Pretty Little Liars

• Please log in to reply

19183 replies to this topic

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Moderator

Posted Mar 19, 2014 @ 8:29 PM

Just a quick note because it seems to be an ongoing problem with this thread and I'd rather just post once and address it instead of giving out warnings here and there:

Please spell out curse words. Don't use asterisks to mask them. Everyone knows what word you mean. If you're grown up enough to post here, you're grown up enough to read the word fuck. PM me if you have questions.

brunax5

brunax5

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 11:14 AM

You and me both. How good would this be? Incredibly.

I'm convinced there's something fishy about Aria, I don't know what, but she's hiding something.

The way the show has had the liars point out that Aria is the best liar (more than once if I'm not mistaken), the toffee(sp?) ice cream hint, how Aria is consistently the least harmed by A, also I'm sure the fact that Aria is the one making the "shhh" sign in the opening credits and promo pictures will play out somehow.

I find very interesting the similarities between Aria and Alison and my one true hope for this show is that they keep exploring this more.

Edited by brunax5, May 10, 2012 @ 11:17 AM.

WhitneyWhit

WhitneyWhit

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 1:37 AM

I think my favorite part of the trailer is Ezra telling Aria she's safe. Safe from what? The irony there is mind blowing because Aria was never in any danger. She could have just ignored the girls and A would probably have left her alone.

T Scrumptious

T Scrumptious

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 5:01 AM

The way the show has had the liars point out that Aria is the best liar (more than once if I'm not mistaken), the toffee(sp?) ice cream hint, how Aria is consistently the least harmed by A, also I'm sure the fact that Aria is the one making the "shhh" sign in the opening credits and promo pictures will play out somehow.

As much as I'd like for something interesting like this to happen, this is PLL we're talking about. After everything we've seen so far, do you really give them that much credit? I honestly don't think they have it in them.

Sakura12

Sakura12

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 12:56 PM

Before the finale I was all over Aria being part of the A team.
Spoiler

Because according to the creator instead of watching pretty people with dark secrets being stalked by a deranged psycho. We want to see more of Ezaria going through their we can't be together/we want to be together schtick (but now with other family members!)

Edited by TWoP Howard, May 11, 2012 @ 5:58 PM.
Added spoiler tags to book info

Crim

Crim

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 10:42 AM

also I'm sure the fact that Aria is the one making the "shhh" sign in the opening credits and promo pictures will play out somehow.

That might have been just a matter of Aria being played by Lucy Hale. Or maybe they did intend to go somewhere with it, but Aria is now the tween and teen favorite, so I think she is the least likely Liar to work for A. I doubt tweens are the right audience to confront with ethical conundrums. Besides...

As much as I'd like for something interesting like this to happen, this is PLL we're talking about. After everything we've seen so far, do you really give them that much credit? I honestly don't think they have it in them.

This. After seeing how hammered in the Mona clues were, I think TPTB are really not trying to be subtle with the major plot points. Sure, they'll have hidden clues and winks to readers of the books, but we have yet to see if those come down to anything significant.

Does anyone remember where the other Liars (except Hanna, ofc) were while Emily was on the receiving end of A's Frightening Fondling? Because that is the only moment when it's certain A was not Mona.

Jack Shaftoe

Jack Shaftoe

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 4:11 PM

I still don't get the appeal of Aria being a part of the A-team;. Why ruin the Liars friendship for the sake of a random plot twist? And since when there has been any indication of Aria being capable of elaborate plans and convincing lies? She only fooled her parents about Ezra because they are almost as self-involved as she is. Say what you will about MonA but even in S1 we already knew she had a ruthless streak and was conniving. Aria, on the other hand, is shown to be rather scared of Jenna in the pottery class when she wouldn't have to pretend for the other Liars' benefit, a bit scared of Duncan, shocked by Mikey's crime spree, etc. Unless we have a really bad case of a villain feigning surprise or shock for viewers' benefit, she can't be part of the A team.

