Pretty Little Liars

• Please log in to reply

19188 replies to this topic

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Moderator

Posted Mar 19, 2014 @ 8:29 PM

Just a quick note because it seems to be an ongoing problem with this thread and I'd rather just post once and address it instead of giving out warnings here and there:

Please spell out curse words. Don't use asterisks to mask them. Everyone knows what word you mean. If you're grown up enough to post here, you're grown up enough to read the word fuck. PM me if you have questions.

emma675

emma675

Fanatic

Posted Dec 26, 2010 @ 5:49 PM

I am sadly and ridiculously excited the show is back--I caught a marathon of the show one day during the summer and got hooked (on both the books and the show).

It looks like there is marathon of the episodes on Monday January 3rd--I'm recording a few that I loved and the last episode of the season so I can rewatch and be caught up again before the season premiere that night.

wonderchica05

wonderchica05

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 28, 2010 @ 5:08 PM

Heads up: Looks like TWoP will be recapping the new season. S1E1 recap is up on the homepage now.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Dec 29, 2010 @ 5:29 PM

Heads up: Looks like TWoP will be recapping the new season.

Its got exactly the right qualities for Maximum Snarkage (while at the same time actually being watchable).

jennifda

jennifda

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 30, 2010 @ 1:16 PM

I have to agree that Troian looks a lot older than the other girls but I can still accept her as being a particularly mature 16-year old. Furthermore, all her mannerisms are in line with her character's personality as this super driven, accomplished teenager so it doesn't really bother me.

Plus, Spencer is supposed to be in constant competition with Melissa (who is supposed to be in her 20s). That would make sense to me if she (Spencer) tried to make herself look and act like someone in that age group to be "equal" to Melissa, not her immature, "cute" little sister.

As for Maya... I have only watched a couple of episodes (bought the season on iTunes last night), but when met Emily and mentioned her parents were "away" and then she was sitting on the stairs by herself when Emily came over, I thought the storyline was supposed to be that she was a 30 year old pretending to be a teen and the photo in her room would be her son, not her boyfriend 3000 miles away.

Personally, I would like it if there are various A's working together, each having their own beef with the girls rather than just having one person. Then if the do figure out who it is and that person is caught, but the emails and so forth continue, it would keep it interesting.

Love Lucas and Hanna together and also loved that the show has the guts to make the "Just Say No to Sex" boyfriend kind of a jerk (in regards to Lucas) and dis-likable. Way to mix it up a bit, ABC Family. And Boo/Toby, I died a little inside when they ratted you out to the po-po.

Edited by jennifda, Dec 31, 2010 @ 11:47 AM.

Bottled Water

Bottled Water

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2011 @ 1:56 AM

As for Maya... I have only watched a couple of episodes (bought the season on iTunes last night), but when met Emily and mentioned her parents were "away" and then she was sitting on the stairs by herself when Emily came over, I thought the storyline was supposed to be that she was a 30 year old pretending to be a teen and the photo in her room would be her son, not her boyfriend 3000 miles away.

Hah. That's funny because one time I randomly watched a Law & Order episode (I never watch that show) and I was very distracted by an actress who was supposed to be a teen but definitely looked much older. She sounded and acted convincingly like a teen... but something about her age in the face seemed off. Turned out, the storyline was about how she was faking being a teenager. What first seemed like questionable casting turned out to be pretty good casting. If only that was the case with Maya. It really is a shame -- I want to root for Maya and Emily (and again, Emily is so hot) but "Maya's" age is a bit distracting. (I don't even know how old "Maya" really is. But I'd guess she's pushing 30. -- Er, googled it. 31. Wow. Worse than I even thought.)

Edited by Bottled Water, Jan 3, 2011 @ 1:58 AM.

caitlin claire

caitlin claire

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2011 @ 1:07 PM

I love Alona Tal, so when I heard she was guesting on this show, that plus all the recs I'd previously gotten convinced me to finally watch it. Unfortunately I only got through the first 2 episodes (time reasons, not 'not liking it' reasons).

I'm not someone who cares about being spoiled for things, so I'm totally going to watch the new eps anyway (I watch Vampire Diaries season 1 completely out of order). I know Emily and Maya are in a relationship (openly?), Toby did something bad to Emily, and Hannah got hit by a car. Anything else I should know before tonight just so I can understand the plot?

jennifda

jennifda

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2011 @ 2:52 PM

Toby (her stepbrother) didn't do anything bad to Jenna. The girls did, threw a firecracker -? They thought it was a smokebomb but it exploded into fire- in her garage, she was there, and it caused her to be blind. Toby saved her and then took the blame for the accident. They (Toby and Jenna) were in a "relationship" as it were and when Alison found out about it, she threatened to tell unless Toby took the blame.

