Pretty Little Liars

• Please log in to reply

19188 replies to this topic

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Moderator

Posted Mar 19, 2014 @ 8:29 PM

Just a quick note because it seems to be an ongoing problem with this thread and I'd rather just post once and address it instead of giving out warnings here and there:

Please spell out curse words. Don't use asterisks to mask them. Everyone knows what word you mean. If you're grown up enough to post here, you're grown up enough to read the word fuck. PM me if you have questions.

Maxbird

Maxbird

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2010 @ 9:19 PM

[snip]
LOL on the "pick your stupid action game". Tis typical suspense show stuff, do the dumbest thing possible. Oh, you heard your friend screaming in the dark basement? Don't call the cops or run get in your car and leave, walk on trembling legs down into the dark basement, at which time you realize the power and phone lines have been cut.

Interesting theory on Fitz the horny teacher being A. I can't imagine what his motive would be and Aria never shared her friends' secrets with him but very very interesting and he sure was acting insane a couple episodes ago when he got so mad and wouldn't let her in his apartment or listen to anything she had to say. And I think the one letter or something was type written on and old typewriter like he has so I dismissed him as too obvious. But he did appear to be hiding something in his apartment.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Jul 17, 2010 @ 12:16 AM.
Boards-on-boards

DS1

DS1

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2010 @ 9:29 PM

Fitz being "A" would at least make him seem not so dim, which might be necessary, if he may be staying around long-term on the show.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Jul 16, 2010 @ 11:54 PM

If you don't always check the homepage, be aware that weecaps for the show are here.

A quick note on spoilers, for those familiar with the books:
In the past we've treated book adaptations kind of like a US remake of a British series—so you should use spoiler tags when discussing the plot details of the original, since there's a good chance that some of them will wind up in the adaptation.

You don't need to go nuts and spoiler-tag even things like "there's an awesome battle in the third book" or "this show character seems to be a blend of several people from the novels" or other minor details that aren't revealing specifics about the plot. Basically, use common sense: if you're predicting (or strongly implying) what will happen in the series because of your knowledge of the books, you should use spoiler tags.

Also, if someone isn’t following the spoiler policy, please report it in Forum Traffic Court or PM a mod. Don’t discuss it in thread. That’s boards-on-boards. Thanks!

MaryLennox84

MaryLennox84

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 17, 2010 @ 12:40 AM

The person who is A in the books isn't getting a lot of screentime on the TV show, which makes me wonder if they've changed who A is...at least the first A.

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2010 @ 11:55 AM

Pinned! Cool! The show rates it (and maybe full coverage someday).

All these A theories are great, but like the identity of Gossip Girl, I'm starting to wonder if its really ever intended to come out (at least on the TV version of these shows) and wouldn't make any real sense if it did. As surprisingly well crafted as this show is overall, I honestly think people should go into it knowing that either A will never come out, or will have a lot of holes/problems with it if she or he does. Really, we should just enjoy the ride, because the destination doesn't really seem to be the point here...

Nightmare Logic

Nightmare Logic

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2010 @ 3:30 PM

Such and overachiever, such an workaholic, such a screwed up family, I'm completely fascinated by her.

That's what I like about Spencer, she kinda does deserve her comeuppance but you feel for her when she gets it. Plus her sister is really mean to her.

I apparently am the only person who actually likes the Maya/Emily pairing. Then again I'm so over the angsty boy toy. Yes you are hot and have that woe is me thing going on, but still I'm kinda more into the sweet enough to give you cavities Maya/Emily romance, but that's just me. (Then again I don't really care that the actress that plays Maya is like 30, she doesn't look it.)

Edited by Nightmare Logic, Jul 17, 2010 @ 3:43 PM.

Kirsty 1986

Kirsty 1986

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 17, 2010 @ 4:26 PM

I'm glad this thread is an "important topic". Great show. For some reason I just love Emily's character! I'm hoping to read the books very soon :)

Niuxita

Niuxita

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2010 @ 5:43 PM

I apparently am the only person who actually likes the Maya/Emily pairing. Then again I'm so over the angsty boy toy. Yes you are hot and have that woe is me thing going on, but still I'm kinda more into the sweet enough to give you cavities Maya/Emily romance, but that's just me. (Then again I don't really care that the actress that plays Maya is like 30, she doesn't look it.)