I can't wait for S3. No other show offers quite the same mix of craziness and character development. I really wonder how they will deal with the MonA revelation, though. How will they keep the Liars against the world mentality when everyone knows about MonA? This being rosewood, though, I reckon everyone will think it was somehow the Liars' fault. I can't wait for Spencer going ballistic when she realizes it's not over, that there is A+. She might get drunk once again.

Anyone knows if Paige will be making a return for sure? It would be odd not to after her appearance at the end of S2 but one never knows. I liked Samara a lot more when I rewatched the episodes with her but Claire Holt seems busy with The Vampire Diaries. But the way the show is going, I wouldn't be surprised if Emily hooks up with Alison's twin (or Alison herself who is somehow alive) or Jenna or someone like that. :)

Edited by Jack Shaftoe, May 15, 2012 @ 4:53 PM.

ME Again

ME Again

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 5:01 PM

I am in the camp that doesn't want Aria to be A or on the A-team in any way. The four girls' friendship is my favorite part of this show and I don't want that to be destroyed by having Aria be involved with A. I love how the girls stay supportive of each other through thick and thin and obviously care deeply for each other. I love how there is no boyfriend stealing and they can work through all their fights that teenage girls have.

However, I am so on board with Ezra being on the A team...

mjgchick

mjgchick

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 2:26 PM

Ezra being A is boring to me but then I remember that he just took a childs virginity so it be creepy as well.

Aria and Ezra should go to Haiti and never come back.

My people deserve better. Lol

Edited by mjgchick, May 16, 2012 @ 2:31 PM.

Endless Dreamer

Endless Dreamer

Just Tuned In

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 4:07 AM

Not that I care about the TCA's, but I don't get why Lucy and Ian got a nomination again this year. They are not the best actors on this show.

WhitneyWhit

WhitneyWhit

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 6:01 AM

Not that I care about the TCA's, but I don't get why Lucy and Ian got a nomination again this year. They are not the best actors on this show.

The TCA's are not about quality. I wouldn't even consider Lucy and Ian to be the lead actors on the show, but for some reason they're extremely popular with the tween crowd.

brunax5

brunax5

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 11:11 AM

I'm rewatching season 2 and almost had a heart attack when Mona called Aria "Big A"! They may not make Aria actually part of the A-team, but I'd love if they continue to make this a running gag!

Did we ever find out what was going on with Melissa in the beggining of the season? Is it possible A was playing with her pretending Ian was alive? Melissa does get painkillers with Wren for some reason.

Also, more than ever I think the baby is Garret's (or at least he thinks it is) because Melissa sneaks out to meet someone to show the ultrasound pic, and it can't be Ian. I forgot how suspicious Jason seemed at first what with saying Melissa came to visit him and the bloody bandages on his trash.

Edited by brunax5, May 21, 2012 @ 8:55 AM.

taanja

taanja

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 1:51 PM

I wouldn't even consider Lucy and Ian to be the lead actors on the show, but for some reason they're extremely popular with the tween crowd.

They are popular with me and I'm not a tween. or a teen or in my twenties.

had a heart attack when Mona called Aria "Big A"!

It's fun to speculate that Aria is on the A Team but I agree with others that I love the girls and their friendship. It is one of the best things about this show IMO. I think I would be a little upset if the friendship is trashed just for shock value. And Aria being A would be shocking.

Now if Ezra turns out to be part of the A team---you will hear me saying Yay! all the way over here!

Edited by taanja, May 21, 2012 @ 1:52 PM.

brunax5

brunax5

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 9:47 AM

It's fun to speculate that Aria is on the A Team but I agree with others that I love the girls and their friendship.

I don't actually want the girls' friendship to be ruined either, but I think Aria being part of the A-team could be done in a way that would make her a grey character and not just for shock value.