Emily and Toby are sort of friends. They went to prom, he got her alone to tell her about the whole Jenna/Toby thing, but she thought he was going to attack her. She ran away from him, fell and hurt herself. He took her to the hospital. Later he met up with her to say he was leaving town and asked that she stop by the church (?) and say goodbye. Either she and the girls or someone informed the cops so as of now he is in custody. Jenna is very jealous and possive in regards to him.

Hannah's mom stole some money from her bank customer. Spenser was messing around with her sister Melissa's boyfriend and stole Melissa's paper and won an award with it. We find out that Spenser also dated another of Melissa's boyfriends (Ian) and Ian and dead Alison were also involved.

That pretty much wraps it up except that Aria is in a relationship with her high school teacher (least interesting story that is constantly shoved down the viewer's throat as true love).

Edited by jennifda, Jan 3, 2011 @ 3:24 PM.

caitlin claire

caitlin claire

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2011 @ 3:01 PM

EmILY (as opposed to Emma) and Toby are sort of friends. They went to prom, he got her alone to tell her about the whole Emma/Toby thing, but she thought he was going to attack her. She ran away from him, fell and hurt herself. He took her to the hospital. Later he met up with her to say he was leaving town and asked that she stop by the church (?) and say goodbye. Either she and the girls or someone informed the cops so as of now he is in custody. EmMA is very jealous and possive in regards to him.

Thanks. I saw a 'previously on' segment that made it look like Toby had attacked Emily, so good to know that wasn't the case.

emma675

emma675

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2011 @ 3:16 PM

Toby (her stepbrother) didn't do anything bad to EmMA. The girls did, threw a firecracker -?- in her garage, she was there, and it caused her to be blind.

I think you mean Jenna, not Emma. AFAIK, there is no character named Emma on the show (yet). Jenna is the blind step-sister of Toby.

jennifda

jennifda

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2011 @ 3:25 PM

I think you mean Jenna, not Emma. AFAIK, there is no character named Emma on the show (yet). Jenna is the blind step-sister of Toby.

Thanks, just came back to make that fix.

AmaiaIsabella

AmaiaIsabella

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 3, 2011 @ 9:07 PM

Allison: "You really should do something about A. That b!tch is really getting on my nerves." Sing it, Allie!

I found Emily's parents' reactions to be pretty on target and not over the top. Kudos, show.

All these twists and turns- our show is back!

Edited by AmaiaIsabella, Jan 3, 2011 @ 9:39 PM.

jennifda

jennifda

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2011 @ 9:30 PM

Loved how Melissa re-wrote her own script. Instead of being the victim having to cancel her wedding because her fiancť preferred her own sister, she is the ultra desirable woman who chose the old flame over the med student. Well done, even if the groom is no prize. As bitchy as she is, she's a surviver. I also love the idea of her going all lumberjack on that tree without messing up her manicure.

Edited by jennifda, Jan 3, 2011 @ 10:13 PM.

Sunny Skies

Sunny Skies

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 3, 2011 @ 10:50 PM

"That was Melissa? I thought it was only established that A cut down the tree. Although I can see why Melissa would do it, because her neighbor girl was dating her husband...

Belley

Belley

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 4, 2011 @ 12:44 AM

Yay! Pretty Little Liars is back in all its melodrama!

Emily's mom is the vilest, ugliest bitch in the universe. Worse, she's one of those bitches who doesn't know she's a bitch. I got a sense of it last season, but this episode really showed it. "She's afraid to come to me?!" "She's being brainwashed and is ruining her life and homosexuality is a choice and ahh bigotry!" I can't wait until A sets her on fire for the hell of it.

So...the million dollar question: was Alison's return a hallucination or did it actually happen? Is Alison somehow still alive? The lipstick on the cup was interesting.

waving feather

waving feather

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2011 @ 1:04 AM

This is a good episode, a return to form to the early episodes.

Can I just say how much I love it whenever Alison is on screen? The actress plays it deliciously bitchy.

And welcome back, my cynical, snarky (and kinda shady) Spencer! I've missed you. This episode also confirms the fact that Lucas is a douche. He should be grateful that Hanna wasn't trying to lead him on and be honest.

firesermon

firesermon

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 4, 2011 @ 2:12 AM

Emily's mom is the vilest, ugliest bitch in the universe.

