RuPaul's Drag U

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

700 replies to this topic

Nena

Nena

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2010 @ 6:06 PM

It looks like this might be Candid from the FB description, but it's a direct offshoot of Drag Race. Mods please move if it should just go in Candid Reality instead.

From FB:

The Dean of Drag is finally opening up her "school for girls!" Welcome to RuPaulís Drag U, where biological women (the kind who donít have to tuck) undergo extreme makeovers Ė drag queen style. Who will be teaching these ladies to unleash their inner divas? Why Drag Race alums of course! Get ready for JuJubee, Raven, Pandora Boxx, Morgan McMichaels, Nina Flowers, Shannel, Ongina, and Tammie Brown to teach everything they ever learned from Ru to a whole new kind of student body.

FB page: http://www.facebook....-U/352763722614

First preview video with the queens.

Original Press Release

funkgasm

funkgasm

Couch Potato

• Interests:Autoharp; Bad Reality TV; Y&R; Chillaxin'

Posted Apr 23, 2010 @ 6:55 PM

I wonder if there will be around 8 episodes and each queen will have their own, or if it will be collaborative? Regardless, it sounds like I'll be watching!

ascotgavotte

ascotgavotte

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 23, 2010 @ 8:15 PM

I wonder why Morgan McMichaels and Tammi Brown are being included? We didn't see much of Tammi but Morgan wasn't that great.
The queens were looking kind of rough in the preview, except for Shannel.

milkyaqua

milkyaqua

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2010 @ 8:59 PM

Is it mean that I liked Raven's wig? Maybe because it was covering up part of her face? Shannel did look good and Nina! I don't get Morgan being included either. Tammi Brown OTOH is an interesting choice.

Myndela

Myndela

Fanatic

• Interests:Classic rock, bead weaving, playing the guitar and writing music.

Posted Apr 24, 2010 @ 12:09 AM

I think that Pandora looked great, as did Shannel. I am so looking forward to this show. I hope it airs on VH1, but they have a series on there right now about male-to-female transvestites who take frumpy women, put them in a bus, and give them make-overs. But it doesn't sound like they turn them into drag queens. (I don't know, I've never seen it.) So I may just have to buy it on iTunes.

I'm a woman, but I have a drag queen inside of me who is dying to get out, so maybe I should try to get on this show. If they do it one queen per make-over, though, with my luck I would end up with Raven or Morgan or Tammie Brown as my mentor. But damn, what I wouldn't give to meet and be made over by the likes of Pandora Boxx, Ongina, Nina and Shannel. If only Jessica Wild was in on it, too!

Edited by Myndela, Apr 24, 2010 @ 12:09 AM.

paddymcpaddy

paddymcpaddy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2010 @ 1:29 AM

Out of all the queens participating, I get Morgan the least. I always thought her look was deep fried ass.

I'm pretty psyched to see the woman who walks with children in nature on a weekly basis. Go Tammie!

I'm also so. fucking. happy. that Miss Nina Motherfucking Flowers is going to be on my televisual screens yet again. I missed Nina so much this whole season--to me she will always be The Queen Who Set the Bar--and I can't even say how freaking overjoyed I am that she's on. Same with Ongina (albeit with a slightly lesser fangirlish love) and then Shannel. Jesus, Shannel drove me crazy the first season, and now I can't wait to see her again.

So funny that I still care more about the first queens. I'm over the moon to see them.

I liked Raven's wig, but I still hate her guts.

FunnyHat

FunnyHat

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 24, 2010 @ 3:15 AM

I think Morgan and Tammie are there for the same reason: they are two queens who know exactly who their character is and do not waver for anybody else. I don't recall Tammie or Morgan being too upset about their eliminations because they did what they were going to do with their challenges. Tammie didn't even try to stop her elimination, and Morgan seemed proud of her bubble-skirted homage to 80s bandwhores.

I'm excited for this show because of Tammie. What the world needs are more women willing to embrace their inner Bette Davis and smack a bitch with a message once in a while.

AntManBee

AntManBee

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 24, 2010 @ 11:50 AM

Do we know if this show is going to be a competitive reality show? Everything I've read/heard about it so far suggests its more informative and similar to TransForm me, but with Drag Queens

Mybrainhurts

Mybrainhurts

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 24, 2010 @ 3:41 PM

Do we know if this show is going to be a competitive reality show? Everything I've read/heard about it so far suggests its more informative and similar to TransForm me, but with Drag Queens

Here's a description of the show from the PR Newswire website (prnewswire.com) so I think it can be considered a competitive reality show:

"RUPAUL'S DRAG U" (8 Episodes – 60 Minutes) Premieres July 2010

"RuPaul's Drag U" is a series where everyday women compete in a series of challenges to unleash their inner diva. Hosted by RuPaul and a team of drag queen instructors, "Drag U" is a spin-off of the breakout hit series "RuPaul's Drag Race."