Ohh, you're not! It's not the best acted storyline, but I agree that there's a sweetness to it (or, there was until it got angsty and confusing). Plus, there are so few teen lesbian romances on TV that I'm inclined to just take whatever I can get. It helps that Bianca Lawson's age doesn't bother me at all, and to me she doesn't look as egregiously old as some seem to think. I hope they follow through with it and that they don't drop the issue of Emily's sexuality eventually (although I read somewhere that Emily's gonna have a coming out episode later on, so that gives me hope). And yeah, Toby's angst is certainly overdone and tiresome AND he creeps me the fuck out. He makes me want Emily to stay the hell away from him.

Brakchi

Brakchi

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2010 @ 11:50 PM

No you aren't. I think the screenwriters have done an exceptional job of allowing the viewers to fill in the holes and in many ways it has created a very similar scenario to what Heroes did. I love that. To me it challenges preconcieved notions yet the writers have not cheated the audience imo.

A great example is Toby. Everything about the character is a joke to the point of being both a parody of the infamous misunderstood angsty boy stereotype and a critique of it. The writers don't cheat the audience though. They offer the red flag. The dialogue by Toby hints strongly that Toby's apparent sensitivity is more a case of rationalization. It was enought that I knew right off the bat he had some sexual secret. Now I thought it could be that he was gay for a bit but that did not quite work because he was attempting rationalization with Emily's situation. If it is the same thing than why attempt rationalization while mantaining distance on the subject? So it became what is Toby's secret and why is he attempting to rationalize it. I like it when scripts do that - instead of purposefully leading or misleading the writers allow viewers the opportunity to figure it out or mislead themselves (the best example I have ever seen is The Way the Crow Flies which got me).

I also like that no chemistry is established between Emily and Toby. They don't even hint at it allowing projection to fill that void which makes the revelation about Toby unsettling only if the holes are filled in. Some props have to go to the actor who basically detaches completely from Emily in their scenes (there is detachment on all their scenes). When compared with Maya and Emily, a relationship that has strong chemistry, it is intriguing. By disallowing Toby and Emily an ounce of written or acted chemistry, the screenwriters have allowed hole filling again.

Then you have Maya. She offers pot to Emily which means that a chance to take a significant leap is offered. What a brilliant move because it allows the audience to take the leap but doesn't really lead them. Then they have scenes of requited flirtation. So to see Maya as creepy or predator, Emily's say in her own life must be completely devalued. I love this because it questions the very notion of how women and their sexuality are respected (in this case a person being lesbian or bi). Haven't read the book but the next part is spoiled because I am pretty sure they will go there I think they are offering this already as a sign that Emily's Mom will not accept her say in her own life - the devaluation of Emily's being makes sense based on the way the prior scripts have been written . This angle of devaluation of Emily is interesting in relation to how the Maya lesbian predator stereotype is upended. When asked for space, Maya completely understands. This undermines that the scarf scene is based in dominance. Emily's behavior is solely based on a fear of being outed. That Maya completely understands and ends the burgeoning romance demonstrates that Maya's gift is just that - a gift. The notion of the lesbian predator is ridiculed. To get there must mean an assignment of certain characteristics to Maya that, when viewed in retrospect, do not exist (similar to the misread by the owners in Pacific Heights to the man who turns out to be a police officer). But more so, Maya's response shows that she is not devaluing Emily's being.

This is scriptwriting that is smart because it is using preconceived notions to supply surprise while not attempting to fool those that go by the action on screen. It also questions those preconceived notions and how gender and sexuality and years of specific media images influence them. This is delicious stuff.

It helps that Bianca Lawson's age doesn't bother me at all, and to me she doesn't look as egregiously old as some seem to think.

The only friends I have that have said she looks old are those that recognize her from Buffy. I've asked friends who they think is the oldest actress and all, who are not aware of Bianca Lawson's real age, have said Spencer. When I ask about Maya, most go 20 or 21. Some women and men look a lot younger than their age. Stacy Dash was an example of that.

