Pretty Little Liars

• Please log in to reply

19188 replies to this topic

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Moderator

Posted Mar 19, 2014 @ 8:29 PM

Just a quick note because it seems to be an ongoing problem with this thread and I'd rather just post once and address it instead of giving out warnings here and there:

Please spell out curse words. Don't use asterisks to mask them. Everyone knows what word you mean. If you're grown up enough to post here, you're grown up enough to read the word fuck. PM me if you have questions.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Jun 8, 2010 @ 11:17 PM

Seriously, somewhere Ian Ziering is going "bitch, please" over Bianca Lawson's casting.

Mnemosyne78

Mnemosyne78

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2010 @ 1:10 AM

I think I'm going to like this show. It has an interesting premise, good music, great fashion, and a wealth of beautiful brunettes for me to girlcrush on. This can be my summer guilty pleasure. I'm really feeling Spencer and Emily.

Seriously, somewhere Ian Ziering is going "bitch, please" over Bianca Lawson's casting.

Hee. She is officially the new Stacy Dash.

greala3

greala3

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 9, 2010 @ 1:19 AM

I was kinda annoyed by the music. It felt like they squeezed in twenty different chick rock songs. One or two to emphasize an emotional point is fine, but they just did it to cover everything looking for that hook moment.

Clea

Clea

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 9, 2010 @ 3:06 AM

I have no issue with 30 somethings playing high school students (I grew up in the Dawson's Creek era of teen shows with Andy McFee being 32) but my issue with Bianca Lawson here is that she is annoying as hell and I swear she kept bordering on her weird accent from Buffy.

Also I've determined that the gentleman playing the teacher should be Gilbert Blythe if the Anne of Green Gables movies get a remake in the next couple years (not saying they should but I just kept seeing him as a younger version of the original movie Gilbert.)

jmarrise

jmarrise

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2010 @ 6:08 AM

As someone wholly unfamiliar with the books - my biggest issue with this show was trying to keep the characters straight. I think I missed half the show just trying to remember who was who!

Did they all need to be tiny, pretty, dark brunettes? I did watch Privileged so Lucy Hale's Aria was a little distinguishable from the others but I kept getting the Spencer and Emily characters confused. Throw in a dark brunette older sister and a dark brunette Jenna (is she supposed to be blind?) and I'm just totally lost.

ETA: Oh and until I read this thread I didn't realize that Alexis Denisof was once cast as Aria's father. He'd be SO much better than Chad Lowe. Every time I see Chad on screen I think, "lay off the plastic surgery, dude." If he keeps at it, in a few years he'll look like Bruce Jenner.

Edited by jmarrise, Jun 9, 2010 @ 6:22 AM.

Peterased

Peterased

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2010 @ 9:03 AM

After they mentioned the directors of The Vampire Diaries in the commercials I felt like I had to watch it!

The two shows don't actually share any creative producers; like The Vampire Diaries, Gossip Girl, and the upcoming ABC Family show Huge, this show's based on books from Alloy Entertainment, and the Alloy president and an Alloy VP are credited as executive producers on all the shows.

On the other hand, the pilot did reunite the writer and director of Now and Then, a movie about a very different group of 4 girls.

Edited by Peterased, Jun 9, 2010 @ 9:04 AM.

Writing Wrongs

Writing Wrongs

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2010 @ 10:06 AM

I watched for Holly Marie Combs and her hair, but even they can't make me keep watching this crap.

BrightLady

BrightLady

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 9, 2010 @ 10:44 AM

Because I'm a fan of campy teen dramas with borderline craptastic acting, I shall remain loyal to this show. Yes, I've DVR'd it and I can't wait until next week.

Aria and Mr. Fritz(?) have zero chemistry. And what's up with all the pedophiles on this show? And why is Hannah's mom hoing to get her daughter out of trouble?

This show reminded me of every Fear Street novel I've read in my preteen years. I loved it, lol.