I didn't get that at all--I actually really liked Emily's parents' reactions because they seemed so realistic. Most shows would have them be immediately accepting or cartoonishly intolerant--for a conservative woman from a conservative background (as well as a dad from a military background), I think this complicated mix of emotions, including disappointment, shock, denial and feeling terrible at your child's palpable distress but not knowing how to resolve it seems more realistic. I'm not excusing her attitudes but I've seen many conservative parents who initially were unhappy and shocked when their children told them they were gay because of their rigid beliefs and lack of experience with (out) gay people, slowly realize that this is not a passing phase and become loving and accepting parents to their children. I think it would be a very emotionally satisfying arc to see on this show, if that's what they're aiming for.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Jan 4, 2011 @ 2:30 AM

Damn. I was hoping they'd stick with Emily being bisexual. There goes my Toby/Emily shipper heart shattering into pieces. Here's hoping they get her a better girlfriend.

Ezra doesn't depress Aria? Right, that's why the only time I remember her genuninely smiling was whenever she was hanging out with Noel.

They NEED to get Denise Richards on here as Alison's mother. God. The resemblance is just getting stronger as the actress is blossoming into womanhood.

redrose101

redrose101

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 4, 2011 @ 3:50 AM

I didn't get that at all--I actually really liked Emily's parents' reactions because they seemed so realistic. Most shows would have them be immediately accepting or cartoonishly intolerant--for a conservative woman from a conservative background (as well as a dad from a military background), I think this complicated mix of emotions, including disappointment, shock, denial and feeling terrible at your child's palpable distress but not knowing how to resolve it seems more realistic.

ITA....I actually think their reactions were quite spot-on. I can see conservative parents reacting the way that Emily's did; not that I excuse or condone their reactions. However, when my brother came out, my parents had a bit of a similar reaction...shock/denial/distress/confusion and disappointment, not at my brother, but the fact that he will now have to face a lot more obstacles in life simply by being who he is. I agree that if we can see this as a beginning of an arch...a path of a parents acceptance, then I think it can be a great story. I think Emily already, while feeling like her life will now be hell with the bombshell she dropped, also feels somewhat relieved. The poor girl was in complete agony over her secret and I could see the weight being lifted off now that the secret is out in the open. I think the dad already has taken some good first steps by putting things into perspective and realizing that at least his daughter is healty and alive; which is a lot better than some of the situations he has seen in Iraq. Surprisingly, the dad (who always seems quite strict, loving, but strict) might be Emily's champion to get her mom to the path of acceptance.

Oh Hanna...you broke Lucas's heart tonight...and mine. Still, I agree that Lucas acted childish. Hanna was just doing the mature thing and being honest. She values him as a friend AND does have a boyfriend (a douchey one, but he's there). I think Lucas was out of line throwing a fit like that. Still, I really really hope he is not evil and that those two crazy kids can work it out.

Also, Mona has always annoyed me, but that moment with Hanna, where she explains how she wanted to be her friend, was really really sweet. I think Mona truly looks up to Hanna and admires her resilience.

Aria....meh....I actually thought she was acting stupid by not telling Ezra about the dangers of the message on his car. Someone saw them...they should take it seriously...it's not like his life and career is not on the line for her (and really. does no one notice how often Aria is alone in a classroom with this guy?). This storyline still has me kinda bored...although the Noah twist could be interesting.

Spencer....my second fave girl is back! But whoooaaah! Guys, I literally blurted out WTF when the reveal ocurred that Melissa and Ian were married! Then...ohhhh no! Looks like creepy Ian will be around awhile. Sooo random. So good. Too bad it overshadowed the nice sisterly moment btw. Spencer and Melissa.

Wrapping up: So now we are leaning towards "two" mysteries...who is A? and who is Allison's killer? I think we got to see a more human side of Allison in Hanna's dream tonight. I mean, let's face it, the girl had been a grade A bitch while alive , and I used to wonder why these girls were even friends with her. But she seemed genuinely remorseful and mighty mad that someone is using her name to toy with them.

dippychik

dippychik

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2011 @ 4:03 AM

I'm so happy the show's back.