And yeah, Toby's angst is certainly overdone and tiresome AND he creeps me the fuck out. He makes me want Emily to stay the hell away from him.

I think it is meant to be overdone and tiresome and creepy for that matter. It is hard not to laugh at pretty much every scene with him because it is played to the hilt but then it does seem an invite to invest him with other characteristics that are not present.

Edited by Brakchi, Jul 18, 2010 @ 1:37 AM.

keeperrox

keeperrox

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 18, 2010 @ 6:22 AM

The only friends I have that have said she looks old are those that recognize her from Buffy. I've asked friends who they think is the oldest actress and all, who are not aware of Bianca Lawson's real age, have said Spencer. When I ask about Maya, most go 20 or 21. Some women and men look a lot younger than their age. Stacy Dash was an example of that.

YMMV and all obviously, but I didn't recognize Bianca Lawson from anything (didn't realize she had a 3-ep arc in Buffy 13 years ago and only watched the original run of SBTB in repeats), and in the pilot, I immediately thought, "Wow, she has some serious smile lines. There is no way I can buy her as a teenager." When I looked her up on IMDb and saw that not only is she 31, but she first played a teenager over 18 years ago, it made more sense. Lately, they've been filming her in a softer light or something, because she doesn't look as harsh, but I still can't get that initial image out of my mind, and the actor isn't helping with the way she's portraying her character; from voice inflections, to mannerisms, to even the way she carries herself, it all screams, "I'M NOT SIXTEEN!!!"

I did, however, recognize Troian from NCIS (as McGee's college-age sister), and even at 25, I can absolutely buy her as a teenager. Maybe not 16, but definitely still in HS. I taught high school for 4 years, and I now teach middle school, but Spencer acts more like a high schooler as well, whether that's a good thing or not. I still fully stand behind my opinion that this has 99% to do with the actors portraying the characters, not the writing.

Unfortunately, this does affect my enjoyment of their scenes. When Spencer is on, I'm intrigued and want to find out more about her and what her character will do. When Maya is in a scene, all I can think is, "Uggg, your acting sucks and you can't get off my screen fast enough." This is really too bad, because in concept, I really like the storyline of Maya and Emily, but neither actor (Lawson nor the simpering Shay Mitchell) has the chops to pull it off in a way that will do either of the characters justice.

Edited by keeperrox, Jul 18, 2010 @ 6:26 AM.

good spellar

good spellar

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 18, 2010 @ 6:25 AM

OK, so at the beginning of 1x02 when they're all in Luke's Diner, Spencer says that Ali was seeing an older guy the summer she disappeared and that he had a girlfriend. So it could have been Ezra. He might have got fed up with Ali's games, maybe she jeopardized his relationship and he lost the plot and killed her. Doesn't really make much sense why he'd be trying to harass the girls though, if he killed her he'd want to leave the whole thing alone. Or, he might not have killed her but was all batshit crazy for her and suspects that one of her BFFs did it so he's hanging around to get to the bottom of it, trying to smoke them out with all the texts and such, getting close to Aria to get some inside info. Clearly either way he'd be a couple of meatballs short of a sub. I don't know if I'd prefer him to be 'A' or not because while I know it's cliche and kinda icky, I find him and Aria slightly cute. I know, vomit vomit but I can't help it. But on the other hand, I can't deny the drama from him being all crazy would be better than the only other way I see Aria/Ezra ending - being found out, almost getting sent to jail but at the last minute being told just to leave town, sad Aria for half a season. No thanks. Either they should let them be a secret couple or he should be 'A'.

holo37

holo37

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2010 @ 8:35 AM

Wow Brakchi that sure is an in depth analysis. Most of which I totally disagree with ;)

Especially this:

I also like that no chemistry is established between Emily and Toby. They don't even hint at it allowing projection to fill that void which makes the revelation about Toby unsettling only if the holes are filled in. Some props have to go to the actor who basically detaches completely from Emily in their scenes (there is detachment on all their scenes). When compared with Maya and Emily, a relationship that has strong chemistry, it is intriguing. By disallowing Toby and Emily an ounce of written or acted chemistry, the screenwriters have allowed hole filling again.

