Hank Schrader: Shellshock Holmes

• Please log in to reply

93 replies to this topic

DVR Hawg

DVR Hawg

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 27, 2013 @ 5:28 AM

Question that I think would be apropos to the Hank discussion thread that I don't believe I've seen posed anywhere else: when the BB cast appeared on Conan's BB special episode, Dean Norris was asked about his chilling last words to Walt in "Ozymandias": "You're the smartest guy I've ever met, and you're too stupid to see that he made up his mind 10 minutes ago."  Dean said that this last line reflected that Walt had redeemed himself somewhat in Hank's eyes in the prior minutes leading up to this, by offering up his entire $80 million meth fortune to Jack's crew in exchange for Hank's life.  This was Dean's opinion, and I can't be sure that Vince Gilligan agreed (he seemed to cast a sideways glance at Dean when he said this), but I think that makes sense.  Up until this point, Hank had seen Walt as an absolute monster that had to be taken down and locked away at all costs.  I  agree with Dean's point of view that the fact that Walt's desperation and his willingness to trade the entire spoils of his meth empire to save Hank's life showed Hank, in the final moments of his life, that Walt was still a human being who cared deeply about his family.  After rewatching with Dean's commentary, it made more sense to me (particularly in Hank's complementing Walt on being the smartest guy he ever met and his sad, not angry, tone).  I mentioned this to a friend and he disagreed; what do you all think of this perspective?

Bryce Lynch

Bryce Lynch

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 28, 2013 @ 11:41 AM

Another irony in a show full of many. During the heartbreaking phone call from the New Hampshire bar, Walt Jr. told Walt to "Die, already." His anger didn't come from the fact that Walt was a drug-dealer, nor from the fact that Walt kidnapped Holly, or held a knife on Skyler. His greatest anger came because Walt killed Uncle Hank. At the end of the day, Hank really had been more of a father to Jr.

I agree, which made me wonder why Walt didn't try to explain to Walter Jr. or Skyler, either when he was trying to get them to flee with him, or on his later two phone calls (when he had Holly and from NH), that he had tried to save Hank's life.  As soon as he saw that Hank and Gomie were with Jesse, he desperately called off the Nazis, eventhough he knew this meant he would likely be captured. go to prison and his family would lose everything.  Then he offered his entire $80 million to the Nazis to spare Hank.

For all his evil deeds, Walt proved that he loved Hank more than he loved his money or his freedom.   If Walt Jr had known this, might he have gone with Walt, or at least accepted his money and not told him to "Die already."? 

thatguy01

thatguy01

Fanatic

Posted Oct 28, 2013 @ 11:59 AM

I  agree with Dean's point of view that the fact that Walt's desperation and his willingness to trade the entire spoils of his meth empire to save Hank's life showed Hank, in the final moments of his life, that Walt was still a human being who cared deeply about his family.  After rewatching with Dean's commentary, it made more sense to me (particularly in Hank's complementing Walt on being the smartest guy he ever met and his sad, not angry, tone).  I mentioned this to a friend and he disagreed; what do you all think of this perspective?

If Dean found it there and played it, I think his interpretation is valid.  It doesn't contradict the words on the page and IMO it doesn't contradict what we know about Hank.  Hank knows that Walt didn't want him dead, at any cost, and that Walt wasn't completely ruthless and valued Hank's life, however despicable Walt may have been in his attempts to keep Hank from busting him.

Ankai

Ankai

Stalker

Posted Oct 28, 2013 @ 7:23 PM

I agree, which made me wonder why Walt didn't try to explain to Walter Jr. or Skyler, either when he was trying to get them to flee with him, or on his later two phone calls (when he had Holly and from NH), that he had tried to save Hank's life.  As soon as he saw that Hank and Gomie were with Jesse, he desperately called off the Nazis, eventhough he knew this meant he would likely be captured. go to prison and his family would lose everything.  Then he offered his entire $80 million to the Nazis to spare Hank.

I am pretty sure that Walt did insist that he tried to save Hank, which served as confirmation that Hank was dead. After that, I guess that Walt figured that it did not matter to them what his intentions were. I cannot imagine either Skyler or Jr. doing a turnaround just because Walt claims that he was willing to give up all the money for Hank. The result of Walt's effort is that Hank is DEAD and the money that he is trying to give to them is the money that he would have given to the Nazis had Hank lived. It's blood money and the blood is Hank's.