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted Jun 9, 2010 @ 10:54 AM

I honestly wouldn't bother with this show if it weren't summer. But I have so few shows on my plate and it doesn't cause me physical pain like Secret Life.

I don't mind 30 year olds playing high school students either, but Bianca Lawson is just distracting because I've been watching her since Saved By the Bell: The New Class and the woman is starting to look old. There isn't anything fresh faced about her at all.

I can buy Lucy Hale and the Ashley Benson character as 16ish. They both kind of have baby faces.

I also agree the teacher and Aria had no chemistry whatsoever.

DS1

DS1

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2010 @ 11:40 AM

I can buy some 30 year olds as 16 year olds, but Bianca Lawson has aged. She doesn't look quite as young as Stacey Dash did at 30.
Stacey Dash's face has remained the same throughout time, but Bianca Lawson's face has gotten the kind of sharpness that people in their 30s have and I kept staring at those two pointy frowny lines on her forehead between her eyes.

esearcher

esearcher

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2010 @ 11:54 AM

I couldn't get 15 mins into this. Obviously I'm not the best person to make a statement on the show since I could get only 20 mins in, but... yawn. I wish ABC fam just picked up privileged.

Danie84

Danie84

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2010 @ 12:08 PM

This show reminded me of every Fear Street novel I've read in my preteen years. I loved it, lol.

It is truly a crime that Fear Street has not materialized into a TV series.

I honestly wouldn't bother with this show if it weren't summer. But I have so few shows on my plate and it doesn't cause me physical pain like Secret Life.

This is the only reason I'm watching too. What else is on a Tuesday night, in the summer? This already reminds me of another short-lived campy teen drama I really liked, called Hidden Palms.

I don't know how you do that to yourself with Secret Life.

Edited by Danie84, Jun 9, 2010 @ 12:10 PM.

BrightLady

BrightLady

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 9, 2010 @ 12:57 PM

It is truly a crime that Fear Street has not materialized into a TV series.

It really is. We get Goosebumps but no Fear Street.

I did like the opening, though. And there's something about teen shows set in the fall that make me feel nostalgic. It was good to see Laura Leighton, too. I'm hoping Lark Voorhies makes an appearance for no apparent reason because I miss her, lol.

I'm thinking the girl who got the makeover who's Hannah's friend now(I forgot her name) may be behind the secret messages, too. Something's off about them becoming friends so fast.

JennyLiz

JennyLiz

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2010 @ 1:10 PM

Bianca Lawson, really?

She's been playing a teen since I was a teen! I remember watching her on Saved By The Bell: the New Class in 1993!

I had to IMDB because I knew that I knew the actress from somewhere. I wish I could explain how horrified I was when I realized I remembered her best as Rhonda, Tamara Mowry's nemesis from Sister, Sister in 1995. Note to the producers: high school girls do not have smile lines. And her Diana Ross hair isn't helping matters. I keep waiting for the Supremes to show up.

I have to admit, it took me watching the second viewing to realize that Hanna was supposed to have some kind of eating problem. I guess the fact that in the two flashback scenes she was wearing a baggy t-shirt is supposed to signify a weight problem. Not so sure that's a blackmail-worthy secret, but we'll see.

I liked the show. Like others said, it's summer. Not much else going on on Tuesday nights.

3headedmonkey

3headedmonkey

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2010 @ 1:59 PM

I only watched this for Lucy Hale as well. Pleasantly surprised to discover she has the biggest role.

The rest of it...eh. It is what it is.

I can't stand Spencer though. She looks way too old, including older than the sister's boyfriend.

Alexis Denisof > Chad Lowe

Care Bear Love

Care Bear Love

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2010 @ 2:53 PM

She is officially the new Stacy Dash.

I'm afraid Stacy Dash is still Stacy Dash. In fact, she might have even looked more like a teen than BL. LOL And everybody looks so damn old, it's certainly not just her.