Can they please get a new girlfriend for Emily? I find Maya way too old for this. I watched OriginalRecipe! 90210 so I'm not exactly new to thirtysomethings playing teens but honestly she looks far far too old for college let alone high school. I also findd her acting annoying as hell.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Jan 4, 2011 @ 5:10 AM

It doesn't help that Shay Mitchell looks believably teenaged as a contrast to Bianca Lawson. When Andrea was on OR90210, they always paired her with "older" men and her husband looked like he was well into his 30's. Also in terms of casting....watching Emily's mother and father together, I was struck at how well they were chosen. The two actors honestly look like they would produce off-spring that looked like Shay Mitchell. None of the other parents really look like the kids, except maybe HMC and Lucy Hale.

I like how the girls are reacting to finding out that Aria has been hooking up with Mr. Fitz- that's the reaction people SHOULD be having. No one is thinking this is Romeo and Juliet, which is unfortunately the fantasy that Aria seems to have spun in her mind. They're calling Aria on it being gross and wrong, which was awesome.

Edited by MethodActor05, Jan 4, 2011 @ 5:18 AM.

AmaiaIsabella

AmaiaIsabella

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 4, 2011 @ 5:57 AM

Forgot to add something last night- I don't think I'm supposed to go "DIE, DIE, DIE!" and hope A/the killer comes out of nowhere and offs Ezra when he's walking alone in the halls. I don't know if I'm supposed to root for Noel, either, but oh well.

deadeye85k

deadeye85k

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 4, 2011 @ 6:44 AM

One thing I've always wondered, do the characters on the show only think the Aria and Fitz thing is wrong only because he's her teacher, and not because he's like way older than her? It always struck me as odd that they treat Aria's situation differently than what Spencer had with both Ian and Wren. Particularly when Aria and Spencer were talking about the Ezra thing in the woods and it seemed like Spencer had no idea what its like to be in that situation. I mean, I was hoping they'd mention some parallels!

Maybe its because I have no idea how much older Melissa, Ian and Wren are than Spencer, but they always seemed like they were post college to me. But when both those relationships blew up, Melissa seemed more mad at Spencer for kissing her fiancees, and not that her 20-something boyfriends were macking on her 16 year old sister! It seemed like the parents at least knew about what happened with Wren and Spencer, but again, they don't seem to be shocked/doing anything about the fact that their daughter's fiancee had tried to get involved with their other (underage!) daughter.

Edited by deadeye85k, Jan 4, 2011 @ 7:24 AM.

jennifda

jennifda

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 4, 2011 @ 7:49 AM

That was Melissa? I thought it was only established that A cut down the tree. Although I can see why Melissa would do it, because her neighbor girl was dating her husband...

Well, it could be anyone: Melissa, Ian, A, etc. It just amuses me to think of Melissa with a chainsaw in the middle of the night, taking down the offending tree.

One thing I do like about the Emily situation is how wrapped up her mom is in what the neighbors think when the neighbors probably could not care less who she goes out with (Ben, Toby, or Maya) or what she does. I hope having the Dad there focuses her a bit and she sees what is really important; her daughter! I kind of hope eventually Emily tells her dad about Toby rescuing her from Ben. I'd like to see him all Atticus Finch up in there for Toby.

Danie84

Danie84

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2011 @ 8:45 AM

So glad the show's back. I pick Mya as A, just because I still can't get over the fact, BL's playing a teen. But, the Angelina-Jolie-look-alike sisterís phoniness, when she found out Hannah got hit by car, had me rethinking everything. Ezra looks so much boyish, that Iím not sleazed out, by him and Ari anymore.

So...the million dollar question: was Alison's return a hallucination or did it actually happen? Is Alison somehow still alive? The lipstick on the cup was interesting.

Good call. I thought the cup was based in Hannah's loopy dream. I didn't realized it was after she woke up, they showed it.

glitter5579

glitter5579

Stalker

Posted Jan 4, 2011 @ 9:01 AM

Ezra looks so much boyish, that Iím not sleazed out, by him and Ari anymore.

I've never been sleazed out by the pairing simply because there's only a 3 year age difference between the actors and it's kind of obvious. Their storyline is awful though. Not in the teacher dating their student awful (because that's one level of bad in their relationship) but in their star crossed lovers, you should have been fighting for me dialogue. It's so corny and not very entertaining to watch.

Sakura12

Sakura12

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2011 @ 9:25 AM

I'm so excited this show is back it's sad or it's the lace of good tv shows this year.

While not ideal reactions both her parents had real reactions. Considering what we've been shown about Emily's mom I thought her reaction was very realistic. I did like her dad saying that she's healthy and alive and that's what really matters.

Emily threating Jenna is probably not going to turn out well for her. Jenna seems like she can be really scary if she wanted too. Toby is a foot taller and phyiscally stronger then her and he acts like he's afraid of her even now when she's blind.