I myself, see quite a bit of chemistry with Toby/Emily. To say the actor detaches completely from Emily seems quite a stretch. Now weather or not the chemistry is suppose to sexual/romantic seems completely up to the viewer at this point. I think it could go either way. Be it friendly, protective or revenge driven emotions, the attachment with Emily is defiantly there. Especially is comparison to the other girls. I do like that we aren't quite sure what he's feeling yet. But even if it's revenge driven it is causing him some pretty intense emotion, not detachment. I even heard it in his voice when he was trying to get her to stay listen to him in the chem-lab. It's possible it's not being written, although I think it is. But IMO, to say it's not being acted is something I find impossible to believe. I don't think I could be projecting that much.

It's refreshing to see such different opinons though.

JenL1625

JenL1625

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 18, 2010 @ 9:15 AM

When compared with Maya and Emily, a relationship that has strong chemistry, it is intriguing. By disallowing Toby and Emily an ounce of written or acted chemistry, the screenwriters have allowed hole filling again.

Personally, I think that Toby and Emily have a lot of chemistry. To me, both of them want to not have this chemistry - Toby doesn't want to connect to anyone, and Emily doesn't want to connect to him because of her pre-conceived ideas of him and because of his connection to Jenna. But they can't help liking each other. How far that would have gone without this "oooh, he has a scary secret so he's going to kill me in the middle of the school dance" ridiculousness, I would have liked to see. Maybe they wouldn't have become anything more than friends, but I saw a real friendship developing between them.

Then you have Maya. She offers pot to Emily which means that a chance to take a significant leap is offered. What a brilliant move because it allows the audience to take the leap but doesn't really lead them. Then they have scenes of requited flirtation. So to see Maya as creepy or predator, Emily's say in her own life must be completely devalued. I love this because it questions the very notion of how women and their sexuality are respected (in this case a person being lesbian or bi).

Wow, to me, that whole "wanna do pot?" scene was an immediate reason to distrust and dislike Maya. Not because she does pot. but because the whole scene seemed awkward and tense. It wasn't Emily expressing an interest and Maya offering, it was Maya offering at a time when Emily was vulnerable. And since then, the only time I've seen any chemistry between them was in the photo booth. The rest of the time, I see Emily either vacillating or pulling away from Maya. I don't see Emily making a choice to be with Maya, I see Maya going "you're lesbian, so why are you with a guy instead of with me?" as if Maya is Emily's only way of being true to herself. You know what, I can find a person completely hot and physically desirable, and choose not to be with that person for a lot of reasons. But I don't actually *see* Emily finding Maya hot or making a choice to be with Maya - I'm TOLD that Emily is attracted to her, but what I see on screen is Emily choosing to be with Toby and Maya rejecting that choice.

Oubliette5

Oubliette5

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 18, 2010 @ 10:16 AM

Brakchi ,

While I disagree with you (as in, I see little chemistry between Maya and Emily but quite a bit between Emily and Toby - which is why I think the scene where he turned on her/became threatening was so effective)... your analysis was incredibly insightful and will definitely make me see things differently and contemplate them more during the next episode (oh, let's be realistic, when I watch the next marathon and see all the shows again, because I am a sucker).

Let's be friends!

Also, like many of you, I am pleasantly surprised that I enjoy this show so much. I assumed it would be summer, ABC Family fluff, something to watch while I was doing something else and snark on excessively (see: the horrible Secret Life) - but I am finding I actually pay full attention and cannot wait for the next episode. I read theories here and am having a hard time keeping myself from seeking out book spoilers. When I finish my summer classes, I will so be reading the books (and I am 29!).

The show reminds me a lot of The Vampire Diaries - another show I thought would be fun but silly... and it pulls you in the same way. Things actually happen and the plot unfolds (on both shows) at a quick pace, unlike so many other shows! I mostly watch British TV shows, because they tend to have much shorter seasons and must therefore fit in a lot more per episode in terms of plot development. I really wish more shows (*cough* Lost, The Gates, *cough*) had gone this route.