It's been said but I fear I have to say it too. What's with all the damn brunettes?? There's Aria, Jenna, Spencer, Spencer's sister, Emily, and Mona. Is that it? It's definitely more than enough. Plus, there were two long-haired blondes that I couldn't tell apart. WTF kind of casting did they have where they didn't put the headshots side by side and see what kind of confusion they were creating?

From what I could understand and follow, I sort of liked the pilot. There's no story I'm really invested in but I like teen shows so I'm in for the torture...ride, I mean. I'm going to need some age-appropriate love interests that I can root for though. Mya and Emily have a little chemistry but I really don't want to look at BL's hair for long periods of time as it (and trying to place her) totally took me out of the story a number of times.

kelbel

kelbel

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2010 @ 3:52 PM

Saw the pilot. I thought it was boring at first but it got better once the mystery of A started to pick up. I don't remember any of the characters names except for Aria and Spencer because I like Lucy Hale and I thought Spencer was a strange name to give a girl. I'm really tired of girls with boy names. It confuses me. lol.

Kendra from Buffy the Vampire Slayer still looks the same to me. But I'm definitely tired of seeing her on my TV. Wasn't she on Vampire Diaries too? At least she didn't play a teenager in that one. I don't think.

All the drama with the cast has already been done before so I'm not into that right now. The only thing that interests me so far is figuring out who A is. I figured it can't be any of the girls because they all got text messages and why would A send a text message to herself. It can't be Aliison because she's dead unless ghosts can send texts to people. I'm thinking it could be the new girl because they found Allison's body after she moved in.

Speaking of which, Allison has been missing for a year and the whole time her body was in the house?!?

I didn't know this show was a book, but I might check it out.

DS1

DS1

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2010 @ 4:24 PM

I can tell the three main brunettes apart (one was more exotic looking, one kind of looked like a Seventeen model, and the other one looked old.)

But I did have trouble telling the dead girl and the shoplifting girl apart. It was only when I realized that the shoplifting girl was once on Days of Our Lives that I could distinguish them.

The old one's sister was once Nanny Carrie on One Tree Hill so I could tell her face apart too.

The rest of the young people would not register in the memory though.

I was having troube with the names, but I wasn't sure if that was because none of the names were all that distinct either. On Gossip Girl, the names are very easy to remember because it's not everyday you meet someone named Blair Waldorf, Serena VanDerWoodsen or Chuck Bass.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Jun 9, 2010 @ 4:35 PM

Kendra from Buffy the Vampire Slayer still looks the same to me. But I'm definitely tired of seeing her on my TV. Wasn't she on Vampire Diaries too? At least she didn't play a teenager in that one. I don't think.

Yep, BL plays the witch Emily on Vampire Diaries.

caper24

caper24

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2010 @ 4:43 PM

I'm a fan of Lucy Hale, but not enough to just follow her to any old show. Now, if they'd kept Alexis Denisof, that would've tipped me over the edge.

I might catch an episode sooner or later just to see Holly Marie Combs in something again though.

Ayenat101

Ayenat101

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2010 @ 4:43 PM

Count me in as someone who enjoyed the pilot. I read a few of the books and besides the physical differences it was pretty spot on. It has a lot of potential.

I have to agree with you all about the casting of Bianca Lawson. I don't get it. It was a bit distracting, not because she looks old but I've seen her in so many things over the years I'm left wondering why she still bothers with high school shows. That being said I do think she has chemistry with the actress that plays Emily. They annoyed me in the books so I'm hoping the show doesn't go that route.

I do think Ezra & Aria have a bit of chemistry. The scenes where they were just talking proved that to me but the kissing was a bit awkward at times. Maybe they're just bad onscreen kissers? Spencer & Wren on the other hand had chemistry in spades.

The young actress playing Ali was really good. Pretty much how I imagined her to be while reading the books.

I can't wait for A to start causing havoc on these girls. I'll be tuning in.

Edited by Ayenat101, Jun 9, 2010 @ 4:46 PM.