Produced by World of Wonder which has created a number of hit series including "Tori & Dean: Home Sweet Hollywood," "Million Dollar Listing," "Fantasia For Real" (premiering on VH1 in January), and "RuPaul's Drag Race."

Don't know how it's going to work but since Miss Nina Flowers, Ongina and Pandora will be there, I'm totally watching!

Edited by Mybrainhurts, Apr 24, 2010 @ 3:42 PM.

Krispy24

Krispy24

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2010 @ 9:52 PM

According to the Los Angeles Times:

Each episode will feature three women going to drag school, and they will be evaluated based on their Drag Point Average. Think "Drag Queen for a Day" meets "Extreme Drag Makeover," sources told Show Tracker.

There is a winner at the end, but everyone's a winner on Draguation Day.

That last sentence isn't very clear. I wonder if there will simply be a winner at the end of every episode like a game show or if there will be a finals round with an overall winner a la The Swan.

I'm not crazy about this format but I'm still dying to see Nina, Ongina, Tammie and Pandora again! Why must July be so far away?

Source.

Edited by Krispy24, Apr 24, 2010 @ 9:53 PM.

23 Skiddoo

23 Skiddoo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2010 @ 3:02 AM

Like most of you, I'm just really excited that Nina, Ongina, Shannel, Jujubee,Tammie, and Pandora will be gracing our televisions again! I never really got Morgan's look either, but I loved her lipsynch to "Two of Hearts". I'll definitely be watching this show.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Apr 25, 2010 @ 11:18 AM

Saw a commercial for this last night. It reminded me of VH-1's Charm School. If the show spoofs that foolishness it should be fun!

Bunky

Bunky

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 25, 2010 @ 3:39 PM

I am SO excited about this. I miss last year's girls so much. I am thrilled that they will be back on my screen soon. I am loving the RuPaul franchise. Fabulous!

I'm excited for this show because of Tammie. What the world needs are more women willing to embrace their inner Bette Davis and smack a bitch with a message once in a while.

Word!

Kaboom

Kaboom

Stalker

Posted Apr 25, 2010 @ 8:32 PM

I am so watching this. I've been in severe Nina withdrawal for the longest, this should help! :) Also would love to see Pandora, Shanel and Ongina again.

I'm still no fan of Morgan so meh about her participation.

Saw a commercial for this last night. It reminded me of VH-1's Charm School. If the show spoofs that foolishness it should be fun!

Omg I so hope Drag U goes there. Ru as headmistress? GOLD.

Sister Havana

Sister Havana

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 25, 2010 @ 10:33 PM

I am so excited about this show. Yay for Pandora coming back to my TV!

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2010 @ 9:44 AM

OMG shut your mouth! Nina, Ongina, Tammie, and Pandora all back again?! This is so exciting! Meh I can do without Shannel and Raven but whatever. As long as I get my Miss Tammie Brown back again I will be happy! Season 1 was the best!

Oh and did anyone notice that Tyra isn't listed. Do you think that means she's gonna win tonite and has been to busy to be on the show?

lucille austero

lucille austero

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 10:32 AM

Like everyone said so far, I am so excited for this show to premiere. There's not too much info about it on the internets, though - mainly just info repeated from the press release and the simple FB/Logo pages. Has anyone been able to find information about the contestants, or more importantly, how to become one of the contestants? My Google skills are failing me! I get the shivers of delight just thinking about Shannel and Nina doing my makeup...

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 10:44 AM

Well the only thing I could suggest is going to the Logo website and seeing if you can sign up that way. But chances are, they've already started filming so it might be too late. Yeah how exciting would it be to have Nina help with your makeup and wadrobe? I would want Ongina to work with me. I think it would be so cool just to hang out with her. I wonder if the ladies get to pick their drag queens to help them or will they be pre-selected?

kostgard

kostgard

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 10:49 AM

I'm also so. fucking. happy. that Miss Nina Motherfucking Flowers is going to be on my televisual screens yet again. I missed Nina so much this whole season--to me she will always be The Queen Who Set the Bar--and I can't even say how freaking overjoyed I am that she's on.