QueenCharisma

QueenCharisma

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2010 @ 3:03 PM

When compared with Maya and Emily, a relationship that has strong chemistry, it is intriguing. By disallowing Toby and Emily an ounce of written or acted chemistry, the screenwriters have allowed hole filling again.

[snip] Bianca Lawson and Shay Mitchell are two of the weakest actors on the show and whenever they're on I see a big void of suck, not chemistry. [snip] The sad thing is, I think the in-depth analysis would be spot on if the roles were cast with young women who could actually emote. The chick who plays Hanna should've gotten the bisexual storyline - she would've rocked it.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Jul 20, 2010 @ 9:17 PM.
Boards-on-boards

Sharon

Sharon

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2010 @ 3:08 PM

Director/editor Norman Buckley wrote an extensive blog post (w. photos) detailing the two PLL episodes he directed:

Hopper and Teen Noir:
http://buckleybullet...-teen-noir.html

Brakchi

Brakchi

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2010 @ 5:34 PM

[snip] I go by what is shown and spoken and demonstrated. For example, with Toby, the reason I caught on immediately that he had a sexual secret was the discussions with Emily. Emily's misread on him is understandable because she desperately wants someone who is understanding of her feelings and nonjudgemental. Therefore she confuses Toby's rationalization with a selfless sensitivity. I wouldn't dare to say that liking Toby and Emily is solely based on a tendency for the emo guy archetype to work (the emo guy archetype being the next step up from nonthreatening nice boy). I think the writers deserve credit for allowing the space for the audience to project what is not there which is fun stuff. That does not mean I always agree with that style. However in a case where surprises are desired, it is crucial to get there without cheating the audience. In this they have been successful imo.

Wow, to me, that whole "wanna do pot?" scene was an immediate reason to distrust and dislike Maya. Not because she does pot. but because the whole scene seemed awkward and tense. It wasn't Emily expressing an interest and Maya offering, it was Maya offering at a time when Emily was vulnerable.

It would not have been nice of Maya not to offer a joint to Emily when she is partaking herself. To me that would be downright rude. It also would have been a bit rude for Emily to ask. I love that line in Winter's Bone "Never ask for what ought to be offered." Maya offered because it was the polite thing to do. I do think the pot scene serves a purpose though allowing a leap. As if something nefarious would come out of it (ala Reefer Madness) or that the very notion of pot points to being bad. As for Emily's vulnerability, I don't see her as a porcelain doll that has to be handled with over the top caution. I don't want to disrespect the character because this is a young woman.

The rest of the time, I see Emily either vacillating or pulling away from Maya. I don't see Emily making a choice to be with Maya, I see Maya going "you're lesbian, so why are you with a guy instead of with me?" as if Maya is Emily's only way of being true to herself.

Maya gave space when she understood Emily wanted it. She also went only to the dance because Hannah advised her. I haven't seen Maya act out of line at all. If anything she has been very nonconfrontational. I would expect Maya to be hurt. Based on what we have been shown, Emily is attracted to Maya and she has given signs of having fallen for Maya. So for Maya to see Emily with a boy at the dance (and with Maya, just as the audience is, more than aware that Emily's hesitation is solely based on the fear of being outed as queer), she should feel hurt.

You know what, I can find a person completely hot and physically desirable, and choose not to be with that person for a lot of reasons. But I don't actually *see* Emily finding Maya hot or making a choice to be with Maya - I'm TOLD that Emily is attracted to her, but what I see on screen is Emily choosing to be with Toby and Maya rejecting that choice.

In the context of the show, Emily's want to distant herself from Maya have occurred due to the fear of being outed. Emily is therefore allowing others to influence her choices. As for choosing to be with Toby, they have shown zero sexual attraction by Emily to Toby at this point. I certainly don't want Emily to end up with someone who she is not into sexually because he appears sensitive and is not a woman.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Jul 20, 2010 @ 9:26 PM.
Removed deleted quote

JenL1625

JenL1625

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 18, 2010 @ 6:02 PM

It would not have been nice of Maya not to offer a joint to Emily when she is partaking herself. To me that would be downright rude. It also would have been a bit rude for Emily to ask.