ElleTell00

ElleTell00

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 9, 2010 @ 6:23 PM

I also liked the pilot. I mean as pilots go it was ok. I didn't necessarily love The Vampires Diaries the first few episodes in, but now it's one of my favorite shows. So hopefully PLL picks up as well.

I have read all of the books (yeah I'm not going to make excuses, they are just really addicting), and I wonder if they are going to keep the main story lines the same (like who A is, and who murdered Ali), or change things like they did with The Vampire Diaries books. If they keep things the same... then I really can't wait for things to pick up because things will be getting batshit crazy soon.

Loved seeing all of the old WB stars back on my tv. Wasn't Chad Lowe on Popular with the guy who plays Officer Wilden?

I actually liked Hanna's relationship with her mother. Can't wait for that to be expanded on. I also can't wait for Spencer's parent's to be introduced. I think it will help explain the rivalry between Melissa and Spencer and make Spencer look less like a brat.

I also found all of the girls pretty likeable. Usually in teen dramas there is a character that makes me roll my eyes from the very beginning (Peyton from OTH, Marissa from The O.C), but I liked all of the girls. Even Alison.

Featherhat

Featherhat

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2010 @ 6:43 PM

I enjoyed it more than I was expecting to. I watched it because I loved Lucy Hale in "Privileged" and thought Ashley Benson was good in Eastwick, but like ElleTell00 I thought all the girls here were good.

The pilot had some awkward dialogue and all the sutblety of a large sledge hammer, but there is enough there to keep me going for a few more episodes at least. I loathed TVD pilot, but its actually grown into a watchable guilty pleasure, so I hope this will work out its issues.

I think it will help explain the rivalry between Melissa and Spencer and make Spencer look less like a brat.

See I really identified with her in those scenes, not personally, but I've had several friends who no matter what they do have siblings that can flick their fingers and automatically walk roughshod over them with Mommy and Daddy's adoring blessing. Yeah it makes sense and its only temporary but its not like Spencer's parents even bothered to discuss it with her. That said, they really needed more than 20 seconds of screentime together before the obviousness of that back massage happened, way too rushed.

I do think Ezra & Aria have a bit of chemistry. The scenes where they were just talking proved that to me but the kissing was a bit awkward at times

I think they had a fair bit of chemistry, but I agree that the kissing was more awkward than the talking. It doesn't hurt that the fact they look around the same age is taking a lot of the innate squickiness out of the equation for me on a personal level.

Peterased

Peterased

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2010 @ 6:56 PM

I wonder if they are going to keep the main story lines the same (like who A is, and who murdered Ali)

Apparently the first 10 episodes draws on stuff from the first 4 books, but there will also be some changes.

Wasn't Chad Lowe on Popular with the guy who plays Officer Wilden?

Yes, for four episodes; and even further back, in those long ago days when Bianca Lawson actually was a teen, when Chad Lowe was in his mid-20s he was winning an Emmy for playing a teen on Life Goes On.

The ratings were pretty good; ABC Family skews young but this skews even younger than usual. It beat Glee's finale among female teens.

JenL1625

JenL1625

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2010 @ 8:46 PM

If these girls are in the 9th grade and are 14, then that is one very creepy teacher.

I think they're supposed to be 16-year old juniors. The one who renovated the barn loft (Spencer?) said that her parents had said she could live out there her junior year. Now, I don't know who lets their daughter move out to the barn before she graduates from high school, but I can't imagine the callousness of parents who tell their daughter that she can renovate the barn and live there, then let the sister tell her that they've changed their minds and sister's going to be living there instead.

but besides the way the girls looked (Emily's supposed to be a redhead, Spencer and Melissa are blondes, and Hanna has auburn hair) and how much time has passed between Alison's disappearance and when the notes start appearing (book is 4 years, show is 1), everything wasn't that inconsistent.

There was some oddness about how they talked about how long it's been. It almost seemed like they changed their mind partway through. For instance, the reporter said that the family confirmed that the gazebo was being built "the summer that Allison disappeared" rather than "last summer, when Allison disappeared"...

