Young Justice

• Please log in to reply

1227 replies to this topic

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2010 @ 12:37 AM

The series Young Justice has officially been announced as part of the 2010-2011 lineup by Cartoon Network. The characters part of the team are Artemis, Robin, Kid Flash, Superboy, Miss Martian and Aqualad. Wonder Girl is missing and Aqualad as not only been added but is black this time around.

I'm looking forward to it. I love Robin, and I can't wait to see another show with him. He's right up there on my list with the Batmen (Bruce and Terry) and Nightwing. Judging by the fact that all the members seemed to have been picked because they have well recognized adult hero counterparts, this show probably won't be like Teen Titans where the adult superheroes were never mentioned and the Titans seemed to live in a vacuum of adolescence heroes (without civilian identities on top of that). Hopefully the mentors of these 6 (Green Arrow, Batman, The Flash, Superman, J'onn J'onzz, and Aquaman) will play a part.

I just hope the inclusion of Aqualad won't bring down the show and they find a way around how useless his powers can be.

Young Justice - In Young Justice, being a teenager means proving yourself over and over—to peers, parents, teachers, mentors and, ultimately, to yourself. But what if you’re not just a normal teenager? What if you’re a teenage super hero? Are you ready to join the ranks of the great heroes and prove you’re worthy of the Justice League? That’s exactly what the members of Young Justice — Robin, Aqualad, Kid Flash, Superboy, Miss Martian and Artemis—will find out, whether they have what it takes to be a proven hero. This all-new series is produced by Warner Bros. Animation and based upon characters from DC Comics.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2010 @ 1:27 AM

I'm looking forward to seeing the clone Superboy animated. He was one of my favorite character to come out of the whole death and rebirth of Superman story. I'll miss Wonder Girl.

The Mad Maple

The Mad Maple

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2010 @ 3:43 AM

Y'know, there actually was a Young Justice comic, so it's not just a Teen Titans knockoff. Just for the record.

I was a casual reader of the comic, but I sorta liked it. I'm actually kinda looking forward to this show. (You know, two or three years from now, when Teletoon finally gets around to airing it.....)

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2010 @ 10:49 AM

I know it was a comic written by Peter David. I hope they have him on board. He's already written episodes of Ben 10.

Twilight Man

Twilight Man

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2010 @ 11:35 AM

This Robin is probably going to be Tim Drake, as he was the Robin who was working with Superboy and Kid Flash as part of the current Teen Titans group (and former Young Justice group).

there actually was a Young Justice comic, so it's not just a Teen Titans knockoff

A lot of people still argue that the Young Justice comic was a "knock-off" of the Teen Titans comic (especially back in its early incarnation, when they were fighting Mad Mod and Ding Dong Daddy).
It didn't help matters when Robin, Superboy, and "Kid Flash" would eventually reform together as a new (new) Teen Titans group.
This team does resembles more of the new (new) Teen Titans group of today, with Bart being Kid Flash (not Impulse) and Miss Martian on the team (whose perkiness replaced that of Secret).
But we've already used "Teen Titans" as a cartoon title, starring a previous Robin, so........

I'll miss Wonder Girl.

Wonder Girl probably didn't make the cut, again, due to legal issues.
(A close up on a TV screen, that's the best you can do???)
"Artemis" is probably going to be a hybrid of both Wonder Girl and Arrowette, although she probably will also act somewhat like the actual adult Artemis from the comics.
As for "Black Aqualad", well............that's what happens when Hollywood gets their hands on a product.

I hope that this team will interact with the adult heroes, (on a one by one basis).
I can understand the continuality problem (not to mention the legal problem) that "Teen Titans" had with "Justice League".
But now that both those cartoons are no more, Young Justice should have no problems (I hope).

Here's hoping that this cartoon will be slightly more serious than "Teen Titans" was as well.
It will probably be as serious as "LOSH" was.

Once again, I just hope that there are not going to be too many legal problems that will keep us from enjoying this cartoon the same way that we view the comic.

Edited by Twilight Man, Apr 24, 2010 @ 11:48 AM.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2010 @ 1:44 PM

I'm really hoping this works, because I was a huge YJ fan. I know that it's not going to be as goofy as the comic was, and I should forget looking for MST3K Easter eggs like Todd Nauck would put into the book. I'm also wondering why Arrowette got reincarnated as Artemis. Is the gag that this is the canon Artemis, the daughter of villain couple Tigress and Sportsmaster? Because I liked Arrowette/Cissie, even after she stopped being a hero.

Anybody else hoping Kid Flash is as spazzy as Impulse? Those were some good times back then.

Dei

Dei

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 24, 2010 @ 3:48 PM

As one of those crotchety people who are eternally pissed off at Teen Titans (comic, not cartoon) for what it did to the characters it took from Young Justice I'm not happy to see Bart as Kid Flash and Kon in his Titans not-costume, but I'll try to keep an open mind when it airs.

Domina Nocturna

Domina Nocturna

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2010 @ 8:27 PM

Ok, $32,000 question:

Is this essentially intended to be the Titans intro into the DC Animated Canon aka the Diniverse? The animation style seems to indicate such.