I was bored by Aria/Ezra during the summer season and I'm still bored by them. But I did like the girls reactions thinking it's gross and wrong. I think the difference with Spencer is she did't have a relationship with either Ian or Wren, she kissed them but she didn't start seeing them after that. But I also thought Aria would bring that up, unless she doesn't know about them?

The Ian and Melissa thing should be interesting now since Ian had motive to kill Alison. But I still think Spencer knows more about what happened that night than any of them afterall she was gone too when the girls woke up. And she's so quick to jump on any available suspect.

I like that in Hannah's dreamAlison is a tad bit nicer than we've been shown. I'm also glad that they didn't go the amnesia route after she got hit by a car. I wonder how closely they'll follow the books? Because A writing on Hannah's cast was very creepy and just shows how much the girls are out of their league with whomever is A is.

Everyone on this show is so creepy and shifty that I think any one of them could be A. Which I guess is the point they have to keep us guessing.

Edited by Sakura12, Jan 4, 2011 @ 9:42 AM.

TeeVee329

TeeVee329

Stalker

Posted Jan 4, 2011 @ 9:41 AM

The line of the night had to be:

Allison: You know, I really should do something about A. That bitch is really starting to get on my nerves.

My favorite scene was probably the other Liars' reactions to Aria and Mr. Fitz. I particularly loved Spencer jumping on her ass, which is pretty rich coming from her since she's macked with two of her sister's boyfriends.

I was hoping an A message would end up on Hannah's cast and I SO wasn't disappointed. Creepy!

Edited by TeeVee329, Jan 4, 2011 @ 9:43 AM.

peachmangosteen

peachmangosteen

Stalker

Posted Jan 4, 2011 @ 9:48 AM

Damn. I was hoping they'd stick with Emily being bisexual. There goes my Toby/Emily shipper heart shattering into pieces. Here's hoping they get her a better girlfriend.

Damn, I know. I hope Toby comes back and we get to see more of a, at least, friendship between them. Toby and Emily's relationship is the only one I ever really cared about.

And, yes, they need to bring in a new girl for Emily. I love Emily. I want to ship her with a girl, but I just can't with Maya.

I was mostly indifferent towards Ezra last season and I grew to hate Lucas, but I straight-up loved both of them in this episode. They're both such dicks and I find it very hilarious. I find all the male characters (minus Toby) so horrible and I enjoy it so much.

I actually liked and enjoyed Noel for the first time, too. So, yay!

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted Jan 4, 2011 @ 9:55 AM

I thought this was a pretty solid episode all around in that I was actually interested in everything that was going on. I don't care about Aria/Ezra's relationship, particularly because Ezra seems like a douche, but I thought the combination of the rest finding out about the two of them and the developments with Noel made it more interesting. Though am I supposed to be rooting for Noel? Because I am. Not to mention I think Aria has more chemistry with him anyway.

I don't like Emily's mom, nor do I agree with her, but I did think the parents reactions to Emily's coming out were relatively realistic. In particular I liked the way they played her dad's reaction, especially when he was talking about putting everything into perspective and being happy Emily was alive and healthy. I also appreciated we didn't actually see Maya this episode.

Like Hannah's vision of Alison, real or not. I agree the actress playing Alison does a good job with those sorts of scenes.

I've totally given up trying to figure out who A is and/or Alison's killer. At this point I'm just along for the ride since virtually it could be anybody on the damn show. I find it's much more enjoyable when I don't try to overthink it.

madhatter90

madhatter90

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 4, 2011 @ 10:09 AM

LOVED the episode. So thrilled to have this show back!

I think the difference between Spencer and Ian/Wren and Ezra and Aria is that Ezra is Aria's teacher, and therefore has a position of authority over her. That is MUCH ickier than Spencer's situation, even if they met before either knew who the other was, and I think Noel understood that with they way he talked to her ("What did he do to get you in that car?"). Ezra should put a stop to the nonsense now, uunless he feels like losing his career, reputation and his freedom when they throw him in jail.

I also agree that Emily's parents' reactions were very well done, and I look forward to the storyline if it's handled as well.

I'm guessing by their conversation that Hanna's mother is hoping to somehow make the stolen money back within a year? How does she plan to do that? Drugs? Prostitution? She's being very selfish, because the consequences of her actions will hurt Hanna just as much as they hurt her.

Too little Spencer tonight, she's my favourite character and I was sad that Holly Marie Combs wasn't in this episode.