Like, for instance, during the "Big A" conversation, Aria tells Mona very firmly that "she won't help her with Hanna" or something along those lines which makes me think she could very well love her friends genuinely. From what we've seen, the A-team is not one big happy family (to this day I think the Mona/Noel/Jenna triangle was a power struggle inside that circle and Ian was a casuality), so I could buy Aria being part of the group but having her own agenda that is not about hurting the girls, or at least agreeing to go along as long as the hurting that is done is not serious. So like everytime something major happens (Hanna gets hit by a car, Spencer almost dies, Emily gets poisoned) she turns coat for a while and sticks with the girls.

I know it's a stretch but I believe it could be done.

Sure, at first the girls would be shaken to the core, but I think it would be cool if after explanations were made, they'd have a "inside woman" (Aria) and that's how eventually they'd take down that group.

MartinisNShoes

MartinisNShoes

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 10:31 AM

So photography class is pretentious but college classes at Hillis is not? Oookay.

How is taking college classes pretentious? For a student like Spencer, who gets great grades and is likely trying to attend a top institution, taking college classes seems like par for the course.

Can't wait for Mona and Hanna's scene, it looks like another amazing scene like the one where Hanna finally told Ali she doesn't need her any more

Me too! I'm really interested in seeing the confrontation and Hanna's general reaction to her friend being A. I'm also interested to see what, if any, explanation Mona's explanation gives and her reaction to being caught. In the books
Spoiler

The TCA's are not about quality. I wouldn't even consider Lucy and Ian to be the lead actors on the show, but for some reason they're extremely popular with the tween crowd.

I agree. I believe Lucy Hale had the larger/more recognizable resume coming into the show with her having been on a CW show and being on that Disney show for a bit. Troian and Shay were basically unknown and while Ashley had been on a soap she wasn't really known outside the soap world, so I think to some extent Lucy was/is the bigger "star" for the TCA demographic. (Although now that Ashley Benson is rolling with the Beiber crew she's probably closing the gap.)

I am in the camp that doesn't want Aria to be A or on the A-team in any way. The four girls' friendship is my favorite part of this show and I don't want that to be destroyed by having Aria be involved with A.

I have to agree here. While it would be nice to see Aria finally do something that isn't completely boring to me I think one of the key things in the show is the girls' friendships. So while I'm all for a surprise member of the A-team or a great twist (I'm looking at you Ezra!), I don't want to see any of the girls be a member.

You know despite my hatred for the finale I'm rather pumped for the show's return!

Edited by MartinisNShoes, May 22, 2012 @ 10:33 AM.

taanja

taanja

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 11:53 AM

You know despite my hatred for the finale I'm rather pumped for the show's return!

I loved the finale but I too am pumped for the return! I keep myself completely unspoiled so I have no clue what to expect. This show is such a rollercoaster ride it keeps me guessing!

Sakura12

Sakura12

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 12:46 PM

See I'm different, if Aria is going to be part of the A-Team I want her part of the A-Team. I don't want them to wuss out and say Aria was doing the less mean and less harmful things. At that point they should just keep Aria completely oblivious and in her own selfish little world.

Aria and Ezra being part of the A-Team would make them both more interesting because now it feels like they are on a completely different show. Even if you like them, losing both of them wouldn't hurt the overall plot of the show at all.

The other three are deeply connected to the mystery, Spencer with her entire family being guilty of having something to do with Alison's death, Emily being in love with Alison and now having her girlfriend murdered by A, and Hanna's former BFF is A!

So where's Aria's involvement in all that? That she's sometimes friends with them when it's convenient for her. I don't even hate Aria, I just find her character useless.

Edited by Sakura12, May 22, 2012 @ 12:46 PM.

brunax5

brunax5

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 1:34 PM

So where's Aria's involvement in all that? That she's sometimes friends with them when it's convenient for her. I don't even hate Aria, I just find her character useless.

That's precisely why I'm desperate for something to make Aria's character interesting.

I got a friend addicted to the show (she's in the second season and watched the first 12 episodes in one weekend LOL) and one of the first things she commented is how Meh she find Aria and Ezra.

I'm also one of those who loved the finale and I'm so excited for the show to be back!

