Young Justice

• Please log in to reply

1227 replies to this topic

Apathy

Apathy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 4:26 PM

Oh, Red Arrow, don't you know that when someone says there's no mole, then there is most DEFINITELY a mole? I mean, I'm glad he's trusting the team now, but it might all come undone next week--unless he is the mole. Dun Dun DUN!!!

And whoever said that Conner would become dependent on those shields was right on target. Someone needs to tell Superboy that drugs are bad, m'kay? He might hurt someone on the team if he keeps it up.

Loved Robin and Wally's bromance moment. Heterosexual Life Partners forever!

Anyone else catch Clancy Brown as Detective Faraday?

Also liked Robin snapping "Do you have something better to do?" when Superboy was complaining, especially since Batman said the same thing in Schooled. Robin also told Gar to "stay put" in Image the same way Batman said it in the pilot. Dick's more like Bruce than he realizes.

The scene with Dick and Jack Haly at the end was very touching.

That's all I've got for now.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 4:48 PM

Anyone else catch Clancy Brown as Detective Faraday?

How could you not? He was using his Lex Luthor voice on a character that clearly wasn't him. It made me sad, yet happy that Clancy Brown is in this.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 7:24 PM

I'm glad he's trusting the team now, but it might all come undone next week--unless he is the mole.

I don't see Red Arrow as the mole since he just joined the team.

How could you not? He was using his Lex Luthor voice on a character that clearly wasn't him. It made me sad, yet happy that Clancy Brown is in this.

For realz. I recognized Clancy right away, as did who he was playing by that hairstyle. I really wish they'd used him to play Luthor.

Yup, Connor's on his way to becoming an addict. Maybe then we'll get to see more of Supes? as contrived as that storyline might be? It irks me that he's hardly on this show.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 8:02 PM

That is what the Light wants you to think :)

Hotspur

Hotspur

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 3:31 PM

What is annoying to me that despite endless romance they are trying to push down the readers, the bromance between Kid Flash and Robin is far superior and much more moving.

From Failsafe where the two had that nod before the suicide mission, to them calling each other best pal, the subtlety and respect they write friendship is amazing. But the romance is so cheesy and boring.

Good episode, they are getting better.

SideshowJed

SideshowJed

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 4:39 PM

Cadmus has cloning facilities and a suspiciously similar DNA donor. Who says that's the real Red Arrow?

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 4:49 PM

Good episode, though there should've been a scene where Batman popped up and told Mr. Haley what would happen if he told people that Dick was Robin.

Did not think that the Bad Guy Of The Week would be Parasite, even with the obvious clues. It did lead into the cutest moment . . . Megan wondering who would've guessed that Martians could get human diseases, and Robin deadpanning, "H.G. Wells." Also cool that Roy got some of the stick out of his ass, though he'd probably stick it right back up there if he knew Superboy was on the Superpatch. I'm betting the first one to get hurt by his power abuse will be Wolf.

As for Clancy Brown? I think yesterday set a record . . . he was on this show, GL:TAS, and a new episode of Transformers Prime, all in one day!

suntzu

suntzu

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 7:03 PM

...there should've been a scene where Batman popped up and told Mr. Haley what would happen if he told people that Dick was Robin.

Mr. Haley strikes me as a stand-up guy. He won't tell on Robin. BTW, I was a bit surprised that this was Dick Grayson!Robin, not Tim Drake!Robin or a "player-to-be-named-later"!Robin. O.K., so I didn't check Wikipedia, so sue me! ;)

BTW, my money is on Artemis as the mole/possible double-agent (really working for the good guys to uncover the bad guys).

Edited by suntzu, Apr 8, 2012 @ 7:04 PM.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 7:24 PM

I was a bit surprised that this was Dick Grayson!Robin, not Tim Drake!Robin or a "player-to-be-named-later"!Robin

Young Justice takes place in a different universe. FYI word is the toyline got cancelled and due to how cartoon network values merchandising toy lines as to wheter or not a show continues Young Justice may get the axe.

Blixx

Blixx

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 7:57 PM

They better not cancel YJ, it's one of the better shows on CN, compared to crap like Gumball and Clone Wars blech!

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 6:40 AM

I was a bit surprised that this was Dick Grayson!