Sing it. I actually squee'd with joy when I saw that "Professor" Nina Flowers was going to be part of the faculty. I share your fangirl love.

Actually, I think they selected a great group overall. The only one that makes me go "Buh?" is Morgan, but the others are such great choices that I'm sure there's a reason.

paddymcpaddy

paddymcpaddy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 11:18 AM

Nina Flowers is going to bring it. Maybe not super worksafe, that one. Well, really not. But this was the vid that made me go o.O when I first saw it. I was just like DAMN, GIRL.

Mere mortals can't even achieve that level of fierce. Fierce is her superpower.

WORK IT!

Do I have a giant crush on Miss Nina Flowers? Why yes, I do. And my husband teases me for sitting on YT, poring over vids of her and cheering like a crazy girl.

Some of the clips in the sidebar have links to Shannel and Nina performing on the same bills--Shannel is a sassy queen and I love her way more now than I did when she was on RPDR, so I'm really looking forward to seeing her on Drag U.

My one fear is that the producers and showrunners are going to ask them to up the bitch factor. If they do that? I am tuning out with a quickness. Having to look at David again is bad enough.

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 2:22 PM

I gotta admit between Shannel and that atrocious Raven from this season I would choose Shannel any day of the week. I can't remember is Raven gonna be on Drag U?? I mostly just listened out for the season 1 queens cause they are my favorites.

Oh how can you not LOVE Nina Flowers. I remember when the first season aired I didn't really like her because I thought she was too tough and was going to be a royal you-know-what but as the season went on and I got to know her personality better (in and out of drag) I just adore both Nina and Jorge Flores. Can't wait too see him on Drag U!!

vallegirl

vallegirl

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 2:36 PM

What I love about the Jorge/Nina divide is that Jorge is such a gentle and kind soul, but Nina will kick your ass, snatch your wig and bang your boyfriend. So while Nina is his feminized persona, she's the tougher and far more aggressive one. She is yin to his yang.

milkyaqua

milkyaqua

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 2:37 PM

Yes, Raven's little black cloud is going to be on Drag U and agree Shannel >>>> Raven. Although Raven's wig in the promo clip is cute.

Nena

Nena

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2010 @ 2:37 PM

Has anyone been able to find information about the contestants, or more importantly, how to become one of the contestants?

On the wall of the Drag U fb page, they already stated that they are done with casting and aren't doing any. That will probably change if the show gets renewed, but until they know if there will be a 2nd season, they probably won't have any info on how to be cast. If the time does come, keep an eye on the production company's blog NSFW, because it will probably be announced there at the same time if not sooner.

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 10:33 AM

Although Raven's wig in the promo clip is cute.

I gotta check that promo out again because alot of the ladies I didn't recognize. The only one I really saw was Ongina and that's because she usually goes sans wig. It wasnt until I read the first post here on this thread that I saw who was actually gonna be on it.

Oh why does July have to be so far away?!

Punky B

Punky B

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 10:38 AM

Pandora + Tammie = watch for me! Yay!

pomme de divan

pomme de divan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 10:46 AM

If any of you live in the Denver area (home of Miss Flowers) check out the schedule for Nina's club:
http://www.tracksdenver.com/
She is performing tomorrow (4/30) and on May 14th the RPDR girls (Tyra, Jujubee, Raven) will be doing a show.
Support your local Drag Queen!

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 2:34 PM

Pandora + Tammie = watch for me! Yay!

Whew, well I was starting to think I was the only Tammie fan! I felt she got too much negative press because alot of people might not have understood her style of drag. Personally I adore her and happy she's gonna be on the new show. I just wish Victoria Pork Chop would be on there too. It would be nice to show more of different types of drag.

SiameseCatLady

SiameseCatLady

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 3:03 PM

What I love about the Jorge/Nina divide is that Jorge is such a gentle and kind soul, but Nina will kick your ass, snatch your wig and bang your boyfriend. So while Nina is his feminized persona, she's the tougher and far more aggressive one. She is yin to his yang.

That is it exactly, Vallegirl! I flove Jorge and Nina and can't wait until she is on my screen again.

Whew, well I was starting to think I was the only Tammie fan!

I thought Tammie was great and wished she'd stayed on longer, but there was just no way that the Tammie Brown character could fit into a lot of the challenges. Tammie was definitely one of the most clearly defined characters on either season of Drag Race.

Watermelon

Watermelon

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 9:33 PM

I felt she got too much negative press because alot of people might not have understood her style of drag.

I don't really understand her style of drag but anybody who says "I don't see you walking children in nature" is a friend of mine.