Edited by brunax5, May 22, 2012 @ 1:38 PM.

taanja

taanja

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 3:53 PM

At my house we love Aria/Ezra...well the perversion of it all anyway. Good times. Making Ezra part of the A team would be awesome in my opinion.

keep Aria completely oblivious and in her own selfish little world.

Please?! I think that right there is the main reason I love me some Aria. I love that shit happens all around her and she's just la la la it's no about me so I'm not listening!

Just talking about PLL's make me giddy with anticipation.

Jack Shaftoe

Jack Shaftoe

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 4:47 PM

I could buy Aria being part of the group but having her own agenda that is not about hurting the girls, or at least agreeing to go along as long as the hurting that is done is not serious.

Then she should have left the A-team after 1.10 at the very latest. And really, to me such undecided Aria sounds even worse than Totally Evil!Aria. If she knows who the members of the A team are, likes Spencer, Hanna and Emily for real and doesn't want to see them hurt why doesn't she switch sides? Why did she join the A-Team in the first place? Just implying that the texts are from Alison is a rather severe form of psychological warfare, it's not just some harmless teenage prank. Aria would have to be just as messed up as MonA to believe she can be a friend of the other three Liars and a part of the A team. I know it's Rosewood but I don't think we need yet another sociopath. Someone needs to stay sane in this town.

How is taking college classes pretentious? For a student like Spencer, who gets great grades and is likely trying to attend a top institution, taking college classes seems like par for the course.

Especially considering that Hanna mentioned Spencer was taking classes at Hollis way back when we first saw them in the pilot.

I Am A

I Am A

Channel Surfer

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 4:40 AM

I think we're going for the wrong one on the Ezria front; I'm convinced it's Ezra who Jenna goes to see and she's the older man she was fucking and when she texts Aria it's from Ezra's phone, but she follows to listen to their conversation. Or something.

Sara Sunshine

Sara Sunshine

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 12:40 PM

Sneak Peek

dw mckim

dw mckim

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 9:54 PM

I've been spending the season break doing a rereading of the books and decided to read the latest one (Pretty Little Secrets, which takes place between books four and five) in between #4 and #5. As usually happens when a flashback installment is thought up and written later down the line, i expected some minor continuity glitches mostly in the form of interpersonal relationship dynamics but wow...there was hardly an attempt to make it work.

If i was Sara Shephard, the first thing i would have done is look back at book 5 and pay attention to the bits that talked about what the characters did in between the space of the last book and that one (basically Christmas vacation) and written the new stories based on those preset parameters but she didn't even really seem to try - so if you read PLS before the 5th book like i did this go-round, it gets real jarring when the references to Christmas vacation happen and they're in direct contradiction. Normally this wouldn't bother me so much but given this is the mystery genre where everything should fit like a jigsaw, i get very bothered by inconsistencies and makes me lose faith in any upcoming books by SS. I'm actually pretty thankful she's not involved with the writing of the show.

The first four books were pretty tight but once the book series got extended, the second (and probably the third) four-book arc gets really implausible (that the book's "new A" would have been able to not only do eveything on their own but also without being detected/noticed by others) - so now that the series has basically covered the #1-4 arc, i'm hoping they follow the book series much less from here on out.
t
Also been rewatching episodes during the break. The most interesting contrast between BookMona and ShowMona is that in the books she was blond so during the many times a PLL thinks they caught a glimpse of Ali-like blond hair, we can look back and know it was Mona. Yet on the show there was still that moment in the pilot where Spencer sees someone with long blond hair in the window of Ali's old/Maya's current house and i hope that still eventually gets explained. (Hey, we've never seen Maya's parents or non-existent-in-the-show brother so maybe one of her family members just have extravagant tastes in wearing wigs)

Even though it's never really implied in either the books or show, i'd bet any money that when Mona was shoplifting with Hanna, Mona had actually prepurchased the things she was supposedly "stealing" and had the receipts on her in case she got caught along with/instead of Hanna.

Speaking of the books, are there any good forums for them (a twop equivalent for book discussion?)