I figured it can't be any of the girls because they all got text messages and why would A send a text message to herself. It can't be Aliison because she's dead unless ghosts can send texts to people.

The girl that didn't get a text would be under suspicion from the other girls, so if "-A" has any intelligence, she'll send herself texts and arrange to be spotted getting a disturbing note. As for Allison, I was wondering whether she could possibly have faked her body. I mean, it seems ridiculous that a 15-year-old could arrange to hide a body and make it look like hers, but this is a show that asks us to believe that these "girls" are 16... In that context, I think there's room to question whether the police actually checked dental records, etc., or just went off "body, girl, right size-ish, right clothes, in Allison's backyard = Allison".

sweetpd7

sweetpd7

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2010 @ 9:04 PM

Spencer is a family name. My BFF in high school had that last name. Family names tend to be used for M or F, but it does seem more appropriate as a guy's name. I didn't know any of the girls, except Tamara Sursok (sp.?). The leads look so much alike that I kept staring at the brunettes figuring out why I didn't recognize her. But she plays the girl that was injured by Allison, or the group, that has dark sunglasses on. I suppose she's blind.

Along with many of you, I'll only watch this because it's summer programming. It doesn't seem to be particularly riveting or innovative. If the leads grow on me and I can finally tell them apart, I may watch a few episodes longer. I wasn't very taken with the pilot.

KaveDweller

KaveDweller

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2010 @ 9:09 PM

I did notice that they did not show us (or any of the main girls) the body. On the street, the cops were moving a covered body and at the funeral, the coffin was closed.

naneki78

naneki78

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2010 @ 9:19 PM

I did notice that they did not show us (or any of the main girls) the body. On the street, the cops were moving a covered body and at the funeral, the coffin was closed.

Well, it had been a year, so...ew.

I don't understand why they couldn't go with the original premise of the books and have Ali disappear when she was 13. Hearing nothing for 3 years is much creepier, imho, than not hearing anything for a year, from "A". I guess they didn't want to hire 2 sets of actors for flash-backs, etc.?

It wasn't that bad. It's summer after all, so I don't expect my programming to be cerebral.

Edited by naneki78, Jun 9, 2010 @ 9:19 PM.

Writer13

Writer13

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2010 @ 9:37 PM

I had to IMDB because I knew that I knew the actress from somewhere. I wish I could explain how horrified I was when I realized I remembered her best as Rhonda, Tamara Mowry's nemesis from Sister, Sister in 1995.

That's how I know her! And yeah, she does not look like a high school student. At first, I thought she was an adult and was going to act as a mentor for Emily(?).

All of the characters are confusing to me...they look so similar. Who is Mona and was she in any way affiliated with Ali?

Aria and the teacher...um, dude, you need to stop making out with your student, whom--by the way--you've only known for a few days.

I suppose I'll continue to watch because I need to find out who/where Ali is and the whole story with Jenna. Or I could find a summary of the books...

Edited by Writer13, Jun 9, 2010 @ 9:38 PM.

amybeth5251

amybeth5251

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2010 @ 9:52 PM

There was some oddness about how they talked about how long it's been. It almost seemed like they changed their mind partway through. For instance, the reporter said that the family confirmed that the gazebo was being built "the summer that Allison disappeared" rather than "last summer, when Allison disappeared"...

I remember going to the Pretty Little Liars page on IMDB when I heard they were making the TV Series (I've read all the books too). At that time, they had roles as "Young Allison", "Young Hannah", etc. It makes me think that the original pilot did include two sets of actresses (which fits in better with the books - each book begins with a flashback from when they were younger). However, I have a feeling that the scenes were re-filmed with the current actresses and the timeframe was cut from 3 years to 1 because they thought the audience may not be smart enough to understand that these were the same characters being played by multiple actresses. That would explain the strangeness of the gazebo quote, which I picked up on too.

Edited by amybeth5251, Jun 9, 2010 @ 9:53 PM.