Mind you, I liked the goofy anime-esque Teen Titans, but I was cheesed by the fact that it was, in essence, an AU fanfic in relation to the rest of the DCAU.

undecideable

undecideable

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 24, 2010 @ 10:34 PM

A lot of people still argue that the Young Justice comic was a "knock-off" of the Teen Titans comic (especially back in its early incarnation, when they were fighting Mad Mod and Ding Dong Daddy).

I have never, ever heard that argument before.

And, in a way it's not wrong. Young Justice was created to fill the void left by the increasingly incestuous Titans comics and the failure of Teen Titans (vol. 2). They wanted a place for the young heroes to meet that would be accesible for younger readers.

And it became a bloody awesome comic, so I have high hopes for this.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2010 @ 6:46 AM

Ok, $32,000 question:

Is this essentially intended to be the Titans intro into the DC Animated Canon aka the Diniverse? The animation style seems to indicate such.

Mind you, I liked the goofy anime-esque Teen Titans, but I was cheesed by the fact that it was, in essence, an AU fanfic in relation to the rest of the DCAU.

I highly doubt this will be in continuity with the DCAU. The events of Return of the Joker alone just wouldn't jive with this Robin being Tim.

The DCAU ship has sailed and it was fantastic while it lasted.

Edited by Tableau, Apr 25, 2010 @ 7:59 AM.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Apr 25, 2010 @ 2:21 PM

As one of those crotchety people who are eternally pissed off at Teen Titans (comic, not cartoon) for what it did to the characters it took from Young Justice I'm not happy to see Bart as Kid Flash and Kon in his Titans not-costume, but I'll try to keep an open mind when it airs.

Me too. I really hope they don't make Superboy a clone hybrid of Superman and Lex Luthor. That was just wrong on a lot of levels. Geoff Johns can go eff himself.

Paul O Regan

Paul O Regan

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2010 @ 3:19 PM

I know it was a comic written by Peter David. I hope they have him on board. He's already written episodes of Ben 10.

He's already said on his blog that he's not involved. He found out the same time as everyone else.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 8:21 PM

First bit of news. Looks like Star Trek's Marina Sirtis will be voicing a (if not the main) villain.

link

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2010 @ 5:01 PM

Queen Bee? That's somewhat obscure, at least in terms of a primary villain . . . and people might be expecting HIVE to show up. On the bright side: remember Demona? Yeah, Marina was good back in the day, wasn't she?

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2010 @ 6:58 PM

Who was the main villain for Young Justice? Who was their Slade?

Marq DeCarabas

Marq DeCarabas

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2010 @ 8:50 PM

I don't think there was one. They do run across Darkseid a few times though.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2010 @ 10:28 PM

Darkseid seems too big league. I'd hate to see him get beaten by a bunch of teenagers.

TheNarrator

TheNarrator

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2010 @ 11:26 PM

As I recall, they never took on Darkseid directly. He tried to manipulate and corrupt a member of the team, behind the scenes.

Young Justice didn't have any one single villain who stood out as an archnemesis. They fought a variety of villains and/or secret organizations, as well as dealing with obstructions from older heroes and government agents. I don't remember them ever tangling with anyone called "Queen Bee," however.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2010 @ 11:31 PM

Don't forget the Kali-inspired Hugga-Tugga-Thuggies. That was the one where Impulse got hit on the head so hard, he thought he was Batman. And that peaked when he combed his hair like bat ears. Good times.

lrdmordain

lrdmordain

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2010 @ 12:32 AM

I'd have to say Harm was their best villain, however given that he is eventually revealed to be Secret's brother I highly doubt he will likely be seen in the animated series.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2010 @ 3:31 AM

As I recall, they never took on Darkseid directly. He tried to manipulate and corrupt a member of the team, behind the scenes.

That sounds interesting. I hope they include that arc in the series.

Don't forget the Kali-inspired Hugga-Tugga-Thuggies. That was the one where Impulse got hit on the head so hard, he thought he was Batman. And that peaked when he combed his hair like bat ears. Good times.

Haha, I may want this series to be more in the vein of DCAU in serious tone but moments like the above would be welcome. They are still kids after all. :)

Over all my feeling is that Teen Titans and Young Justice are going to switched. Where Teen Titans was dead serious in the comic, the animated series was silly. Where Young Justice was silly in the comics it will be a more serous show.

TheNarrator

TheNarrator

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2010 @ 10:03 AM

That sounds interesting. I hope they include that arc in the series.

Unfortunately, the team member in question doesn't seem to be included in the TV series' team line-up, so that seems doubtful.

Is anybody else a little annoyed that none of the female members of Young Justice from the comics are making it into the series? No Wonder Girl, no Secret, no Empress. Possibly Artemis is Arrowette with a different name, but if so I'm not quite sure why they felt the need to change it (especially since there's already a DCU/DCAU character named Artemis). And while I don't have anything against Miss Martian, she was never in Young Justice, so I'm not quite sure why she was picked.

Where Teen Titans was dead serious in the comic, the animated series was silly.