Ah. Yeah. I guess I've just been on the wrong end of someone pulling out pot and smoking when I couldn't get away from it (given that the truck was moving down the freeway) - and I just can't breath in smoke like that. So I didn't think it was rude to pull out pot without offering it, I thought it was rude to pull out the pot without first asking if she was okay with it. I've had friends that smoked, and not a one of them ever pulled it out in front of me without asking first. (It takes family to pull a stunt like that, at least in my experience.) If you can't wait to take a smoke, either ask her outside whether she's interested, or wait until she's left, or just don't invite her in...

TheLabRat

TheLabRat

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2010 @ 6:08 PM

I totally get what you're saying there but she did ask if Emily minded if she smoked. I was just surprised she offered her some after that since Emily seemed a little uncomfortable.

mauvemarauder

mauvemarauder

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 18, 2010 @ 7:00 PM

I just feel like the Maya storyline isn't being executed very well... Like, isn't she supposed to be bi with a boyfriend? I wish they would tell us if they've broken up (likely with the distance) or what. Also, I wish they would explain why Maya is certain Emily is a lesbian when she herself is bi. Because as it is now, to me, it comes off as an arrogance thing. Like "No way, you could want to be with him unless your deeply shamed because I am that awesome".

For whatever reason, Emily seems more fascinated and willing to defy social norms (at least those at school where Toby= creeper) for Toby than Maya- which without more background or chemistry I the viewer chalks up to disinterest. My high school friend who's gay tuned into this show after I recommended it and her disappointment in the weakness of the storyline has really passed onto me.

QueenCharisma

QueenCharisma

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2010 @ 7:45 PM

I think the writers deserve credit for allowing the space for the audience to project what is not there which is fun stuff.

This I do agree with you on.

For whatever reason, Emily seems more fascinated and willing to defy social norms (at least those at school where Toby= creeper) for Toby than Maya- which without more background or chemistry I the viewer chalks up to disinterest.

THIS. And then it doesn't help that Shay has maybe one or two facial expressions so it's hard to know what the character's supposed to be feeling when dialogue isn't in the picture. We're told one thing and shown another.

Brakchi

Brakchi

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2010 @ 8:42 PM

Like "No way, you could want to be with him unless your deeply shamed because I am that awesome".

Based on Maya's discussion with Emily that night where Maya gave her space, I would not expect Maya to have any other reading. Emily demonstrated she had fallen for Maya but cut her off solely due to fear of being outed. So when Emily shows up at a dance with a boy, Maya having that reading makes complete sense with the exclusion of the "awesome" part. I don't think Maya's ego (she has not presented herself as having a big ego in any regard that I have seen) plays into it. What plays into it is Maya's comprehension that Emily distanced herself solely due to fears of sexuality.

For whatever reason, Emily seems more fascinated and willing to defy social norms (at least those at school where Toby= creeper) for Toby than Maya- which without more background or chemistry I the viewer chalks up to disinterest.

Toby is a boy when it comes down to it. Based on the talk Emily had with her mother, the struggle with her sexuality is at a far higher level than hanging with a boy others don't like. The way it has been depicted, I would not even say it is in the same ballpark in terms of how scared Emily is. There is an immense gulf between a girl being afraid of people finding out she is queer and a girl being concerned what people think if she befriends an outcast of a boy.

Edited by Brakchi, Jul 18, 2010 @ 8:58 PM.

mstms

mstms

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 18, 2010 @ 9:55 PM

Chemistry is subjective, but to me, even if I want to, I just dont see any chemistry between Maya and Emily. And it has nothing to do with finding Toby hot, I dont, I think him and Emily is hot, wich is way different.

Edited by mstms, Jul 19, 2010 @ 12:44 AM.

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2010 @ 10:29 PM

[snip] Bianca Lawson and Shay Mitchell are two of the weakest actors on the show

Bingo.

