again, this show gets away with A LOT.

But the big news, WE KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO WALLY AND ARTEMIS. They quit heroing so they can go to college and boink. Never before have I seen on cartoon network outside of adult swim such obvious notes that after we fade to black two characters are going to make the beast with two backs, but her walking out in just a T-shirt was pretty damn overt.

I assumed that was a nightgown or something, but you're probably right. :O

I actually wasn't surprised to see they're both alive and together, but that's because I got a peak at a spoiler about it. Hopefully they get back in the game within the next few episodes, I'd hate it if Artemis wasn't a badass anymore.

I have always liked Jaime. I liked him in his first comic series, his second comic series, and in Brave and Bold. So I'm not surprised that I like him here. He's smart and everyone thinks he's crazy just because he talks back to the voice in his head. He seems like he's the lest liked member of the team, which I kinda get.

I like Jaime a lot too, but I don't think he's the least liked member of the team. They think he's weird, sure, but the honor of least favorite team member would most likely go to Lagoon Boy. So far Kon and Garfield seem to find him annoying, and his sickingly sweet relationship with M'gann probably isn't helping. Blue Beetle still needs more respect, and I sense a bromance between him and Superboy. <3

Sportsmaster's back!

When the Intergang monster was talking about "ending the pain" Conner said, "I can relate." Was that supposed to be a hint that he contemplated suicide at one point? This show is getting dark, you guys.

And when he and Jaime came back to find "Ugly" Manheim and Whisper turned to vegetables, did anyone else initially think it was M'gann M'ndrape's dirty work? (Thanks, Lantern7!) Conner was probably thinking it too.

Lian. Harper. OH MY GOD.

I liked this episode, though a lot of it was exposition, exposition, exposition.

Edited by Apathy, May 19, 2012 @ 1:32 PM.

mr.simpatico

mr.simpatico

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 1:57 PM

Everyone else on it has a direct mentor in the JL or the team. It just sorta all adds up to make him the woobie for the team.

I like Jamie a lot too (one of the few "new" DC characters that I think have been a big success). Just like with the new DC comics reboot I was hoping Ted Kord would be alive this time to be Jamie's mentor. Ted never could get the scarab to work (like Jamie) does and he was a super-genius who did not take himself seriously (he was Booster Gold's BFF after all). It would have made an interesting dynamic and given Jamie someone who could understand why he was so "weird".

I was surprised they were so explicit (in a way) with Artemis/Wally's relationship (it is a Saturday Morning cartoon) yet conversely its a bit weird that Cheshire/CloneRoy have to have been married in order to have a child (Lian! And for that alone the YJ team has made up for the ill-advised time skip).

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 2:34 PM

I'd understand if any viewers of Mexican heritage are steamed today, what with Jaime being a bit of a putz and Vibe getting two minutes over on DC Nation. I know Jaime's deal: blue scarab with a nasty attitude and a voice that only he can hear. I think it's supposed to be alien, but I'm guessing that the writers don't want to jam in The Reach on top of everything else, especially if people are wondering how Snapper Carr and the bulk of his class (or at least Bumblebee and Mal) are now working with the JLA.

Are there any fans as old as me that remember the episode of Challenge of the Super Friends where Green Lantern turned on a defensive force field around Earth to protect it from a rogue solar flare, only it spread over the field and killed everybody on the planet? That is my concern about the anti-Zeta shields. On the bright side: no goofy little aliens whose name I can't spell.

Nice job bringing the Appallaxian aliens (or their husks) to the party. That's some primo canon that nobody can ruin. Well . .. not if you're Geoff Johns and/or Jim Lee. *sigh*

Can't believe Lian Harper made her televised debut. Also can't believe we saw Artemis in what appeared to be Wally's shirt and little else. I wonder how many times she has to visit a doctor for friction burns. Also, it occurs to me that with Artemis chilling with Wally, "Speedy" baked out of his gourd and Roy assumed KIA, there's an archer gap in this world. Anybody else hoping for Arrowette?

Edited by Lantern7, May 19, 2012 @ 2:35 PM.