Edited by dw mckim, May 23, 2012 @ 9:58 PM.

I Am A

I Am A

Channel Surfer

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 2:32 AM

ignore this, oops!

taanja

taanja

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 11:22 AM

It's the double standard I was objecting to. Aria has been shown to take classes at Hollis and next season she will be taking photography classes. But because her classes are in the arts she is "pretentious" but when Spencer takes classes at Hollis she is not. Just felt the need to stick up for my girl Aria, the self-involved little airhead that she is. Picking on her is like picking on a toddler. LOL.

RichardAK

RichardAK

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 1:01 PM

I'm looking forward to the new season, but, for the record, I am a man of simple tastes: Just give me plenty of Spencer being especially Spencery, and I shall be happy.

kariyaki

kariyaki

Stalker

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 1:03 PM

I want Drunk Spencer back. Give me Drunk Spencer and that's all I will need to be happy.

Maxbird

Maxbird

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 3:27 PM

I was wondering - did anyone besides we the audience and whoever she was with see Jenna driving? Does everyone know she can see or can she continue to pretend to be blind?

I don't want Aria to be connected with A unless she's being horribly threatened with death or something. The friendship of the girls is paramount to me. Now if Ezra is an A, that could be really interesting. And frankly, I think Aria and Hanna arguing with their parents about realistic things (dates and phones) is a nice relief from the murderous A games at times. I shake my head over Aria as much as the next guy, however, she did go off in a teeny plane with a weird guy who could have instantly killed her so I guess she isn't totally self-absorbed, only 99% of the time.

I'm going to regret Mona being locked up in the bin because I enjoyed her hanging around with Hanna and being annoying. I think I'd like more Melissa too as she creeps me out almost as much as Jenna. And please bring back Noel Kahn - some of us just like looking at him.

Jack Shaftoe

Jack Shaftoe

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 4:21 PM

Aria started taking classes at Hollis so she would have more chances to hold hands with Ezra. I don't know if pretentious is the right word but it certainly didn't have much to do with any love for pottery or whatever she was supposed to be studying. I hope she will get to spend some time with Spencer at Hollis, even if they are enlisted in different classes. We need more of Team Sparia indulging in a little Spencering.

I am a man of simple tastes: Just give me plenty of Spencer being especially Spencery, and I shall be happy.

Yes, that's my philosophy too.

I'm going to regret Mona being locked up in the bin because I enjoyed her hanging around with Hanna and being annoying.

Yes, me too. She could make fairly pointless scenes quite hilarious indeed. Like in 2.02. when Aria asks her "Don't you read newspapers or listen to the news?" and Mona immediately says "No", as if this is the most natural thing in the world. I am not sure why but that scene made me laugh out loud.. Mona driving Spencer insane in the epsiode with the fashion show was also priceless.

Maxbird

Maxbird

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 9:40 PM

I hope she will get to spend some time with Spencer at Hollis, even if they are enlisted in different classes. We need more of Team Sparia indulging in a little Spencering.

Will the upcoming "season" take place during the summer break? I get totally confused by the timeline on this show. It sure would be nice to see Aria back on the team with Spencer the Fierce. I don't like for her to be off in her own separate little Ezra show half the time, although I don't want her to lose her clueless personality. You are right on Mona and the pointless scenes being hilarious. My all time favorites with her are when she gets into Eddie Haskell mode with Ashley and tries to charm her and Ashley just looks at her with slightly raised eyebrows. The girl is talented, for me she went from pathetic clingy wannabe to oddly endearing.

epcarie

epcarie

Channel Surfer

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 1:00 AM

And please bring back Noel Kahn - some of us just like looking at him.

I'd just like to second this ;) I don't even care what he's doing, he just needs to be there. I've always wondered if he'll end up dating one of the Liars.

Will the upcoming "season" take place during the summer break? I get totally confused by the timeline on this show.

Yes, it starts June 5th.

Edited by epcarie, May 27, 2012 @ 1:01 AM.