Well, we pretty much knew it was Dick, when Artemis started school in Gotham and he introduced himself as Dick; plus we got to see Barbara Gordon in the same school. And what with Wally being Kid Flash, that pretty much told me that it was Dick and not Tim.

And since Dick pretty much grew up in the circus before his parents were murdered, I doubt if Haley would have said anything to anyone about who Dick was. The circus was his family.

GDex86

GDex86

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:01 AM

FYI word is the toyline got cancelled and due to how cartoon network values merchandising toy lines as to wheter or not a show continues Young Justice may get the axe.

(Boring)I wouldn't get too worried about that being a harbinger of the end of YJ. Full on merchandise driven toy lines outside of the fad toys (Bayblades, Bakugan, or whatever comes out next) hasn't been happening since the the late 90's early 2000's especially due to the death of Saturday morning and after school cartoons blocks, and the switch from toys being in a specialty store (KB's or Toys R Us) to more big box stores like a Wal-Mart or a Target where there is much less footage for merchandise. It's probably more that they couldn't get the toys in enough of the big box stores to be worth production which has more to do with how much money Disney drops to make sure Avenger Toys gets in every store for the movie.

At this point I would be more worried about how YJ's demographics are skewing. Cartoon Network when it sells ad time sells them to people who think they will be selling stuff to kids. So even if YJ is doing well in the ratings but it's skewing too much into the 18 to 30 year old male market it does nothing for Cartoon Network or it's advertisers. That's why JLU got canceled. It had good ratings just not ratings CN could really sell. It does have the advantage of CN being in the Time Warner Umbrella so that A) it's a way for Time Warner/DC to keep it's brand in the market view and B) Not having to really pay to license it.{/boring)

On the actual episode. With Wally and Dick being Heterosexual Life Partners, it does sorta throw things up in the air. I know Robin is the longest serving side kick, but the fact that apparently Red Arrow doesn't know that much about this life makes me wonder exactly how long he has been sidekicking. Did Red Arrow not really hang out with the other sidekicks because of the age difference or has he always had that stick with the point part stuck up his butt and that's why he, Dick and Wally didn't hang out. Also nice to know apparently Dick and Radical Edward use the same GUI for hacking.

While it was nice to see Red Arrow to not be so damn angry, but it didn't read like he was trusting the team more, but more like someone just changed his medication and now has over done it with the uppers. It just doesn't make sense in character for him to turn around that fast.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:38 AM

. I know Robin is the longest serving side kick, but the fact that apparently Red Arrow doesn't know that much about this life makes me wonder exactly how long he has been sidekicking. Did Red Arrow not really hang out with the other sidekicks because of the age difference or has he always had that stick with the point part stuck up his butt and that's why he, Dick and Wally didn't hang out

Red Arrow did hang with the other sidekicks, at the very least fought side by side with them on various missions. Even KF mentioned him as a friend with whom he Aqualad and Robin have "history". However, Robin didn't tell everyone about his past.

Batman has also been instrumental in keeping even fellow sidekicks in the dark about Robin's/Dick's identity since Bruce Wayne is suich as well known public figure it wouldn't be hard to make the connection if Dick Grayson's identity was compromised. Notice that even when out of costume around The Team, Robin wears dark glasses. Greg Weisman did mention that due to their close friendship, Dick did tell Wally who he really was. So far he's the only other person besides Bruce who knows that.

Canon has it that Roy (Red Arrow) was GA's sidekick since he was about 14-15. Though he's older than Robin, (the character is 18 in YJ) he has less experience in crimefighting.

Edited by magicdog, Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:40 AM.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 11:07 AM

I wouldn't get too worried about that being a harbinger of the end of YJ.

Cartoon got rid of Symbiotic Titan because there was no toyline for it. A toyline ending for YJ due to bad sales of the toys could mean an end to the show.

stekkin

stekkin

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 5:06 PM

It's the American way; the show that dies with--I mean, sells the most toys wins! ;)

Apathy

Apathy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 5:57 PM

At least there's still DVD and tie-in comic sales, right?

stekkin

stekkin

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 10:26 AM

Roy was the mole...didn't see that one coming. But Vandal Savage as the real Big Bad was awesome! I just hope Batman has has a backup plan. He's always got a backup plan, right? RIGHT??? Oh, crap...