The extra helping of irony there is that DC relaunched the Teen Titans comic with a line-up drawing heavily from that of the animated version in a deliberate attempted to cash in... but the relaunched Teen Titans comic was so loaded with violence, angst and shock deaths that it would have traumatized anyone in the target demographic of the animated series.

Where Young Justice was silly in the comics it will be a more serous show.

The Young Justice comic had plenty of serious moments as well, but it also had a good sense of humor and a certain tongue-in-cheek attitude regarding the world of superheroes. One of the reasons that people liked it was that it was fun, which superhero comics rarely are anymore. (It also had a interesting cast of characters who were not constantly dropping dead or turning evil for cheap shock value, being written consistantly in-character... which is another rare thing for DC Comics these days.)

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2010 @ 8:51 PM

And while I don't have anything against Miss Martian, she was never in Young Justice, so I'm not quite sure why she was picked.

I can make an educated guess. With the inclusion of Aqualad and Kid Flash (instead of Impulse) I think they're trying to go for a more familiar mini-Justice League feel for people like me who watch the cartoons but don't read the comics. Miss Martian fits that since she's obviously the female counter part to J'onn J'onzz, a very recognizable JL show character. These easy links between the YJ group and the JL group are, in theory, I think going to make it easier to get the show off the ground; attracting people who liked JL/JLU. Personally, all you have to do is include Robin and I'm there. :)

They probably would have included Wonder Girl if they could have but I've heard the rights for Wonder Woman these days are a pain to get.

Since the team only has 6 members as apposed to JL's 7, I think it's suppose to give the show room to grow. If Secret is as important a member as you describe her, I wouldn't be surprised if she (or at least another hero) was introduced some where in the first season to maybe become a full time member later. Or if the rights for Wonder Woman clear up they may include Wonder Girl later, who knows? But for me, I'm looking at this show optimistically and can't wait to see it.

Edited by Tableau, May 23, 2010 @ 7:42 PM.

Ravenwing263

Ravenwing263

Video Archivist

Posted May 23, 2010 @ 10:24 AM

There was this kid called Harm, he was the closest they had. Instead of the tradition of teen heroes fighting adult villians/corrupt authority figures, Harm was a "bad seed" the same age as his advesaries. He ended up being killed by his father - who understood what he was - in a decidedly not silly moment.

Is anybody else a little annoyed that none of the female members of Young Justice from the comics are making it into the series? No Wonder Girl, no Secret, no Empress. Possibly Artemis is Arrowette with a different name, but if so I'm not quite sure why they felt the need to change it (especially since there's already a DCU/DCAU character named Artemis). And while I don't have anything against Miss Martian, she was never in Young Justice, so I'm not quite sure why she was picked.

Artemis isn't Arrowette because Arrowette is, and had always been, a really stupid name. When she first appeared in Impulse, she was largely a joke character; no one expected anybody to run with her the way Peter David did in Young Justice. But that girl looks a heck of a lot like Cissie, so I'm expecting her to be similar. God knows she won't be getting Mia's backstory!

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted May 23, 2010 @ 11:07 AM

I still think Arrowette/Cissie isn't Artemis, and that this is Artemis.

Ravenwing263

Ravenwing263

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 2, 2010 @ 5:44 AM

Well, that's not happening, in the sense that if she is Tigress, is any way, she would have to be altered into an entirely different character.

Tigress is really quite evil.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2010 @ 12:33 AM

Looks like DC is introducing this Aqualad into the DCU before Young Justice airs.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2010 @ 5:26 PM

At the same time, as previously announced, the YOUNG JUSTICE cartoon series is just around the corner featuring Robin, Kid Flash, Superboy, Miss Martian, Artemis and the all-new Aqualad who will be appearing very briefly in BRIGHTEST DAY #4, but really comes into his own in BRIGHTEST DAY #10 before hitting the small screen this fall.

When we first meet Aqualad in BRIGHTEST DAY he’s Jackson Hyde. An average student, with an on-and-off girlfriend, that’s pretty bored in New Mexico.

Since he was young, he’s been taught by his parents to fear water…they don’t want him near it because his true parents would be able to locate him. Not to mention certain changes happen to Jackson when he gets in the water.

Jackson has kept this secret hidden for years, lying to his girlfriend about being afraid of drowning, being unable to swim and being in the dark about the mysterious tattoos he’s had since birth. He’s done his best to avoid it. But soon something’s going to force him out into the open and dive into the water.

Obviously, this all ties into the larger Aquaman and Mera story within BRIGHTEST DAY, but Jackson’s adventures will also be seen in the YOUNG JUSTICE animated series this fall along with more DC characters than you could imagine.

Source

Wow that part I bolded sounds like they may be doing the show more like JLU. I really hope so!

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jul 11, 2010 @ 1:19 AM

While torturing myself reading the schedule for Comic-Con International this year, I found out that the YJ trailer will debut on Friday at the panel for Batman: The Brave And The Bold. Just something to look forward to if you're going to San Diego in a week or two.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2010 @ 9:33 PM

I hope someone brings a camera!