Shay Mitchell isn't QUITE as bad as Bianca Lawson, but she's definitely the weakest of the four girls (acting-wise) by QUITE a bit.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Jul 20, 2010 @ 9:28 PM.
Quote had been edited

FelicitySerena

FelicitySerena

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 18, 2010 @ 10:58 PM

Like, isn't she supposed to be bi with a boyfriend? I wish they would tell us if they've broken up (likely with the distance) or what.

In the first book Maya mentions wanting to break up with her boyfriend because she thinks she loves Emily. Then Emily says she wants to break up with her boyfriend. I haven't read far enough to see if Maya does (since we know Emily does). Probably something the writers of the show forgot about.

ETA: Shay Mitchell is definitely the weakest of the four girls. I like Maya and Emily in the book but the TV version of their relationship is terrible.

Edited by FelicitySerena, Jul 18, 2010 @ 11:00 PM.

TheLabRat

TheLabRat

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2010 @ 3:43 AM

I actually thought their kisses were sweet but they aren't working for me either and I don't mind either actress that much, in spite of their weaknesses as performers. I'm pretty easy though; I'll see where they go with it before I decide.

holly hobby

holly hobby

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 19, 2010 @ 7:04 AM

Based on the talk Emily had with her mother, the struggle with her sexuality is at a far higher level than hanging with a boy others don't like.

Or maybe Emily just likes Toby more than she likes Maya.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Jul 20, 2010 @ 9:32 PM.
Boards-on-boards, manners

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted Jul 19, 2010 @ 8:21 AM

I actually like Bianca Lawson, although I'm not sure if I'd have cast her as Maya. And I personally don't see a lot of chemistry between Toby and Emily. I don't think Maya and Emily have mindblowing chemistry either, although they are preferable to Toby/Emily for me.

I guess I too am tired of the whole Mr. Angsty Misunderstood Emo Boy type of character, which makes me prejudiced against Toby right off the bat, heh.

Houddy

Houddy

Stalker

Posted Jul 19, 2010 @ 12:17 PM

When compared with Maya and Emily, a relationship that has strong chemistry, it is intriguing. By disallowing Toby and Emily an ounce of written or acted chemistry

I feel the exact oposite way which is frustrating because, on paper I love the Emily/Maya pairing and think it could be a great story, but onscreen they are boring and have no chemistry for me at all, not even as friends, just nothing. It's two people who are being forced to be in a scene together and have no real connection at all. While I think Toby/Emily could also have a decent storyline in there, if not the more often done storyline, but I feel like the two actors just click remarkably well and the Toby scene's are some of the best acting I've seen Emily do. It's a shame because I would like to prefer Emily/Maya but the lack of any connection between the actresses is ruining it for me.

And while I agree that, if I were ranking them in age, Troian would slightly edge out Bianca as the oldest looking, I think it fits her character, who is very serious, driven and would probably age faster with all the stress she's under while Maya the free spirited pot smoker doesn't strike me as a character who should look upwards of 25 when she's supposed to be at most 17. Unless she's rediculously stupid and hasn't been able to graduate high school for the past 9 years or so.

[snip]
I have used the word predator irt Maya, which I was half joking about anyway, but for me I think it's because Maya looks and acts like she's a 30 year old professional hitting on a teenage girl. It's how I would feel about WRen and Spencer if Spencer didn't look so old herself or Fitz and Aria if it weren't Aria who seems to be the one pushing the relationship. I don't think she's actually a predator or even creepy but it is just such an imbalance to me. It's not about lesbianism at all. Perhaps it's ageism. LOL

I really wonder why they cast Bianca Lawson who is not even close to the age of her character and really isn't a good enough actress to pull it off and make me think she's supposed to be 16. They should have switched the storylines and made them the "Hot for teacher" storyline. I could buy BL as a 20 something teacher that her student's thought was hot. She is beautiful, she just doesn't read as 16 even with the vasoline lens covers and soft lighting.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Jul 20, 2010 @ 9:39 PM.
Quote was deleted

Danie84

Danie84

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2010 @ 2:09 PM

I actually like Bianca Lawson too, and I don't think she looks 31. But the fact that's her real age, and she's playing a highschool student is laughable. This is why I believe there is more to her character that meets the glaring eye.