Edited by stekkin, Apr 14, 2012 @ 2:06 PM.

Apathy

Apathy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 11:47 AM

Roy was the mole.

Three words: I KNEW IT!!!

GDex86

GDex86

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 1:29 PM

I think I would have liked it more if Roy was an actual mole rather then just mind wammied into being one. But I am disappointed in Batman. He didn't have his cowl specially prepared to keep out biotech mind control.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 6:27 PM

That ending was just so stupid, not to mention it made no bloody sense.

I think I could probably accept that yeah, Red Arrow was the one who "doth protest too much" had he already been on the team with the others or, rather, inducted into the Justice League from the beginning.

I'm finding it difficult to believe that he's the mole, since, supposedly, he was sick and tired of being a side kick and wanted to be with the adults; he wasn't working with any of them, so how could he be privy to everything that was going on?

Does Weisman expect me to believe his version of the Justice League are that stupid?

But if he had been with them all this time, I would have preferred him not being mind whammied into it, since he was already bitter about not being able to play with the big boys.

I so much prefer Bruce Timm's take on not only Superman, Batman, but also the Justice League.

And it's not that I don't like Weisman. I loved The Gargoyles. Well, except for the Goliath Chronicles.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 10:37 PM

First he wasn't an active mole. Notice the part at the end where he wakes up that he was a mole? He was under suggestive mind control where he isn't consciousnesly a mole.

Also there will be another little surprise for you.

he wasn't working with any of them, so how could he be privy to everything that was going on

Uh he knew that Cheshire was going to try to assassinate Lex Luther at the peace talks between the South and North Vietnamese analogy countries. He was being fed info by the light but didn't know it. He was a part of their plans and being in the Watchtower at the start wouldn't have helped.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 11:22 PM

Would the surprise be that Roy is
Spoiler
? That's the only thing I could think up.

Great episode, in the sense that team members actually opened up about their secrets. I wonder how far they would've gone.

Superboy: I've been given glorified steroids by my father. Co-father.

Artemis: I come from a family of assholes.

Megan: This is what I really look like. (shifting to White Martian form)

Artemis: Another secret? I just pissed myself.

Superboy: Now that we got those monkeys off our backs . . .

Robin: I shoplift. Like, a lot. I don't need to shoplift . . . I can get anything I want in my other identity, but it gives me a rush.

Aqualad: I inject myself with the poison of a rare puffer fish. It gives me a semblance of a personality . . . a boring person.

Kid Flash: I huff glue and paint fumes. I don't know how it works, I don't see how my metabolism doesn't burn though those, but it actually works on me.

Zatanna: I'm high right now. Really high. You know how easy it is to make it with magic? All you need are the ingredients, a printout from Wikipedia, and the ability to say words backwards. Those guys from Breaking Bad make it look so hard!!

[everybody looks at Rocket]

Rocket: Okay! I'm drunk now!! Damn, I'm such a rookie compared to you guys!!!

Seriously, though, awesome for the team to pwn the Society and get love from Batman in the process. I'm hoping that Icon gets backstory to show that he's not just another homage of Superman. Also . . . is there a rule that Atom can't wear his suit while he's normal-size?

Edited by Lantern7, Apr 14, 2012 @ 11:29 PM.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 11:43 PM

Would the surprise be that Roy is one of Vandal Savage's many, many, many descendants?

Since the episodes aired elsewhere first the surprise about Red Arrow is
Spoiler

I have no clue as to why they scheduled the show like they did. It makes a lot of people confused as to when not only it airs but if there are new episodes.

Cartoon Network also didn't air the last four episodes of generator rex.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 12:17 AM

Using Starro isn't really a satisfying twist to me. Sure it used little neck tentacles instead of face-sucker things, but it was Starro. Bo. ring.

Edited by WileyCoyote, Apr 15, 2012 @ 12:18 AM.

InternalParadox

InternalParadox

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 5:00 PM

Icon and Raquel/Rocket join the show (literally)! :)
Lantern7, you crack me up. But Rocket has the potential for way more closet skeletons than simply being a boozehound.

How about this: "I starred in an episode of "16 and Pregnant." What? MTV offered me a lot of money for it! And now I can afford to send Amistad Augustus to daycare while I finish high school and do the superhero side-kick thing."

Okay, I'm pretty sure TPTB will retcon Raquel's comic backstory. Wonder what they'll give her instead?

I was browsing in a comic shop last week, and I came across a couple of Young Justice issues in which everyone shares his or her backstory (except Robin. The reader gets his flashback while he's lost in thought). Miss Martian specifically mentions that her parents were Green Martians, and that her family was "more liberal" about the Green vs. White vs. Red Martian thing. That, along with her line this episode that she grew up as a "White Martian among Green Martians," gives me the impression that she was adopted and raised by a Green family.

Now to the meaty plot stuff: I agree with the sentiment that if Roy was to be the mole, he should've been a real mole rather than an unknowing brain-washed one. The brain washing is such a cop-out. But otherwise it was a fun twist I wasn't expecting, and everyone else divulged their secrets to the team in this ep, which was great (I was surprised M'gann actually showed her true form to everyone. I was worried that she'd back out, as her home culture really made that admission difficult for her).

I'm not familiar with Vandal Savage, but he's supposed to be a great tactician, right? That's in Xanatos territory, and I trust Weisman to make the last episode of season 1 awesome! Here's to next week!

(Runningoutofnam, where did the episodes air already? It's very frustrating when CN mixes up its airing schedule like that!)

Edited by InternalParadox, Apr 15, 2012 @ 9:27 PM.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 6:31 PM

where did the episodes air already?

The eps I saw were dubbed into Portugese, so I'm guessing they aired in Brazil and Portugal.

stekkin

stekkin

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 7:24 PM

InternalParadox, Vandal Savage is, quite simply, immortal and unkillable (and doesn't need a periodic recharge, like Ra's al Ghul). He's a Cro-Magnon (not Homo Sapiens), and has tried to TAKE OVER THE WORLD! more than a few times. SEE: "The Savage Time", from "Justice League" Season 1, "Maid of Honor" (Season 2) and also "Justice League: DOOM". However, he had a Crowning Moment of Heartwarming* in "Hereafter" (JL-S2), so I guess he's not all bad. :D

*"JL" did a lot of "CMoH" endings, as I recall.

Edited by stekkin, Apr 16, 2012 @ 10:44 PM.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 7:36 PM

Vandal Savage is supposed to have been most of history's tyrants but his history is contradictory. He has been shown in the animated series Justice League such as when he went back in time and put Adolf Hitler on ice. In other words cryonic suspension and was responsible for the Nazis having fantastic weaponry based on future tech. This time travel episode also showed the old Black Hawk group who were a group of daredevil pilots. The time travel stuff was shown in a episode of Justice League Unlimited when a group of villain got some of the old Nazi stuff such as a War Wheel from the Black Hawk.

He is indeed immortal however he does have a foe who gets reborn every generation tries to stop him. Vandal Savage is supposed to have committed the first murder of a human.

GDex86

GDex86

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 8:03 AM

So while thinking about Roy and him being the mole I think I had a full on fridge moment. Massive speculation:

Of course Roy is the mole and they gave us all the pieces to figure it out from the pilot. When the Trio was captured Cadamus was going to clone them replace them with the clones with their memories and send them back to their mentor to act as a mole. Now the trio after escaping probably told the league this and it would make it hard to replace. Speedy wouldn't be. He had just broken ties with Arrow, was now trying to be a solo hero, plus his uncle works at Cadamus. Poor Guardian has probably had his brain washed so many times that every thought he thinks comes with a hanger and that protective plastic coating.

Guardian invites Speedy down to investigate something he gets captured and cloned who now calls himself Red Arrow and starts to try to be a hero all while getting info from the League about things because he seems to still have access and the team because they were sorta friends. Then once he's part of the league itself all they have to do is get him to have a Red Sun moment and bam mole.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Apr 16, 2012 @ 3:20 PM.
Unnecessary spoiler bars

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 10:03 AM

GDex86, from what I recall of the spoilers of the episodes that aired outside of the US I read,
Spoiler

Edited by TWoP Howard, Apr 16, 2012 @ 3:21 PM.
Added spoiler bars